EEP Finally Out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Polenth Yue said:

Unfortunately, at the moment EEP also means you're saying goodbye to working materials. Ebbe mentioned on Twitter that they were working on a fix, but I haven't seen any other confirmation of that. I updated before I realised, so don't be me... no need to update right this moment.

So, wait. You're saying that materials on everything -- clothes, hair, unattached objects -- no longer works when you're using EEP?

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, wait. You're saying that materials on everything -- clothes, hair, unattached objects -- no longer works when you're using EEP?

Stuff happens, but it's not really working. The most obvious thing is to look at shiny objects under the sun/moon. Most won't shine at all, unless their glossiness is set very high. That means all those subtle shines, glitters and pearl effects... they don't work. The world looks very flat again.

Under local lights, different things happen depending on settings, but generally it shines brighter than before.

I probably noticed faster than most because my cap is shiny, so it was very noticeable that I suddenly looked flat as though I had no materials at all.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, animats said:

highnoon.thumb.jpg.48641fdbc37a7f1b39a29da07c6b9312.jpg

High noon on mainland. Default environment, EEP, ultra settings.

Something's wrong here. This is far too dark. It's like there's no diffuse sky illumination. Look at the dark wall on the church.

It really amazes me that LL released this version of EEP (thus making it mandatory for anyone using the Linden Viewer) when they knew there were still major problems -- ones they didn't plan on fixing. It's not like there haven't been hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of examples of what ISN'T working.  And at the same time Ebbe "warning" creators that they may need to remake some (some?) of their items.   

It's a bit like the last name debacle of so many years ago.  They were told OH SO MANY TIMES that people wanted last names and then they removed them anyway.  Since the large majority of folks use Firestorm, only those testing EEP are really seeing the consequences. I am dreading the day when I have to choose between seeing the world as it is now without EEP and the Firestorm viewer that I love and appreciate. 

This is particularly hard for photographers.

Edit: What ever happened to not breaking content? 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens

There are a couple of different issues here:

- The dark ambient on mainland is caused by an environment setting that's actually stored for each region. At one point the default setting had too-dark ambient lighting (which has since been fixed) and the mainland regions had their environment information set during that time. Unfortunately there isn't any simple way to change these settings for all the mainland regions. We are looking into options but the situation is likely to persist for a while.

- The mesh shininess issue is being worked on now, and we will get a fix out in a viewer as soon as we can. Hopefully this one can be resolved more quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, Vir Linden said:

he dark ambient on mainland is caused by an environment setting that's actually stored for each region. At one point the default setting had too-dark ambient lighting (which has since been fixed) and the mainland regions had their environment information set during that time. Unfortunately there isn't any simple way to change these settings for all the mainland regions.

Now that the Firestorm beta with EEP is out, more people are seeing the dim world.

If you're in a Firestorm with EEP, and you are on a parcel of your own, and you click Parcel Details->Environment->Customize, and the lighting changes, that seems to mean the region and the region default are out of sync.  It looks like this was fixed for some regions, but not others. Some mainland sims:

• Reeds Landing - OK
  • Vallone - Too dark.
  • Bay City - OK
  • Bruissac - Too dark
  • De Campion - Too dark

Seems to be a regional problem. Regions near each of those regions seem to be the same as those listed.

Edited by animats
More too dark places
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

so basically just wait on eep until the fix the bugs more.. sounds about normal for most new features that get added.

Or jump right in. 

It really depends on who you are. I jump right in, because it's never just about 1 single thing. There are always other updates and new things. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Willow Wilder said:

Or jump right in. 

It really depends on who you are. I jump right in, because it's never just about 1 single thing. There are always other updates and new things. 

i prefer to wait until things run a little smoother, dont need to be the first try out the latest newest glitchy/bug ridden feature until its been fleshed out more and the bugs and glitches properly stomped on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I am going to download the Firestorm public EEP test viewer, but keep the ordinary Firestorm too.

I am far too curious to wait. If it is laggy and/or full of bugs, I log out from the EEP viewer and use the other.

Yay for curiosity! The advantage of the beta is, it will install to a different folder than the current release, so you can easily switch back and forth if needed, or even just for comparison. 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I've played with it on Black Dragon and its pretty sweet!

I've been using it for months on the Linden viewers, and on Kirsten's and Kokua. For what I've been doing with it, any eccentricities of lighting and shininess would never be noticeable, but that's because I've been playing with the absolute coolest thing about EEP: the ability to use Experiences to push a dynamic sequence of EEP environments to specific avatars (in my case, starting as they arrive on a parcel), giving the feel of dramatically changing weather.  It's infinitely more compelling than just rezzing-in at the peak of a storm that stays the same the whole time you're there.

I wrote about it for the Bay City Post a few months ago, when the feature was still newish in the released viewer. Feel free to try out the script if you have an Experience to use. (Sorry, I see the script formatting got eaten by the blog, so if you'd like a properly indented copy, drop me a PM or something.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lee McKay said:

Can't really avoid this one. EEP is on, and regardless of the viewer, you are affected by it. Might as well use a viewer that displays it correctly AND gives you some control over it.

You CAN avoid it for a long while still --- perhaps long enough for some of those major bugs to still be fixed. Note this is a FS BETA viewer and not a regular release, so it won't even count against the actual REAL NEED to update eventually.     I will say that Qie's post above has me interested :D.    AND my latest EEP tests on the current Linden viewer showed that there have been some good fixes since EEP went live a few months ago.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Until I see a way to lock eep to what ever I set it and prevent any changes from outside sources including ek's I think I will stay away from it. I dont like having my settings changed without my choice. ek or not, it still should be user choice if they want the change allowed or not.

this is where windlight still is superior in my opinnion. the fact you can turn on or off shared windlight preventing it from being changed by entering a sim or parcel that might have different settings.

sure some people are going to say that takes away from the immersion.. but i could care less.. immersion is not the be all end all of reasons for everyone that plays sl.

If I want to stay at midday every place I go to it should be my choice and not the sim or parcel or ek owners choice.

i derender most obnoxious items anyways on sims. so any weather system I would be wasting time trying to derender  the clouds and what ever else it had. you can keep your ambiance and lighting and forced immersion away from me.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Until I see a way to lock eep to what ever I set it and prevent any changes from outside sources including ek's I think I will stay away from it. I dont like having my settings changed without my choice. ek or not, it still should be user choice if they want the change allowed or not.

you can keep your ambiance and lighting and forced immersion away from me.

Exactly. Especially when everyone's tastes and preferences are different. Forcing, say, a dark ambience when someone prefers the opposite is only going to be frustrating for users.

Granted I haven't tested it out yet so maybe there's a way around it. Here's hoping.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

is best to have a play with a EEP-enabled viewer and you will find that it does what you want

with Linden viewer then menu: World \ Environment \ Use Shared Environment is by default enabled. When enabled then our environment will change according to the parcel EEP settings

to have a constant environment then same as before. Menu: World \ Environment \  Midday | Sunrise | etc.  When set to say Midday we can also modify this (change it up a bit) with menu World \ Environment \ Personal Lighting.  Or if we have created our own environment sets then menu: World \ Environment \ My Environments. When we do this then our viewer will not change to the parcel EEP settings

if we want our environment to persist across logins then is same as before also.  menu Advanced \ Show Debug Settings \ EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin = TRUE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

is best to have a play with a EEP-enabled viewer and you will find that it does what you want

with Linden viewer then menu: World \ Environment \ Use Shared Environment is by default enabled. When enabled then our environment will change according to the parcel EEP settings

to have a constant environment then same as before. Menu: World \ Environment \  Midday | Sunrise | etc.  When set to say Midday we can also modify this (change it up a bit) with menu World \ Environment \ Personal Lighting.  Or if we have created our own environment sets then menu: World \ Environment \ My Environments. When we do this then our viewer will not change to the parcel EEP settings

if we want our environment to persist across logins then is same as before also.  menu Advanced \ Show Debug Settings \ EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin = TRUE

I use fire storm and in their current eep beta there does not seem to be a way to stop it unless I missed something. if there is I might give it another chance if not.. then no. I dont like apps that think they know what I want to do and make changes without my choice in it. i dont care what some sim/parcel owner thinks is cool for eep.. most of the time i just keep mine on mid-day all the time. I dont care for it or need it or want it to get dark or have weather or anything like that..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I use fire storm and in their current eep beta there does not seem to be a way to stop it unless I missed something

the Firestorm EEP menu and debug settings are the same as the Linden viewer. Both viewers do the same things in the same way. They enable us to choose to control our viewer environment as we want it

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the Firestorm EEP menu and debug settings are the same as the Linden viewer. Both viewers do the same things in the same way. They enable us to choose to control our viewer environment as we want it

not sure if that is true when it comes to eep.. especially since the eep viewer for fs is only a beta.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

not sure if that is true when it comes to eep.. especially since the eep viewer for fs is only a beta.

it is true. Just have to login to the viewers (Linden standard and Firestorm EEP Beta) to see that it is as I described in first post

9 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

it is true. Just have to login to the viewers (Linden standard and Firestorm EEP Beta) to see that it is as I described in first post

seems as if it does have the shared setting, but the big question is will it stop ek's from changing the setting. I dont like the idea that ek's could push changes against your choice.

9 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

seems as if it does have the shared setting, but the big question is will it stop ek's from changing the setting. I dont like the idea that ek's could push changes against your choice.

the question has already been answered by Linden in the EEP implementation. Our viewer will only use a estate, parcel or Experience environment when we enable: Use Shared Environment

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.