EEP Finally Out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, I watched the video last night and thought the interface looked clearer than what we have now.  I still haven't tried it though in case Something Goes Wrong. :) 

I just remember how very not well the initial roll-out went.

I'm also a bit concerned about how this will impact on our ability to customize sky and light settings, and I worry (being a very simple person) about the learning curve.

But I'm sure it will all work out well.

Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I worry (being a very simple person) about the learning curve

From what I gather, as a consumer it will be easier to swap your local windlight setting.  Instead of going through the menus to find the right list of settings, you just "wear" from inventory.  For a lot of people this is all they will ever do.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

From what I gather, as a consumer it will be easier to swap your local windlight setting.  Instead of going through the menus to find the right list of settings, you just "wear" from inventory.  For a lot of people this is all they will ever do.

That seems true, and is a good thing, I suppose. As a photographer, though, I customize Windlight a lot, so I'll have to learn how to do this. It doesn't look vastly different, so I'm sure I'll manage.

I'll be interested to see how this ends up being monetized. How much will a new EEP setting cost on the open market? (I see Juicy Bomb is already selling some for L$1 each.) And I presume these will have permissions attached, so some may not be mod, or transfer.

In any case, neither FS nor BD (I assume) has this yet, so I can put off wrestling with it for a little while.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I watched the video last night. Think I can finally die happy, now that Patch has mooned* at me ;)

*watch to the very end

Yes, I enjoyed that! And parts of the voice-over -- at least, in the bits I could make out -- were cute and funny.

I do kinda wish they hadn't morphed the voice quite so much, though.

They really need to use a normal voiced narrator and not use a Linden Realms mascot that who knows how many are actually aware of, especially those new to SL.

Someone needs to fill Torley Linden's shoes.

Fun Fact:

Work on EEP was publicly announced on June 13, 2017 at 12:16:27 PDT. That's almost 3 years ago! 😲

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 5

So here's a thing you can do with EEP and Experiences. Eventually I'll figure out how to write up a "how to" recipe for the Bay City Post, but just the concept here:

You know how you get a spooky feeling when the weather changes for the worse? Clouds move in, lighting changes, the sea gets heavy, etc? Visitors to your parcel can feel that spookiness for themselves if they'll agree to your Experience and you have a script that notices their presence and calls llReplaceAgentEnvironment() with successively gloomier EEP settings. The ability to do it per-agent is how each visitor will get a progressively spookier experience.

Of course the "change of weather" effect also works the other way: everybody feels happier when the sun comes out from the clouds -- and the change is much more effective than just being sunny all the time. With EEP we can give each visitor that uplifting effect.

Passage of time is not the only thing that can trigger a change of EEP environment -- that's all up to the script. Maybe one room is particularly bright, with particularly weird lighting: this way individuals who enter that room can get that effect, while outside that room the environment is different. The script just needs to track where visitors roam and update their environments accordingly. Or maybe trigger environments by level in an in-world game, or in response to some scripted role-play interaction.

Hint for wind, thunder, bird song, waves, etc: llPlaySound() in a HUD is heard only by the wearer; llAttachToAvatarTemp() gets that HUD worn by Experience participants.

Rain? Can't help you there. There's fog, though, kinda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I think its a good thing it is now an object in inventory. After all, our inventory is never big enough, and finding things in there is so super easy......

Yes, but it doesn't need to be in YOUR inventory - it can be in a scripted object's inventory. Like a texture organizer for environment settings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

They really need to use a normal voiced narrator and not use a Linden Realms mascot that who knows how many are actually aware of, especially those new to SL.

This "mascot" is Abnor Mole, the senior LPDW employee who has been and is still building large parts of Belliseria and literally head of the Moles. He probably knows much more about EEP than Torley does because Abnor uses it on a daily basis as part of the region building her does.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

This "mascot" is Abnor Mole, the senior LPDW employee who has been and is still building large parts of Belliseria and literally head of the Moles. He probably knows much more about EEP than Torley does because Abnor uses it on a daily basis as part of the region building her does.

Great. Still, they were hard to understand because of the voice morphing as mentioned by many commentors on the video.

[EDIT] I went back and listened to Abnor Mole on old interviews. He sounds fine without a voice morpher. Good enought to present future how-to videos without it going forward.

Also, my reference to Torley was solely for the fact he used to do such videos in the past.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2

/me goes to hide

I haven't worked up the energy for BOM yet.

I just started figuring out Black Dragon.

One thing I have sort of mastered is WL (and water etc). I have not watched the video but I did start reading the Forum for info, trying to pick through the most recent threads. I got a good case of deer-in-headlights. 

And it is an object? Like someone else said about the ease of finding things in your inventory.

It seems we can bypass this stuff? FireStorm doesn't have it yet? I've only ever used FS (and its predecessors).

ohgawd. The sky may be literally falling now!

Pretty sure that means SL is dying now, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I spent the afternoon testing and comparing the same Windlight settings in non-EEP Firestorm and the new Linden viewer.   You can check those out on my blog if interested. 

The bottom line of my testing was that there are HUGE inconsistencies which are pretty puzzling. It does seem like they have solved many of the OMG issues of the last couple of years (at least nothing horrible happened on my shoots :D).  I will need to see if I can tweak my old Windlights to get them near to what I expect but that is for another day. 

I wasn't thrilled or even watched all of the video. I thought it was terrifically difficult to understand. Too cutesy for me. I wanted clear and concise info. The wiki happily seems to have that.  

I suspect that many of the regular citizens will be fine with EEP -- and the scripting folks too perhaps. I an not too sure that the photographers and filmmakers will embrace it with relish however. Time will let us know.   Windlight was with us for well over a decade. I will miss it. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.