Avocados & Avocatos & Death & Taxes & Religion & Viewer Tips & ...

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, ketchup is the devil's condiment; that's why it is red. 🤢

Ranch is just fancy mayo.

My favorite dipping sauce is a good salsa with cilantro.  Home made is best so as not too vinegary.  

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I love a good hot sauce that is hot enough to feel, but not so hot that it kills the taste of whatever it's on.

I always thought a good hot sauce should add texture.  You need to feel it.  But how much is just right is all dependent on the individual.    I grew up in West Texas and Southeastern New Mexico.  What I call "a little warm" would set some people on fire but only counts as mild for Thai food :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I always thought a good hot sauce should add texture.  You need to feel it.  But how much is just right is all dependent on the individual.    I grew up in West Texas and Southeastern New Mexico.  What I call "a little warm" would set some people on fire but only counts as mild for Thai food :)

It's a totally different profile to the heat too - The pepper profile for southwest and Mexican cuisine is deliciously complex from the balance of different peppers alone, but the number of different types of pepper bringing in both heat and flavor is lower in Thai and Indian cuisines - they have other, non-pepper, complexities of flavor available to them that are not locally available to the southwest or Mexican cook - and just take a short boat ride out to the Carribbean and the profile changes again, with different local pepper types.

• Like 3

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

Explain this then!

That looks genuinely repulsive. Not just the colour, but how goopy it looks - it's like acrylic paint. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I make a pretty wicked wasabi mayo that goes really well with my recipe for any strong oily fish cooked in soy and ginger... 

Mmmm, so what time is dinner? Should I hunt down a bottle of Namazake? 

as far as Mexican/Southwest  chile, I favor the NM #20 for rellanos, fire roasted Big Jim as chopped chile and then smoked (chipotle morita in adobo with ancho and pasilla ) for lively red sauces. Thankfully getting Hatch green varieties shipped in and roasted is a thing now. I really crave it sometimes.

5D2225C6-E8F5-47D3-A71A-5531816E75D9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

With all the mixed reviews regarding mayo, let's shift the topic just a bit:

What is the best dipping sauce? What is the condiment you reach for constantly? What bottle is always in your fridge no matter what? Are there different favorites depending on the food? What is your opinion of ranch dressing?

I am personally a big fan of most sauces (heh) but I'd have to say that... er... oh hell, I can't pick just one, I don't think. Maybe if I did a bracket like the NCAA tournament I could narrow it down. 

I love vinegary things on everything, especially balsamic vinegary things. My dressing of choice would be blue cheese with great big chunks of blue cheese in it... not smooth and over-processed.  I love a good hot sauce that is hot enough to feel, but not so hot that it kills the taste of whatever it's on. With really hot and crispy french fries, you just can't beat plain old ketchup. 

Ranch dressing can go to hell. Nasty stuff that always tastes like chemicals to me.

Worcestershire
Honey BBQ
Teriyaki marinade

Like with mayo, homemade ranch is best.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Yay, new roomies! 

My list of things getting me sent below is long and illustrious. Of course the top item on the list is not believing in hell at all, so there's that.

And if I'm wrong and it is real, that's where are the groovy people are going to be anyway. 

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

What is the best dipping sauce? What is the condiment you reach for constantly? What bottle is always in your fridge no matter what? Are there different favorites depending on the food? What is your opinion of ranch dressing?

This varies seasonally. Dipping, usually any ‘pan sauce’ that’s easy to whip up. I make fridge pickles in August or September, usually a hot mix veg variety so from about oct through spring we eat our way through those as a condiment or little side thing. I make Sakura sauce fairly often, there’s always Dijon mustard, rooster sauce, a tube of tomato paste, raw horseradish, pickled ginger, rice vinegar and Worcestershire in the fridge, fire roasted green chile in the freezer and a can of chipotle with adobo sauce and one of wasabi powder in the pantry. I really only like buttermilk ranch made at home with the little powder packet in summer occasionally, I’m a buttermilk bleue cheese gal when it comes to salad dressing, otherwise balsamic vinegar and olive oil with flavorful additions made in small quantities. Commercial bottled ranch and most dressings honestly have an unpleasant and gloopy texture to me. Exceptions are Skinnygirl dressings which I actually do really like and buy sometimes.

• Like 2

I used to have much more adventurous taste buds.  Cooking for an autistic child for 27 years has kinda made me a wimp again. It seems like her taste buds are much more sensitive than average and she doesn't like anything spicy or hot. I've gotten so used to eating plain foods or very lightly seasoned that a little goes a long way for me now. Creamy sauces with maybe one or two herbs are as exciting as we get at my house. More often than not we just go with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper(very light on the pepper)

I used to love Cajun seasoning, hot mustard, wasabi, hot salsa, and tons of fresh garlic. Now I find, that I can handle only the mildest of salsa, no wasabi, just a wee bit of garlic, or a little teeny dab of hot mustard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I rarely put sauces of any kind on food, except for whatever I conjure up to put in the wok with a stir fry.  I do put a dash of Worcestershire sauce in some things, but that's not so much a "sauce" as a liquid flavoring, despite its name.  Oh, and I put vinegar on fish and chips, on those rare occasions when I find myself somewhere that serves fish and chips. And, now that I think of it, I have a jar of some wasabi/ginger goo that I have sometimes put on baked chicken -- again, not exactly a sauce but a glaze.  But ranch dressing?  YUCK.  It even looks repulsive.

• Like 1

OK, I am now officially grossed out.

"Chicken fetus spread".  Purple ketchup.  Chemical ranch dressing.

At least you guys are helping my diet.

Oh... speaking of spreads...did anyone see that Jif peanut butter has a limited edition run with "GIF" printed on the jar?  Apparently some people call an image using the GIF file format a "jif", and the peanut butter giant decided to riff on it.

image.png.f7d295acd876035233d89fdadfe0c3d2.png

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.