Avocados & Avocatos & Death & Taxes & Religion & Viewer Tips & ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that I have the bases covered for the appropriate topics for this thread (also suitable to include: food and beverage of any sort, English, language, music, #OKBoomer, tap dancing... and everythin

There used to be an elderly man in town that used to spend his day's going around to elderly widowed women's houses in town.. He would take care of their lawns and anything else they may have needed f

Hotel Chocolat are a British company but I think they will probably ship to Canada and the US: They do chocolate bars and batons in several different strengths, including 100% chocolate (with a c

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Also, the beach house was bought by both couples decades ago, Grace owned her own successful company, and Robert and Sol were lawyers. It isn't that unrealistic. 

You used the term sugar coat. I don’t mind sugar coating, I just define it differently. 

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'd never waste food like that!

Unless it was all part of a W&M orgy...

I’m on my phone, so your tiny script looked like M&M orgy at first. I was thinking that I’m not sure what that is, but am not opposed!

• Haha 3

I'm just gonna sneak this in here because I need to vent. I probably should go into the pet peeve thread, but I'm going to weasle it in here. I am generally relatively friendly inworld. I am shy, introverted (though you'd be hard pressed to know that on a few sims) but if I get asked a question in a nice way, I'll answer and often go out of my way to help the person. I have rarely ever rescued a noob, though. And now I remember why. :::banging head on desk::: In the category: No Good Deed Unpunished, I have now created a lovesick puppy. Nipping at my heels at all hours. My long-time friends know that they may not hear from me for months at a time, I'm that crap of an inworld friend. This dude... zomg... "are you there?" "are you there?" "are you there yet?" "let's hang out!" "whatareyoudoing?"

I want to be nice. I have given some firm, blunt replies, but kept it nice. The dude is a nice dude. But FFS...  Kill Me Now. :) Please. Just do it.

• Like 4
Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I'm just gonna sneak this in here because I need to vent. I probably should go into the pet peeve thread, but I'm going to weasle it in here. I am generally relatively friendly inworld. I am shy, introverted (though you'd be hard pressed to know that on a few sims) but if I get asked a question in a nice way, I'll answer and often go out of my way to help the person. I have rarely ever rescued a noob, though. And now I remember why. :::banging head on desk::: In the category: No Good Deed Unpunished, I have now created a lovesick puppy. Nipping at my heels at all hours. My long-time friends know that they may not hear from me for months at a time, I'm that crap of an inworld friend. This dude... zomg... "are you there?" "are you there?" "are you there yet?" "let's hang out!" "whatareyoudoing?"

I want to be nice. I have given some firm, blunt replies, but kept it nice. The dude is a nice dude. But FFS...  Kill Me Now. :) Please. Just do it.

You don't have to be too nice. You don't need to be unkind, but you can tell him that you don't have time or energy to be that close and you need your space. And if he really doesn't get it, you can unfriend.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

It's a balance. I help out a lot in world and I love doing it but yeah, it gets demanding on limited time sometimes.......

Just duck behind an alt.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:
Seicher Rae said:

I don't think I've used the word "nice" so often in one sitting before, or heck, one entire thread. Nice work there, me!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

I don't think I've used the word "nice" so often in one sitting before, or heck, one entire thread. Nice work there, me!

I'm afraid that, much as I appreciate a principled, brave, decent and caring man, the word "nice" is usually the kiss of death. It just isn't the word we choose when we're feeling it, even if they are exemplary human beings. 

With regards to repetition, I wouldn't worry. I repeat words and put clumsy sentences on here all the time, we're mostly doing it all off the tops of our heads. Years of professional writing and editing have cured me of any need to be absolutely correct and polished all the time,  especially when it doesn't matter...and there really are times when perfect grammar and prose don't matter. When they do, I'm on it.

• Like 2

Did I miss the religious posts the topic claims are allowed?
Not that I have anything to say, I'm just stirring the pot  ...

On 2/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

I repeat words and put clumsy sentences on here all the time,

I will write a sentence, re-read the sentence before hitting submit and then read what I just posted only to find out the next day it sounds like it was written by a 3rd grader. :( I think I tend to read what I expect to be there rather than what is actually there at those times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I will write a sentence, re-read the sentence before hitting submit and then read what I just posted only to find out the next day it sounds like it was written by a 3rd grader. :( I think I tend to read what I expect to be there rather than what is actually there at those times.

It really, really, really doesn't matter. I made a post recently that used the word "things" like it was going out of fashion. I expect most of us have had to put in a hasty clarification when we realise we've written something that didn't quite come out right but in the sense of perfectly crafted literary art on this forum or in text messages etc, it really really doesn't matter. 

I've been writing and editing (and being edited) professionally for years and the hubris gets knocked out of you very quickly. It's simply not possible to process huge quantities of text and never miss anything, especially when you've gone totally copy blind. (That's why someone else edits you and you get several people going over it.) You also learn all sorts of nuances and details that you didn't know about. 

It's not that we don't care about good grammar or prose, or constantly strive for perfection. When it matters, we will be pedantic and precise and check and rewrite the thing until Doomsday. It's just that after some time in the field, we realise how very human we all are and how even the cleverest person will sometimes miss something. We also realise how much crafting really good writing takes and even then someone's going to hate it. 

With internet forums, you can get an overall impression of someone's expressive capacities without too much trouble. If an intelligent and articulate person occasionally splits an infinitive or something, it really does. Not. Matter. It also doesn't matter if someone who's not a great writer wants to join in the discussion. How many of us are bashing this out on our phones while making dinner? 

• Like 4
On 2/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, Seicher Rae said:

He is lonely probably in SL and Rl as well.  When I was younger I used to do the same thing when I had somebody to talk to I would be a total energy vampire and I would pester that person all day long when I could as I had nobody else. I grow upt that problem I don't talk to nobody know what sorted that problem. 

If you want to "get rid" of him introduce hi to more people. 

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It really, really, really doesn't matter. I made a post recently that used the word "things" like it was going out of fashion. I expect most of us have had to put in a hasty clarification when we realise we've written something that didn't quite come out right but in the sense of perfectly crafted literary art on this forum or in text messages etc, it really really doesn't matter. 

I've been writing and editing (and being edited) professionally for years and the hubris gets knocked out of you very quickly. It's simply not possible to process huge quantities of text and never miss anything, especially when you've gone totally copy blind. (That's why someone else edits you and you get several people going over it.) You also learn all sorts of nuances and details that you didn't know about. 

It's not that we don't care about good grammar or prose, or constantly strive for perfection. When it matters, we will be pedantic and precise and check and rewrite the thing until Doomsday. It's just that after some time in the field, we realise how very human we all are and how even the cleverest person will sometimes miss something. We also realise how much crafting really good writing takes and even then someone's going to hate it. 

With internet forums, you can get an overall impression of someone's expressive capacities without too much trouble. If an intelligent and articulate person occasionally splits an infinitive or something, it really does. Not. Matter. It also doesn't matter if someone who's not a great writer wants to join in the discussion. How many of us are bashing this out on our phones while making dinner? 

In forums, it doesn't matter.  In actual journalism published by mainstream media, it does matter.  And the mainstream media is falling down on the job.  Editing and proofreading are becoming things of the past.  I am seeing SO many articles from major sources (even Time magazine, forsooth!) that contain typos, misspellings, duplication of duplication of text, grammatical errors, and errors produced by digital scanning software and not corrected.  It's driving me crazy.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

24 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In forums, it doesn't matter.  In actual journalism published by mainstream media, it does matter.  And the mainstream media is falling down on the job.  Editing and proofreading are becoming things of the past.  I am seeing SO many articles from major sources (even Time magazine, forsooth!) that contain typos, misspellings, duplication of duplication of text, grammatical errors, and errors produced by digital scanning software and not corrected.  It's driving me crazy.

I don't consider it a really successful bit of forum prose unless I've had to go in (usually within about 20 seconds of hitting "submit") and edit/revise it at least once.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I'm a sloppy writer -- but that I'd probably make a pretty competent editor.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't consider it a really successful bit of forum prose unless I've had to go in (usually within about 20 seconds of hitting "submit") and edit/revise it at least once.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I'm a sloppy writer -- but that I'd probably make a pretty competent editor.

Oh, I do this ALL the time!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
35 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, I do this ALL the time!

I really hate those people who post just to say "Me too".

But me too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Did I miss the religious posts the topic claims are allowed?
Not that I have anything to say, I'm just stirring the pot  ...

Stir as many pots as you will. Smoke as much pot as you will.  Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. bwahahahahaha

And @Rolig Loon hates people who chime in with just "me too!" (Me too!) So that is why I had to write those first lines, because as to your sentence writing methodology... Me Too! :) (And the last few weeks have been particularly bad.)

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Editing definitely makes you a better writer, but editing someone else's work is very different to editing your own. 

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Unfortunately, it's nothing new. It's more online than in print that this happens, and it's a result of the ever increasing need to get as much content out there as quickly as possible. I suppose it's always been that way since the days of hot metal, but deadlines now are another level to back then. When everyone with a phone is uploading their own content several times a day too, there's never been a faster or larger flow of information, much of it wrong and appalling quality, but still competition for readers and attention. An awful lot of online content isn't actually edited at all now, but everyone, no matter how clever and brilliant and literary they are, needs an editor. Thanks to search engine optimisation, we also get repetition and clunky sentences. It's certainly possible to produce well-written optimised copy, but it is definitely harder and sometimes there's just no way to get the required keyword density in there without echoes. Then even when we do get to creative writing, there are people who will complain about grammatical errors even when those "errors" are actually intentional; perhaps because that's the way the character speaks, or you're breaking the rules for dramatic effect in the text. People are fine when musicians do it! Why can't we?? It's encouraged in poetry, luckily.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.