Do you click?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We also need a "raised eyebrow" button.

We have one on the other forum I use (well, an emoji, no reactions to posts). Could be the way the face makes it look, but it's always used to convey disdain or disapproval.

• Thanks 1

I overclick the picture threads and under click most others.

I do think new posters on the picture threads should be supported.

Most other threads, I only click where I have an instant response.

On the matter of disagreements, I just don't have time to get bogged down in walls of text debate on line. The most you'll get from me is one response. If we don't agree, it doesn't bother me at all.9_9

• Like 7

Usually just in replies to my own posts or topics. I’m not really a fan of virtual point collecting like that, as a denizen who prefers the more anonymous web. 
But just the same, I don’t expect reactions to my own stuff.

Ironically, my more controversial posts get a lot of the “haha” reactions which still count as virtual clout I guess.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, janetosilio said:

Thumbs down/dislike reaction would be a really, really....reeeeeeally bad idea.

Negative reactions were discussed with Lindens here when they were setting up this forum. The consensus then was we don’t want them. Nothing has changed since then (other than the world going up in flames more noticeably than ever).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Not so much although I suppose it could. Classic example here. It could be because it looks like it has a pursed, disapproving little mouth.

20200129_195504.jpg

🤨Mine looks like someone just told a lie. About who ate the last of the chocolate bar. So it combines disapproval and skepticism.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

No one here is entitled to my words, even when I post a sad face, or confused face, or the scorn laugh. Wanting to let someone know I disagree or disprove of their post without having to write a single word in response doesn't mean I'm lazy. It means I'm on my phone where it's a pain in the butt to write a response, or that I just don't care enough to write a response, or I don't want to start the brain-numbing back and forth argument that will solve nothing, or any number of things. 

No one owes anyone a response to anything, polite or rude. You get what you get when you get it. 

Considering how few actual residents use these forums, and how virulent they are, I really think LL should just shut them down. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

No one here is entitled to my words, even when I post a sad face, or confused face, or the scorn laugh. Wanting to let someone know I disagree or disprove of their post without having to write a single word in response doesn't mean I'm lazy. It means I'm on my phone where it's a pain in the butt to write a response, or that I just don't care enough to write a response, or I don't want to start the brain-numbing back and forth argument that will solve nothing, or any number of things. 

No one owes anyone a response to anything, polite or rude. You get what you get when you get it. 

Considering how few actual residents use these forums, and how virulent they are, I really think LL should just shut them down. 

I was totally with you until that last phrase.

• Like 5

I think that there is a lot of value from the Forums, even with the sections or posts that take an ugly turn.  There is also a difference between how many use the forum in terms of being active posting in it, and the number of those that 'use' the forums as an information source and may not ever log in or post here themselves.

Beyond the Answers section, there is a lot of information shared and people helped by many of the sections of the Creation forum, particularly in the scripting related sub-forums. When new functionality is underway - like Bento, Animesh, Bakes on Mesh - there is generally a thread started about it by one of the Lindens in the Creation forum, for feedback and discussion with creators and early adopters.  There was a lot of discussion about jelly dolls and avatar complexity, so that when jelly dolls went live I felt like I understood what was going on, and didn't think my viewer or graphics were broken. 

I'm not sure that I would have gone to a mesh body and head if I hadn't been reading all the posts in the People forum answering other's questions about the process, plus seeing all the pictures in the 'how does your avatar look thread' and the 'vanity' thread.   (Oddly enough, I think it was the thread started by Phil with all his questions about changing to a mesh avatar, that had enough helpful information contributed so that I felt like I understood enough to make the move as well.)

I often read (or at least skim through) threads in the more technical sub-forums, even when I don't completely understand because it helps me to be more familiar with terms and techniques used, and sometimes there are little parts that I understand and can use in how I do things in-world.

The entire 'Linden Homes' forum is very active and didn't even exist prior to the homes being released initially.  I would like to think that it has been helpful and inspirational for those trying to get LInden Homes, or in decorating or becoming part of the Bellisseria community.

• Like 6

I do use the reaction buttons at times if what I'm reading has moved my emotions in someway. If I agree with something I've read on a deep level, that always gets the like reaction usually. Unless it's something that really speaks to me on a deeper level. If that's the case, it will get the thanks reaction. If I read something humorous, it gets the giggle reaction. If I read something confusing, the confused reaction. 

if I don't agree with something, most of the time I will leave it be because i figure if I've nothing nice to impart, I shouldn't impart anything. I do wish there was a love reaction and a thumbs up one. I would use those quite a bit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can see a real use for something like a "hug" button.

I don't see a lot of legitimate purpose, myself, for the use of negative reaction buttons. Both the "confused" and "laugh" buttons are way too ambiguous. The "laugh" one, when used to signify "scorn," I find particularly unuseful, or even counterproductive. It's dismissive, and it signifies "superiority" without making the effort to earn it. If you are going to disagree with something, then at least have the basic courtesy to explain why. Otherwise, it's the internet version of saying "No! Because I said so."

i think Hug buttons can be worse in the way they can be used to scorn/troll somebody else

if there was a Hug button then I would prefer it to be permissioned.  Like: HugsYou Resident has offered to hug you

we can either Accept or Ignore the offer.  When Accept then it shows up on the post  When Ignore then nothing happens

getting hugged by random people, without any say ourselves in the hug, is I think pretty creepy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.