Do you click?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

I suspect I am, because it seems contradictory to me to say "I wouldn't get rid of replies, I'd just make it so people don't reply".

I'll also take a moment to expand upon my original point. I've always believed there's nothing wrong with being incorrect, mistaken, or even ignorant. Having someone helpfully and/or politely explain something can be a nice thing to experience. Simply clicking a negative button and moving on leaves that person with that incorrect information and they may even spread it to others.

It's not contradictory to give someone an easier alternative to express disagreement.  I also don't see a particular difference between a generic "like" and a generic "dislike".  It's not saying "you have wrong information", it's saying "for whatever reason I do not like/agree with what you are saying."  Similarly, the "like" button doesn't convey any more information than that, either, yet I don't see anyone suggesting we remove it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

on my forum (if I had one) you could say anything hurtful about anyone anytime you like.  I would just make you have to work for it

i  give a fuller contextual explanation of this. We are I think mostly (but not always) informed by the culture in which we live

i am native tribal person. In our meeting house, everybody can stand and speak and say whatever they like, on a subject that the speaker wants to bring to the attention of the tribe

in doing this tribal members can be very forthright in what they say, and how they say it. The etiquette is that the speaker is not talked over by anyone else - the speaker has the floor

the speaker says openly to all present, what they want to be said in the manner they choose. The speaker alone is responsible for everything they say. On the basis that they would not have said what they did in the way they did, if they were not willing to accept the responsibility of their words and manner

when that speaker is done then another will stand and speak either in support or against the subject matter. Or propose another path altogether which may lead to a resolution of a contentious issue

this can get pretty rugged, harsh even, at times

however, when a speaker is distressed or angry then is our responsibility to listen and try to understand, where their anger or distress is coming from. Which we can only do when the speaker articulates this

emoting things from the sidelines like shouting "Rubbish", "Nonsense", "Get out of here" etc, will result in a cousin/family member of that person hauling them outside and dealing to them. Which can get pretty harsh as well sometimes

got something to say then stand up and say it

getting a little bit deeper. For there to be harmony in a tribe then dealing to a person - disciplining them for breaches of etiquette/custom - as a part of teaching the youngers the ways of the tribe, is the responsibility of that person's family. When the family refuses to do this then disharmony descends on the tribe. The elders of the person's family understand this and act accordingly with their person

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Similarly, the "like" button doesn't convey any more information than that, either, yet I don't see anyone suggesting we remove it.

In RL when I agree, I say so. When I don’t agree I may tell them, but more often I just smile and say nothing. They get the point and we stay friends. I do that a lot these days. The forum is set up approximately like that. 

• Like 5

In response to the general Trend of the Thread:
If I were the Queen of the Forums, I'd add a Thumbs Up button.  I think it's more descriptive in many cases than a simple "heart".  I MIGHT consider a Thumbs Down button, but if Facebook et al. have decided that's a bad idea, maybe their experience merits careful consideration.  I'd get rid of the Sad and Confused choices; I hardly ever use them myself and I think they are easier to misinterpret than the others.  I like the idea of a Hug button!  I think @Love Zhaoying's use of customized animal emoticons has been a very effective means of nonverbal communication.

In response to the original Question:
I click the Likey icons pretty frequently, but sometimes I feel I don't click them often enough, or consistently.  For anyone who feels I've slighted them, click-wise, I'm sorry.  I shall try to do better!

In response to Beth, who said, "... These forums killed my fighting spirit and pretty much my will to live (as an avatar) "
That makes me very sad.  I hope your wounded feelings will recover soon.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

How much do you click the reaction buttons? What makes you click or abstain? 

ETA  If you could edit the buttons what would you do?

I don't click a lot, except on the picture threads when I'm browsing at home on my PC (the reaction buttons are harder to use on a phone). And I will always give thanks if someone answers a question I've asked, or otherwise adds something helpful to something else I've written.

There are two buttons I'd love to see added. One is Agree, because I often want to acknowledge that I agree with something even when I don't actually like it.  The other is Hug. We REALLY need a Hug button. But I really don;' think a downvote or dislike button is a good idea. If you want to show that you dislike or disagree with something that someone said, you should at least be prepared to back up your opinon with reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I have to disagree sowwy buddy.

Check the actual definition of the word. Unless you're omniscient, then you can disagree.

Otherwise, I guarantee there's something out there that you're ignorant about.

Edited by Gadget Portal

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

It's not contradictory to give someone an easier alternative to express disagreement.  I also don't see a particular difference between a generic "like" and a generic "dislike".  It's not saying "you have wrong information", it's saying "for whatever reason I do not like/agree with what you are saying."  Similarly, the "like" button doesn't convey any more information than that, either, yet I don't see anyone suggesting we remove it.

Pamela said it best.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

In RL when I agree, I say so. When I don’t agree I may tell them, but more often I just smile and say nothing. They get the point and we stay friends. I do that a lot these days. The forum is set up approximately like that. 

If you agree, that means you don't have to offer a counter, you're on the same page. It's the same as saying "Yeah, that." If you disagree, it becomes a question of why. Disagreement requires accompanying explanation much more than agreement does.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Pamela said it best.

If you agree, that means you don't have to offer a counter, you're on the same page. It's the same as saying "Yeah, that." If you disagree, it becomes a question of why. Disagreement requires accompanying explanation much more than agreement does.

Yes, but if the OP cares to know why, they are free to ask.  When someone boos at a comic, they are not expressing what about the joke they disliked, and yet it is more effective than standing up and explaining.  Sometimes registering simple displeasure is all one wishes to do.  Fo

43 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. What a fantastic idea!

Now I know what I want to be when I grow up!

You are already grown up.  My gosh, Scylla...I just clicked on your "click bait" signature and visited your Flickr pages.  What INCREDIBLE photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.  Just wow.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I've decided we need a "WRONG, WRONG, TOTALLY WRONG!" button.

• Haha 2

I am pretty inconsistent in my use of reaction buttons, at least of positive ones, except on the picture threads (where I "like" pretty much everything). In principle, I think it's important to acknowledge people's contributions, especially when it is clear that they've put some thought into what they have said, or have put something on the line by saying it. If we really value this place as a community, and as a place where different perspectives and voices can come together, it's worthwhile to demonstrate that we are paying attention.

I can see a real use for something like a "hug" button.

I don't see a lot of legitimate purpose, myself, for the use of negative reaction buttons. Both the "confused" and "laugh" buttons are way too ambiguous. The "laugh" one, when used to signify "scorn," I find particularly unuseful, or even counterproductive. It's dismissive, and it signifies "superiority" without making the effort to earn it. If you are going to disagree with something, then at least have the basic courtesy to explain why. Otherwise, it's the internet version of saying "No! Because I said so."

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.