Do you like KFC?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

McDonald's breakfast always seems artificial to me like airline food or a frozen dinner. 

Yeah, but the Egg McMuffins aren't really any worse than any other fast food breakfast.  It's just a matter of which of the bad options we choose for a quick bite when we hit the road, usually before too many other places are even open anyway.

13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The fries changed because they stopped frying with beef tallow.

They actually did wonders for my eating habits when they did this. I no longer crave their fries and thus no longer make random stops for fries multiple times a month.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, but the Egg McMuffins aren't really any worse than any other fast food breakfast.  It's just a matter of which of the bad options we choose for a quick bite when we hit the road, usually before too many other places are even open anyway.

This is depressingly true. I’ve started stopping in at a convenience store and getting 2 hard boiled eggs, flavored salt, a cheese stick and a Lära or Rx bar. Less greasy, no wheat, better carbs for me...I don’t get re-sleepy.

• Like 1

I was never a fan of KFC even before I went vegetarian. Aside from the fries portion sizes which were too small, and the incompetent staff who never once managed to correctly compile an order for two people, I always found the chicken itself to be poor quality and overly greasy. The only part I really liked was the coating.

I've been curious about the KFC vegan burger but a colleague of mine at work tried one last week and told me that not only was he not impressed, it doesn't even have the proper KFC coating on it; it's just a regular quorn burger bought-in as-is from elsewhere. So I may as well save a few quid by buying a pack of frozen quorn burgers from Aldi and make my own at home (which is what I do anyway).

• Like 1

I don't believe I've ever had fried chicken, much less KFC. I rarely eat out, and even more rarely eat at fast food places. When I do, I look for small local eateries with character, like Wayne's Drive-In or Smith Bros Coffee House.

I do take Mom to McDonald's every week, where she gets an ice-cream cone and we sometimes share french fries. Once she's gone, the only reason I'll have to eat fast food is to avoid guilt over using the restrooms while on road trips.

• Haha 1

I liked the Egg McMuffin once upon a time, but discovered that Burger King's Croissanwich was better.  I used to like KFC, both the original and extra crispy versions, but if I'm eating fast food chicken these days I'll go to Popeye's for flavor or Chik fil A for political support (I think they got a terrible bad rap from the leftist woke cancel culture crowd).

All in all though, most of my fast food purchases these days are either pizza (Dominos, usually) or, much more often, Subway.

I stopped in a Denny's recently; first time in donkey's years.  Surprisingly, they were as good as I remembered, or even better.  Although since it's a sit down and order from a menu with a waitress place, it may not actually qualify as "fast food".

49 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I do take Mom to McDonald's every week, where she gets an ice-cream cone and we sometimes share french fries. Once she's gone, the only reason I'll have to eat fast food is to avoid guilt over using the restrooms while on road trips.

Or to remember the good times you and your Mom had...

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Or to remember the good times you and your Mom had...

I've got better places to do that, Lindal. It's only recently that I've been taking her to McDonald's, as none of her girlfriends are able to drive anymore.

You do remind me of this however, which happened while she was at McDonald's and I was at home...

• Haha 1

This is my dream...

10 attractive models are heavily flirting with and fighting over me...but I push them aside as a white lightbeam descends, bathing me in its glow...The Colonel emerges, his white suit spotless, and he smiles and pumps my hand with a firm grip..."Theydon, welcome to the ultimate...the party bucket!!" A bucket the size of a man emerges from the ground, full to the brim with KFC chicken breasts...I dive into the bucket and all I can feel, taste, smell is the divine mystery of The Colonel's 11 secret herbs and spices...I drown a happy man, in a sea of nuggets and Zinger Towers...

• Haha 3

There’s a place in Oklahoma called Eischens Bar.  They have the oldest wood bar in the state which is pretty neat to see. They also have the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten in my life.   Any other fried chicken doesn’t compare. In fact it was featured on Food Network on Guy Fieri’s show.    Sadly I now live on the other side of the state and have no real reason to be over there to have an excuse to go eat.    (I do really miss the little parfait buckets though that KFC had when I was a kid). 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/you-picked-em

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:33 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I like KFC and those mysterious 11 secret herbs and spices! It's kinda oily but good.

Note: Decided to change it up after all the more "controversial" topics.

I absolutely love KFC and McD's double sausage and egg McMuffin. I'd say addicted, but I can stay in control if I want to, scouts honour.

Well I logged in to a new gift from my friend bwahaha - 

45t.jpg.7bafb65932f004c4c6584599546c66e1.jpg

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

This thread cracks me up and I shake my head sloooowly. What cracks me up is that these fast-food-that-isn't-very-fast-at-all places have been years in training the public to spend a lot of money, for food that is only mediocre at best, and accepting horrific service in the process.

I have gotten better, faster service with equal-quality food from vending machines. Seriously, not kidding.

In the old days the cashier takes your order, then fills your tray with your order while you gather the money to pay for it. Once your tray is ready they take your money and you walk away with your tray. Nowadays, they take your money and shoo you away quickly so they can grab the next dollar, without any waiting area (or even signage that explains this process) and then you stand around like a baffooon waiting for your meal.

And you people accept that day after day! Hahahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su

Vending machine food?  No, I don't see that.  I think the worst quality hot food comes from vending machines.  Next worst is from convenience stores/gas stations, unless they are one of those that cooks the food to order, like Wawa.  I'm not talking about those, but about places like 7-11, where the food is pre-packaged and refrigerated, and you get to re-heat it in their microwave.  Yeck.

Next worst are the lower end of the fast food chains.  Waffle House, Mickey D's, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers, Dairy Queen, a lot of the "biscuit" places you find in the south.

The "better quality fast food" places (OK, yes, it's an oxymoron) can be quite tasty.  Burger King, KFC/Popeyes/Chik Fil A, Wendy;s, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Subway, Firehouse Subs, Johnny Rockets, 5 Guys, etc.  Some of these, depending on their business model, may offer the terrible service described by Alyona, but some edge toward sit-down-and-order restaurants.

52 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Vending machine food?  No, I don't see that.  I think the worst quality hot food comes from vending machines.  Next worst is from convenience stores/gas stations, unless they are one of those that cooks the food to order, like Wawa.  I'm not talking about those, but about places like 7-11, where the food is pre-packaged and refrigerated, and you get to re-heat it in their microwave.  Yeck.

Next worst are the lower end of the fast food chains.  Waffle House, Mickey D's, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers, Dairy Queen, a lot of the "biscuit" places you find in the south.

The "better quality fast food" places (OK, yes, it's an oxymoron) can be quite tasty.  Burger King, KFC/Popeyes/Chik Fil A, Wendy;s, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Subway, Firehouse Subs, Johnny Rockets, 5 Guys, etc.  Some of these, depending on their business model, may offer the terrible service described by Alyona, but some edge toward sit-down-and-order restaurants.

Just as with these fast food places, there's a lot of variety in quality depending on where it is and who's running it. As for the service: Far better from a vending machine or any sit-down restaurants. :)

As for Wendy's: I have to concur - though their service is just as abysmal as the others, they have a good variety of menu and the best Twitter account to follow:

One thing I like about Wendy's as a corporation: They believe in their product and they will not pull punches! I have to agree with them: McDonalds is disgusting everywhere I've ever been to. My employer supplied McDonalds for a working lunch once, I complained to Labor and Industries about "hostile work environment".

Edited by Alyona Su

Fast food isn't about tasting good. It's about speed and convenience. Yes, we can all make tastier, more nutritious food for less money at home but sometimes we don't want to. Sometimes we just want to grab something to stuff in our faces because we're hungry and have no desire to cook. 

I have cut way down on doing that since getting an instant pot and an air fryer since I can cook from frozen in both of them. 7:30 a.m. is not a time that I will ever be thinking about getting something out of the freezer to thaw while I'm at work. Now I can just throw crap in either one of those and hit a button and have food 15 minutes later while barely lifting a finger. 

There are still the occasional nights, though, when I can't even be bothered to do that, and have fast food without shame or guilt. 

I don't think I have ever had poor service at a fast food place, though, or any restaurant really. I do go OTT with kindness to service workers in sympathy and solidarity with them so that probably doesn't hurt matters. 

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Where I live, you definitely cannot include Domino's in that list.  I've had their pizza multiple times, at various events, and it always tastes like warmed up cardboard.  Around here, Blackjack is the better alternative than Domino's. 

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I have cut way down on doing that since getting an instant pot and an air fryer

I have recently started looking at both of these.  I find myself cooking the traditional way to be almost non-existent these days (which is a real shame since I accumulated all sorts cooking appliances after we remodeled our kitchen 10-12 years ago).  Even the crock pot, which doesn't really take any effort, still requires me to remember to actually thaw something out.  Additionally, I need to put it all together in the morning before heading off to work, which means getting up 10-15 minutes earlier - at least, for those days when I go to the office. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have recently started looking at both of these.

I love them both with a passion, though I think the instant pot edges out the air fryer just for sheer versatility. So easy, so fast, one dish to wash... it's wondrous. And the air fryer is great for things like fries... and pork chops... and steaks... 

I've not used my stove a single time since I started using the air fryer and the instant pot. I made an entire turkey dinner in the instant pot and it was the best freaking turkey I've ever had. 

I can't say enough good things about both those items and strongly encourage you to go for it. They're game changers.

• Thanks 1

We retirees have it best. I have time to cook when I want to -- no rushing in the morning before I head out to work, and I get to go to bed when I choose at night -- so traditional cooking works for me.  I use a microwave to thaw things or reheat a casserole serving, but everything else is cooked on the stove top or in the oven.  If I really don't feel like cooking, I go to a local sit-down restaurant or get something from there to take home.  I avoid fast food unless I am traveling.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:28 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

... most of my fast food purchases these days are either pizza (Dominos, usually) or, much more often, Subway.

I stopped in a Denny's recently; first time in donkey's years.  Surprisingly, they were as good as I remembered, or even better.  Although since it's a sit down and order from a menu with a waitress place, it may not actually qualify as "fast food".

I treasure the memory of the 20 days I worked in America in the early 90's, each and every morning we breakfasted in Dennys before heading down the salt mine, and ... I loved the food every single day. Now I love a subway too, we have them here luckily, nothing like a foot long VIP meat feast to keep the hunger at bay. Yummy.

Edited by rasterscan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.