Should there be a "SL's Manliest Man" contest?

Catrie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, this is a topic that is obviously rife for good-natured humour (and possibly some that is not so good-natured), but . . . there has been the perception of late around here that men have been taking a bashing on some of these threads.

Without suggesting that others can't employ humour, I don't want to contribute to that perception, so . . .

Here are my 100% serious suggestions for what we should be "testing for" when looking for the manliest man. I'll begin with what I see as the "Master Criterion," the thing that is most important, and enables everything else:

Primary Criterion

• A manly man should, most of all be multidimensional. By that, I mean that he shouldn't only conform to one idea of what constitutes "manliness," but should recognize that there are many ways that this might be defined. As is ideally the case for any woman, a man should know that he has the freedom to choose what kind of person he wishes to be, whether those choices conform to socially-generated gender stereotypes or not. Accordingly, a truly "manly man" is one who knows he can be brooding, macho, or even a bit "brutish" on occasion, but who is not limited to any of those roles, and can also choose to be sweet, sensitive, giving, open, etc. From this, all else follows . . .

Secondary Criteria

• Physique and Body Appearance can be anything -- stereotypically ripped, triangle-shaped, arms the size of tree-trunks, etc., but it can also be slender, well--proportioned, chubby-cute, or whatever. So, points should be awarded not on the basis of how well the man conforms to one expectation about looks, but rather how well he performs whatever look he has chosen to represent "him." Our slate of nominees might include a really diverse range of body types and appearance, and these should be judged not against a single template, but rather against a kind of ideal for each particular physique type. My own preference is for well-built but slenderish, tall but not gigantic, and with just enough body fat to make him comfortable to rest my head (or other parts of me) on. But that's just my preference.

• Aesthetic Style and Taste -- as above, the criterion should be not based upon a single aesthetic, but rather the tasteful and thoughtful application of whatever look -- urban, rural, "street" or sophisticated and elite, etc. -- the man has chosen. We should be judging the man not on how many fashion blogs he follows, and how much he spends on his mesh clothing, but rather on his unique combination of carefully-chosen elements to showcase his personal style and good taste. This has nothing to do with "mesh" vs. "system" or prim and sculptie, and everything to do with what the man can do with what he's got. Me, I probably prefer "urban" rather than "street" or "elite" -- except when I don't.

• Personality -- There are lots of things one might look for here: sociability, humour, a certain "rough" or "tough" sensibility, etc., but what I think is again key is a certain degree of flexibility and multidimensional potential. There are times when humour is what I most value, and others when "brooding" is actually pretty welcome. I'm much less interested in someone who is so "flat" and one-dimensional that he is always one thing or another. I want someone who is responsive to context, and to my needs as well as his own.

• Attitude -- Regardless of what persona a man chooses to don for any given context, a man (and for that matter, anyone) should demonstrate an underlying kindness and sensitivity to others. So, it's fine to be "brutish" or a Dom (or, god forbid, even a Gorean Master) at times, so long as there is a clear respect for others and generosity that lies behind these performances. If you are brutish because it seems appropriate to the occasion as determined by your and your partner, that's great. If "brutish" is all that you can manage, and you apply it without reference to the others around you, then you're a cardboard cutout of a man, and you deserve to score low because you're a narcissist or solipsist or something like that. It should go without saying that closely related to this is someone who is tolerant and accepting of diversity: nothing is a bigger turn-off than someone who is, at the root of their sense of self, racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic. Ableist and classist are icky too.

To Sum Up: What most impresses me is a man who understands that he needn't be constrained by what popular culture, GQ, other men, or even the women he associates with think he "should be." I want to see "manliness" redefined to extend to the kind of freedom of expression that I'd like to see available for women. Smash the patriarchy, men! Be the kind of man who revels in his freedom to be different! THAT's what I'd want to see in the man I give a prize -- or anything else -- to.

These are all excellent suggestions for the criteria.  I personally like the "Renaissance Man" types.  An intelligent, well rounded man.

• Like 4

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of course not! in fact, I feel we're good enough friends that, in most circumstances, I'd offer to help.

You're such a good friend, like that.  Now, if Maddy joined in, we'd have a bonfire.  Maybe serve some s'mores... I mean, yeah, it'd be your funeral pyre, but we'd still be able to send you out in style and have fun doing it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Catrie said:

You're such a good friend, like that.  Now, if Maddy joined in, we'd have a bonfire.  Maybe serve some s'mores... I mean, yeah, it'd be your funeral pyre, but we'd still be able to send you out in style and have fun doing it. 

Catrie, you're beginning to scare me . . .

• Haha 2

From a personal standpoint (in case you wanted an actual answer, lol), no, it would not work or be a good idea. I don't like popularity contests even though life often is...or seems...like one giant popularity contest. 

On a "if it did happen, what should be the criteria" note....these are my criteria

Be able to watch chick flicks, and not think they're chick flicks

Know how to change a tire, oil, baby diaper, and various home improvement items (all at the same time equals bonus round...TBD)

Be eclectic...in all things

Wear whatever you want, when you want

Look however you want, when you want

Not give a carp if others agree with the prior choices (only salmon)

Know how to do your own laundry, cook, clean, take care of the yard, butcher a chicken, start a fire 6 different ways, build a rocket, and prepare for disasters of epic proportions (bug out bag , epidemic, natural disaster and zombie protection included)

Not be afraid to cuddle

Know how to row a boat

Play with legos, trains, rc vehicles and bubbles on a regular basis

Color, a lot, especially outside the lines

Have a great sense of humor, have a dirty sense of humor, have a colorful sense of humor

Love animals, all animals, all creatures, without question (exceptions: terrible human beings, and those that make me cry...you can stomp them for me, they deserve it, I'll even let you use my boots, they're way cool and comfy)

Play monopoly with me, even though you know I've never lost a game i my life

I also demand operation, mouse trap, candyland, connect four, backgammon, uno, hungry hungry hippos, dominoes, ants in the pants, kerplunk, bounce off, cornhole, badmitton, hopscotch, hide and go seek, tag, pac-man, mario kart, marble madness...and any other game I reserve the right to demand later

lost my train of thought, I'll have to catch the next one

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Catrie said:

We have contests for Mr. and Miss SL, but the entry and  criteria seems sort of vague and nebulous.  A couple of friends and I were chatting about "what if there was a SL Manliest Man contest?"

Oh that's a wonderful idea. I would have loved to watch the contest msyelf but unfortunately I'm busy at that time.

(Seriously: if somebody wants it, go for it! There's no harm in it.)

• Like 1

Ftr., my requirements also apply for "most womanly woman"  and most "persony person"

but I forgot some things

You must love gnomes, and you must gift me gnomes, because I love gnomes

And you can't judge me when I name my gnomes, because I really love gnomes

Edited by Tari Landar

I prefer the guy next door. Who is also intelligent and funny.

But there's a huge number of guys on here who are tatoo'd weighlifters with huge arms. That seems to be a common perception, so maybe the guys should make the rules for manliest man.

Is there an arm wrestle anim?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not surprised :)

Nobody will believe this but its not the tats, or the hair or the muscles.. They aren't what I would go for.  It's the naughtiness in the eyes and the smile plus the fact he can string a sentence together and doesn't take himself too seriously.  Thats a manly man for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.