What do I need to know as a consumer?

Rhonda Huntress

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am most exited over the alpha clashing problems that goes now.

How many have not got a strange white line between the hairbase and the hair? If you wear a mesh head, that is. It was some workarounds if you could mod hair. Changing the alpha to alpha masking fixed it, but the hair looked so coarse. It lost its softness.

Hair hanging over any part of the body with the layers turned on, and it made large holes in the tattoos, lingerie or whatever applierbased I was wearing. Plus even if it is possible to use the 3 onion layers the same time, they clash with each other. Stockings over tattoos? Forget it. Freckles and tattoos the same time? Forget it. Here it also was the alpha masking on the middle layer. It would separate the other layers so they showed correct, but anything with alpha masking look terrible. And this limited the use of layers so much. I can't remember now, when I used the layers last time.

Only this makes it worth it.

Plus that wearing things whithout adding an applier will be lovely. And I can click the t-shirt icon and see what I am wearing, no need to remember what applier I used last time.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, angelikiinha said:

Last night I bought the new Akeruka bom beta head, it doesn't even have a final name, so if anyone is interested, take it now because it's L$1000 (I suppose 5K when released).

How does one get one since it appears the region is closed?

Edit: its opened now

Edited by Chelsea Malibu
Updated Info

On 9/1/2019 at 9:35 PM, angelikiinha said:

"Your inventory will—I’m afraid to say—probably explode. You know that 30-colour applier HUD you’ve got for XYZ thing? For BoM that will turn into 30 separate items. So a 30-shade lipstick HUD will become 30 individual lipstick tattoos. Get organising and filing that inventory now…"

I hope creators do something like a hud to attach/dettach items (if possible), or life will be not so easy...

If the texture is monochrome, that lipstick could also just be mod so you can color it any shade you want.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, they probably have, but it took me a while to work out I had white soles on my feet because of the shoe base I was wearing. You have to use the hoverslider to keep your feet above ground with heels on and leave the shoe bases alone.

Edited by Aethelwine

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, they probably have, but it took me a while to work out I had white soles on my feet because of the shoe base I was wearing. You have to use the hoverslider to keep your feet above ground with heels on and leave the shoe bases alone.

It's simple to make a set of shoebases where you drop in a fully transparent texture into the texture slot then you have no issue with the shoe bases coloring your foot and no need to use hover. If your shoebase is mod then you can simply change out the texture in edit mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Skell Dagger said:

No they won't be outdated; you'll still be able to use them if you want to. There are people even now who haven't updated from the very earliest versions of Catya, for example. In fact, you can use BoM right now with Catwa heads and any other Omega-supported mesh head or body, even if it's not been updated for BoM (although you'll look rather odd to most of the grid, until the majority of them are all using BoM viewers). I've spent much of today putting together a tutorial for BoM (as best I can anyway; I'm still learning it myself). Have a read of this and hopefully it might answer a few questions for you.

Thanks for the dummies version but I got lost even on that one half way through.  Do I understand correctly though that this is not a return to a simple "add to wear " for non mesh clothing or mesh bodies but some approaching a mesh squared level of complexity for those of us who have never really had the desire to investigate how sl works?

9 minutes ago, sylvie Serenity said:

Thanks for the dummies version but I got lost even on that one half way through.  Do I understand correctly though that this is not a return to a simple "add to wear " for non mesh clothing or mesh bodies but some approaching a mesh squared level of complexity for those of us who have never really had the desire to investigate how sl works?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sylvie Serenity said:

Do I understand correctly though that this is not a return to a simple "add to wear " for non mesh clothing or mesh bodies but some approaching a mesh squared level of complexity for those of us who have never really had the desire to investigate how sl works?

You have a last name, and a quick search inworld tells me that you're more than 10 years in Second Life, so you remember system layers. That's all that BOM is: it's system layers. There's nowhere near "mesh squared levels of complexity" involved in it. And it is simply "add to wear". You add the system layers on top of each other, and - assuming you're wearing a BOM-compatible mesh head or body - the layers will appear on the mesh.

13 minutes ago, sylvie Serenity said:

Thanks for the dummies version but I got lost even on that one half way through.

I'm sorry, but I honestly cannot simplify that guide any further. It took me over six hours to write it and ensure that it was as easy to follow as possible. You might fare better with a narrated video guide such as the one Wulfie has just posted. I've done all I can to help people understand BOM, but we all learn in different ways.

Skell

I wasnt knocking your efforts just it required a level of technical understanding beyond mine. My default position when i have issues with clothing now is to hit reset and fix layers until everything goes away and I can start again

So looking at the video (thank you to Wulfie) as well as your guide, a beginners guide for complete idiots like me would appear to be

1. You cant use BOM on your existing mesh body even though you now have a BOM compatible viewer

2. See if your body has been updated to be BOM compatible.if not and you don't want to do anything technical wait until it is

3 Once you have a compatible body you should be able to wear your old clothing on the updated body simply using add to wear.

4. If that doesn't work its probably something to do with your skin that is stopping it, and you will need to ask your body/skin creator/ help group for assistance if you cant sort it out yourslf

2 hours ago, sylvie Serenity said:

Skell

I wasnt knocking your efforts just it required a level of technical understanding beyond mine. My default position when i have issues with clothing now is to hit reset and fix layers until everything goes away and I can start again

So looking at the video (thank you to Wulfie) as well as your guide, a beginners guide for complete idiots like me would appear to be

1. You cant use BOM on your existing mesh body even though you now have a BOM compatible viewer

2. See if your body has been updated to be BOM compatible.if not and you don't want to do anything technical wait until it is

3 Once you have a compatible body you should be able to wear your old clothing on the updated body simply using add to wear.

4. If that doesn't work its probably something to do with your skin that is stopping it, and you will need to ask your body/skin creator/ help group for assistance if you cant sort it out yourslf

#1 isn't true.  There are Omega HUDs that can give you BOM compatibility on a body that has not yet been made BOM compatible.

Yes it is.  In RL I don't need an applier to get dressed, and until mesh came along I didn't need it in SL.

I did not realise when I  posted on here  as a "consumer" that it was under the creation forum. I don't think those of you who are creators realise how many people either struggle to understand or don't want to understand the technology behind SL.

• Like 1

I find it so much easier in RL.  To get dressed all I have to do is rummage through a draw full of knickers, find the ones I want, stick one leg into each hole, pull them up found the bum; rummage through the draw for some tights that aren't laddered, and pull one bit over each leg taking care not to push my toenails through the nylon....  and so on for each item: pants, bra, top...

In SL it's so hard, I click each item in my inventory and it's done.  Why can't it be like RL?

Edited by anna2358
  • Haha 2

As a consumer I now have my Body, Head and Viewer all updated and I like what I see.

It hasn’t changed.

I don’t buy skins, I like the skin I’m in, I love my Head and Body, so I am basically not paying any attention to BoM, for me, nothing has changed. And everything was free so that was good.

I have and use Omega, the Materials aspect of it is what matters, Big Time What Matters, I mean, Really Big Time What Matters.

So how do I do Materials with BoM? Everyplace I look I see that BoM does not support Materials, is that true? And if so, This is a step forward? Will BoM support Materials down the road? How long?

I just don’t see it being of any value to me, others love it and that is great, but I don’t see me using it at all.

And people talking about it fixing alpha clashing, if you need alphas, your clothes don’t fit, go shopping!

And as far as complexity goes, I am almost always lower than anyone around me, always, so that part is of no help to me.

Just some thoughts from a Consumer about BoM.

23 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

And people talking about it fixing alpha clashing, if you need alphas, your clothes don’t fit, go shopping!

Alpha clashing (glitching) has nothing to do with how clothes fit and alpha cuts. Alpha glitching is when two textures with alpha channels conflict with each other, where textures will keep flashing or completely disappear. A good example would be if you were to wear a eyebrow that's not on the skin but an applier applied to the eyebrow section of your mesh head and then also want to wear eyeshadow that goes up toward the brow and one cancels out the other because your graphics card doesn't know how to render that properly. With bakes on mesh you can "bake" the eyebrow texture and the eye shadow texture onto the skin so there is no alpha glitching. Alpha glitching has plagued all of us for years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Alpha clashing (glitching) has nothing to do with how clothes fit and alpha cuts. Alpha glitching is when two textures with alpha channels conflict with each other, where textures will keep flashing or completely disappear. A good example would be if you were to wear a eyebrow that's not on the skin but an applier applied to the eyebrow section of your mesh head and then also want to wear eyeshadow that goes up toward the brow and one cancels out the other because your graphics card doesn't know how to render that properly. With bakes on mesh you can "bake" the eyebrow texture and the eye shadow texture onto the skin so there is no alpha glitching. Alpha glitching has plagued all of us for years. 

Thanks, I learned something. But I have never seen that, I don’t use makeup beyond what comes with my head, and not much of that, I’m not very good at this.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:18 AM, sylvie Serenity said:

I did not realise when I  posted on here  as a "consumer" that it was under the creation forum. I don't think those of you who are creators realise how many people either struggle to understand or don't want to understand the technology behind SL.

tbf is not only creators, so leaving that part out

i have some sympathy for how frustrating this can be.  I am not slow when it comes to working out technicals, but it was a major effort for me in learning when I got a mesh body

get the body.  Wear. Work out how to apply the skin in the HUD. None of the tones match my system head skin

ok. Go to the shop to find the matching body applier. Buy the applier. Attach. Press the button.  Nothing happens. Look it up on the web. Says I need a relay

ok. Go to the relay shop.  Buy the relay for the body type.  Attach relay. Press the applier button. \o/

then decide to get a body enhancement mesh.  Get the enhancement. Wear. Its white. Press the enhancement HUD button.  Nothing happens. Seems I need a relay. Attach relay. Press button. Nothing happens.  Look it up on the web. Says I need a different relay

ok. Go to the relay shop again.  Buy the other relay.  Attach relay. Press the enhancement applier button. None of the tones match my body

ok. Go back to the skin shop.  Buy the matching enhancement applier.  Wear this applier. Press the button. Skin tones don't match.  Examine the info at the shop

ok. The enhancement applier only matches other skins specifically made for the body, to work seamlessly with the enhancement

ok. Buy the other body skin applier that matches the enhancement and the body, and my system head skin which I got first before I got the mesh body. Wear. Wear the other relay, not the first relay. Press the button. \o/

ok. okaayy! Now I am going to buy a mesh head. Hopefully this is going to be easier now that I know stuff

ok. Is not easier. The skin tones don't match and my neck don't fit. okaaaay! and here we go

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Thanks, I learned something. But I have never seen that, I don’t use makeup beyond what comes with my head, and not much of that, I’m not very good at this.

Alpha glitching is far reaching. It affects more than just mesh heads and bodies. If you've ever tried to wear a sheer lace dress with long hair mesh hair you've most likely noticed that parts of the lace dress disappears under some of the strands of hair. This is another example of alpha glitching. Bakes on mesh won't stop the alpha glitching that occurs between mesh clothing and mesh hair; however, it will prevent the alpha glitching that happens when you try to wear a tattoo under a pair of lace panties and sheer stockings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.