What do I need to know as a consumer?

Rhonda Huntress

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, AnneBardot said:

i have a few questions,

1. how do you use bakes on mesh?

2. um.....can i still use appliers on BOM ready heads?

and the last question,  would anyone show on the forums a old skin on one of old skins on a BOM body?

1. Once the mesh bodypart is setup properly, simply wearing a system garment/skin tatoo/universal, will automatically update the texture on the mesh.
  2. That will depend of the maker and whatnot, but there's gonna have to be something like a "BoM mode" kind of toggle I assume. Once bodies decide which BoM layers they will use and for what, it will be time to annoy your favourite applier makers to provide BoM compatible layers. (To be clear, this is not a lot of work, about as much as adding existing textures to a new applier.)
  3. I'll try to make an example but BoM is not restricted to old skins, old skins where also only 512x512 in resolution, BoM supports up to 1024x1024, like your typical applier.

This is a good thing and if everyone gets on board it will reduce lag and performance on the servers.

Polygons, scripts and texture memory were killing us. This affects all of us, even our computers life.

Users complain without truly understanding, but frame rates WILL improve.

Siddean Munro from Slink did a great job and other popular body brands are working hard to get their products ready.

Once firestorm releases the new BoM release I am updating my viewer and ( sighs ) updating all my products with alpha support.

Like anything beta there will be glitches but they will get ironed out and on we go ........ forward

4 minutes ago, onyx Kelberry said:

This is a good thing and if everyone gets on board it will reduce lag and performance on the servers.

Polygons, scripts and texture memory were killing us. This affects all of us, even our computers life.

Users complain without truly understanding, but frame rates WILL improve.

Siddean Munro from Slink did a great job and other popular body brands are working hard to get their products ready.

Once firestorm releases the new BoM release I am updating my viewer and ( sighs ) updating all my products with alpha support.

Like anything beta there will be glitches but they will get ironed out and on we go ........ forward

Same, not that I have many that use alpha slices, I'm just waiting for the official support from the body creators (since they have some decisions to take layer-wise) for now and then i"ll update "literally the next day" :P

When an item is made the designer decides if it will use BoM and makes that setting change.

The end user switches to the classic avatar and removes the alpha layers that make it invisible. Puts on a system/classic skin. When you put on any of the BoM body parts the system stops rendering the classic SL body. The BoM system bakes all the layers of system skin. tats, underwear, clothes, and jacket (etc.) layers into a single diffuse texture and that appears on the BoM body or body part.

It is pretty straight forward. You can read my blog How to Use BoM with New Slink Bodies for more details. You can also get a Slink Demo and play with BoM yourself.

• Like 1

sounds like a nightmare....

I think I am going to wait.  Not gonna jump on this bandwagon until they've worked the kinks out. I think Siddean is a genius but I just hated the slink interface, and her explanations were not intuitive for me.  My SL is a fun place.  I work too hard in RL to want to work that hard to play in SL. 

I'm confused about bom. Last night I bought the new Akeruka bom beta head, it doesn't even have a final name, so if anyone is interested, take it now because it's L$1000 (I suppose 5K when released). 

I've asked many times in their chat about all other mesh heads (I have a Rachel and if they update her, why to buy another one?), but they insist to talk only about the new beta head and that "old heads will not be updated", but who knows what do they mean by that? Never? Not now but maybe in future? 

So can I conclude we "need" a single head to apply any visual with skins? Will all those Catwa heads be "outdated" when they release a bom-compatible head?

1 minute ago, angelikiinha said:

Will all those Catwa heads be "outdated" when they release a bom-compatible head?

No they won't be outdated; you'll still be able to use them if you want to. There are people even now who haven't updated from the very earliest versions of Catya, for example. In fact, you can use BoM right now with Catwa heads and any other Omega-supported mesh head or body, even if it's not been updated for BoM (although you'll look rather odd to most of the grid, until the majority of them are all using BoM viewers). I've spent much of today putting together a tutorial for BoM (as best I can anyway; I'm still learning it myself). Have a read of this and hopefully it might answer a few questions for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I've spent much of today putting together a tutorial for BoM (as best I can anyway; I'm still learning it myself). Have a read of this and hopefully it might answer a few questions for you.

"Your inventory will—I’m afraid to say—probably explode. You know that 30-colour applier HUD you’ve got for XYZ thing? For BoM that will turn into 30 separate items. So a 30-shade lipstick HUD will become 30 individual lipstick tattoos. Get organising and filing that inventory now…"

I hope creators do something like a hud to attach/dettach items (if possible), or life will be not so easy...

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

No they won't be outdated; you'll still be able to use them if you want to. There are people even now who haven't updated from the very earliest versions of Catya, for example. In fact, you can use BoM right now with Catwa heads and any other Omega-supported mesh head or body, even if it's not been updated for BoM (although you'll look rather odd to most of the grid, until the majority of them are all using BoM viewers). I've spent much of today putting together a tutorial for BoM (as best I can anyway; I'm still learning it myself). Have a read of this and hopefully it might answer a few questions for you.

Thank you for the tutorial; however, there are a few things you should revise.

1) Skins, tattoos, etc. that had their textures uploaded at 1024x1024 will display at full resolution on mesh bodies (and currently on the system body, for that matter.) A skin is just like an applier - it's a texture delivery system. The reason they used to display at 512 x 512 was that was the maximum resolution of the bakes provided by the baking service; however, that's now been changed to 1024 x 1024.

2) Tattoos, etc. do stack in the order they're worn in, but if you go to "Edit My Appearance" and click on a tattoo, etc. in the list of the items you're wearing arrows will appear - clicking on those arrows will move that item up or down in the stack, and when you save what you're wearing as an outfit that order will be remembered.

3) Materials don't need to go on a "layer" - they can go directly onto the base mesh. It's possible to have the visible "diffuse" texture of a mesh face set by BOM and the specular and normal maps set by appliers on the same face.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to be corrected, since I've not been involved in all this until now. I'll append your comments to the end of the post.

Actually, no. I've put them in the relevant locations in the post, with attribution and a link to your post. And I've struck through my incorrect words (as I did here). I believe in leaving edits visibly corrected.

Edited by Skell Dagger

34 minutes ago, Magpie Margetts said:

If I don't have old system layer stuff, can I just use this Omega BOM with my Omega relays to transfer newer applier stuff to the bake layer?

I'm really excited about being able to mix and match a lot of the tattoos and freckles I have but never been able to combine.

You can't combine applier textures and system layers on the same body layer, but you can use an applier on an outer layer and use BOM for your skin layer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magpie Margetts said:

If I don't have old system layer stuff, can I just use this Omega BOM with my Omega relays to transfer newer applier stuff to the bake layer?

I'm really excited about being able to mix and match a lot of the tattoos and freckles I have but never been able to combine.

Izzie's have included BoM layer with their newest products, at least several months back. They are often called "classic" layers. Since she does that, I wounder if her redelivery terminal gives out updated versions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Izzie's have included BoM layer with their newest products, at least several months back. They are often called "classic" layers. Since she does that, I wounder if her redelivery terminal gives out updated versions.

She doesn't use a vendor system, so she doesn't have a redelivery terminal. Perhaps send her a notecard. However, this was true the last time I went looking for a redelivery terminal. So best to check for yourself. :) 

Edited by Blush Bravin

Boo, so that means all my applier stuff is gonna be basically worthless come BoM :(

Okay, some of my most used tattoos have system layers included, so I'm not gonna panic too much. But also a lot of the smaller ones I have don't. Sucks.

Edited by Magpie Margetts

22 hours ago, Magpie Margetts said:

Boo, so that means all my applier stuff is gonna be basically worthless come BoM :(

Okay, some of my most used tattoos have system layers included, so I'm not gonna panic too much. But also a lot of the smaller ones I have don't. Sucks.

My understanding is that you can still use appliers with system layers - just not on the same layer.   Possibly, for some things, creators may provide an update that includes system layers.

If I use BoM and put on bra and panties, bake them in place, when I TP anyplace I will never again rez completely naked. What is baked on is like my skin, if my skin shows, my baked on lingerie shows, so never completely naked on TP again.

I like BoM a little better all the time, if that is how it works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

If I use BoM and put on bra and panties, bake them in place, when I TP anyplace I will never again rez completely naked. What is baked on is like my skin, if my skin shows, my baked on lingerie shows, so never completely naked on TP again.

I like BoM a little better all the time, if that is how it works.

this is the idea yes. Pretty much worth it just for this I think

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

So I'd have to start wearing a mesh head in order to use BoM to get rid of the alpha cut nonsense on a mesh body?

I have zero interest in wearing a mesh head. :(

The default avatar is divided into three sections - head, lower body, and upper body. BOM turns off any section of the default body whose bake texture is being used by an attachment. If you only wear a body and nothing that uses the head bake your system head will look the same as it always has.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The default avatar is divided into three sections - head, lower body, and upper body. BOM turns off any section of the default body whose bake texture is being used by an attachment. If you only wear a body and nothing that uses the head bake your system head will look the same as it always has.

whew. thanks for the clarification, Theresa. i'm so used to thinking of skins as a single unit i'd forgotten they aren't a single texture 9_9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.