Wow Linden Labs, Just Wow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

People are not going to suddenly start traveling overland in order to buy hair.

specially when its snowing and they have no shoes :)

i think I would rather have teleport ads, if I was going to have to endure something that would make me go all stabby.  At least with TP ads I can do something else RL while they are playing

• Haha 3

If you haven't seen the post LL has backed off taking away the group slots from the basic members which is a step in the right direction but I said it before and I'll say it again Hey Linden Labs before you go charging us more money make sure your [MODERATOR EDIT: Profanity Removed] is working properly. Seems like there has been more lag then normal and before you all go saying its my computer or my connection I spare listing the specs but I assure its not on my end.

Edited by Dakota Linden
[MODERATOR EDIT: Profanity Removed]
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I have always been a premium account holder with land, but now I wondering if I should save my money on yearly sub and tiers and just rent what I want, it would be far cheaper,

I'd recommend doing your math and checking it twice.  That's not the way the math turned out for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I have always been a premium account holder with land, but now I wondering if I should save my money on yearly sub and tiers and just rent what I want, it would be far cheaper,

You might want to do the math on that before you jump ... Renting is the most expensive option for land ownership as whom ever you are renting from is paying the same tier fees you want to avoid. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I did do my Maths and found that what I pay in a yearly account and my tiers for a 4096sq land, I could rent for much cheaper,

Rate doesn't even change for at least a year if you prepay.  Hard to see how the math changed now when the rate doesn't change for a year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I pay now 

membership $72 per year

Tiers $22.00 x 12 = $264

all for 4096 sq of land

if I was to rent  4096sq of land that would be at L$400 per week that comes out to $1.38 then x by 52  = $71.76

Do you ever buy L$?  If so, you have to take into account the L$ stipend that LL gives you as that reduces what you have to buy. 

Or, if you wanted, you could save the L$ and at the end of the year, you can sell the L$15,600 for roughly US $60.00, taking the cost of that membership down to $39.00 for the year -- calculated at the new Premium fee.

If you could afford the up front expense, 4 alts donating tier to a land group would cover the 4096 -- at $39.00 per year per alt after factoring in the L$ stipend.  Or you could do 2 alts at the $39.00  and then pay for 2048 tier.

ETA:

If you are going to rent 4096 sqm of land for L$400 per week, how much LI does that come with?   Also, my math shows L$400 * 52 = L$20,800 = approx. $80.00.

Figuring that L$400 per week is worth $1.38 assumes that you can buy your L$ for roughly 289-290 L$ per US $ and I can't figure out how you will manage that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I pay now 

membership $72 per year

Tiers $22.00 x 12 = $264

all for 4096 sq of land

if I was to rent  4096sq of land that would be at L$400 per week that comes out to $1.38 then x by 52  = $71.76

Well that's where you're going wrong !!

Right now you are paying $336 per year for 4096 and L$300 to spend each week.

You can have multiple premium avatars. I think 5 is the expected limit (but I've never heard of LL punishing anyone for having more!)

Spin up 3 extra alts each with premium (all numbers at new rate & some rounding to keep it simple), group all the land from each, drop the tier back to min on the remaining basic

4 x $99 = $396 outflow per years total. (only slightly more than your outlay right now).

You will get (300x52x4) L$62,400 back in L$ per year @  L$1200 a week ($250 per year)

Keeping back L$300 a week so your spending money is unaffected, and saving the rest to cash out at the end of the year.

You will get (300x52x1) L$15,600 back in L$ per year @  L$300 a week ($60 per year) to spend.

You will save (300x52x3) L$46,800 per year @  L$900 a week ($180 per year) to NOT spend.

Out of pocket expenses ($396-$180)  is $216 per year for the exact same setup you have right now.

--

If you junk everything, rent land at 400 per week ... (400x52) is L$20800 per year is $83 out of pocket cost with zero spending money, L$300 a week will add $60 to the total cost, so $153 per year for the same base deal you have now, only no premium perks and assumes you buy all L$ for rent in one go. If you don't then transaction fees start to play an effect, so paying for everything monthly will add an additional $17 bringing the total to $170 .. cheaper than premiums .. 

BUT ... 

Your quoted price of $400 per week for a 4096 seems wildly cheap, my poking about showed prices tended to be more like L$900 per week on the cheap end. so .. 

If you junk everything, rent land at 900 per week ... (900x52) is L$46800 per year is $187 out of pocket cost with zero spending money, L$300 a week will add $60 to the total cost, so $247 per year for the same base deal you have now (more than 4x prems), only no premium perks and assumes you buy all L$ for the year in one go ... transaction fees add an additional $17 bringing the total to $264 .. which is $50 more per year than 4x prems for a reduced version of the deal you have now.

--

and that's not even looking at Horizons double prim options .. which if you plan to stay in SL long term represent the best value US$ per Li in all of Second Life. The buy in in harsh, but write that into your costs over first  year, then every year after you have 4096 worth of land for $200 per year with L$600 a week to either push the cost down further or spend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greek Wingtips said:

I pay now 

membership $72 per year

Tiers $22.00 x 12 = $264

all for 4096 sq of land

The cheapest rental I'm seeing for 4096 square meters is for L$550 a week on a homestead - in other words, you have 4096 square meters and a luxurious 312 prim allowance (i.e. less than you'd get with the 1024 square meter "free" full-primmed land with Premium.) Cheapest for 4096 square meters full-primmed is $958 per week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

membership $72 per year

Tiers $22.00 x 12 = $264

minus Stipen L$ 15.600 =$54.04

$336 - $54.04

grand total $281 

all for 4096 sq of land

4 premiums x72 = $288

no tiers because the 4 premiums = 4096 sqm

minus stipend 4 x 300 = 1200 x 52 = 62,400 = $228

$288 - $228 = $60

if you rent 4096 the annual cost is $72

Going with 4 premiums is still less expensive than renting. And that's if you can even find any 4096 decently located for only 400 $L a week.

3 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

Your entire economic theory is based on this number which you've already been told doesn't seem realistic. If you want to convince us you're going to have to show us where this number is coming from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh he might be able to find rental that big for that much with like 10 prims. Probably one of those deals where somebody rents a quarter of their homestead up in the sky with no land rights.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
Clarification
  • Haha 1

Sheesh ...

There are no Island based rentals out there (reputable and "full featured" anyway) that offer a 4096 at 400 a week. None, period. You might be able to find such an offer on a Mainland, shared bubble plot or a Homestead .... But you're short changing yourself on those options.

No, repeating your "data" with an eye bleeding highlight (seriously, that came out as black text on a bright white background - there's a reason I use the forum Dark Mode) does not make it any more "true" or "correct" - deal with it.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. Why did I never think of this!!!!

/me starts work on banners and pamphlets

/me tacklehugs Scylla.. woohoo gf... let's get busy!

To the OP,  Some people could care less about groups or offline IM's, after almost 13 years I'm still under 15 groups and 5 of them are my own. The bottom line here is the platform is antiquated, the cash cow drying up.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Suspiria Finucane said:

/me tacklehugs Scylla.. woohoo gf... let's get busy!

Sus! Welcome back!!!

I've been trying to mobilize my own alts. Ok, alt, singular. But she's on strike because I don't give her a sufficient allowance.

Maybe . . . I'm actually one of the "baddies"????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, Beth Macbain said:

Speak for yourself. 

We are all in SL for different reasons. I don't give a rat's butt about the land stuff. I can't wait to have more groups, though (I would happily pay for even more group slots), and am pretty happy with the offline messages increase as well. I get them sent to my email but it doesn't always work. Not a big deal, but it's cool. 

Some of us pay for premium and pay a thousand bucks out of pocket every couple of months to buy lindens...

They have not raised the premium in over a decade. You really think this increase is unfair? How often do your utility prices increase? Cable? Phone provider? Gas? 

If all you're getting out of SL is "virtual goods held hostage", I don't know what to tell you. I know I easily get $99 entertainment value in experiences and memories every week, and I hold those far more value than tangible goods or services such as streaming or shipping.

17 minutes ago, Edwards Perry said:

You spend a thousand every couple months to play in virtual land?...... Really?... I can barely admit I still play this game after all these years and there are users out there that spend a thousand every couple months?    I cant even get my hands on a Bellissario houseboat after 4 months of waiting.... Do you really think this game is worth your 4 grand a year?  sorry .. I do not buy it.

Edited by Edwards Perry
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, greek Wingtips said:

I did do my Maths and found that what I pay in a yearly account and my tiers for a 4096sq land, I could rent for much cheaper,

Then go and do it.

But be prepared to have to move soon, and often.  In order to stay in business, landlords must charge a minimum of about $L0.55 per prim per week, or they will take in less rent than they pay LL in tier.  For your 4096 parcel, that's about $L650 per week.

If a landlord is offering less than that, they won't be in business very long, and you'll be out on the street again looking for another landlord who can't do the math.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.