Wow Linden Labs, Just Wow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just like Second Life's creators Linden Labs is sticking it to the free account holders, and they are camouflaging it by saying it's to "help the economy". So they are punishing those of us who can not afford a monthly premium fee and rewarding those that do. When the free accounts have resulted in just as many amazing creators and resident creations, but I guess that doesn't add much to the bottom dollar that lines a Lindens pockets. I know I'm only one person and nobody really cares how I feel, especially since I've been a resident for 11 years and have been a free account the entire time. 

Edited by Moonbeam Devin
misspelled word
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I've been a free account the entire time too. Nothing that happens to Premium accounts affects my experience...those people getting more doesn't mean that I get less. I understand that the Premium price increase affects people who want Premium accounts, but if, like me, you've never had one and don't want one, I don't understand what we've lost?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't understand what we've lost?

Read the article.

Agreed OP, the thing is everything they are doing will hurt the economy. There is no trickle down of reduced land prices, this only benefits rich land barons. Removing quarterly and leaving only annual for cost savings is almost predatory. All the poor people playing free, and all the middle class people using premium will suffer, there is no benefit to us in this announcement. The groups are not worth 2 dollars more and the the offline IMs are not worth mentioning. I'm concerned wondering what their next great change is going to be. Premium platinum to pass more savings onto the few alongside more nerfs for basic users? World smorld, it's not like LL is a government and we're trapped playing this game, they alienate the users and we'll leave.

Edited by Desudesudesuka
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I've been a free account the entire time too. Nothing that happens to Premium accounts affects my experience...those people getting more doesn't mean that I get less. I understand that the Premium price increase affects people who want Premium accounts, but if, like me, you've never had one and don't want one, I don't understand what we've lost?

You will be losing some groups and offlines. They are removing from basics and giving to premiums.

image.png.55fbb1fb00e40ea4f8da7c05ae820866.png

Oh, right. Thank you, guys.

That's still enough for me personally, especially since I've probably got a wall of text from our friend Evenios or whatever he's called the next time I log in and I'd rather like that to go poof before I have to look at it. I'm not bothered. Can see why others would be, though. As you were, I'll be reading and absorbing.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You will be losing some groups and offlines. They are removing from basics and giving to premiums.

image.png.55fbb1fb00e40ea4f8da7c05ae820866.png

And there truly is no reason to reduce basic accounts. Its just trying to push us into paying their increased priced membership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

Oh, right. Thank you, guys.

That's still enough for me personally, especially since I've probably got a wall of text from our friend Evenios or whatever he's called the next time I log in and I'd rather like that to go poof before I have to look at it. I'm not bothered. Can see why others would be, though. As you were, I'll be reading and absorbing.

You can bypass it a little by enabling offline IM's to go to your email i believe. Also you can make it so inventory offers are automatically accepted (I believe those count towards offline ims and if you run out there is a chance you will not get that item). Next thing they will say is the offline ims to email function will be removed or become a premium option xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, SlyDog4 said:

You can bypass it a little by enabling offline IM's to go to your email i believe. Also you can make it so inventory offers are automatically accepted (I believe those count towards offline ims and if you run out there is a chance you will not get that item). Next thing they will say is the offline ims to email function will be removed or become a premium option xD

Oh for... !

Don't give them any ideas! xD

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Winner: Best post based on logic and truth without emotional paranoia.

The only thing Basic accounts take any hit on is the reduction of subscribed groups down to 35 (which is still ten more than the hard cap of 25 *everyone* had for years)  and if you have more: you will not lose them; you simply cannot join new ones until you are under the new cap. Also is the off-line IM cap to 15, which all IMs go to email anyway, even after any caps. Both of which are methods to improve system *performance* (which I do know for a fact that this is the why and how and it will work.)

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

Is it just me, or has anybody else seen some of their groups actually raise their joining price?

Good grief. I hope no one is doing that. Some of the groups I have wanted to join have been asking 500Ls and more to join for years on the pretense that the price will deter griefers. There was one group a long time ago that I actually would have needed to join if I had bought their product and they wanted 2500Ls just to join the group! Needless to say, I didn't buy their product and didn't join the group because of the additional 2500Ls it would have cost me. Utterly ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Just plain greed.

So, if anyone is actually doing this, I strongly advise you to rethink what you are doing and the real reasons behind it, then drop that join fee to a much more reasonable rate. Something along the lines of 10Ls or less, maybe, because really, if a griefer is determined, not even 2500Ls is going to stop them. Some of them are just nutty enough to spend that kind of money just to get revenge or harass someone.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
comma, comma, comma, comma, comma, com com
  • Like 2

Yeah the thing is..

Basic members... some basic members were giving them more money in a month than any premium membership could cover in a year... There are some MONTHS ive bought $100 of lindens... I've been buying Lindens regularly since 2006... 

How about a middle tier where you get to keep the number of group slots you have now if you've bought Lindens or were Premium at one point, but the crappy mushroom house wasn't enough to keep you?

Im sorry, I get what if I go premium? A mushroom wizard house the size of my butt and 100 prims? SIGN ME UP!

Edited by Drac Coalcliff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

My 2L on the group changes

As a premium member... I actually reduced my own groups just a day or two before this announcement... I have exactly 32 groups... Premium account under the new basic membership cap... There is an advantage to less groups anyways... less spam... less ims... less random ims from people that "found you in a group"... really I don't need MORE group spots as a premium and if I was basic 35 would be just fine... 

Also on people charging money to be in a group... I'm so tired of that... i just dumped a bunch of groups I had paid to get into at some point cause I'm tired of feeling locked into a group i don't really use anymore anyways and if their club is that exclusive to be part of then maybe its not really a club for me anyways.  I can understand the stores wanting to do a really small charge (say under 50L) just to discourage trolls and griefers but really why would you want to charge your customers a high fee to be in a group for you to advertise to them... you should want your customers in your group!

Maybe Linden Labs lowering the amount of groups might make some of these places rethink their group charges... If I was basic and just had my groups capped to a lower amount I would be far more selective about groups I join and less likely to buy into some of these pay to join ones.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Maybe Linden Labs lowering the amount of groups might make some of these places rethink their group charges

I seriously doubt it. I've seen one post already where someone was asking if people were raising the group join rates since the announcement. If anything they'll jack the join rate up. I've seen some groups where the join fee is as high as 2500Ls and one or two that were even higher.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I seriously doubt it. I've seen one post already where someone was asking if people were raising the group join rates since the announcement. If anything they'll jack the join rate up. I've seen some groups where the join fee is as high as 2500Ls and one or two that were even higher.

I know there are groups out there like that before the change the question is how will it effect most of the pay to join groups... i'm sure there will be a lot of experimentation.  For me if I'm gonna pay to join at least give me a benefit like a membership reduction of price in merchandise or something.  The worst are the exclusive pay to join clubs.  I've left pretty much all of those except for 1 that my wife likes and that's really only for her benefit otherwise I would have left that one too

18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Another “positive” impact on the SL economy!

27 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I know there are groups out there like that before the change the question is how will it effect most of the pay to join groups... i'm sure there will be a lot of experimentation.  For me if I'm gonna pay to join at least give me a benefit like a membership reduction of price in merchandise or something.  The worst are the exclusive pay to join clubs.  I've left pretty much all of those except for 1 that my wife likes and that's really only for her benefit otherwise I would have left that one too

Like I said, chances are the pay to join groups will likely jack up (raise) the rate to join the group. Greed does some strange things to people's heads as demonstrated by the 2500Ls to join group.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.