Moderate - how to be a good neighbor ?

Liss Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, i am soon moving to Bellisseria ( I hope ) and I have seen some word's about my question in other threads. But I thought to start a fresh one just for this. We are all uniqe people with different ways of being, different views of life and lifestyles. So my question to everyone is. What do you feel is accepted behaviour of your neighbor. Both in their private home behnd all kind of closed doors and out in public ? Just curious to know.

• Like 1

when i first moved into my new home  ,there was a couple driving a big truck right through my garden   ,the lady stepped out ,started banging on my door  .while the truck was standing stil in my yard  ,they seem to think they were funny   ,and i had something like WTF  ,i dont think its nice to behave this way some people like a bit of privacy in their homes ,another thing  is NO  adult stuf in any garden ,no  need to bother others with that  .

• Like 3

What people do behind closed door is not mine nor should it be anyone elses business.

Outside of it I think its rude to build huge, ugly privacy walls or have rotating, flickering things.

My biggest pet peeve is when I go to a parcel and I get welcome spam from the store next door who didn't feel the need to restrict their greeter to parcel only. Same goes for particles (like snow) that encroach on a neighbouring parcel and any other encroaching things including objects and music.

• Like 18

Rez an invisible prim around your property except main gate to prevent people driving into your property Do it with a flat linked u shaped mesh wall for 1 prim LI. 

As far as private stuff the land owner can do what he want if it is set t no one can see people on the parcel. They would have to walk through the gate spot to see and that would be their issue. Keep a security orb on.

you want to build a community, friends, and neighbors but be respectful of people's property

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anthonytorino said:

Some vehicles hop right over those short hedges, invi prims keep people from flying into the property

If your parcel is set to group, you can set your parcel to no object entry to group only. If anything enters your parcel it will bounce off. Even if it doesn’t bounce off, if anyone driving a vehicle in anyone’s yard gets out for any reason it will poof the moment they do. 

• Like 3

In my opinion...

• Restrict sounds to your parcel

• Try to keep outdoor decorating and landscaping somewhat close to the theme of the community

• Avoid or limit adding items that block your neighbors' view of the water or other appealing features/landscapes

On the flip slide, if you are dealing with a less than thoughtful neighbor there is (thankfully!) always the option to derender their items.

Edited by Callo Dinzel
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Callo Dinzel said:

On the flip slide, if you are dealing with a less than thoughtful neighbor there is (thankfully!) always the option to derender their items.

1) This is only available in some viewers. 2) It only works for you specifically and not everyone knows this option exists, much less how it's done. //justsaying

• Like 1

• Moles

Thoughtless people are a fact of life. In my real life the house next door to me has been rented to what appear to be college age kids who think nothing of setting up a sound system on their postage stamp back yard and playing really bad "music" loud enough so everyone in the neighborhood can hear it inside their homes with the windows closed. 

Inconsiderate neighbors are nothing new. You can't control their behavior, only your reaction to it. We tried to create a covenant that address the most common and irksome things and guide people into thinking about the perception of those around them before they act (or rez). Some things (like what other people are doing behind closed doors) are nobody's business. Sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself if you are actively looking for things to be irritated by. In those cases minding your own business and letting it go are the best choices. Sometimes a person is deliberately attempting to prevoke a response. For those people, deny them the satisfaction of giving them one. And sometimes people just don't know or don't realize what they are doing. When that happens a simple "Hey, could you not do that? Thanks" is usually all it takes. 

And most of the time the hardest part of all this is figuring out which of those cases you are dealing with and responding appropriately. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

6 hours ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

So, i am soon moving to Bellisseria ( I hope ) and I have seen some word's about my question in other threads. But I thought to start a fresh one just for this. We are all uniqe people with different ways of being, different views of life and lifestyles. So my question to everyone is. What do you feel is accepted behaviour of your neighbor. Both in their private home behnd all kind of closed doors and out in public ? Just curious to know.

What you do behind closed doors is no one else's business. Out in public, I think as long as you're not being a jerk to folks, people aren't going to care. I haven't found too many people who aren't super friendly and welcoming to their neighbors. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Atina0 said:

when i first moved into my new home  ,there was a couple driving a big truck right through my garden   ,the lady stepped out ,started banging on my door  .while the truck was standing stil in my yard  ,they seem to think they were funny   ,and i had something like WTF  ,i dont think its nice to behave this way some people like a bit of privacy in their homes ,another thing  is NO  adult stuf in any garden ,no  need to bother others with that  .

To combat this you can turn parcel auto return to 1 minute. Any item brought onto your land  (that do not belong to you) that isn't sat upon will only remain for 60 seconds before being returned. I also suggest just tping out of your home for about a minute. Without an audience, they will leave. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

To combat this you can turn parcel auto return to 1 minute. Any item brought onto your land  (that do not belong to you) that isn't sat upon will only remain for 60 seconds before being returned. I also suggest just tping out of your home for about a minute. Without an audience, they will leave. 

thats a great idea   never thought about that 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

Can also Right Click > More > Eject the avatar that stepped out of their vehicle on your land. Then target to return the object. They step back on, ban them for a bit because they didn't get the hint w/ the Eject. But that is me, personally. I will go for the avatar before I go for their object, unless it is a malicious object.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Atina0 said:

.... ,another thing  is NO  adult stuf in any garden ,no  need to bother others with that  .

21 hours ago, anthonytorino said:

As far as private stuff the land owner can do what he want if it is set t no one can see people on the parcel. They would have to walk through the gate spot to see and that would be their issue. Keep a security orb on

I have a very nicelooking outdoor shower in my garden - the ADULT version - and plan to keep it there. Should I ever fancy to shower naked there or indulge in adult activities (haven't done so for quite a long time) then I will first set "avatars invisible" .. I guess I will set that anyway permanently for what I do in my house for 80% of the time is unpacking and trying on dresses - naked. ;)

- anyway the ORB seems a good thing to have installed and going - even if I am not there.

But I quite see your point @Atina0 The shower itself looks good and quite harmless - I would NOT like people having torture equipment out in their garden though or f...ingmachines or some such. Even inside the house - though they are perfectly within their rights to have it there - I personally would rezz this kind of equipment directly on demand - means before I planned to use it - if and in case I would have this kind of taste! ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus

20 hours ago, anthonytorino said:

Rez an invisible prim around your property except main gate to prevent people driving into your property Do it with a flat linked u shaped mesh wall for 1 prim LI. 

As far as private stuff the land owner can do what he want if it is set t no one can see people on the parcel. They would have to walk through the gate spot to see and that would be their issue. Keep a security orb on.

you want to build a community, friends, and neighbors but be respectful of people's property

Just like cover the land under a invisible box,  like a model boat?  I never thought about this method. 

5 hours ago, Ruslana Koskinen said:

Just like cover the land under a invisible box,  like a model boat?  I never thought about this method. 

Not a box, But just invisible walls no more then the height of the house to prevent objects flying suddenly into it, or people. I would leave the front gate part open.

Yesterday I was riding around the neighborhoods exploring, and I came upon a guy who was standing on the front lawn of a home and shaking his arm really fast. With the rapid back and forth motion he was making, I thought he was doing something pretty adult for everyone to see. He was standing there very intently and quietly while facing the house's open window.

I turned the camera around on him and found him shaking a can of spraypaint. 😂

• Haha 17

6 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Yesterday I was riding around the neighborhoods exploring, and I came upon a guy who was standing on the front lawn of a home and shaking his arm really fast. With the rapid back and forth motion he was making, I thought he was doing something pretty adult for everyone to see. He was standing there very intently and quietly while facing the house's open window.

I turned the camera around on him and found him shaking a can of spraypaint. 😂

You thought he was doing something pretty adult... and went for the front view.  :o  :ph34r:

• Haha 6

On 4/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, Syn Anatine said:

Outside of it I think its rude to build huge, ugly privacy walls or have rotating, flickering things.

Guilty!
But there is about 100 meters of open water between each parcel. No one complained yet ^^

Snapshot3_001.thumb.jpg.5e423344bec97fa371f5d5840f64c9fc.jpg

On 4/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, Quiet Mirabella said:

What do you feel is accepted behaviour of your neighbor.

It can already be hard enough to deal with RL things you cant change at all - Thats why i personally chose a place to live in SL, where some rules are applied, to prevent me having to deal with things in here, too. There are rules like a skybox has to be at 1K meters or higher above sea level, no skyscrapers, maybe even restricted to a beach theme only. Works for me.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.