Houseboat

Areaian Ellisson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I didn't know that. Thx for the headsup! Currently, seems my settings are listed as follows (see below). Do I need to purchase something extra for the new homes?!  (I take it the 512m2 'Peak square meter usage' was from my old home?).

Allowed holdings: 1,024.00 square meters
Current holdings: 0.00 square meters
Available for purchase: 1,024.00 square meters
Peak square meter usage: 512.00 square meters
Total monthly cost: USD 0.00*

It looks like you should be fine.  The 512 peak usage is the max that you owned in the current billing period (which would have been your old home if you recently abandoned it).  The 1024 available for purchase just means that you have 1024 sqm available to use - either for a new Linden Home, or for purchasing a parcel on mainland.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

It looks like you should be fine.  The 512 peak usage is the max that you owned in the current billing period (which would have been your old home if you recently abandoned it).  The 1024 available for purchase just means that you have 1024 sqm available to use - either for a new Linden Home, or for purchasing a parcel on mainland.  

Wonderful! Thx. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SisiGurl said:

What is guaranteed is that I can elect to forego paying for a Premium Membership based upon my dissatisfaction with that fact that, as far as I am aware, it was impossible for me to determine the availability of a houseboat prior to abandoning my prior house. I abandoned my house, was unable to obtain a houseboat, and have cancelled my Premium Membership as a result.

Doesnt't matter. I signed up for Premium a couple weeks ago so my gain cancels out your loss. :P

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Candy Canningham said:

Were not sure they would be popular?  are you kidding..the stale homes are just that stale.  I been a premium member for a while and in SL for years and can't get one after I abandoned my old Tahoe house.  I am not amused at all.

There will be more shortly, be sure to follow this thread and receive emails

You may be lucky, by refreshing the selection page for getting your linden home.  For right now, it is just showing the older homes, but I refreshed it a few minutes ago and saw the newer house there, a boathouse may show up as well because people abandon them.  Good luck

15 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Still, new product launches often have glitches and I have confidence in LL that I and the others who wan one are going to get our house boats. 

Truthfully, even after LL rolls out more, I still doubt that everyone that wants a houseboat will get one.  There is only so many water plots they can create and I doubt they want to create so many water plots that too much of the inland stays empty.  

I do believe that everyone that wants a new Linden Home will be able to get one in some theme, though maybe not their first choice of themes.

7 hours ago, SisiGurl said:

What is guaranteed is that I can elect to forego paying for a Premium Membership based upon my dissatisfaction with that fact that, as far as I am aware, it was impossible for me to determine the availability of a houseboat prior to abandoning my prior house. I abandoned my house, was unable to obtain a houseboat, and have cancelled my Premium Membership as a result.

Just a note - in case you care about any of the other Premium benefits, they will remain in effect until the current Premium membership period expires.  i.e. you'll still get your weekly L$ stipend -- and if you paid for quarterly or yearly, then it will remain in effect long enough for you to also get the signup bonus.

7 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Actually, I did the exact opposite! I abandoned my old 117 prim parcel already (knowing the new ones were already taken), just so I can check for availability from the website page, without having to go inworld first. Because -- as you obviously know -- the webpage won't show you available homes when you're already occupying one. 

Actually it will, but you still have to do things very carefully and in a specific order unless you are willing to potentially pay $4 for a single month of tier.

LL probably should put a disclaimer on the Premium signup page or wherever they advertise the Homes saying something along the lines of "a particular house type is NOT guaranteed".  In this case, it might have helped in the houseboat expectations, but not in the availability of the New Homes overall.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Repeating words

On 4/17/2019 at 9:36 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Except, as I said before:  There was never ever a guarantee that any particular style would be available.

Most people probably don't remember this, but we had the same issue when the original Linden Homes first became available.  The fantasy themed ones filled really quickly and became unavailable, so people had to choose one of the other themes.  Many, many folks were pissed off and come to the forums to rant and rave about it.  They said the same thing:  "The only reason I became Premium was to get a Hobbit House or Wizard House".  However, everyone always forgets the most important point:  While a Linden Home is part of your Premium package, nobody promises a specific style!!!

Then they should have said that. I did not see any disclaimers, just the promotion of the new houses. I do not remember the earlier issue because I had no interest in getting an LL house before the houseboats became available. As I said earlier, I guess overall getting even a crappy house is cheaper than I have been paying for a nice one, which I use only to change clothes in and rezz stuff at this point, but I really wanted a houseboat. My big concern was whether I could get one where the waves are coming in rather that going out or sidewise. I had a house once on a beach with waves coming in and sat for hours watching the moon on the waves in the dark. It is really hard to find such a place for a reasonable price, and I thought I had a chance with these houseboats, but I cannot even *get* a houseboat, so seems like that was stupid idea. And getting my hopes up with anything related to LL was even stupider. I am sure they appreciate you carrying water for them, though.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to note in general that those paying attention (always a good thing in "real life" too) heard Patch stating (and warning) folks that there weren't enough plots now for all those that would want them.  This was in a video and I know that I reported that info here in the forums at least once.  Many of us have been watching the new continent come into being for three quarters of a year or so. Many of the watcher folks   got gorgeous plots (some got two with alts) -- simply because we were AWARE and waiting.

There ARE plans for more house and houseboats (official). You can see them already there on the SSP continent (just type that into the map and you can find it). Different styles of abodes will be offered (likely some that are larger with more open plans as some folks want that). There is a lot of chatter about LL adding to the continent sooner than they planned --- but I have yet to have someone point me (I asked specifically) to any official comment on that.

Those of us that became premium on a yearly basis are actually only paying a little over a US dollar a month for our houses. Folks that are willing to keep trying are garnering plots for their efforts. Just like with many things, there are no guarantees. Each time new land areas are opened up there has been a rush (well, not sure about Zindra but certainly Horizons, Bay City and the OLD Linden Homes).  Not news; this was to be expected.    

Your Premium is only $12 a year? I seem to have missed that plan...

Although I have been in SL 11 years and am very active, I don't follow the forums or SL PR. I found out about the new homes in the Destinations tab, where they had the models. Then I started logging on the SL site and looking at the blog feed to see when they were going to be available. I saw and read the blog post, and (stupidly) assumed I could get a house because there was NO DISCLAIMER of limited availability. So, again stupidly, I signed up for a year of Premium and went to get my houseboat, and guess what, no houseboats. So I guess the whole thing is my fault for thinking LL was going to do a competent launch.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, SisiGurl said:

I guess that works if you were paying month-to-month, but as far as I know cancelling doesn't get you a refund if you bought an annual membership, which I did.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, kiramanell said:

Actually, I did the exact opposite! I abandoned my old 117 prim parcel already (knowing the new ones were already taken), just so I can check for availability from the website page, without having to go inworld first. Because -- as you obviously know -- the webpage won't show you available homes when you're already occupying one. 

Yes, and that just adds to the frustration. So, I have to be homeless or rent another place just so I can even see whether a home I want is available. Or log onto the site with an alt that doesn't have a Premium account.

27 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Your Premium is only $12 a year? I seem to have missed that plan...

If you pay yearly as you did and count in the "stipend" you get back each week, it figures out to a bit over a dollar per month.  I think it is closer to $15 a year but there are many ways to calculate and the value of the linden dollar does fluctuate some.  If you are a first time premium person I think you may still get a bonus after 45 days, but not sure if that is still going on -- so then it would be LESS than a dollar a month. 

Since we know that there will be houseboats soon (they are working on them in the SSP sims now) you can grab one of those if you are paying attention and are lucky.  More houses in different styles are coming "soon" (best general - no official - guess is 2-3 months).  So just keep watching the forums and other official Linden outlets (Town Halls and other videos) so that you will know when they first appear and get one.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

So I guess the whole thing is my fault for thinking LL was going to do a competent launch.

I think it's better to do a limited launch of just about anything in order to access the beginning stages and determine the best way moving forward.

Plus, LL does have a limited number of workers and only can do so much at a time -- they are not a mega corporation with unlimited funds.

And..If they had waited to launch until all the continents were finished we'd be birching about how long it took to get anything out.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Yes, and that just adds to the frustration. So, I have to be homeless or rent another place just so I can even see whether a home I want is available. Or log onto the site with an alt that doesn't have a Premium account.

I don't think the not-premium alt can see if it's something available? That is closed for basic subscribers, isn't it? I just took an alt off premium. He could see the available houses, when I had downgraded, he could not do it anymore.

• Thanks 1

I've only been here not quite 5 years, so I wasn't here for the roll-out of the first Linden homes.  I have almost always had a Linden home, even when renting or owning other mainland.  Periodically I would decide I wanted a different type of Linden home, and there were a number of times when not all of the house styles within a theme were available.  I know that I had to keep trying for awhile for a particular Tahoe style that I wanted.  So, even with the old Linden homes, it was not always possible to get the style one wanted right off the bat. 

Even if someone is not a "forum" person, the blogs here are one of LL's official communication channels, so setting up notifications about blog entries and/or peeking in when something unusual or new seems eminent is a good thing to do.  In the announcement for the previews (and the discussions that followed here) we heard that the new homes would be "soon".  

Since the SSP work regions were first sighted last August by residents, there have been discussion and conjectures discussed here.  When the new continent was actually created, before it opened, just looking at it, I did not think that it looked big enough to hold everyone who currently had a Linden home at initial launch, so I figured spots would go quickly.  We had been told though, even before the launch, that there would be more expansion to come.  Building it out in phases makes sense to me.  From various chit-chat around here, people are thinking  that the next release may have a larger number of additional houseboats.  Hopefully this will be true, for all those wanting a houseboat.   

• Like 1

I was able to get a traditional home on my main account, but my alt is homeless at the moment as there are no houseboats available.  I can wait for the next release and hopefully grab one.  I am hoping that the versions that follow will include a rustic mountain cabin.  I would so grab one of those.  In the meantime, I am decorating my Winchester and riding my bicycle or horse around the continent.  I find these two modes of transportation to be most suitable for sightseeing on solid pixel ground.

I have to agree with many here, I'm afraid.

After being in-world for several years and seeing these new homes advertised, I finally upgraded to Premium a couple of days ago (paying for 12 months upfront).  I am really disappointed to find that not enough of the houseboats and homes have been built!

I also find it rather cheeky to say the least that the Lindens are quite happy to offer me one of the older style homes right now, when in their own words "Old Linden Homes will be phased out over time..."

Surely, they should stop anyone from signing up to a new home that could be demolished in a matter of months!

There, moan over...

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, WillowTenage said:

There will be more shortly, be sure to follow this thread and receive emails

You may be lucky, by refreshing the selection page for getting your linden home.  For right now, it is just showing the older homes, but I refreshed it a few minutes ago and saw the newer house there, a boathouse may show up as well because people abandon them.  Good luck

Nowhere in that post does it say "shortly" FWIW.

58 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Said by Patch here on the forums not long after that official post.  

You know, the forums where smart folks hang out so that we can actually KNOW what is going on (or as much as possible anyway).   

Sorry. Just getting tired of all the complainers. 

The forums (while sometimes toxic) are some of the best places to get info in SL.  BUT you have to actually WATCH them to learn what you need to know. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

You know, the forums where smart folks hang out so that we can actually KNOW what is going on (or as much as possible anyway).   

The forums (while sometimes toxic) are some of the best places to get info in SL.  BUT you have to actually WATCH them to learn what you need to know. 

I'm not complaining. I already have my home. But if they want to claim that they will be ready "shortly" they should quote where Patch said they they will be ready "shortly." 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, stlshayne said:

You're right, sorry for misleading you.  I should have said near future, that to me is shortly but my sense of time hardly represents everyones and I need to be more careful with my wording.  Be sure to check out the SSP to see the progress they are making, they are doing a fantastic job :) 

1 hour ago, stlshayne said:

I'm not complaining. I already have my home. But if they want to claim that they will be ready "shortly" they should quote where Patch said they they will be ready "shortly." 🤷‍♂️

I found the post mentioned by Patch. 

Clicked on "Patch Linden" to get his feed list.

Found the date mentioned.

Here is the post.  You can easily read ALL of Patch's posts that way.

In the thread called LINDEN HOMES.

EDIT:  The exact quote would be "coming very soon" as you can see. 

image.thumb.png.ad245350192de69f275f45872cc3533e.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I found the post mentioned by Patch. 

Clicked on "Patch Linden" to get his feed list.

Found the date mentioned.

Here is the post.  You can easily read ALL of Patch's posts that way.

In the thread called LINDEN HOMES.

EDIT:  The exact quote would be "coming very soon" as you can see. 

image.thumb.png.ad245350192de69f275f45872cc3533e.png

Thank you. I hope people make it this far in the thread so they can see that Patch did indeed say that they are coming "very soon." 

I don't mean to be a stickler for words or anything, but with how the rollout has been, I've seen people really cherrypicking LL's language and whatnot. Like "soon," "in the near future," ect. A lot of not-exact phrases are thrown around by both parties, so I feel its pretty important to be specific, especially when the "when do i get my home?" crowd is usually understandably frustrated or anguished. 

Edited by stlshayne

19 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yeah, maybe they should have only promoted them where the 'smart' people hang out instead of where the hoi polloi would see them and just read the blog saying THEY ARE HERE! and no do research to see that actually it was a work-in-progress. No reason for Patch or anyone to bother to just maybe, like, say that in the blog post announcing they were ready and available. Or the wiki linked to in the blog post. Perhaps they should have said go read the forums or something for us stoopids.

At least I know better for next time they launch sometime, I guess. Maybe that makes me at least semi-smart now...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.