Houseboat

Areaian Ellisson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, GreatBigHippy said:

Well. I finally got a trad... I don;t like it... like.. at all... but it's a place to rez until they sort it out.

Problem is, you cannot seem to see if a houseboat is available if you already have a house. I set up one of the old houses when the houseboats were not available, and just abandoned  it so I can see what *is* available. Which is nothing new atm.

I should have checked availability *before* I signed up for a year of Premium, I guess. I just thought somehow they would not be advertising something they could not provide. Again, no surprise with LL.

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Merged, because we do not need multiple threads on the same topic.   

That said, there are many, many other reasons to have a premium account.  A houseboat, or any Linden Home (old or new) for that matter are just one feature besides weekly stipends, Live Chat customer support, increased group limits, increased offline IM limits, premium gifts, exclusive region access rights, etc.

https://secondlife.com/premium/

Except getting a houseboat is the only reason I signed up. I have been with SL for over 11 years, and this is the first time I have been tempted. It does wind up being cheaper than where I live now, but the houseboat is what got me to make the move.

24 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Problem is, you cannot seem to see if a houseboat is available if you already have a house. I set up one of the old houses when the houseboats were not available, and just abandoned  it so I can see what *is* available. Which is nothing new atm.

I should have checked availability *before* I signed up for a year of Premium, I guess. I just thought somehow they would not be advertising something they could not provide. Again, no surprise with LL.

I spend exactly the same thing just pay for a boat house. LL is not the one to give us any guarantee they do not understand our situation. I have been very disappointed with this situation. But I will stay with the traditional house so I observe at all times if they expand the new areas.

26 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

As stated in the Linden Home info each avatar can ONLY have ONE Linden Home. You cannot have both a home and a houseboat unless you use and alt and make that alt premium.

1 hour ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Except getting a houseboat is the only reason I signed up. I have been with SL for over 11 years, and this is the first time I have been tempted. It does wind up being cheaper than where I live now, but the houseboat is what got me to make the move.

Except, as I said before:  There was never ever a guarantee that any particular style would be available.

Most people probably don't remember this, but we had the same issue when the original Linden Homes first became available.  The fantasy themed ones filled really quickly and became unavailable, so people had to choose one of the other themes.  Many, many folks were pissed off and come to the forums to rant and rave about it.  They said the same thing:  "The only reason I became Premium was to get a Hobbit House or Wizard House".  However, everyone always forgets the most important point:  While a Linden Home is part of your Premium package, nobody promises a specific style!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Unfortunately, even if the web page showed if there were currently homes, by the time you logged in and did the Abandon and got back to the web page, someone else could have nabbed the last one.

The only way around it is if LL could give an option on the web page to "change homes" with a notice that it will automatically cause an abandon of the existing property, combined with being able to see if there are some available for the type you want.  Then you could click a final OK button and in the background it swaps your ownership.

I'd vote for that! (if it were a democracy, which it ain't)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Except, as I said before:  There was never ever a guarantee that any particular style would be available.

Most people probably don't remember this, but we had the same issue when the original Linden Homes first became available.  The fantasy themed ones filled really quickly and became unavailable, so people had to choose one of the other themes.  Many, many folks were pissed off and come to the forums to rant and rave about it.  They said the same thing:  "The only reason I became Premium was to get a Hobbit House or Wizard House".  However, everyone always forgets the most important point:  While a Linden Home is part of your Premium package, nobody promises a specific style!!!

But this is not made clear on the Linden Homes wiki article which uses words like 'you can have...'.

I knew it, you knew it, lots of old-timers know it, but new Premium people don't (necessarily) know it.

And if you have just forked out $72 USD (plus conversion cost from Yuan or whatever) for a year's premium you will be pissed off.

Edited by anna2358
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

As stated in the Linden Home info each avatar can ONLY have ONE Linden Home. You cannot have both a home and a houseboat unless you use and alt and make that alt premium.

You can't have anything but a Hobbit house now.  LL totally misread the demand.

I hope they have learned a lot from this exercise.   There is MONEY in HOUSEBOATS and NAVIGABLE WATER plots.  Lots of money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

You can't have anything but a Hobbit house now.  LL totally misread the demand.

I hope they have learned a lot from this exercise.   There is MONEY in HOUSEBOATS and NAVIGABLE WATER plots.  Lots of money.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next round of Linden homes after Bellisseria comes in the form of an archipelago to maximize water front land. 🙂

Still, new product launches often have glitches and I have confidence in LL that I and the others who wan one are going to get our house boats. 

11 hours ago, anna2358 said:

With all due respect Patch, most of those 'other reasons' won't convert non-premium to premium.  They never have done in the past.  I went premium to own a Mainland parcel long ago.  I'd like to have a waterfront parcel, but the prices to buy or rent are beyond my budget.

It would be interesting to know how many of the new homes caused new premium accounts.  Because we need more premium members to keep you guys in business.  I know at least one guy who went premium to get one, and then found they had all gone.  And ya, the old ones suck.

I went premium a few weeks ago, solely to get one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SLliny said:

I do not want to occupy land because if there is a boat house available, I can not change it in 24 hours. 

You can change it in literally seconds. Abandon old land, return to your Account web-page and claim new house.

If you have anything rezzed on the old land it will go to your Lost & Found as a coalesced block, you can go to a sandbox later to sort it out.

• Like 4

I refreshed for 2 minutes after reading this thread and after one popped up and I failed to get it another did after another 2, I teleported over and the guy who abandoned said he wanted a property in a wooded area, I wished him luck because as you say  some refresh for ages.. I got lucky so I can't really say to just refresh  the page and you'll get one , but you never know keep trying 

17 hours ago, SLliny said:

I know but honestly if I had known that there were no boat houses available and that they were not going to guarantee me one, I would not have paid for it was the only thing I wanted.

I too made premium to get one of the new houses or boat house.  Very disappointed they did not make available enough for there subscribers.  The old houses no one wants anymore they can just make them disappear faster and make more new available.  And announce the date for future releases too.

• Like 1

Just wanted to note in general that those paying attention (always a good thing in "real life" too) heard Patch stating (and warning) folks that there weren't enough plots now for all those that would want them.  This was in a video and I know that I reported that info here in the forums at least once.  Many of us have been watching the new continent come into being for three quarters of a year or so. Many of the watcher folks   got gorgeous plots (some got two with alts) -- simply because we were AWARE and waiting.

There ARE plans for more house and houseboats (official). You can see them already there on the SSP continent (just type that into the map and you can find it). Different styles of abodes will be offered (likely some that are larger with more open plans as some folks want that). There is a lot of chatter about LL adding to the continent sooner than they planned --- but I have yet to have someone point me (I asked specifically) to any official comment on that.

Those of us that became premium on a yearly basis are actually only paying a little over a US dollar a month for our houses. Folks that are willing to keep trying are garnering plots for their efforts. Just like with many things, there are no guarantees. Each time new land areas are opened up there has been a rush (well, not sure about Zindra but certainly Horizons, Bay City and the OLD Linden Homes).  Not news; this was to be expected.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to note in general that those paying attention (always a good thing in "real life" too) heard Patch stating (and warning) folks that there weren't enough plots now for all those that would want them.  This was in a video and I know that I reported that info here in the forums at least once.  Many of us have been watching the new continent come into being for three quarters of a year or so. Many of the watcher folks   got gorgeous plots (some got two with alts) -- simply because we were AWARE and waiting.

There ARE plans for more house and houseboats (official). You can see them already there on the SSP continent (just type that into the map and you can find it). Different styles of abodes will be offered (likely some that are larger with more open plans as some folks want that). There is a lot of chatter about LL adding to the continent sooner than they planned --- but I have yet to have someone point me (I asked specifically) to any official comment on that.

Those of us that became premium on a yearly basis are actually only paying a little over a US dollar a month for our houses. Folks that are willing to keep trying are garnering plots for their efforts. Just like with many things, there are no guarantees. Each time new land areas are opened up there has been a rush (well, not sure about Zindra but certainly Horizons, Bay City and the OLD Linden Homes).  Not news; this was to be expected.    

No mention in there of 'HURRY, LIMITED NUMBERS, EXPECTED TO GO FAST'.

If as you say Patch has been warning of that, at least he could have put the warning in the notice.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

What is guaranteed is that I can elect to forego paying for a Premium Membership based upon my dissatisfaction with that fact that, as far as I am aware, it was impossible for me to determine the availability of a houseboat prior to abandoning my prior house. I abandoned my house, was unable to obtain a houseboat, and have cancelled my Premium Membership as a result.

9 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

No mention in there of 'HURRY, LIMITED NUMBERS, EXPECTED TO GO FAST'.

If as you say Patch has been warning of that, at least he could have put the warning in the notice.

Oh I didn't know Patch was a Psychic and could predict the houseboats would sell out fast, hence yes he should have ushered a warning   :)

10 minutes ago, SisiGurl said:

What is guaranteed is that I can elect to forego paying for a Premium Membership based upon my dissatisfaction with that fact that, as far as I am aware, it was impossible for me to determine the availability of a houseboat prior to abandoning my prior house. I abandoned my house, was unable to obtain a houseboat, and have cancelled my Premium Membership as a result.

omg SL is goin down due to your action!  Please reconsider!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh I didn't know Patch was a Psychic and could predict the houseboats would sell out fast, hence yes he should have ushered a warning   :)

He's a Linden, of course he's psychic.  Only Lindens can use God-mode, after all.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Patch Linden said:

We do have more houseboats coming soon!  You can always take a Traditional home today, they are still available, and then switch later as more houseboat supply becomes available.

Actually, I did the exact opposite! I abandoned my old 117 prim parcel already (knowing the new ones were already taken), just so I can check for availability from the website page, without having to go inworld first. Because -- as you obviously know -- the webpage won't show you available homes when you're already occupying one. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Actually, I did the exact opposite! I abandoned my old 117 prim parcel already (knowing the new ones were already taken), just so I can check for availability from the website page, without having to go inworld first. Because -- as you obviously know -- the webpage won't show you available homes when you're already occupying one. 

Sounds like a good plan. You DO know that the new homes (current ones anyway) are 1024 lots and not 512s?  So you need 1024 of open tier if you want to keep your payment "free".  That is explained in the Linden Homes wiki.    Just in case there was some confusion :D. 

Likely some Bellisseria folks will leave because of the new security rules so now and then there will likely be availability. I certainly hope that the folks with houses don't abandon to "get a better lot" as it is unlikely they can get one now ^^.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Sounds like a good plan. You DO know that the new homes (current ones anyway) are 1024 lots and not 512s?  So you need 1024 of open tier if you want to keep your payment "free".  That is explained in the Linden Homes wiki.    Just in case there was some confusion :D. 

Likely some Bellisseria folks will leave because of the new security rules so now and then there will likely be availability. I certainly hope that the folks with houses don't abandon to "get a better lot" as it is unlikely they can get one now ^^.  

I didn't know that. Thx for the headsup! Currently, seems my settings are listed as follows (see below). Do I need to purchase something extra for the new homes?!  (I take it the 512m2 'Peak square meter usage' was from my old home?).

Allowed holdings: 1,024.00 square meters
Current holdings: 0.00 square meters
Available for purchase: 1,024.00 square meters
Peak square meter usage: 512.00 square meters
Total monthly cost: USD 0.00*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.