Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

You mean like . . . The entire rest of the grid?

And why should the flying community get the best of SL and those who wish to have security be confined to the so-called rest of SL. We all know that mainland isn't anywhere as nicely done as the new Linden Homes. How about this. You all can go to the old Linden Homes and remove all the ban lines and orbs and everything ... and you all go there to fly... would that be fair? Of course not. Please stop this mentality. This is only driving the wedge deeper. This is not going to help anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

At this point, it doesn't really matter, it's not going to fix anything.

The lack of rez zones already created a gap between the "Haves & Have-Nots" and this latest move drove a big wedge into the gap and has created a division in the "community" that isn't going to go away. This is just the way things are at this point in human history.

Fix? I doubt it as well. But at least would put an end to this discussion. I mean, if people are going to question even a democratic decision, then I sincerely don't know what else will do.

It's how communities solve their differences: They vote. There's no fairer way, hence why I keep mentioning it.

Otherwise, its just people (myself included) veiledly pushing their personal agenda over and over.

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I am confused.  If you have a linden house/boat   why do you need a rez zone?

The rez zones are needed because after you decorate your house/vehicle, 9 times out of ten you won't have the remaining prims available for the vehicle. I definitely that for the community areas to have these would be great.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

You mean like . . . The entire rest of the grid?

^^^For this, the rest of the grid doesn't have these linden homes. If they did an option to choose one of these homes, in a 1024 parcel in the old linden home set up with that it would be great. Having regions where they can have this. Some have already gone back to the old linden homes the only problem with this is that the old linden homes have been announced that they are going to be phased out. Soon they are not going to have these options and instead for the same amount of prims they'll need to hope they can find and BUY a parcel on top of their subscription to do so. This is a linden home you're given, on a size, plus prims to decorate versus just the prims to decorate and now oh yeah find a house, and find this and ... not the same thing.

As a person that is hoping the ban lines that aren't needed. I am debating this because while I personally don't mind not having them I can see the reason for them and would love if I run into enough problems that the option would be available if needed. 

Looking at it for a community as a whole. I see why the anti banlines don't want it and I can see why people also want the ban lines. If you can set it up so that anti concerns are met and the damages mitigated so that those that currently do want it now and it was originally implemented with have it. That would be great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoeyTuesday said:

what I would like to see would a removal of the ability for orbs to tp people home.  Afterall if you just eject someone from your land they are off your land. 

Constantine Linden said they would be giving us Linden made orbs and those will be the only ones allowed in the new housing. They won't tp home, just kick off the land. 

• Like 1

Here's an idea. Why not make Ban Lines INVISIBLE??  Problem solved. No one sees them and when people try and enter ones parcel they run into an INVISIBLE wall! Land looks cleanno sees anything and all can happy happy hippos. I know this is possible come on Linden IF your looking for aesthetics on this brand NEW land that looks nice and clean AND still provides people with privacy and security  GIVE it a try. Then see how it looks and works 😋

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wallace Wirefly said:

Here's an idea. Why not make Ban Lines INVISIBLE??  Problem solved. No one sees them and when people try and enter ones parcel they run into an INVISIBLE wall! Land looks cleanno sees anything and all can happy happy hippos. I know this is possible come on Linden IF your looking for aesthetics on this brand NEW land that looks nice and clean AND still provides people with privacy and security  GIVE it a try. Then see how it looks and works 😋

That was suggested but the problem with the ban lines is that they will impede some travel if they're run into and can break vehicle scripts. Thus finding a middle ground/happy medium is being discussed and attempted.

22 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

If you have a house, you don't have water access for rezzing, and not all houseboats have a connection to the land - I abandoned one for that reason, silly design.

It is less of a problem for the houseboats as most of them do have land next to them as well.  But for everyone else, it's just another example of SL imitating RL where water access is for the few.  At least in RL there are public launch ramps and marinas, the equivalent here would be of course, rez zones.

Yay for a fair and equal community. Well done.

• Thanks 2

I am finding this thread....interesting.  Now perhaps I've lived a sheltered Second Life, but I've never used security orbs, or ban lines.  In fact, some of the places I've had parcels in, ban lines are forbidden as are security orbs below 512m.  I even leave rezzing on for non group objects.

The lack of them hasn't bothered me because I haven't felt the need for them.  In all my landed years in SL, the number of times I've had interlopers on my personal property is less than 10.   It was often a curious newbie who didn't know the ropes, and I gently explained to them the concept of private parcels. They usually TP'd out heading to someplace like the Caledon Oxbridge, The Shelter or NCI, that I directed them to.  When it wasn't a curious newbie, usually a direct "this is my private house, please leave, would do the trick followed by an eject if necessary.  I've only had to add one person to a ban list on one of my own personal parcels.

I've been an Estate manager as well, and I rarely ever had to use such powers to get rid of interlopers, more often troublemakers were disgruntled estate residents causing "drama".

So I must admit I'm finding it hard to believe that the lack of ban lines or limits to security orbs will lead to a plague of trespassing.  I don't know what kind of SL some of you live in, but that sort of thing is rare in my experience.  SL is full of oldbies who know the customs.  Sure there's people who grief, but they tend to do it to social venues where they have an audience, not personal homes.  (And I HAVE had to remove people from social venues) Heck, I haven't been griefed in a Sandbox in years, and in the old days that wasn't uncommon.

• Like 5

If you want extreme suburban peace and privacy in Second Life, there are private landlords who provide that. Acacia Falls and Lionheart are in that business. They have many rules, which they enforce actively. If that's what you want, it's available.                                                 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

I am finding this thread....interesting.  Now perhaps I've lived a sheltered Second Life, but I've never used security orbs, or ban lines.  In fact, some of the places I've had parcels in, ban lines are forbidden as are security orbs below 512m.  I even leave rezzing on for non group objects.

The lack of them hasn't bothered me because I haven't felt the need for them.  In all my landed years in SL, the number of times I've had interlopers on my personal property is less than 10.   It was often a curious newbie who didn't know the ropes, and I gently explained to them the concept of private parcels. They usually TP'd out heading to someplace like the Caledon Oxbridge, The Shelter or NCI, that I directed them to.  When it wasn't a curious newbie, usually a direct "this is my private house, please leave, would do the trick followed by an eject if necessary.  I've only had to add one person to a ban list on one of my own personal parcels.

I've been an Estate manager as well, and I rarely ever had to use such powers to get rid of interlopers, more often troublemakers were disgruntled estate residents causing "drama".

So I must admit I'm finding it hard to believe that the lack of ban lines or limits to security orbs will lead to a plague of trespassing.  I don't know what kind of SL some of you live in, but that sort of thing is rare in my experience.  SL is full of oldbies who know the customs.  Sure there's people who grief, but they tend to do it to social venues where they have an audience, not personal homes.  (And I HAVE had to remove people from social venues) Heck, I haven't been griefed in a Sandbox in years, and in the old days that wasn't uncommon.

I admit I ran into this far more on my old account than on my current one. Though I have also run into some that have translated into some rl stalking as well. The rl stalking was handled with local law enforcement and is in part one of the reason I made a new account and started over. I did at one point have a semi-popular place I managed for a while with that account and when it had a high traffic number the most. Then there was someone trolling linden homes a few times where it got to the point that it was happening daily and I do know others have as well. I've even known a few people to get trolled and then end up in youtube videos on the internet. I've thankfully never had to deal with that and have been able to avoid ending up SL Youtube famous for it but i can get other people's concerns with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, animats said:

If you want extreme suburban peace and privacy in Second Life, there are private landlords who provide that. Acacia Falls and Lionheart are in that business. They have many rules, which they enforce actively. If that's what you want, it's available.                                                 

That's really pointless to bring up. Those of us who purchase premium accounts do so for a reason. We don't want to rent private land. We want to use our tier allotment on mainland. And now with beautiful homes with yards or water we want a Linden Home. Mainland does not offer the same well built homes as free prims. I don't understand why some people are having trouble understanding that you can love the homes, the yards, the water, the parks, the roads and so forth and not necessarily want their homes open to the public or prying eyes.

I have two of the new Linden Homes. I would love one to be open without any boundaries but I would like one to be private. I'd like to be able to retreat to my private dwelling without having to be on the lookout for interlopers. But I can live with it as it is. But for some they want privacy along with having a beautiful home and surroundings. They shouldn't have to choose security or beauty when using their allotted sqm.

• Like 9

It's kind of cool that Second Life has many of the neighbor problems of real life. That's an indication that it's working as designed, as a mirror of the real world.

(Unlike real life, in SL I can't whack my leg with the weed whacker string, which I just did. Just a bruise; I was wearing full shoes, heavy socks and jeans, like you're supposed to. SL does have certain advantages.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Because when exploring by vehicle if a bad border-crossing or something else causes you to become unseated (and lose your vehicle by auto-return, etc.) - you will have to go alllll the way back home and start all over again. Also, many who do not have LL homes (or even Premium accounts_ would like to experience the area, too, I think. :)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I suppose it's too much to ask that people at least wait until the orbs are available, see how they work, and THEN complain?

This!

Maybe we should consider waiting for the new orb to be implemented, and see how this new LH experience LL is trying goes for a bit before we all start trying to give suggestions as if we knew better than LL itself? At least so we can all have some actual real experience with this new thing?

I don't know.... It just feels like we all want things OUR way, and keep coming up with excuses for explaining why it should or shouldn't be. And yes, this goes both ways (both groups, and, yup, me included).

The more I look at this thread, the less I think of it. It is steadily doing nothing but growing the discord between both groups even further. Hopefully, I'm wrong at this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm personally in the middle of the road on this. I personally want to try it without the ban lines but I mostly stepped in to start debating when I noticed some things starting to get out of hand and decided to try to calmly debate the side of those that are pro-banlines. I can see and sympathize with both sides of the issues and I'd love things that both sides are wanting.

I do actually like and enjoy exploring (despite accusations that I'm not an explorer because I was arguing the pro side.) I just make sure to account for lag when I'm going to cross a sim border but that's because I'm not used to my new computer that handles the sim crossings super smoothly even with all photo and windlights setting maxed out. My old pc just could not do this. 

That being said I have also dealt with situations for being on the wrong old linden home sim at the wrong time because of a series of griefers. I've also dealt with this on mainland as well. 

I am hoping that SL has changed again and gone back to the beginning of the circle. When I first joined SL it was a very community-oriented place and I have been missing that feeling. It feels like for a while it moved away from that and I am loving that shift back to it. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.