Teleport disconnects - a tip/workaround

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you're having trouble with the teleport disconnect bug, try adding your destination landmark to your Favourites. Also make sure that your preferences are set to include your Favourites in the drop-down on the login page. Then, if you get disconnected,you can log in directly at your destination.

I don't know if this feature is available in the official viewer but it works for me in Firestorm. I'm getting into the habit of adding every landmark to my Favourites before I try to teleport to it. Then once I'm safely there, I remove it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think all third-party viewers have the Favorites at login screen option. The Official viewer does not (though funny that it does have Grid selection option!).

This is an interesting idea, though I have found consistently (for me, at least) that if I get disconnected during a teleport I usually am at my intended destination when I log back in (I don't think viewer has anything to do with it but will mention I'm using Catznip) - though every once in a while I do get that "didn't save your session-image" bit and end up where I was 30 minutes ago, wearing what I was, etc. LOL

So, a neato idea to be sure. I usually remember where it was I was headed to so I don't like to save LMs for places that are easy to find, etc. Though if you already have LM favorites then it is definitely a good idea, BUT - you need to remember to turn that off before next login or you'll always log into that place until you do. LOL

Additionally, it seems that derendering the Sky before teleport (as all this seems to come from this grand EEP decision) has been causing less crashes. Simple defender before tp and rerender after landing. 

Control + Shift + Alt + 6

2 hours ago, norajulian said:

Additionally, it seems that derendering the Sky before teleport (as all this seems to come from this grand EEP decision) has been causing less crashes. Simple defender before tp and rerender after landing. 

Control + Shift + Alt + 6

This seems not to help, or at best, not to help much. (It may be an okay thing to do anyway until EEP is supported by the viewer in use, because the EEP sky can look pretty strange in a non-EEP viewer.)

At some point, a developer referred to this practice as analogous to putting a banana in our ear to fend off the alligators.

The Lab apparently shared more information about this bug at the Friday TPV Developer meeting, as Inara Pey noted in her blog. Among the updates:

• As previously indicated in my updates, the root cause of the issue is a race condition / timing issue – something that could be exacerbated by the distance of a user from the Lab’s servers (the grater the distance = the more time required for communications = the greater the chance of a timing issue / race condition).
  • Similarly, a high packet loss between viewer and simulator(s) might increase the chances of a disconnect occurring.
  • The problem remains in trying to identify precisely what has changed to cause any race condition / timing issue.

The parts I highlighted may explain why some folks have the problem so much worse than others. (For me, it tends to happen very early in the morning, and then usually goes away for the rest of the day. That's certainly not when the SL grid is busiest, but it might be when my ISP has less network capacity available. Or something.)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

At some point, a developer referred to this practice as analogous to putting a banana in our ear to fend off the alligators.

Oh, you meana that is actually working? We all know gators don't like dem bananas, right? ;)

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This seems not to help, or at best, not to help much. (It may be an okay thing to do anyway until EEP is supported by the viewer in use, because the EEP sky can look pretty strange in a non-EEP viewer

Perhaps it is my dislike for EEP, but I’ll take coincidence over everything. This alligator hasn’t been crashing at all using the trick and that’s fine by me (and much better than saving my location to favorites with each TP). When I’m not, I AM crashing. Ignorance, I may live in, but at least I’m not crashing. 🙃

Not sure about the distance thing, I am in Australia and it was happening every tp, then stopped, then randomly, but my American friends are crashing when we are traveling to same locations, at the same time...I was having the reverting to any applier changes, but not unless changes made in same session.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It does. Favorite landmarks & their availability from the login screen are actually a LL feature.

Okay - I took a quick look before I replied and couldn't find the option - but it was a very quick look. :)

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:
  • As previously indicated in my updates, the root cause of the issue is a race condition / timing issue – something that could be exacerbated by the distance of a user from the Lab’s servers (the grater the distance = the more time required for communications = the greater the chance of a timing issue / race condition).
  • Similarly, a high packet loss between viewer and simulator(s) might increase the chances of a disconnect occurring.
  • The problem remains in trying to identify precisely what has changed to cause any race condition / timing issue.

And yet, neither of those things have occurred or are occurring when I'm logged out on TP. I'm in Oregon so I'm not that far away and I do not have any meaningful packet loss. Nothing out of the ordinary, which is slim to none.

One thing they do have correct. It is something occurring or not occurring during handoff.

And no, I am not on the lastest release of FS (still on 5.1.7) since I don't currently have any use for animesh.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

I see the following pattern.

Sometimes the 1st TP after login hangs. I don't bother with waiting - I immediately kill the viewer task - login again - and teleport without problems. This TP and the following TP's (tried up to 25) all work. So it's just a minor annoyance for me especially since the teleport success rate never reached 100%.

Once I waited longer (too long for my patience level to do it again) b4 I killed the task and I ended at the TP target location on next login.

However, I'm in europe and every american should have a lower ping so I doubt that this has anything to do with the ping. I always have zero packet loss though so can't say if that makes a difference.
Another observation is that there is no waiting time when i kill the viewer and immediately log in again. I'd expect the "you are still logged in ... please wait 5 mins" message. Since that doesn't happen SL obviously logged me out instead of teleporting me.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And yet, neither of those things have occurred or are occurring when I'm logged out on TP. I'm in Oregon so I'm not that far away and I do not have any meaningful packet loss. Nothing out of the ordinary, which is slim to none.

watched my statistics a bit today too, from the Netherlands, ping sim time average between 140 and 160 ( as i can see nothing worse than usual, even better since last years , 200+ wasn't rare in the past ), no packet loss, and still disconnecting several times during tp's.

FS 6.0.2

Not sure there are connections between the tp' fail, regions crossing, skies falling ;)  and MP issues... but all together it's having impact at a lot of players.... = bad for business in longer term.

My understanding is that the servers are in the Phoenix area, so about a single day's drive for me - i.e. not physically far at all.  When the problem first started, it was hitting me about 20-25% of the time.  Then it jumped up to 40-50% of the time.  Then I went ahead and bumped my Network Bandwidth setting up higher than the recommended max value (based on a post in another thread and the fact that I do have a really fast internet connection since I pay for faster speeds due to working from home a lot).  Anyway, I do still get the occasional TP disconnect, but the rate is now down to less than 5% of the time.

28 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

Sometimes the 1st TP after login hangs.

I get this too, except if I wait long enough the viewer crashes rather than force it  (which I do when impatient) After that first instance and I log back in, TPs for the rest of the day are fine.

Hi... What I have done ...and so far it's working... is to use a different DNS Server address. Not  "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically"  but  "Use The Following DNS Server Address". Maybe try the Google Public DNS address and see if it works for you.  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   I'm not sure but I think the problem has something to do with being able to look up the new address of the place you are going to TP to.  (Google Something like..."How to set a new DNS server address" for some tips on how to do it.)  Well for me, so far so good...

• Like 1

additional infos:

I'm on the newest FS and have that TP Problems very rare.

It doesn't look like a DNS problem - but if someone wants to experiment here are open DNS Servers:

Cloudflare + APNIC
1.1.1.1    /  2606:4700:4700::1111
1.0.0.1    /  2606:4700:4700::1001

Quad9 (Global Cyber Alliance)
9.9.9.9    /  2620:fe::fe
9.9.9.10  /  2620:fe::10

Google
8.8.8.8    /  2001:4860:4860::8888
8.8.4.4    /  2001:4860:4860::8844

If someone changes something and it works after that change - that is NOT a solution! Most time it's just coincidence. Just saying 😜

Hi again...Well maybe I should make this a bit more clear. I don't think this is a "DNS Problem" per-say but rather a problem with the "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically"  operation and Second Life Teleports and Boundary crossings. In the LL blog post " Darn Teleport Disconnects" they wrote  "(it seems to be a timing-sensitive failure in the hand-off between one simulator and the next)." I think it's possible that using  "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" can create a "timing-sensitive failure" and that using your own, set, DNS servers is more direct, faster and timing-sensitive.

A bit of history...

In the past I was using a slow WIFI connection and would often be disconnected trying to Teleport. (Exactly what is going on now.) I thought that maybe using different, fixed DNS servers ( "Use The Following DNS Server Address" )  might speed up my internet a bit, in general. I wasn't even thinking about Teleport Disconnects at the time, or trying to fix it.  I just wanted a little quicker Internet. Well... I then started to notice that I was never being disconnected trying to TP. Well this is interesting, so I went back to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and the Teleport Disconnects came back...Just like before. So, I return to using "Use The Following DNS Server Address", and again, never being disconnected trying to Teleport.

Fast Forward (Teleport) to today...

I have recently gotten a Fiber Optic internet connection (1000mbps... OH thank God!... lol) And thinking that with this new high speed, super fast connection, I shouldn't have any problems what so ever. So... I changed it back to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and guess what started to happen?.... Yep, I was getting disconnected trying to Teleport, just like everybody else...Just the same way in the past. So...I returned to "Use The Following DNS Server Address" and guess what?... Yep, I haven't been disconnected Teleporting yet....Just like in the past...Just Saying  😜

So... once again, I don't think this is a "DNS Problem" per-say but rather a problem with the "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically"  operation and Second Life Teleports and Boundary crossings.

What I use to get open, fast and reliable DNS servers is a neat free program called DNSBench    https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

• Like 1

Danraka,

I had my router set for Google DNS's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and was disconnecting every other TP last night.  It comes and goes here, so hard to pin down. And like many on the US West Coast, I have fiber FIOS right to my local router, and a very solid broadband connection with Frontier. 

Anyway, I changed to OPENDNS LLC servers, since they were the fastest of Steve Gibson's benchmark.  Will see if it makes a difference over next few days.  So far no failures, which means nothing yet as I get the disconnects usually more often later in the evening, or early morning here.

I did notice one of the Google DNS IPs had an error listed during the benchmark test, and I was getting connect failures to the secondlife.com site earlier today - when on Google DNS.

• Thanks 1

Changing DNS servers has made no difference over time.  Still getting disconnects on TPing, quite randomly.  One thing I have noticed, when I try to TP and it fails and I am logged off, then I go back to the same sim (Home for example) and try again, it fails again, and again.  Only if I TP to somewhere else but the sim it failed, and then try, does it work.  After that it works with all sims again, until if fails.  Rinse and repeat.  Sim itself makes no difference  - TP's have failed from empty sims, and overloaded sims, mainland or private islands, etc.  Then it works for the next 2, 10, 20, x(fill in random number under 50) TP's before I get another failed TP.  No pattern at all - but it is not getting better!  And given this has been going on for 2 weeks, I don't think LL still has a clue how to fix it.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I tp-crashed 6-8 times an hour and after upping my bandwith completely in the viewer settings, I had not 1 single crash for 4 days. I even opened 2 viewers where the bandwith of one was low and the other one was high, and I didn't crash in the high one but did crash on the low one. Then LL started messing with it and now I'm crashing at a rate of up to 20 times an hour. It's even worse now :-(. Just posting this as info to anyone who can use it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.