I would get a premium membership if __________ (not land or L$)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even if you don't own any land, if you are Premium and your membership comes up for renewal but the payment method fails, then after a month (or 2 or 3), your account can get locked until you pay up.

Notice Oz Linden's response ( and Keira's) to this question just last week in https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/434453-premium-membership/?tab=comments#comment-1874002

On 3/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, moirakathleen said:

If, for someone reason you remove your payment info, or LL is not able to successfully bill it when your premium term expires, there could be a situation where you are not able to login inworld until you have brought your account back into good standing.  

This is true only after a fairly long grace period (during which Billing will be reaching out to you to get it corrected). It does not happen automatically when a payment fails.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

This is true only after a fairly long grace period (during which Billing will be reaching out to you to get it corrected). It does not happen automatically when a payment fails.

It actually happened to my friend just last month.  His father passed recently and he was away for about 6 weeks, during that period his yearly premium failed. He swears he had no emails from LL but when he was ready to log in again his account was locked.  I could pinpoint it to mid Feb when I started paying all our group fees and his name disappeared as a group owner.  He filed a support ticket and within 5 days or so he was able to pay his premium and reinstated.

• Thanks 1

Even if there was no risk, there is no value in Premium for me. I have more land than I need. I don’t need more groups, I don’t care about getting into events, don’t want any gifts, etc. I get Concierge support. 

The only value I can think of is having access to three months of transaction records, but I download those monthly. 

I would love it if there were a premium only area. a nice place to sail, to fly etc.. a few premium only parks that are perhaps a bit exclusive and always kept up to date with the latest servers etc to reduce lag.

I know there are some premium only areas but  i mean LARGE areas. Several regions combined

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Even if there was no risk, there is no value in Premium for me.

I can see that.

Posting in this thread (and elsewhere) Rolig and I (and others) have been mentioning the very substantial extra ("KVP") memory available with Experiences, a thing that can be owned only with Premium membership, although others can certainly use and develop those Experiences. Stepping back and looking at the business value here, it's kind of chicken-and-egg: I suspect that normal users have no way of appreciating what this could do for them because nobody has developed the applications for which they could use it. And nobody develops those applications because nobody is asking for them, because they have no idea they're possible. A vicious circle, and it's not obvious how to break out of it.

I don't know what's to be done about this, but there's untapped commercial opportunity here for somebody who figures it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Stepping back and looking at the business value here, it's kind of chicken-and-egg: I suspect that normal users have no way of appreciating what this could do for them because nobody has developed the applications for which they could use it. And nobody develops those applications because nobody is asking for them, because they have no idea they're possible.

For example, suppose that you have a dining table with built-in scripts that let a guest touch any object (say, a wine glass) and have it attach instantly attach to the person's hand and trigger an animation.  Without an experience, the script needs to ask the guest for PERMISSION_ATTACH, which can break the immersive feel of the dinner.  With an Experience, however, the guest is asked one time to accept the Experience.  After that, a script in the Experience can attach the wine glass without ever asking again.

Or .... suppose that a customer buys a scripted kitchen table that does all sorts of food prep tricks.  As the customer buys the table, you update a KVP record that keeps track of all of that customer's purchases.  Later, when the customer returns to buy a refrigerator, its vendor script checks the KVP database and says, "Aha! She bought the table.  We can offer a discount on the refrigerator, or maybe a this-month only free frying pan."  Or maybe you simply add a button on the table's dialog menu that the owner can click to see whether there is a Preferred Customer Offer this month.  Keeping records like that and checking them in the fly is a real pain usually, but not with KVP.

As you say, Experiences suggest ways to make some current processes less cumbersome ( or at least more transparent to the user ) and some ways to create remote processes that are not currently possible at all.  Some of those can be done today, but only if the customer keeps returning to your store to do them.  Others can't be done at all unless the customer either has the scripts enabled in her own Experience or can access yours grid-wide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I can see that.

Posting in this thread (and elsewhere) Rolig and I (and others) have been mentioning the very substantial extra ("KVP") memory available with Experiences, a thing that can be owned only with Premium membership, although others can certainly use and develop those Experiences. Stepping back and looking at the business value here, it's kind of chicken-and-egg: I suspect that normal users have no way of appreciating what this could do for them because nobody has developed the applications for which they could use it. And nobody develops those applications because nobody is asking for them, because they have no idea they're possible. A vicious circle, and it's not obvious how to break out of it.

I don't know what's to be done about this, but there's untapped commercial opportunity here for somebody who figures it out.

Experiences are currently not a third party product friendly environment. An end-user currently has to re-compile scripts with their own experience if they want products to use their own experience. This requires mod products, mod scripts and/or script injection.

This proposal was to allow llSetExperienceKey() to be repurposed to allow end users to "set" third party products to use their experience without having to recompile scripts. Granted, there are trust issues, but no more severe than say, third party prim return applications, land moderation applications or group member invite/eject services.

llSetExperienceKey() was only used with the first Linden Realms experience and has since been deprecated.

• Thanks 1

I just want them to hurry up and release the new packages already. I dont see any point in paying my years premium until I know what the packages are going to be, will current premium subscriptions be converted or have to run out etc etc. I might be able to get a package that suits me for less than what I would pay now..maybe..

Well one would EXPECT that there would be some kind of upgrade option, but since we haven't really heard much about the new premium levels (along with many other things that were mentioned over a year ago) it is difficult to say when or IF this is actually going to happen.  There are plenty of things on the "roadmap" that fall off into the dumpster over time -- or get put so far back on the bookshelf they   ....   

I think most folks are just paying their regular premiums if it is a yearly thing and not worrying about it. 

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Notice Oz Linden's response ( and Keira's) to this question just last week in https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/434453-premium-membership/?tab=comments#comment-1874002

Kiera's comment mentions a 30 days and Oz says "a fairly long grace period".  To me, 'fairly long' could imply many months, though I'm sure they won't let you go "many months" -- even though in my comment above did say "after a month (or 2 or 3)"

If my memory holds correctly, I believe it was 6-8 weeks after my mother's premium should have renewed when her account got locked (that was probably 7-8 years ago).  The card on her account had expired and she didn't notice the email, which had ended up in her spam folder.

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It actually happened to my friend just last month.  His father passed recently and he was away for about 6 weeks, during that period his yearly premium failed. He swears he had no emails from LL but when he was ready to log in again his account was locked.  I could pinpoint it to mid Feb when I started paying all our group fees and his name disappeared as a group owner.  He filed a support ticket and within 5 days or so he was able to pay his premium and reinstated.

When it happened to my mom, she had been winding her inworld time down anyway and thinking about leaving.  Her husband didn't want to pay the Premium anymore, so she decided not to pursue getting her account unlocked.  Her tier disappeared from my group in either the 2nd or 3rd month after the Premium was due for renewal, but her actual account didn't disappear entirely for another 6 months or so, maybe a bit longer even.

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I just want them to hurry up and release the new packages already. I dont see any point in paying my years premium until I know what the packages are going to be, will current premium subscriptions be converted or have to run out etc etc. I might be able to get a package that suits me for less than what I would pay now..maybe..

What Chic said.  Given the current status (or non-status) of things like the Last Names, I don't think I'd hold any part of my SL hostage to what might come in a month or many months or even next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When it happened to my mom, she had been winding her inworld time down anyway and thinking about leaving.  Her husband didn't want to pay the Premium anymore, so she decided not to pursue getting her account unlocked.  Her tier disappeared from my group in either the 2nd or 3rd month after the Premium was due for renewal, but her actual account didn't disappear entirely for another 6 months or so, maybe a bit longer even.

He was still on my friends list and his profile viewable as usual but in the group he was completely gone though it said 2 owners only my name was there.

9 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I'm a little surprised they seem to be prepared to roll-out the new "SSP" Linden Homes without having all the new Premium levels defined. They would seem a natural incentive for paying-up for a service level at which they're available. I guess they'd still provide such an incentive after they're released and all the suckers proud new homeowners move in.

If they have broader plans they're holding them mighty close to the vest, but I'm not sensing that special Linden caginess that usually precedes a major new announcement.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Say whaaaat?  Logical fallacy is illogical.

Not necessarily. I would just as soon not have to leave my payment information on file, but rather charge on a yearly basis in a one time payment and be on my merry way, and slide the info back in the following year. 

• Like 1

I have two premiums. I just added a third because I want to be able to have two of the new Linden homes. So technically I guess it's additional land .. but not really because I don't just want more sqm .. I want two Linden homes. Though I could have still gotten two homes but then I'd have to pay tier on my store parcel .. which would just be stupid .. lol.

Most of the reasons I have had premium accounts since 2008 have been listed in prior posts, but one thing I've not seen mentioned much is Live Chat. I really, really find Live Chat to be hugely helpful. 

About the only thing that doesn't really impact my decision to go premium has been the gifts. It's only been very recently that any of the gifts have interested me. I did enjoy the Halloween gifts this past year.

Edited by Blush Bravin

18 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I see people keep asking for badges. We did actually used to have a status on our profiles that declared us as premium. The Lindens removed it for some reason, not sure why.

A farmer on a farm collective in Soviet Russia was given the outstanding achievement award by his collective for personally contributing more grain to the collective's harvest than anyone else. They had a big ceremony and gave him an important sounding medal and a nice plaque to hang on his wall.

He replied Comrade Supervisor, this is all very nice, and I appreciate it greatly, but could I just have a bag of grain to feed my family instead?

They all laughed and slapped him on the back and said, very good joke Comrade Farmer.

The next day he was shipped off to the Gulag.

Paraphrased from The Gulag Archipelago by Russian writer and historian Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. 

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm a little surprised they seem to be prepared to roll-out the new "SSP" Linden Homes without having all the new Premium levels defined. They would seem a natural incentive for paying-up for a service level at which they're available. I guess they'd still provide such an incentive after they're released and all the suckers proud new homeowners move in.

If they have broader plans they're holding them mighty close to the vest, but I'm not sensing that special Linden caginess that usually precedes a major new announcement.

I can't believe everyone is still drooling in anticipation over the new improved upgraded LL slums. It will be interesting to read the fallout after they open to the public.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
only one "still" is enough

25 minutes ago, norajulian said:

Not necessarily. I would just as soon not have to leave my payment information on file, but rather charge on a yearly basis in a one time payment and be on my merry way, and slide the info back in the following year. 

You actually don't **have** to leave the payment info on file, but you would definitely need to remember to re-add it before the yearly fee is charged again.

I have an alt that is currently Premium, but I plan to downgrade him.  His current Premium doesn't run out until mid July but I have already removed the payment info from his account -- and I have NOT yet actually requested the Downgrade.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You actually don't **have** to leave the payment info on file, but you would definitely need to remember to re-add it before the yearly fee is charged again.

I have an alt that is currently Premium, but I plan to downgrade him.  His current Premium doesn't run out until mid July but I have already removed the payment info from his account -- and I have NOT yet actually requested the Downgrade.

I have in fact done this the same time as going premium when I knew I was not going to renew. So within the space of 20 minutes or so I added payment info, paid premium, then removed payment information. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can't believe everyone is still drooling in anticipation over the new improved upgraded LL slums. It will be interesting to read the fallout after they open to the public.

Just to clarify, my "suckers" comment wasn't serious, and not intended against the new Linden Homes. I'm concerned about their script use, but I'm actually a little bit tempted by the houseboats. They look like a promising location to tie a fishin' boat to the dock.

I wouldn't want one instead of Mainland, but I already have a lot of Mainland.

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Perhaps reason caught up with them and they realized this:

On 3/30/2019 at 4:51 PM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Vice versa, there seems to be a subliminal tone of "you are less worthy if you aren't premium" in your posts.

People who pay premium to feel better than others (don't tell me those don't exist) will loose their incentive with stacked premiums...

The whole "top of the food chain" idea goes out of the window when you get reduced to "slightly bigger fish" by higher premium tier levels ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.