What fonts can you use in your name?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

Curious why you can't use cursive or the fancy fonts.

simple... because it's not supported.

btw did you know some people won't even see it? they only see blocks above your head when the font isn't installed on their machine, some even will mute or ignore you for a unreadable name.

also... asl Thorinll said.... why ... please keep it readable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThorinII said:

I'm curious: Why don't you want to use a more readable font?

When I can't read a fancy display name, I usually greet the person "wearing" it with "Hello unreadable". ?

You know "Cursive" is something a lot of people are taught in Grade school. I find this hard to believe you can't read that unless you're from a third world country.

Just now, Haselden said:

You know "Cursive" is something a lot of people are taught in Grade school. I find this hard to believe you can't read that unless you're from a third world country.

I can read a lot of fonts (even Kurrent) - but when a font is hardly recognizable within SL, or even shows as blocks, I simply "can't read" it. ?

4 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

btw did you know some people won't even see it? they only see blocks above your head when the font isn't installed on their machine, some even will mute or ignore you for a unreadable name.

This.

I don't know what you're trying to make your display name but viewing on my phone apart from the first two characters the rest are just blocks and that's all many will see inworld. if someone shows user/display names and they can't read your display name they'll refer to you as the name they can read. I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds fancy unicode irritating it can make it impossible to figure out what you're trying to call yourself 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Haselden said:

If I was one of "those kind" of people I'd call you a racist or a cultural supremacist or an elitist or something but I'm not so I won't. ?

• Like 2

When I see those fancy fonts, I tend to think it  is a person who isn't smart enough to be creative with the basic 26 letters, I  know it's probably racist or something for me to  think that,  but that's what I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

When I see those fancy fonts, I tend to think it  is a person who isn't smart enough to be creative with the basic 26 letters, I  know it's probably racist or something for me to  think that,  but that's what I think.

When I see them, I’m reminded of the Church Lady. 

E493EAA9-B3F3-4185-B546-A2218EF5057F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Haselden said:

There is a reason cursive is not used as the standart font for written, digitally constructed communication and that has nothing to do with people not being taught to write it in school. It takes more time to read it and depending on the kind of font and other factors, it can become more difficult, too, independed from the readers academic background.

Generally, using special fonts carries the idea with it, that the user thinks of himself/herself as "special" and deserving of others extra effort to read, spell or pronounce their "special" name. It also comes off as a fruitless attempt to appear unique, when in reality, there is absolutly nothing unique about that.

My personal pet peeve in that area is also the use of letters, that do not appear in the english language, but get used by the person as a replacement for such. Just comes off as ignorant.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

This.

I don't know what you're trying to make your display name but viewing on my phone apart from the first two characters the rest are just blocks and that's all many will see inworld. if someone shows user/display names and they can't read your display name they'll refer to you as the name they can read. I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds fancy unicode irritating it can make it impossible to figure out what you're trying to call yourself 

"that Gor dude" will do in his case ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Haselden said:

Having some issues choosing some good fonts. Curious why you can't use cursive or the fancy fonts.

ℜ☯? ????? sadly wont work.

Cursive (true cursive without pictures) is actually accepted, but will show as blocks to most people.

However, there is nothing 'cursive' about that 'O'.  It is a symbol and most symbols are as bad as odd fonts.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Haselden said:

Having some issues choosing some good fonts. Curious why you can't use cursive or the fancy fonts.

ℜ☯? ????? sadly wont work.

What you're talking about is symbols, not fonts.

What symbols are and aren't visible (shown as boxes or some other blank symbol) depends on the font each individual user's viewer is set to display. Different fonts cover a different amount of symbols, some are very limited (only covering Aa-Zz, 0-9, and punctuation) while others cover as many symbols as they can realistically fit into a font file.

You might think your proposed name doesn't work, but for some it'll be just fine. If you like it, use it. Just get used to that feeling the people around you are probably feeling.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Ok to be fair I always bashed the fancy fonts...but now have found myself with them as my SL sister has them and I have her last name lol. I might make it look regular later.

• Like 1

This how my name is currently: ღ ѕeren ғυrвall ღ  because I like hearts otherwise I think is simple and clear; plus I find easy to read and agreed some fancy fonts are too hard to read or are boxes so as host I have to either see if I can work out the name from their profile or their SL name. 

As for those who work as hosts or DJs; please make it easy to read so makes our job to easier to greet ya and if ya complain someone gets ya name wrong then honestly can only blame yourself for that and even regular uses as stated above it not easy to read!

On 11/10/2018 at 12:19 AM, Haselden said:

There is an age limit on that level of education. Many schools have stopped teaching cursive writing.

But, what a person is capable of reading isn't really the issue. What looks good on your computer may be unreadable on other computers e.g., Rhonda's example. So, to be inclusive use something readable by the majority of people. But, you can try to look cool-kid if you want.

It gets wors when youa ctually know the cahracters, I can read Latin, Cyrillic, Arameic quadratic scripture and Fuþork and know lots of Greek letters from math/physics... no what those folks write makes no sense at all... Double fun if it turns out a legit name in Cyrillic LOL

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.