Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 months later...

Linden Labs/Raider Linden.... When will you release the EEP code for the 3rd party viewer so all of us that use then will be able to get a "normal" day cycle?? As the EEP code are on the servers it screw up the normal day cycle for EVERYONE on non-eep viewers that don't resolve to wind light all the time. It's been 1 year more or less since you messed up the SL sun by putting the EEP code on the servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

Linden Labs/Raider Linden.... When will you release the EEP code for the 3rd party viewer so all of us that use then will be able to get a "normal" day cycle??

Clearly it's the symptom of how screwed up that code still is, if it can't be released yet it means that the current issues are nothing in comparison to what would happen after official release. Most likely @NiranV Dean has a quite long and well reasoned list of issues that makes EEP unusable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

Well isn't that why they have the beta grid, for testing such things and new features. Would have been better if they had done the server code there...

Agreed

49 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

given people some lindens to go there and do some testing

LL?! Paying for testing?! They expect testing for free from us (see the content creation user group and similar) while underpaying their own developers, getting contractors (the moles) to do a HUGE amount of work for approximately 600 dollars monthly GROSS payment. 

24 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

EEP works fine and is very nice

Yeah so fine that it can't be added as a official release viewer feature yet. That it is nice, no question about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/29/2019 at 3:10 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Agreed

LL?! Paying for testing?! They expect testing for free from us (see the content creation user group and similar) while underpaying their own developers, getting contractors (the moles) to do a HUGE amount of work for approximately 600 dollars monthly GROSS payment.

So you say that all the bugs reported in this forum are their official "bug" reports... wow. I wonder how many beta testers they have on the viewer development if the pay is that bad, or is that also relying on helpful users that report problems on the jira?

I guess a last name of Mole or even Linden are payment good enough :D

38 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

So you say that all the bugs reported in this forum are their official "bug" reports

No, that's the Jira, and the beta testing is usually carried out by volunteers who participate to the Content Creation User Group, so it's basically free. They mainly rely on helpful users.

40 minutes ago, Linnrenate Crosby said:

I guess a last name of Mole or even Linden are payment good enough

I don't know about the latter, but the former, the Moles, get a miserable 600 USD gross (so taxes need to apply afterwards) for all the work they do, and they're hired amongst the residents.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, Linnrenate Crosby said:

Linden Labs/Raider Linden.... When will you release the EEP code for the 3rd party viewer so all of us that use then will be able to get a "normal" day cycle?? As the EEP code are on the servers it screw up the normal day cycle for EVERYONE on non-eep viewers that don't resolve to wind light all the time. It's been 1 year more or less since you messed up the SL sun by putting the EEP code on the servers.

Since nearly 1 Year we have realistic 24-hour cycles in our two regions and use the old, but still working Beta from Firestorm as well as the current Lindenviewer. Amazingly, the outdated version of Firestorm delivers better results than the latest from Linden Labs. I think Firestorm should launch a new public useable beta based on this, which also includes the latest other features such as bakes on mesh etc. . It is really time to give people something to approach EEP with and with all the convenience that Firestorm offers.

The main problem I see is that Linden as well as all others are still too busy trying to please users who try to use the latest standards with pre-flood 32bit Stone Age computers. Graphics cards like a 2GB Ram 450GTX and similar weak onboard cards have been outdated for ages and can be seen as museum artifacts.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Several builds back I'd log on to EEP and gradually after a while, something about the colors and shadow would annoy me enouhg I'd switch back.

Now I only switch back because I need to use a feature that's only on another viewer.

I was going to say I lack any huge complaints, but then I put on an avatar that made heavy use of emmissive masked textures and thought I had accidentally set the coloring of the textures to a dark grey, I mean everything looked dark.

Upon investigation I found that the emissive masking was the culprit and any texture using emissive masking comes up real dark for the non-glowy pixels.

So I filed a JIRA:  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-228172

Also I poked about this way back in early development and said this was all rather WIP at the time:  The floater for setting the sun/moon position.  Could you please insert some boxes for numeric entry of the sun/moon positions so we can fine tune position.  The Current tools for that work alright for course positioning but if you want some rather fine tuned sun/moon position it can get a little clunky.

Edited by Bellimora
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bellimora said:

The floater for setting the sun/moon position.  Could you please insert some boxes for numeric entry of the sun/moon positions so we can fine tune position.  The Current tools for that work alright for course positioning but if you want some rather fine tuned sun/moon position it can get a little clunky.

Since the sun is not always in the same position, but the position of the sun changes slightly every day, e.g. at the height of the sun above the horizon it is easier to change the position as it is now and to estimate the grading approximately. The position of the sun also varies e.g. Midday by + - about 20 minutes to longitude.

• Haha 1

@OptimoMaximo : Nice that you find it laughable but I understood it so that it is about the state of the sun at a certain time of day and it changes from day to day from the horizontal as well as from the vertical level. The actual peak of the sun also changes by a few minutes depending on the date. See https://www.suncalc.org/#/47.5554,13.5135,15/2020.02.11/17:18/1/2 . You can only adjust this manually to show the actual status. So save yourself your laughter and inform yourself about the facts.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Haha 1

downloaded and installed the EEP  6.4.0.536347 (64bit)

is pretty cool how the view transitions when switch between the default Sunrise,  Midday, Sunset and Midnight settings

also cool is being able to change the flow direction of the Linden water

i like

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

downloaded and installed the EEP  6.4.0.536347 (64bit)

is pretty cool how the view transitions when switch between the default Sunrise,  Midday, Sunset and Midnight settings

also cool is being able to change the flow direction of the Linden water

i like

Neither of these features are new.

Both the daycycle and the the flow of water direction (as well as the cloud move direction) can be changed in Windlights since Windlight was introduced ~13 years ago. Quite sad you didn't see that yet.

Daycycles were also smoother back then, they animated smoothly constantly rather than in steps. Not sure why that was changed but it could be fixed easily without EEP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NiranV Dean said:

Neither of these features are new.

Both the daycycle and the the flow of water direction (as well as the cloud move direction) can be changed in Windlights since Windlight was introduced ~13 years ago. Quite sad you didn't see that yet.

Daycycles were also smoother back then, they animated smoothly constantly rather than in steps. Not sure why that was changed but it could be fixed easily without EEP.

creating windlights and now eeps is not something that I have ever really done. Have always been happy enough with what comes in the box. Stick it on Midday when building and on Sunset when chilling on my parcel

what I meant was that on Windlight when change from default Midday to Sunset it just snaps to the new setting.  With EEP the sun moves incrementally across the sky to the new position, which with shadows on looks pretty cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

creating windlights and now eeps is not something that I have ever really done. Have always been happy enough with what comes in the box. Stick it on Midday when building and on Sunset when chilling on my parcel

what I meant was that on Windlight when change from default Midday to Sunset it just snaps to the new setting.  With EEP the sun moves incrementally across the sky to the new position, which with shadows on looks pretty cool

Animating between windlights has been a thing for many years too. Just wasnt part of the official Viewer even though the feature has been sitting there all the time.

Around May of 2019 the servers on the main grid began to support EEP but the none of the controls and much of the appearance still depends on using a Linden EEP Alpha viewer. Most residents have to put up with the effects of an EEP server and a not-EEP viewer. Can we think that maybe a year is enough time to produce a default EEP Linden viewer and one that the third party viewer folks can implement?  Might one become available by May of 2020?

• Thanks 4

It's really annoying, running current Firestorm 6.3.2 on an EEP sim. The day/night cycle is off. Sometimes, after entering the sim via TP, the only light source is direct light from the sun, with no diffuse light. Changing from "estate time" to something else and back will get reasonable lighting.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Any ETA for when EEP will become the main viewer?

As of the last Content Creation Group meeting I made it to (which was either this past one or the one before it) no ETA yet. But one of the new Lindens working on it did say they'd whittled down the bug list. Hopefully we'll get an ETA soon.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.