Second Life's Alright For Fighting!

wolfshanty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was playing GTA 5 on the weekend and suddenly realised - SL would be SO much better if there was an option to have a fight, in-world.

I know you have brash attacks but they're all a bit lame and don't work on some sims.

As things stand now:

PERSON A: You just insulted my wife.

PERSON B: I think her Freebie Island ballgown's insult enough.

PERSON A: (PMs club owner to get PERSON B banned)...

Which is cowardly - would be much better if they could step outside and have a fight and beat each other up. Can't LL work this into SL as an option? They could make it so you don't get punched/kicked if you mute the other person (also cowardly, but OK if you are an old lady being griefed, etc)

• Haha 8
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, wolfshanty said:

I was playing GTA 5 on the weekend and suddenly realised - SL would be SO much better if there was an option to have a fight, in-world.

I know you have brash attacks but they're all a bit lame and don't work on some sims.

As things stand now:

PERSON A: You just insulted my wife.

PERSON B: I think her Freebie Island ballgown's insult enough.

PERSON A: (PMs club owner to get PERSON B banned)...

Which is cowardly - would be much better if they could step outside and have a fight and beat each other up. Can't LL work this into SL as an option? They could make it so you don't get punched/kicked if you mute the other person (also cowardly, but OK if you are an old lady being griefed, etc)

Thank you for volunteering for the new "pre incident ban" campaign at clubs which's owners read the forums ;)

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, wolfshanty said:

Can't LL work this into SL as an option? They could make it so you don't get punched/kicked if you mute the other person (also cowardly, but OK if you are an old lady being griefed, etc)

The combat systems that already exist in SL were built by residents. If you want a hand-to-hand fight system, build it yourself. BTW, try it on land I control & I'll be happy to ban you in a cowardly manner.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

As it stands now: 

- some people take offense too quickly about things

- some people who are offended seem to think the one who offended them needs to be punished somehow for it

- some people think it's fine to be physically violet with others and 'beat them up' for some minor or imagined offense.

In my opinion, none of the above are behaviors that should be encouraged or condoned.  As I explain to my little grandsons often, there are almost always better methods for settling disagreements or hurts than violence towards another person.  

If you do build a hand-to-hand combat system though, be sure to post something in the Games sub-forum - that way those of us who do not like violence as a way to settle differences know which places to avoid.

• Like 3

The demon group  I belonged to used to have what were called snuff events.

Life was enabled and we ran around the sim killing each other with rifles.

No damage or health meters, just one shot one kill. It was quite exciting, especially seeing those tracers coming towards you as ran  for cover.

Occasionally, someone would try flying, big mistake.

We'd tally our kills after an hour or so and have a party afterwards.

I'm all for as much player interaction as possible. Fighting people. Carrying people. Pushing people down stairs. Grabbing someone by the arm. It's kind of boring just standing around most of the time. If a huge amount of inter-avatar actions could be done without actually turning SL into a festival of grief i think we'd have a much more realistic and interesting virtual world. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm all for as much player interaction as possible. Fighting people. Carrying people. Pushing people down stairs. Grabbing someone by the arm. It's kind of boring just standing around most of the time. If a huge amount of inter-avatar actions could be done without actually turning SL into a festival of grief i think we'd have a much more realistic and interesting virtual world. 

So go to a combat sim, where damage and pushing are enabled. Get a gansta bat and have some fun with it.

Unfortunately, the physics model is way too simple to allow unscripted grabbing or carrying. Avatars can push each other, but you can't really knock an avatar down. There are scripted boxing rings where it looks like you can, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellestones said:

SL club bouncers are like RL bouncers. Ask the patrons nicely to behave. If not then chuck them out. Many SL club bouncers prefer Eject rather than Ban - as is more fun

Of course, if every other parcel has banned the griefer they end up bouncing from one to another very fast, which isn't funny at all. ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I'm pretty sure I've got a mud wrestling pit somewhere in my inventory, if that would help.

I have one of those too, somewhere!!

It was great fun once upon a time, I don't think we've taken out in at least 9 years now, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Of course, if every other parcel has banned the griefer they end up bouncing from one to another very fast, which isn't funny at all. ?

What is super funny is ejecting, then banning someone (deserving, of course) and watching them get dropped to the trash pit, aka o,o,o on a sim, and then getting stuck there ? 

Some people just tp out real quick once they realize. Others, however, may get stuck in that corner, and watching them try to get back in is friggen hilarious. It can also, incidentally, get them so stuck they can't tp out either...which is beyond hilarious (ok, prob just me on that one, lol). In those cases, they usually have to log off to fix it. Some don't realize they need to change the login location, so they login back in the same situation. 

It's the little things that amuse me the most sometimes :D

ETA:I just realized I typed that backwards lmao, ban and then eject, that's how they get stuck . You know, for research purposes, of course. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 3

Sl needs the ability to fight each other anywhere like people need a second anus in the middle of there foreheads. It would be seized on by griefers and the perennially offended with glee and my prediction is that within a few months second life would be empty of all but them. Op do us all a favour write your suggestion on a large rock and beat yourself over the head with it till you either a) realise what a bad idea it is or b) manage to knock yourself unconscious

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not getting into the whole discussion about already existing combat systems, but let me quickly adress this part:

16 hours ago, wolfshanty said:

There can be nothing cowardly about this, as there is nothing brave about useing a virtual fighting system.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Not getting into the whole discussion about already existing combat systems, but let me quickly adress this part:

There can be nothing cowardly about this, as there is nothing brave about useing a virtual fighting system.

Nah, it is cowardly. ? What do you think impresses one's SL g/f more? "Hold on, I'm going to tell the sim owner this person was rude about you and hope he gets booted". Or - give 'em a smack in the gob and have a fight! fight! fight! This option could also save a lot of doomed SL relationships, where the woman realises her Gorean master is actually a tell-tale and dumps him for a furry instead.

I dunno, if people are worried about griefing, LL could make it so if you get knocked out, you get logged out for a few hours on 'hospital break'. That would keep a lid on casual violence IMO.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wolfshanty said:

Nah, it is cowardly. ? What do you think impresses one's SL g/f more? "Hold on, I'm going to tell the sim owner this person was rude about you and hope he gets booted". Or - give 'em a smack in the gob and have a fight! fight! fight! This option could also save a lot of doomed SL relationships, where the woman realises her Gorean master is actually a tell-tale and dumps him for a furry instead.

I dunno, if people are worried about griefing, LL could make it so if you get knocked out, you get logged out for a few hours on 'hospital break'. That would keep a lid on casual violence IMO.

If that impresses your sl Gf can you please keep her she sounds like a sad individual, you two make a perfect couple that way

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

Just curious, does this really happen at places?  and do sim owners generally 'boot' someone for that? 

probably not as I suspect the sim owner has sympathy for anyone dealing with this in duh vidual

This kinda takes it for granted that the rest of SL is here to live-action-Roleplay the static we have to deal with in Real Life.

Unless we’re in a Roleplay sim, I consider myself a Resident of Second Life - not a Player in a game.

Upside; there are many Roleplay sims where you can go pick as many fights as you want; so feel free to have-at it.....

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5ba1e6a04f5a544732

• Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 9:51 PM, animats said:

So go to a combat sim, where damage and pushing are enabled. Get a gansta bat and have some fun with it.

Unfortunately, the physics model is way too simple to allow unscripted grabbing or carrying. Avatars can push each other, but you can't really knock an avatar down. There are scripted boxing rings where it looks like you can, though.

You're right. Tilting at windmills. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.