SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I noticed a trend in naming new, unreleased regions - instead of just assigning a number like SSP2204, the regions now come already named, albeit with the SSP prefix. This is good thinking. I've made a number of rez zone landmarks in the Chalet regions when they were still numbered, then later I had to locate the SSP landmarks on the map and manually rename them with the new name. Now all I need to do is delete the prefix.

• Like 6

I had always imagined and assumed that a "Ranch House" theme would be a rural house that look like this (below), on a ranch. We don't have Ranch Houses in the UK and Europe. But we did get to watch "Dallas" !

5a611967f700cad

*several weeks later*

Today, by complete chance and accident, I discovered and learned that a "Ranch House" actually looks like these examples below!

1280px-HouseII2007.jpg

RamblerHouse.JPG

ranch-style-home-today-main-190820.jpg

Imagine my surprise! It seems a Ranch House is a low-lying single-storey home that was popular in the US during the 1950s. I was a bit shocked. Not exactly Southfork Ranch is it?!

Here in the UK (and Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, Bangladesh, Singapore, Malaysia etc...), a single storey house would always be called a Bungalow.

Conclusion: Ranch House = Bungalow ?!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

the "ranch style" houses you pictured are very common in suburban california. They are not at all limited to the 50s.. some new houses are built in that style. Since I am a California girl, I am very comfortable with this style house. However, since I recently got the mainland of my dreams, I would be very surprised if I went after a 2048 ranch house ... but I bet they will be nice when they come out.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I had always imagined and assumed that a "Ranch House" theme would be a rural house that look like this (below), on a ranch. We don't have Ranch Houses in the UK and Europe. But we did get to watch "Dallas" !

I'd originally assumed it meant a rural farmhouse type thing too, but a lot of the houses don't look the way I'd imagined from the theme name. The chalets aren't Swiss chalets. The Victorians are made of wood, rather than the brick ones I grew up around. All in all, it's best to assume nothing about how a theme will look until it's revealed.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

The ranch style developed out of the Prairie style pioneered by Frank Lloyd Wright, bungalow and Spanish colonial styles. Ranch style homes were popularized as suburbs were developed for returning solders after World War II. Architect Cliff May is credited with designing the first Ranch style home.

the Prairie School sought to create a new, democratic architecture, free from the shackles of European styles, and suited to a modern American way of living.

The first home I owned in California was a a post-WW2 one-story 3br 2bath attached garage open-plan L-shaped <1500sf home with front and back yards and a nice patio. Would make an excellent Linden Home.

• Like 4

There's at least one feature I like in a SL home that's less useful in a RL one - a 2nd floor (1st floor for the UK and Europe) balcony. As in RL, an upper floor provides a better view, but it also provides an extra couple minutes to deal with potential strangers wandering into one's SL home and a great spot to land when flying about outside.

I grew up in one of those types of "ranch houses" and would not want one in SL. Give me 2 stories in SL, so I can have more rooms and more yard, just as very sensible people do in countries that don't have as much open space to build on as California still has.

• Like 3

FINALLY!!!  Looks like they've started building out a set of tiles for a new theme. 

SSP4000.JPG.6b43084cb320496855221b979f078869.JPG

Coincidentally, the also black-clad SSPBIS has someone in it.  Wild speculation: Patch is inworld ... maybe taking a new hint pic?

SSPBIS.JPG.8483acee6251fe0fc414603a06f4204e.JPG

LOL!  Desperate times evoke desperate guesses!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 1/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, Polenth Yue said:

Black was the newbrooke colour, so it could also be they're working on whatever is going in the void there.

Very likely.  The void is completely surrounded by Newbrookes, and many Newbrooke roads look like they will extend into it.  Incidentally, the rail loop through Newbrooke runs all along the southern edge of the void, taking a turn south at SSPLakota Prairie.  There's a station in Drama Llama, from whence the rail runs directly to Allrutti and on to the Newbrooke west coast, turning south there to hook up to the Chalet line in Hydrant. 

2048 Newbrookes would kinda make sense, that theme has some very wide models. Ho hum.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 5

On 1/24/2023 at 4:12 AM, Madonna666 said:

The river between SSPWhatsUp Doc and  Pierless is complete. Just took a boat through it. Very nice. 

The “river” has been complete since at least Jan 12. Houseboats still under construction.

Pedantically speaking, “shallow channel” or “canal” might be a better term as there is no change in elevation nor does this water feature drain an area of land. Another more appropriate term is “waterway”.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:47 AM, diamond Marchant said:

The “river” has been complete since at least Jan 12. Houseboats still under construction.

Pedantically speaking, “shallow channel” or “canal” might be a better term as there is no change in elevation nor does this water feature drain an area of land. Another more appropriate term is “waterway”.

I am a simple man, apologies ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

The new Black theme up in the SSP zone has been expanded to 16 regions.  Note that, in this configuration, the 15 regions that are sequentially numbered would fit perfectly into the lower part of the void interior of the Newbrooke subcontinent.

1184662217_NewNoir.JPG.efbbc98b378114cce00f616a81e60f29.JPG

Wow, there are a bunch of HUGE colored development areas up near the New Noirs!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Wow, there are a bunch of HUGE colored development areas up near the New Noirs!!

Most of them are map ghosts from previous work. When you're zoomed in enough to see region names, but they don't have a name, there isn't really a region there. The only other big chunk remaining is the pink one, which is sakura.

There are also some odd regions that are most likely things like community regions, but I'm not seeing any new action on those.

The new black bit is recent though and it seems even more likely it's a void fill given the Victorian one has begun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Most of them are map ghosts from previous work. When you're zoomed in enough to see region names, but they don't have a name, there isn't really a region there. The only other big chunk remaining is the pink one, which is sakura.

There are also some odd regions that are most likely things like community regions, but I'm not seeing any new action on those.

The new black bit is recent though and it seems even more likely it's a void fill given the Victorian one has begun.

Sigh, I should have thought of that.  Thanks!  😒

So, it looks like a Victorian themed island is shaping up. It would make sense to extend it north to the southern shore of Vic "mainland", leaving enough room for a navigable channel along the southern coast. But then it would also make sense to make a five-region long open water segment extending east to Dannielles (just south of Rigamarole). I can see an above-water bridge linking the Victorian island to the rest of the Vic mainland. And what about an underwater tunnel to the Fantasy subcontinent?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SanFroggy said:

And what about an underwater tunnel to the Fantasy subcontinent?

Well, that I doubt.  Because Fantasseria is not just another Belli place to go ... it is a land apart, reachable only through a portal that is a bit dangerous to traverse ... right?  It is, as Diamond put it in another thread, a Lost Land - but purposely so.  Think about it, it is DIFFERENT from the rest of Belli.  It's road and canal networks are nearly impassible because they are "a maze of twisty little passages, all alike".  It is seasonal.  It has its own alphabet.  It has a touch of horror.  It frigging GLOWS.  

I would bet you anything that on some LL laptop there is a presentation with a totally different set of proposed home designs for Fantasseria - more fantastical homes - that were decided against for, doubtless, compelling reasons.  In my view, the Fantasseria homes are the only thing about the place that is like the rest of Belli.  The rest of it is completely unique, and to me, amazing.  Personally, I would prefer if the Rigamarole Passage remains Fantasseria's only link to Belli.

(and I would REALLY like it if a few of those alternative designs saw the light of day)

• Like 4