SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I'm from the UK and this is the first time I've ever heard the term "floathome". The houseboats that I've stayed in looked more like the ones they made for the Linden Homes. When it's a boat that has been turned into a building, I'd call it a boat house. When it's a boat that can still be used as a boat and you live in it, that's just a boat.

That aside, every theme is a specific sort of house that could be described by the name. If they did another sort of house that could be described by the same name, it'd be a new theme. They're kind of busy with another theme build right now.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:42 PM, Evangeline Arcadia said:

They've had demo reveals in  events before, so I was really hoping we'd have one at SL20B. But after the Newbrooke debacle sadly I think I have to agree they might do that again:(

I think Patch got what I meant, but to be clear, I was talking about reveals where they don't have everything ready. For a complete reveal, they'd need the house (with options ready to show), the landscaping and the region layout all done. It's not enough to just have the house.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

These new "houseboats" are still not what actual houseboats are in the UK or wider Europe.

The same could be said about the caravans or rather camper as LL chooses to call them. I live within half a mile of 4 caravan parks what LL offers isn't like what I see locally as a caravan. Am I narked about it? No, I accept that's how LL have chosen to present them. 

As for the houseboats the newer styles are closer to what I see on converted boats on the coast where I live just without the unappealing for Bellisseria ramshackle cobbled together looking appearance 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

And, despite the success of that search term, all of those articles actually refer to "floating homes". Granted, a minor point, but given my former addiction to house & garden type magazines and my longstanding addiction to the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph supplements, I have never actually seen the term "floathome" used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benchthis said:

Is cute idea though, the stilt boats look neat. Wonder what Sarah think about train homes? 

We have them too. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=train+homes+uk&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi4pYagmeT9AhUBrycCHTVCD1wQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=train+homes+uk&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFAAWABgAGgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=aAIVZLjRKIHensEPtYS94AU&bih=947&biw=1920&hl=en-GB

Ross%20Haxton%20-%20Mevy%20exterior%20wi

2984.jpg?width=1300&quality=85&dpr=1&s=n

heritage-carriage-long-view-1442x760.jpg

DSC_9113JPG.jpg

Or how about living in converted train station buildings too?!

Churchill-12.jpg?width=968

0_JRR_WOL_020323_CARROGRAILWAYSTATION_02

1704carriagehouseoutside.jpg?width=968

10598754-6772915-image-m-58_155178881390

And converted railway signal (and switch control) boxes!

DSC00547.jpg

61873.jpg?&vib=0&high=0&shad=0&sat=0&exp

17740454-7398729-Richard_and_Nikki_Curzo

4391964_5d0070dd.jpg

17740466-7398729-The_couple_who_both_use

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

When I was 5 the teacher read a story about couple kids either on the run or orphans? I can't remember the specifics but I remember the part where in the woods they found an abandoned train car, the kind with the large sliding doors on either side, and they fixed it up and made it home.

I like the converted train stations, those are cool. Nice photos! I've never seen one of those in US. When I was little lived in a school bus partially underground :) 

Cozy spaces are nice sometimes. One time in traditionals I had this plain parcel that was hard to make it mine so I took a little tiny yacht and made a little stilt for it and put it behind my home like boat storage. I loved hanging out in it, like a  fancy club house.

13 minutes ago, benchthis said:

When I was 5 the teacher read a story about couple kids either on the run or orphans? I can't remember the specifics but I remember the part where in the woods they found an abandoned train car, the kind with the large sliding doors on either side, and they fixed it up and made it home.

I like the converted train stations, those are cool. Nice photos! I've never seen one of those in US. When I was little lived in a school bus partially underground :)

Cozy spaces are nice sometimes. One time in traditionals I had this plain parcel that was hard to make it mine so I took a little tiny yacht and made a little stilt for it and put it behind my home like boat storage. I loved hanging out in it, like a  fancy club house.

7c8f0ba9e6040427768c44874bfdc2aa44cf83a3 i read this!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess "sinkhomes" wasn't a popular name.

I live near a river and I see barges a lot. The Linden Home House Boats are like House Barges (they look like float homes which works). Sarah those look like House Arks, with real life atmospheric rivers those would be ideal in rl. Maybe in the futures design updates they would consider adding more house boat shapes to their float house designs, something that was once a boat but converted into a home. Going to get complaints, my boat don't move. This game is stupid. Maybe that was one of the factors to not make them totally boat looking, but if they are on stilts might be way to overcome that objection. 

Edited by benchthis
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It would be awesome if they could rock and sway, at least (with the tides, etc.)!

You read my mind. I was thinking earlier maybe in the future they will be stilted on the beach and when the sl tide comes in they would raise and lower. 

I usually turn that off when I go boating. Not sure about the lag and then boat would move but furnishings would not, they'd have to have a way when placed velcro to surface. 

• Like 2

My personal opinion is that there's too much emphasis as to whether the home look like a 'real life' version according to the name . It's SL - things don't have to match RL exactly, there's room to be different and creative, that's one of the beautiful things about SL.  It's surprising how so often that's not embraced.

Not all the homes were my cup of tea - not because they didn't match RL but just my own taste and style preference. Despite that I still think LL have done a fantastic job with the new homes. Doesn't mean I don't want other features still lol - we always want more (more floor plans for the stilts please @Patch Linden 😁)

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Not all the homes were my cup of tea - not because they didn't match RL but just my own taste and style preference.

I instantly saw tea cup houses when I read this :) I think there's something wrong with me. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

😄Why not! It could be a theme...

Tea Time Solar Fairy Garden Kit - Away with the Fairies

We know they can update house designs and there's a lot of free space around. Maybe a theme that overlays all the themes. Quirky homes styles for theme. Fantasy would have tea cups, mounds, maybe trains and tree houses for log cabin area, stilt boats for stilt homes. Each these would have a quirky house style option gives totally random location of a quarky parcel. 

Not everyone will like to live in a quirky house but having those quirks around would make the world little cooler. 

It's exciting to see this project develope. Nothing wrong with using imaginations. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Perhaps those who have to point out that LL is not making homes the way they do in England could start their own British version of SL so they can make sure things are done quite properly. I doubt Patch and the moles would miss the not-so helpful commentary.

British style is pleasing. It's welcoming, friendly, humbly creative, and interesting. 

• Like 2

The shoreline Newbrooke/houseboat regions above the void (Catnap -> Admiralty Reef) have all been changed from SSPxxx to their final names. 

The homes are all still Protected Land, which I believe means that they can be claimed by PP members, but we peons who are merely Premium cannot yet claim them via the Land Page.  My personal favorite along this stretch (which I will not be claiming) is at:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Catnap/195/118/22

Nice views, decent privacy, with an auto rez zone that is adjacent to the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2