SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I was talking to a RL friend the other night -- also in SL but doesn't log in often (DID log in to see another RL friend's new houseboat LOL) and talking timeframe. Originally (Home Expo Talk I believe) Patch stated that the old Linden Homes would disappear sometime around the beginning of the year. This, seemingly based on what LL believed would be the popularity of the 1024 homes.  I don't see that timeline as being accurate any longer. There are a LOT of 512 homes, many occupied and not used much, but still occupied.  We hear on the forums of a few folks moving over from 512s but mostly it is folks with other lands or previously homeless that have gone Premium. 

So the folks that love their 512 homes can take heart that they will likely be able to stay longer. Presumably there will be a time when there aren't enough folks in the 512 regions to pencil out well, but with such a demand that may be a long while.  Not a bad thing.  

Ebbe said (NWN interview) -- awhile before the new homes came out -- that Premium membership was UP. Now it must be WAY up -- and of course that WAS THE PLAN, so the plan worked well. 

• Like 2

Hmmm interesting. Just had a look at SSP on the map and noticed an extension up in the north east corner sticking out eastwards. All the sims in that block are called SSPXT. Now, could that be an abreviation for SSP Extension? Going to east to..........? (Unless of course that new extension's been there all along and I've missed it concentrating on Pickle progress.)

Edited by BobbieEarhart
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

Hmmm interesting. Just had a look at SSP on the map and noticed an extension up in the north east corner sticking out eastwards. All the sims in that block are called SSPXT. Now, could that be an abreviation for SSP Extension? Going to east to..........? (Unless of course that new extension's been there all along and I've missed it concentrating on Pickle progress.)

Go back to April 18 in this thread and you will see some speculation about this area. :)

• Like 1

@Sylvia Tamalyn Thank you........Have just checked out the posts around 18th April and found a pic of the area taken at that time. I now see they've filled in what appeared to be a gap in the water sims in that area so perhaps more than just a staging area as suggested by @Fritigern Gothly.

Edited by BobbieEarhart
Looked at earlier posts and noted additional water sims added to SSPXT.
  • Like 2

looks like the next areas are being placed

image.png.32c4f58f8565ee05ab2ceb6725e4c6fe.png

SSP 217,233,246,262,295 and 311. 

They seem to be an exact match for SSP151 which on Bellisseria is Princess Caroline region. My guess is they have some regions they will duplicate and mix up a bit enough that it does not look cookie cutter. That should make for a quicker deployment of new areas. 

Beach areas will require customization so those will take a bit longer but may as well build on what ya have already for interior regions.

Edited by Heathernorton
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Heathernorton said:

looks like the next areas are being placed

image.png.32c4f58f8565ee05ab2ceb6725e4c6fe.png

SSP 217,233,246,262,295 and 311. 

They seem to be an exact match for SSP151 which on Bellisseria is Princess Caroline region. My guess is they have some regions they will duplicate and mix up a bit enough that it does not look cookie cutter. That should make for a quicker deployment of new areas. 

Beach areas will require customization so those will take a bit longer but may as well build on what ya have already for interior regions.

I am seriously hoping they are going to copy/paste those regions a few times as seen here, because those regions(and San Jocoso) are my favorite regions and i'd love to live on their likeness. If luck would allow me to land on one, that is.

I hope they won't copy paste them too-too much. Even if they are the perfect regions, and they move the landscaping around, each region should still be somewhat unique. I think some basic copy-paste might even help somewhat, as far as keeping the road network uniform and making sense. No doubt they'll tweak once they're all in place. i'm not worried.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

I hope they won't copy paste them too-too much. Even if they are the perfect regions, and they move the landscaping around, each region should still be somewhat unique. I think some basic copy-paste might even help somewhat, as far as keeping the road network uniform and making sense. No doubt they'll tweak once they're all in place. i'm not worried.

Well we can't see the elevations all that much from the map, so likely it is a placement starting point (I am hoping as the regions they picked are not some of my favs :D). So moving the roads to compensate with the land and such would make them different automatically.  Hopefully there will be some more lovely but different community areas.   Those really DO let the regions have different characters. 

So kind of like picking out a template from Blogger (or Wordpress most likely) and then moving things around a bit and changing colors and such. Even using different trees would make them different. So likely a good workflow idea. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 5

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

Well we can't see the elevations all that much from the map, so likely it is a placement starting point (I am hoping as the regions they picked and not some of my favs :D). So moving the roads to compensate with the land and such would make them different automatically.  Hopefully there will be some more lovely but different community areas.   Those really DO let the regions have different characters. 

So kind of like picking out a template from Blogger (or Wordpress most likely) and then moving things around a bit and changing colors and such. Even using different trees would make them different. So likely a good workflow idea. 

💯 Just as long as you can pass the same region twice several times before you go "OH... this is just a copy."I feel like it is quite a damper when it feels like a procedural. But I feel like they learned that between the old linden homes and now. 

• Like 2

it's a good starting point anyway, this might be how they are going to fulfill what Patch said "as time goes on we will get more out, and hopefully faster.". I'm certain there will have to be adjustments but if a few of these templates are sprinkled in, it could really speed up the process for the next release

Been away for a while, so I've missed the updates.

Just logged into SL, looked at the map and seen the bunch of new "houseboats" (which don't float) "floating" off the east coast of Bellisseria. O.o

One question. WHY ON EARTH HAVE YOU PUT THEM ALL SPECIFICALLY THERE??!

Bellisseria looks so tacky, cheap and amateurish and because of its proximity, is affecting the look and feel of the historic Sansara continent in a very negative way. >:(

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5

26 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Just logged into SL, looked at the map and seen the bunch of new "houseboats" (which don't float) "floating" off the east coast of Bellisseria. O.o

Bellisseria looks so tacky, cheap and amateurish and because of its proximity, is affecting the look and feel of the Sansara continent in a very negative way. >:(

It's placement is likely a marketing move. Put it where people will see it, they'll visit it, see how nice it is.. then wonder, and learn just how to get a place there(premium membership). Brings in $$$ for LL. So far it's been working.

Edited by s2Pandora
in, not is
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

You wouldn't build a McDonalds beside Stonehenge.  Same analogy.

Have you actually visited the new houseboat area? Or are you complaining based solely on peering at the map? 

It's done very well, with lots of nice landscaping, beachy stuff, etc. but you have to actually VISIT it to know that. 

• Like 3

Yes. I have visited the houseboats which don't even look like houseboats. They don't behave like houseboats either, they don't even FLOAT or MOVE like a real houseboat.

Clue is in the name. HOUSE. BOAT.  They are supposed to float and move on water.  LL, you have built pontoons and piers, not houseboats !

EDIT: These LL things are not  houseboats. They are Float Houses, houses built on top of flat bottomed rafts, particularly only in the US and Canada.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Bellisseria looks so tacky, cheap and amateurish and because of its proximity, is affecting the look and feel of the historic Sansara continent in a very negative way. >:(

Really?  REALLY!!!!???

One if the things I enjoy most about our new continent when looking at it on the map is how much BETTER it looks than the rest of its neighbors.

image.thumb.png.27049124b575fcf89d5274a99c1bda66.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Yes. I have visited the houseboats which don't look like houseboats, don't behave like houseboats and don't even FLOAT or MOVE like a real houseboat.

Clue is in the name. HOUSE. BOAT.  They are supposed to float and move on water.  LL, you have instead built piers!

Seriously, is Bellisseria being designed by landlocked landlubbers who have never been to a real coast?

A houseboat is a boat that has been designed or modified to be used primarily as a home. Some houseboats are not motorized, because they are usually moored, kept stationary at a fixed point and often tethered to land to provide utilities. (from Wikipedia)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AngieRath said:

Some houseboats are not motorized, because they are usually moored, kept stationary at a fixed point and often tethered to land to provide utilities. (from Wikipedia)

That is the very definition of a pier, pontoon or jetty.

These are real houseboats:

category_2002_hotspur-595x446.jpg&key=61

06C736B9000007D0-0-image-a-42_1550851853

22 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Yes. I have visited the houseboats which don't even look like houseboats. They don't behave like houseboats either, they don't even FLOAT or MOVE like a real houseboat.

Clue is in the name.

Clue is indeed in the name .. i think you confuse a house boat with a converted ship

house boat
H2A-Woonboot-A_D-01-1000x666.jpg

converted ship

screen-shot-2018-03-14-at-113904-p5ktlw.

• Like 6