Have you learned any valuable lessons from Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think I have learned some stuff from Second Life regarding interpersonal relationships and more things about myself as well - and I'm still learning new things.

I learned how people perceive my different types of avatars...I especially (re)learned about the amount of attention female human characters get (although I first learned about this in other virtual worlds such as Maple Story). I extrapolated the behavior of others in Second Life to real life and had a better understanding of why people think the way they do.

I learned some stuff about myself, such as the fact that I might have a better sense of humor than I realize - although it may still pale in comparison to others. I learned somewhat on how to better relate to people - although I still need improvement.

There might be some other lessons I'm forgetting, but yeah. Second Life is educational in a way.

I've learned that many people get far too involved in 'intellectual' dissection of what is supposed to be relaxing entertainment, to the point where it ceases to be relaxing or entertaining...

I feel the conflict within you... Let go of your pseudo-intellectualism and turn to the Fun Side...

• Like 1

I have learned how to make 3D models - I actually had no experience in that whasoever before I staretd building in SL.

I have improved my 2D graphic skills tremendously.

I have learned a new scripting alnguage and improved my programming skills.

I have learned a lot about how computers and the itnernet work.

I have learned a lot about how humans work.

I have met a lot of wonderful people who have taught me a lot about so many different things I can't even start to list them all.

But most of all, I have learned how wonderful Real Life is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

I've learned that many people get far too involved in 'intellectual' dissection of what is supposed to be relaxing entertainment, to the point where it ceases to be relaxing or entertaining...

I feel the conflict within you... Let go of your pseudo-intellectualism and turn to the Fun Side...

I get what you're saying and perhaps I do need to lighten up a little, but if we're not supposed to having discussions like this, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this forum?

29 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I get what you're saying and perhaps I do need to lighten up a little, but if we're not supposed to having discussions like this, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this forum?

There are people on just about every 'general discussion forum' on every website on the internet who think that arguing with people, is far more important that giving a damn what people are arguing about.

I've never subscribed to the belief that the 'debate is all that matters', with all those arbitary and usually highly questionable "rules of logical debate which if violated guarantee your university team loses!"

You know, the ones who on a History Discussion Forum in a thread about why a certain country lost WWII, will automatically respond to the statement that said country lost because the Leader was a moronic fruitcake by screaming

"Ad Hominem Fallacy You lose we win hooooooraaaaaah! The Buttburg University of Knitting Liberal Arts Faculty Debate Team wins again!"

;) 

I've learned that everybody has their own reasons for coming to Second Life. Some just want to dance and have superficial conversation. Some could care less about shoes and want deep intellectual conversations. 

I have learned people of SL can be cruel to new people. Sadly true because people tend to forget they were the newbie at one time. Also I learned that people get overwhelmed with trying to keep up with eachothers inventories. Case in point, EVERYONE into urban rp HAS to drive pro street cars.

• Like 3

I've learned that some people can never recover from the dreadful shock and horror of being unable to distinguish a joke and sarcasm from genocide.  It must be awful for them.  Particularly when they are the butt of the joke, although that's something you would swear they'd be used to.  Life is odd, and second life is odder and some of the people, well, let's just say I'm glad I don't have to share either a real or a virtual continent with THAT type ;)

I've learned not to wear my heart on my sleeve but that also applies for RL. People often assume i am cold and arrogant but its my defence mechanism. Another lesson that i learned - absolutely no online romances. Gotta save my nerve cells and just enjoy SL and the creativity on here.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.