How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey! I thought we'd concluded that all this consumerism was your fault!

Hey now, maybe in real life, where we live on a planet with diminishing resources consumerism is a fault, but in SL all those shiny new things have no impact on the environment, so we do not need to feel guilty or place blame.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Hey now, maybe in real life, where we live on a planet with diminishing resources consumerism is a fault, but in SL all those shiny new things have no impact on the environment, so we do not need to feel guilty or place blame.

But it's soooo much fun when she thanks me for the sales notecard then ponders which kidney she is going to sell this week. lol 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Consumerism isn't just an environmental issue though, but a social and economic one. People who oppose capitalism will often say that it "is" capitalism, personally I think it's just one form of dishonest capitalistic practice where neither party cares about the long term effects but rather one party wants to make quick money and lulls their customers into false beliefs about the quality of their products through deceptive advertising.

As an example, buying 16 pairs of shoes in a day for £2 a pop (i.e. my sisters discovering Primark) where they do not consider how it's possible to get so many shoes for so cheap - not questioning who made those shoes, where do the materials come from, how long will they last (within 18 months, all of the shoes which had seen any significant use were discarded).

That means that, roughly, their footwear needs were covered for £2 per month throughout the average lifetime of the footwear.

If you instead go to a cobbler and buy a pair of proper shoes for £75 (good shoes can cost less or more than that) that will last for 10 years with minimal maintenance (I know people who've had shoes last 25+ years), your footwear needs are covered for £0.6 per month. The higher quality product, whilst a larger initial investment, is the economically smart thing to go with (personally I've got a pair of shoes that have lasted 15 years so far and are in excellent condition, having only required new shoelaces - they cost 700 crowns when purchased, which is roughly £59 in today's currency value).

Consumerism is for the sellers to push down price and quality (often by abusing the global economy, assigning production to where it's cheap and using their economic power to push down prices for the material producers), so that people think that something is "affordable" - when in fact it isn't. It's when you see athletes drinking Coca Cola, and the health hazards of sugary drinks is wafted away (which has been a massive lobby project, especially in the US - people are instead taught to fear fat, which frankly isn't bad for you if you eat a decent diet, whereas sugar is nothing but detrimental and even addictive).

I'm no anti-capitalist, I think that every person who wants to make their own fortune should be free to do so - and frankly don't trust the government with too much money or power - but I'm very picky about the things I buy, regardless of whether it's clothes or food; I want the producer to be paid properly for their work and I want the product to be of an acceptable quality. I'm not interested in combating consumerism through voting and hoping that the lawmakers will deal with it for me through bureaucratic processes and bickering - I vote with my wallet (which also has lasted roughly 20 years so far!).

... ... </rant>

... Gachas. 👿

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Consumerism isn't just an environmental issue though, but a social and economic one. People who oppose capitalism will often say that it "is" capitalism, personally I think it's just one form of dishonest capitalistic practice where neither party cares about the long term effects but rather one party wants to make quick money and lulls their customers into false beliefs about the quality of their products through deceptive advertising.

As an example, buying 16 pairs of shoes in a day for £2 a pop (i.e. my sisters discovering Primark) where they do not consider how it's possible to get so many shoes for so cheap - not questioning who made those shoes, where do the materials come from, how long will they last (within 18 months, all of the shoes which had seen any significant use were discarded).

That means that, roughly, their footwear needs were covered for £2 per month throughout the average lifetime of the footwear.

If you instead go to a cobbler and buy a pair of proper shoes for £75 (good shoes can cost less or more than that) that will last for 10 years with minimal maintenance (I know people who've had shoes last 25+ years), your footwear needs are covered for £0.6 per month. The higher quality product, whilst a larger initial investment, is the economically smart thing to go with (personally I've got a pair of shoes that have lasted 15 years so far and are in excellent condition, having only required new shoelaces - they cost 700 crowns when purchased, which is roughly £59 in today's currency value).

Consumerism is for the sellers to push down price and quality (often by abusing the global economy, assigning production to where it's cheap and using their economic power to push down prices for the material producers), so that people think that something is "affordable" - when in fact it isn't. It's when you see athletes drinking Coca Cola, and the health hazards of sugary drinks is wafted away (which has been a massive lobby project, especially in the US - people are instead taught to fear fat, which frankly isn't bad for you if you eat a decent diet, whereas sugar is nothing but detrimental and even addictive).

I'm no anti-capitalist, I think that every person who wants to make their own fortune should be free to do so - and frankly don't trust the government with too much money or power - but I'm very picky about the things I buy, regardless of whether it's clothes or food; I want the producer to be paid properly for their work and I want the product to be of an acceptable quality. I'm not interested in combating consumerism through voting and hoping that the lawmakers will deal with it for me through bureaucratic processes and bickering - I vote with my wallet (which also has lasted roughly 20 years so far!).

... ... </rant>

... Gachas. 👿

^^^^^Worth a thread of its own...………………………...I'll just say this.....anyone who has commuted by public transport will know that shoes are not made for walking on. When I was doing six miles a day, they didn't last, and the best ones needed repeat resoling and heeling...…………...

But what really gets me going is commercial flying. This should be on a year on year reduction, and yet here in the UK, the pompous politicians who are claiming zero emissions by such a date, are also enlarging Heathrow...….so that there can be hundreds of extra flights...……….That to me is the ultimate hypocrasy.

• Like 5