should we be able to use emojis in IM and local chat in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not just no but hell no. If you want to use emojis, then hit forums and Skype. SL is more than an animated chat platform. In RL you would got up and say LOL, I'll BRB, smiley face. I personally believe SL should be treated the same way you treat RL in conversations. Emojis work on Twitter and phone messages because of lack of character space. That's not a problem in SL.

I teach RP classes and already have a problem getting players to drop the text/l33t speak when doing roleplay. I don't have a problem in IMs or group chats with the abbreviations but you don't RP LOL,,you say /me laughs loudly.

Sorry, but people are already replacing proper spelling with advertising spelling, lite rather than light for instance. Let's not drop our language skills even further, please. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Yes and no.

You can use emojis, but there is no insert button, and it is restricted to black and white emojis support by the DejaVu sans font.

I would prefer SL without emojis however, as people abuse them too much. It is already hard enough with people using texting speech on a keyboard, I cannot decipher what ?? means.

• Like 4

My first reaction would be no? I could definitely see it being abused and while it would be fun at first it would probably get old very quickly lol. I do like having them for the forums though. I do wish there was more here. ^

I'm not a regular user of emoji. Mom uses them, and sometimes I've no idea what they mean. I do like the old fashioned constructions, such as \o/, perhaps because they are constructed, abstract, clever and I know them. Most importantly, there is no Anne Francis wink emoji.

I was thrilled when I realized that a period at the end of a wink would match the mole to the right of my avatar's mouth. I was even more thrilled when I discovered I could use a "dot above" character to put a mole to the left of Snugs'.

;-). Me

;-)˙ Snugs

Our "real" faces...

58d8655a57534_SnugsandMaddy.jpg.d9c8747ae3f97cd9d24db6fd95d21c30.jpg

Anne Francis...

anne-francis-HoneyWest.jpg

So, make them standard issue in the viewer? I'm ambivalent.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

If you look over my left shoulder, you'll see that Pope Innocent X is holding a list of my sins...

58d86d112d041_SnugsandMaddy.jpg.da880445c5f22028d6b1afbc7bbfde68.jpg

Dillon gifted me the picture years ago and I added the list, which extends out past the frame...

58d86c4a807d3_WelcomePerrie.thumb.jpg.8f253fd12ec8449dd7a536d3efc4029d.jpg

Dillon imagined my conscience looked like the Pope. Surely you can see the resemblance to Snugs.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

My first reaction is... When the hell did people rename "emoticons" (emote icons) to some heathen gibberish like "emojis"... My second reaction is hell no, the gesturebaters are bad enough now without loads of spammy coloured gifs in the chat window, Kill this idea, kill it with fire!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nostoll said:

We have gestures 

Exactly this. You can do "emoji" like expressions with your avatar. Even more so now with a bento enabled hear. Now that won't exactly be able to make a facial expression for ? or ?, but you can get a lot that way. Plus it is more like talking that way. ?

Edited by Marianne McCann
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nostoll said:

We have gestures

Hence the term "gesturebaters", tedious little monkeys jerking off with a gesture on every damn line of chat, except it's not one like, its 3, they cant type 'lol' without 2 lines of bad unicode-gibberish "art" either side of the 3 letters, assuming they still use readable letters at all.

And somebody wants to give the monkeys gif emoticons?

You don't give a monkey the keys to an explosives factory, especially to a drunk monkey juggling detonator caps...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.