should we be able to use emojis in IM and local chat in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/28/2017 at 2:27 PM, Klytyna said:

Hence the term "gesturebaters", tedious little monkeys jerking off with a gesture on every damn line of chat, except it's not one like, its 3, they cant type 'lol' without 2 lines of bad unicode-gibberish "art" either side of the 3 letters, assuming they still use readable letters at all.

And somebody wants to give the monkeys gif emoticons?

You don't give a monkey the keys to an explosives factory, especially to a drunk monkey juggling detonator caps...

I'll admit, I used to be one - I think we all were back in the day, because it was new and fun! Now it's damn annoying. I left SL for several years and now that I'm back, I have forgotten all the triggers, so I randomly gesture without intention. I really need to just go through and deactivate them all. 

On 3/28/2017 at 0:48 PM, Marianne McCann said:

Exactly this. You can do "emoji" like expressions with your avatar. Even more so now with a bento enabled hear. Now that won't exactly be able to make a facial expression for ? or ?, but you can get a lot that way. Plus it is more like talking that way. ?

one thing that would be nice is to trigger certain expressions (bento - hands and heads) with local chat, like gestures, but animating the avi to do the emoting. That reminds me, I may have to keep my "YAY" gesture activated. It makes Ellie do the same thing I do in RL when I say "Yay". I don't like having to keep a HUD up and remember to click a certain emotion while trying to type at the same time. Plus, my viewer tends to get littered with HUDs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

I'll admit, I used to be one - I think we all were back in the day, because it was new and fun!

I still have a few and they can be very useful.  I made one with a single line that has a few frilly characters and Rhonda Applauds.  I set it off with /clap.  I use it because I like live music and I can't spell well.  What most of us hate are the huge ASCII art blocks that don't even line up correctly in chat window spammed several times so you can't even scroll back to see what you missed without the window scrolling forward again with ever repeat of that annoying, broken, senseless spew of vapid trash.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

one thing that would be nice is to trigger certain expressions (bento - hands and heads) with local chat, like gestures, but animating the avi to do the emoting. That reminds me, I may have to keep my "YAY" gesture activated. It makes Ellie do the same thing I do in RL when I say "Yay". I don't like having to keep a HUD up and remember to click a certain emotion while trying to type at the same time. Plus, my viewer tends to get littered with HUDs.

This would be possible with bento-enabled hands and head + animation files that take advantage of same. These could be easily triggered using a gesture. Perhaps as more and more have and use bento, we'll see more things just like this.

• Like 2

Lelutka has a few gestures included along with instruction on making more.  They have a list of all animations on their web site so we can make our own.  That way you can chain animation and play facial animations at the same time as system animations, for example.  Wave while blowing a kiss, then wink afterwards. 

Well, there are a lot of folks using gestures to spam emoji-like stuff into the ether in SL; but that's a lot of trouble to go to :-)

I'm of a generation that -generally- does not include emojii in text based conversation (excepting the occasional smiley), but I do understand that we have a growing population of folks who consider emojii "normal punctuation".

There is probably some generational commentary there :-)  SL skews "older" in many ways, meaning the emojii significance would be largely lost on people like me, (I have a hard time deciphering non-standard titler-fonts some folks like to use too; but I'm OLD)

Overall, my thought is this, if enabling emojii-capability makes a significant population happy; why not? However; speaking as  SL roleplayer and echoing another Poster's concern - folks participating in "Literary Parapost Roleplay" where conventiaonal literary expression is the "thing" and the "whole point" would probably still be expected to post in non-Emojii text by many private-sim moderators.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:09 AM, Marianne McCann said:

This would be possible with bento-enabled hands and head + animation files that take advantage of same. These could be easily triggered using a gesture. Perhaps as more and more have and use bento, we'll see more things just like this.

I -just- made the Bento-jump and I really love it.  The idea of using gestures to "express myself" with my fingers is probably going to get me in trouble :-)

49 minutes ago, Suzanne Weir said:

I -just- made the Bento-jump and I really love it.  The idea of using gestures to "express myself" with my fingers is probably going to get me in trouble :-)

I can say, with certainty, what was one of the first Bento hand animations created. I bet you can too! ;-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marianne McCann said:

I can say, with certainty, what was one of the first Bento hand animations created. I bet you can too! ;-)

Hehehe, yeah all the shopping groups could talk about was "flipping people the Bento"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.