How can I tell if I have been blocked

NanR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My thoughts would be if you're flirting with someone and they suddenly log off (and don't re-appear shortly, like they would if they crashed suddenly and then logged back in to last location) I would take that as a sign that the person didn't enjoy the flirting, and I would not attempt to flirt with them again, the next time I did happen to see them.  If you do attempt flirting a second time and they end it abruptly, I would not be surprised that they blocked you.  Perhaps she might have felt that blocking you was easier than trying to get you to realize/understand that she wasn't interested in your advances.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tex Monday said:

I use Firestorm and I noticed that if you're blocked, you won't be able to see the person's status (on line or off line) on their profile. 

I use Firestorm and the status that I see depends on the other's Preferences setting.

I have an alt that is not on my Friends list.  If her Preferences have checked "Only friends and groups know I'm online", then her profile always shows 'offline' to me whether or not she blocked me.  If she unchecks that box, then her profile showed 'online' to me even after she blocked me.

• Like 2

Just found out a way to know if you have been blocked. 

Open your browser, go to the marketplace, sign in (very important). Now, chose any item and click on "Add to cart as gift" then enter the recipient's first and last SL name and click on "find resident".  If you receive a message saying that the person cannot be found in directory, it probably means that she/he has blocked you. 

Now, sign out and do the same steps, [...] click "find resident". If you can find a resident while you are signed out but cannot find it when signed in, you know you have been blocked. 

This is the message you'll get if you have been blocked :  Could not find [First Last SL name] in the Resident records. Make sure you are using the Resident's full SL name and not the display name. For help on finding the Second Life name

Hope it helps, 

Edited by Laeticia Carfagno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

if they block you they made it clear that they don't want communication with you, they feel uncomfortable and tense with the relationship.

now, I get that if you don't know you are blocked you may be worried about that person, for that, you should be able to know if that person don't want to continue the relationship, but then again, if you know that you are being blocked, it cause drama.

i think that what you should do is entertain yourself in other things, meet new people, and send a message that you are worried and wish them well, in case they have not been in Second Life and they have not blocked you, they will appreciate that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I tried blocking my alt and from what I see there is no way to know if you are blocked and they will not see you in any way. The blocked person can still push you around though.

If you think they accidentally blocked you, which I've experienced, one way around is to either have someone else relay a message or log in with an alt account to let them know.

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 2

I'm just going to say that the presumptions of the previous people in this thread annoy me. As does the concept of blocking without making it obvious. I've been blocked without having any clue as to why, and the only indicator I got one time was when someone relayed a message -- and by that time she'd FORGOTTEN WHY.

I've heard that sending a notecard is an indicator, but I'm not so sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Phoenix Haight said:

I'm just going to say that the presumptions of the previous people in this thread annoy me.

As does the concept of blocking without making it obvious. I've been blocked without having any clue as to why, and the only indicator I got one time was when someone relayed a message -- and by that time she'd FORGOTTEN WHY.

Well, it might annoy you, but it is what it is. 

49 minutes ago, Phoenix Haight said:

Nope - that won't tell you anything.

Now, IF they have set up an auto-response to people they've blocked (and that option is only available in certain viewers), then you would get said autoresponse to an IM.  Otherwise, you'll just have to guess at the reason you get no response from someone.

• Like 1

One way to tell you have been blocked is to see someone having a conversation in group chat all by themselves. You see half the conversation but only one half, this would mean that whoever they are talking to has blocked you, you can try asking them who they are talking to, but the time i tried it i was ignored.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Haight said:

I'm just going to say that the presumptions of the previous people in this thread annoy me. As does the concept of blocking without making it obvious. I've been blocked without having any clue as to why, and the only indicator I got one time was when someone relayed a message -- and by that time she'd FORGOTTEN WHY.

Point blank it does not matter why a given individual has blocked you, they felt that such was the best course of action. It does not matter if they later forget why they blocked you either.

You do not have any right whatsoever to know that you have been blocked nor to know why. Move on.

Oh and furthermore someone telling you that they are going to block you (let alone adding a reason why) is doing so explicitly to create drama. Someone earns a block? Use the tool silently and move right on.

• Like 3

I usually blacklist and de-render anyone I block.  I usually send them a parting 'You are now Muted and De-Rendered', but sometimes I can't be bothered.  Plenty of fish in the sea.

I did forgive one obnoxious jerk who contacted me via a mutual friend.  Turns out he was actually OK, but RPing a jerk.

One of my neighbours blocked me from his land, I guess 'cos I overfly with my Helicopters.  I don't complain, I just blocked him from mine.  My land encircles his except on one side, and his block makes my flying more fun.  His choice.

You can't always choose your enemies, but you can usually choose your friends.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

One of my neighbours blocked me from his land, I guess 'cos I overfly with my Helicopters.  I don't complain, I just blocked him from mine. 

Why would you need that kind of "revenge"?
You could put a sign "free flights for my neighbour" on your helipad instead.

I thought "I don't block anyone"  then I looked at my block list and see lots of names of people who auto add me to their mailing list just for landing at their store, then spam me with notices of new products from some list I never opted to join in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

But I need feedback. I legitimately do not know why I'm coming across as rude or horrible, and people keep on just blocking and moving on without telling me anything! I legitimately cannot figure out why she blocked me at all. I said and did nothing that I would consider rude or unreasonable, and if I'm wrong, I want to know it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phoenix Haight said:

I said and did nothing that I would consider rude or unreasonable, and if I'm wrong, I want to know it

That's the key there. What you consider "rude..." can be diametrically opposed to whom ever blocked you.

Do as Pam suggested. Post here what you said (if it is chat, block out the other names for privacy reasons) and go from there.

Or maybe ask an intermediary go-between to ask the other person ("she") why the block? Maybe what "she" considered rude is not what you consider rude, but obviously, was a turn off to someone.

Oh, it's been a while since that happened... AND it was a bit 'adult' in nature. Flirting, encountering, "you're too tall" and she just logged. Tried flirting another time, she ended it abruptly, and apparently even she couldn't recall why she blocked me afterwards when I spoke about it, via an intermediary regarding a question about a sim she was admin of. (There are probably standards here, so you're going to have to take my word for it, it just did not feel like anything out of the ordinary for flirting or more-than-flirting. I just was not addressing her with the 'proper' amount of respect, apparently.)

I just needed to vent about it and say that when the most recent case of 'am I blocked or not?' turned out to just be someone who gets her messages capped quickly, I was so relieved I cried. Because since the system doesn't tell me if I'm blocked, long periods of silence feel like I've been blocked when it could just be Second Life eating my messages, but as noted, it's actually happened, and I'm often not sure why.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.