SL Groups: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Here's another good video to spark discussion.
What do you think of SL inworld Groups?
Are they the glue the holds SL communities together or the scourge of inworld communications? 
How many groups do you need to have?  Do you hide your groups?
What is your favorite group? Would you pay a yearly subscription to belong to it?

• Like 4

If it hadn't been for groups, I would have missed so many events inworld...I wouldn't have been able to remember every event coming up, especially as they'd have involved converting times from SLT to GMT...😬 

It's brilliant if you're at a loose end and then a couple of interesting-sounding events pop up :) And you can create groups for anything...I was in one group that created a sub group to plan a birthday surprise for one of the group members, and we once made a group called "Friends of North Korea" for our friend who used to pretend she was from there. And some of the group tags can be cool B|

The limit is a bit annoying but there are groups like Everything Indie, which indie/alternative/rock/punk clubs can sign up to and get permissions to send their notices through - so I can just join that one and get events notices from 15+ clubs, and not use up group slots.

If people have a 'my groups are hidden' notice, I just assume they go to sex clubs a lot xD But I would never pay to join one, personally...I'm peeved that I joined a couple of groups that were supposed to be free but then got a negative Linden balance when I had 0L (only -1 or -2, but it's the principle...👎)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

The limit is a bit annoying but there are groups like Everything Indie, which indie/alternative/rock/punk clubs can sign up to and get permissions to send their notices through - so I can just join that one and get events notices from 15+ clubs, and not use up group slots

Wait what?????

• Like 2

I think groups are great.  But the multiplicity of social media channels that performers and merchants are asking us to interact on is driving me nuts ... Discord and X and Facebook and Primfeed and even Twitch ... AARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

• Like 8

I only use groups for the chat and possibly for assistance . It's a nice way to see the faintest sign of life in Dead life. Clubs dont count . Those are for zombies.

I turn off every single notification because I don't want their spam . I shop when I want . Not when you attempt to stir the cattle into a flash sale .

Getting real tired of every creator thinking they can make access to their products or sims or sales " group only " . I join , buy the item , and IMMEDIATELY  leave their cult following .if it cost money to join , I won't join , period 

And yes .. since someone mentioned that they're also demanding we join on a SEPARATE platform like discord , I die inside every time that happens. It kills in world assistance cause they disable chat in their in world group usually .

Truly destroying the in world activity for the sake of gaining more followers to gawk over their newest releases like the consumer ******s they are . Usually before it's even released , like previews outside of second life on x or Facebook or primfeed or discord . Calm down I'm not THAT excited to buy sl clothes before all the other sheepies get it. That I would stalk social media , looking for updates from you .

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I only use groups for the chat and possibly for assistance . It's a nice way to see the faintest sign of life in Dead life. Clubs dont count . Those are for zombies.

I turn off every single notification because I don't want their spam . I shop when I want . Not when you attempt to stir the cattle into a flash sale .

Getting real tired of every creator thinking they can make access to their products or sims or sales " group only " . I join , buy the item , and IMMEDIATELY  leave their cult following .if it cost money to join , I won't join , period 

And yes .. since someone mentioned that they're also demanding we join on a SEPARATE platform like discord , I die inside every time that happens. It kills in world assistance cause they disable chat in their in world group usually .

Truly destroying the in world activity at the expense of gaining more followers to gawk over their newest releases like the consumer ****** they are .

Sure, but other than that, are you enjoying SL?

• Haha 10

Supposedly, the group limit exists to increase the probability that group chat will work, which has been an issue historically but currently seems to be working (but sometimes laggy).

I make use of groups for primarily four things... land management, on going community events (e.g sailing), event groups (e.g. SL21B) and, of course, shopping. The limit of 70 works fine for me. If I run out, I just delete some of the shopping groups which are mainly for getting free stuff. I use Seraphim for locating places to shop.

• Thanks 1

I like groups.  I don't do subscribers, Discord, that Prim-thing, Twitter/X, Flickr, Facebook, Reddit or any other external SL related sites, so it's the only way for stores to reach me (if they bother) or to find out what's going on with other special interest groups.

I like being able to drop into random conversations at times which can be hilarious or drama-filled, or both.

Groups aren't perfect and it would be great if they worked better but they are part of SL itself which is a huge plus for me.

Yes, I hide my groups, because I want to.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think groups are very useful for finding out about events if you find a club or place you like and want to find out when there might be more than zero people there. I hate to subscribe or get on some list where you have to contact someone to be taken off it. The messages out of no where irk me to no end. Groups are easy.. even if I don't want the day to day spam. I can turn all that off and just look in notices sent to look up what might interest me. 
I have a Premium account and I don't hit the group limit with it. I do very easily on a non- paid account. 
I do hide my groups when I think about it. I don't like to advertise for some stores. Sometimes if I think the product is very good I'll keep it shown on purpose. 
I can't say I have a favorite group. I don't feel any real connection to most they are tools for information mostly, or needed for land permissions and the like.
I could go on a rant about paying to join groups but I'll try to keep it short. I feel like if it's a store they get to advertise to you.. the cost to join should be low if you get other benefits from them.. in good gifts, credits or discounts. If you get major benefits sure the cost can be a little more but I'm kind of over that. I've felt ripped off in the past by two stores with rather large join fees. So I'm very wary of ever doing that again. 
For a club though.. to pay to join seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. Clubs need to get the word out and bring in people. I can get if it's a very hot, popular place or a very niche private place with owners that are involved...(usually sex related).  Mostly I just see greed there otherwise. I do get however that most people probably don't tip the venue and sometimes it's just to maintain the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Here's another good video to spark discussion.

VTSDW  (Video Too Stupid Didn't Watch )

What do you think of SL inworld Groups?

More useful than out-of-world group.

Are they the glue the holds SL communities together

Yes.

or the scourge of inworld communications? 

No.

How many groups do you need to have?

Varies, sane people, a few less than they are allowed, shopping addicts, twice what they are allowed, a certain Captain Oldbie's Forum-Whiner Alt, none.

What is your favorite group?

My land group. I can have custom tags over my head, and it helps keep Overentitled Rabble out of my living room.

Would you pay a yearly subscription to belong to it?

No.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My biggest gripe with groups is how, back in 2010, group notices changed since the transition of SL Viewer 1 to Viewer 2.

In Viewer 1 (pre-2010), every group notice since log-off would be thrown in your face upon login. You had to click them all away one by one. And that was a good thing, because you would always be able to give each of the group notice titles a quick glance. The chance of missing something important was quite small.

For fourteen years now, at login, group notices are hidden behind that little annoying button in the top right corner (you know, the one that always blocks the dialog windows from scripted objects), and they can be clicked away all at once. I know from experience thatmany people tend to miss group notices all together now, because of this.

Group notices are no longer a reliable source to make announcements.

It is not for nothing that many creators are now resorting to Instant Messaging systems that constantly scan the online-liness of its members and send an IM soon after they come online.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trouble with groups at the moment is that their most useful functions are sending out notifications and land management.

The chat is kinda dreadful, with low reliability, no option to make chat persist (ie login and read what you missed), no ability to have secondary channels etc. It was good enough into the late 2010's but now it's really starting to show its age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The chat is kinda dreadful, with low reliability, no option to make chat persist (ie login and read what you missed).

I think the issue is that the experience varies from account to account.  Though there certainly have been days when I wanted to kick the chat for misbehaving, generally chat performs well for me and I am often part of many inworld conversations using it.

Some time ago LL made a change and now you can see a bunch of messages that were posted before you logged in (they are coloured as green text).  So that is definitely an improvement.

Don't get me wrong, group chat could be much better as I have said in the past but it's not that hopeless for some of us at least.  It would just be great if that was the case for everyone.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How many groups do you need to have?
What is your favorite group? Would you pay a yearly subscription to belong to it?

I realised I missed some questions:

Q: How many groups do you need to have?
A:  What we get with Premium is more than enough for me recently, though once that wasn't true.  Regular pruning is essential.  At the moment the number that Basic gets would probably be adequate.

Q: What is your favorite group?
A: The ones I have created for tags and land management (as someone else said).

Q: Would you pay a yearly subscription to belong to it?
A: I already pay a yearly subscription for all the group slots but no, if a group required a separate yearly subscription, I wouldn't be a member.  There is nothing a group could offer me that would make it worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only care about discounts they offer and checking notices manually in all groups I'm in myself. Group chat and auto-notices are permanently disabled since a few months of joining SL. And considering most stores I shop at are failry active on flickr with their new releases/news/sales, the notices part is not even all that important for me.

And I wouldn't pay a subscription to belong to any group. One-time fee to join a few is fine in some cases, if I know that I'll be shopping there a lot and will get my money back through discounts in a bit, but even there are some exceptions. I've seen a few groups priced 2k-3k L$ to join while not offering anything amazing discounts/sales/deals wise, but something like a few useless gifts that no one cares about, so I don't join those.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I can have custom tags over my head

Best use of groups! My wife and I, and our alts, all do that.

14 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I'm peeved that I joined a couple of groups that were supposed to be free but then got a negative Linden balance when I had 0L (only -1 or -2, but it's the principle...👎)

Group dividends... one of the reasons we really need store customer groups etc. to be a different thing to land management and commercial enterprise groups.

14 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Do you hide your groups?

Yes, just to irritate people who like to check what groups I'm in. Plus I'm not a walking advert for stores.

Favourite group is Fallen Gods because it's full of so many wonderful people. Would I pay to be in it? I can't imagine Alia would ever charge for it, but I probably would. Rather that than just pay for a store group so they can 'avoid spammers' or restrict things to privileged members. That said, my wife, Foxy's favourite is Tori Torricelli (did I spell that right?) because she has a founders membership from years back and gets good discounts on otherwise expensive fatpacks (she can never decide on just one colour). So I suppose I like that group too, since I'm the one who gives her spending money. Neither of us would likely pay a regular subscription to a store group, ever.

I'm still in Renn's Traum although I'm not sure he still has an inworld store. That cost something silly (1000's I recall) to join, but offered huge discounts on everything purchased and lots of gifts, so was actually worth it.

=======================

I think LL's thing of restricting group numbers based on membership is downright mean and money-grabbing, especially the low limit for non-premiums given how many store groups there are. Not that I really care about them, but Foxy does.

The whole group thing in SL needs an overhaul for modern use... I'm not holding my breath for it though. While I don't like, and don't use, off-SL social media sites like Discord for SL stuff, I can see why others prefer to use it. Groups are essential, but essentially broken and outdated.

I still don't get notifications from half the groups I'm in, like Fallen Gods, Phoenix Preview, and others. Never have. Yet Foxy does and my alt does. I've never blocked them.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1