So what changed in the Terms of Service?

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Well I think we can safely say after 19 pages that the rules might need a little clarification :P

As far as the people using child avi's go you have my sympathies, I can't shake the feeling people who are completely blameless are going to be inconvenienced, hurt and endangered by all of this and have absolutely nothing to do with what spurred this policy change.

To be honest, I am concerned about the player base, as a whole I don't want Second Life to die out, I spent a lot of time here.

Some people will take this as an alienation, which has always been a huge reason people had quit Second life. A lot of problems where "I feel like it is clique based." "I didn't feel welcome." "overwhelmed with information." "discrimination."

On top of that, those who are innocent would probably feel punished and we are forcing them to leave what they were comfortable with. Worried about stability as a whole.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Many huds that let parents pick up their kids or walk them in strollers and give snacks/drinks, like Starries use RLV to do this.

Then the responsible parent should be careful to not force TP their child.to an adult region.  They should also require their child to not have Adult ticked in maturity preferences.  If you're going to play as a parent, take responsibility for your child's welfare.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

A child avatar could be using that wardrobe system that requires RLV.  There could be other similar things in SL.

Does the forced TP only work with a collar?  I've no clue about how RLV works.  

No, kids hud allow TP too, but you do have a white list [and with Starries at least you do have to whitelist first, they can't just take you], so hopefully your not giving to just anyone one, as well as removing it if someone shows they can't be trusted.

Edited by MissSweetViolet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

A child avatar could be using that wardrobe system that requires RLV.  There could be other similar things in SL.

Does the forced TP only work with a collar?  I've no clue about how RLV works.  

I've always worn a collar, force tp is part of the collar menu, dunno about alternatives

49 minutes ago, Lilbap said:

Hi first post, nice to meet you all even if this is a horrible time to be a kid in SL.

So, if the Lindens are here listening, please SHOW us what a "modesty layer" is upposed to look like? I mean, I just put black censor bars over my bits baked onto the skin I have. Is that a modesty layer? How about solid examples as opposed to just vague requests.

You see this sort of thing in character meshes for computer games, like Tomb Raider Legend.

One of the versions of Lara in that is Bikini Lara.

"Clever" people tried retexturing the bikini with a transparent texture, to get a "nude raider". It didn't work very well, because...

The bikini WAS the modesty layer, there is NOTHING underneath it.

So, in SL here is what you do.

Take your pint sized anti-adult-activities griefer avatar, cut holes in it where the naughty bits that must never bee seen are, cover the holes with built in mesh "modest" underwear.

Make the non naughty bits of the skin bom, make the underwear layers hud textures only, make the whole body NO MOD, ensure NONE of the underwear textures in the hud are "flesh coloured".

Job done.

Wait for pint sized anti-adult-activities griefer avatar users to scream that they don't like the underwear style and colours, and want the body mod so they can alpha out the underwear, then hear them scream even more when they find there are gaping holes in the "skin" layer.

Shrug, and ignore them.

Simple.

It's NOT rocket science.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why would a child even use rlv? And forced tp only works if you have an owner on your collar. Why does a child need a collar OR an owner.

Of course it would be useful in rl, opps its 8 o'clock, time to force tp the kids home. 😂

Well, some wardrobe systems for sale require RLV, right? I could be wrong, since I never use RLV for anything.

Where I live in RL -- and in most places, actually -- it is illegal to drive a car with a burned out headlight. It's not a serious felony, but you have to pay a fine if the police issue you a ticket for breaking the law.  So, I had a burned out headlight last month.  I didn't know it for a couple of weeks because I haven't been going anywhere after dark. Then I was too lazy to get it replaced for another week. If I had been stopped for some other reason and a policeman had discovered my dead headlight, I would have been in trouble. BUT ...

1. I wasn't stopped

2. No policeman was going to know about my headlight without deliberately stopping me or going to a lot of trouble.

3. Policemen have much more serious crimes to worry about.

4. There aren't enough policemen to go around looking for lawbreakers like me.

Being as rational as I can be about the updated policy, I suspect that the same will be true here in SL. The only time you are likely to be in trouble for running around without a baked-on modesty layer on your child avatar is when you are doing something much more obviously wrong like being in an adult area or playing whoopie on a sex bed.  Governance doesn't have the time or manpower or the inclination to go peeking up your avatar's skirt to see whether she's wearing painted underwear.  As with most laws, the idea is to convince as many people as possible to keep child avatars out of situations where really bad things might happen. It's NOT to catch as many people as possible for having non-regulation panties.

And no, I wasn't ticketed for my headlight, and yes, I did have it replaced. It was the right thing to do.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

True, but AFAIK, you need to allow someone else to have any control over RLV.  Not sure why anyone playing a child would need to.

Because maybe that mimics RL? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

True, but AFAIK, you need to allow someone else to have any control over RLV.  Not sure why anyone playing a child would need to.

I also wear something called a "littl helper" it lets my friends move me if I've gone afk and I need to be moved for some reason.  Not all RLV is about sex and adult activity.  Actually, we all war one and we have a number of times carried one of our group from an event after they have been called away for RL.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I've always worn a collar, force tp is part of the collar menu, dunno about alternatives

You can also turn some of that stuff off or only allow certain people access.  I'd assume anything regarding child RP.would also have those.options.

• Like 2

Just now, Vanity Fair said:

Well, some wardrobe systems for sale require RLV, right? I could be wrong, since I never use RLV for anything.

They probably wore rlv because they're apart of a family and that family required them to either have a curfew or be able to keep track of them or keep them off of things, ban them from certain areas or saying certain things.

Like when I was collared, was forbidden to go to certain sims that had been blacklisted in the collar.

• Like 3

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

I also wear something called a "littl helper" it lets my friends move me if I've gone afk and I need to be moved for some reason.  Not all RLV is about sex and adult activity.  Actually, we all war one and we have a number of times carried one of our group from an event after they have been called away for RL.

Yes, thank you.  Someone else.mentioned it was needed for strollers and such.  I'm sure it has an white list though and people wouldn't intentionally TP you to an adult region.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

yea,  here in the states we are allowed to bear arms, but up in the GWN you are allowed to bare breasts

I know which I'd rather have!

/me pretends to look brave about walking about topless

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Yes they do, but why waste money on the wardrobe system? just get a free collar and set up rlv outfits. It's quite simple, I can explain it to anyone interested.

People are terrified of rlv, they are so afraid strangers will grab them and do unspeakable things to them.

Well it's never happened to me

*sighs*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, thank you.  Someone else.mentioned it was needed for strollers and such.  I'm sure it has an white list though and people wouldn't intentionally TP you to an adult region.

It does have a white list and only my most trusted friends are on it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

yes right, that why i use it, (among other things) for the outfits, BUT you can't be force tped without an owner force tping you

Well you are using the word "owner" like in Master like. Some parents/children actually RP not being allowed to go anywhere other than what the parent deems necessary or safe.  Most family RP is very G rated.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Zooby babies are locked down tightly in terms of Zooby having to approve any clothes, skins, or other add-ons; you literallly can't use anything that isn't in their store hud. So Zooby babies have no genitalia and never will. The system has been designed to make it impossible.

If I were in the child av business I would be looking to move to a similar model, not unlike the old TMP one. It's very annoying for users and third-party creators, but probably their best option at this point.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes they do, but why waste money on the wardrobe system? just get a free collar and set up rlv outfits. It's quite simple, I can explain it to anyone interested.

People are terrified of rlv, they are so afraid strangers will grab them and do unspeakable things to them.

Well it's never happened to me

*sighs*

Hundreds if not thousands use the CTX wardrobe system and it uses RLV.  It also has a visual wardrobe which the simple rlv folders do not.  No collar needed either.

webpage.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

Well you are using the word "owner" like in Master like. Some parents/children actually RP not being allowed to go anywhere other than what the parent deems necessary or safe.  Most family RP is very G rated.  

That's the terminology the collar uses. The owner is the one that can control the menu.

Maybe there is a pg collar that uses the word parent instead of owner, I personally wouldn't know.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lilbap said:

Hi first post, nice to meet you all even if this is a horrible time to be a kid in SL.

So, if the Lindens are here listening, please SHOW us what a "modesty layer" is upposed to look like? I mean, I just put black censor bars over my bits baked onto the skin I have. Is that a modesty layer? How about solid examples as opposed to just vague requests.

I would assume what teen grid had:

image.thumb.jpeg.dd538ecf5f7287e39a28ee2292af633a.jpeg

underpants_trial_female.png.cc38c376cd0a026692b85f0d82c8919e.pngunderpants_trial_male.png.c0a0ef8d825f991846b3ade94c8ad642.pngundershirt_trial_female.png.7c5b0b5c32aec1791bc7f6b360f0810f.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is not sufficient.

Please define where the line is. One reasonable person is another's raving lunatic.

The punishment for not knowing where governance draw the line is an all accounts perma ban.

This is worse than secret ratings for marketplace words. If someone gets that wrong they don't lose everything.

Are babyfurs and furry cubs child avatars ? They are not "children".

Are anime avatars automatically children?

Are anime avatars in sailor fuku automatically children?

How does this affect the ABDL community? (who are, by definition, adults)

I would say that this is ture not all anime avatars are children.

6 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem.   If someone is wearing a child avatar, they shouldn't be in an adult region, and it should be no hardship for them to keep their settings on GM.   If they want to go shopping in an adult region, then wear an adult avatar and change the setting to GMA, and change back to GM when they're finished.   

What's the difficulty?    

The difficulty is that changing to a none child avatar before going to an adult region requires the person to KNOW they are going to one before they go.

The Linden viewer does not show ratings on the map, neither does the SLURL web map. It's really easy to go direct from the market place "view inworld" to an adult location - there are lots of stores on adult land that don't sell explicitly adult content.

So, that option in the viewer becomes a toggle that gets flipped on and off as needed even for owners of child avatars. An option that needs to be constantly changed is an option that leads to mistakes.

It is now against the ToS to arrive at an adult location as a child avatar.

Adult verified avatars are also automatically teleported to Adult info hubs under certain conditions, so it's entirely possible that child avatars will inadvertently end up on adult land. Visible and report-able to all, long before they can even see or interact with SL - This was partially why the original rules did not explicitly ban child avatars from A land.

There are lots of gotchas and edge cases.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2