When will LL finally do the Single Player Mode for Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is probably just a joke thread, but on the off chance that you are serious and simply wanting to be able to use second life offline then you can do so with opensim.  You won't have any of your inventory from SL, but it is the closest to having SL while being offline.. and when the inevitable skynet scenario occurs, creates a fungus that turns all humans into zombies, and we lose the Internet, you can be building away in your own regions disconnected from the net, and using solar power to keep your computer running.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

It's like literally 20 years and they only work on the multiplayer mode. What's taking so long?

That's what a self-hosted Opensim is for. 😁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

It's like literally 20 years and they only work on the multiplayer mode. What's taking so long?

I'm a bit confused here.  One of the main reasons for SL's existence is for socializing. If you want solo mode, off to Opensim you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have done it many times, in many ways.

First:  You go to a sandbox where nobody else is, and do your thing by yourself.

Second:  You buy some land in SL, and make it private, and do your thing by yourself.

Third:  You run Open Sim on your local machine, or on some web hosting, and do your thing, by yourself.

Fourth:  You are in the military, and you work with whatever DHS department ended up with the SL server code, after Mark Kingdon licensed it to them.  You can probably run it locally, but you're DHS, so you probably have servers to run it on if you want.  This is probably a version that the military hacked up, so it may not be SL any more.  It might be SL, though!  I'm not cleared to know.  You probably aren't, either.  (Side note:  This move by Kingdon killed off most military contracting in SL, shortly after he killed off the academic sector, and then he did more very bad things... but that's a long story for another time. Kingdon was horrible).

55 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

Fourth:  You are in the military, and you work with whatever DHS department ended up with the SL server code, after Mark Kingdon licensed it to them.  You can probably run it locally, but you're DHS, so you probably have servers to run it on if you want.  This is probably a version that the military hacked up, so it may not be SL any more.  It might be SL, though!  I'm not cleared to know.  You probably aren't, either.  (Side note:  This move by Kingdon killed off most military contracting in SL, shortly after he killed off the academic sector, and then he did more very bad things... but that's a long story for another time. Kingdon was horrible).

Are you meaning the MOSES project? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Open_Simulator_Enterprise_Strategy

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, that was open sim.  This was around the same time, but it was a different thing.  I forget the acronym, but I remember it was a DHS contract to basically buy or license the actual SL server code from LL.  Not the OS version, but the honest to goodness, LL written code.  I was an academic in SL, at the time.  This was shortly after they got rid of the academic discount, which destroyed the academic sector in SL (I don't think that's a controversial statement, at all).  At the time, I was looking for other ways to maybe turn a profit, working with institutions in SL.  I had friends who did military contract work, many of them simulating first responder type things, and I remember they told me most of them lost all their government work, after DHS licensed the server code from LL.  I never was able to find government work, so I assumed what they told me was true.  I can't find blog posts about it right now, but I remember it was reported on.  Maybe it happened around 2009/2010?  My memory is hazy.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

In case you haven't noticed , half the people in second life are attempting to play it as a single player game as it is right now .

- theyre always in " entertain me mode" , angry when the npcs  standing around in the sims don't respond quick enough .

- they're always in character , whether it's a blatantly rp  character, or that one they think they can fool us into believing is their actual rl character, the 100x cooler than the real them character  . Always adding more false lore to their legacy.

- every time someone pulls that " there's 28,000 places to go in second life !" I am reminded that 27890 if them are private parcels where people are at home , a single dot or 2 on the map where they're changing clothes all alone , or having " fun" with their sexy alt.

- standing outside of chat range , watching the social circles from afar, hoping someone messages them as they never say a word to anyone on their own, trying to let the world provide them with some kind of stimulation without ever actually taking any initiative and going for it on their own, etc. 

I have more , but no time for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

SL will never be an offline game. The reason is simple. It will not fit in a single computer. The SL content totals more than 200 terabytes, and that number is OLD. Like from 10 or 12 years ago.

Maybe on your machine. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

SL will never be an offline game. The reason is simple. It will not fit in a single computer. The SL content totals more than 200 terabytes, and that number is OLD. Like from 10 or 12 years ago.

You know, that really only stops it from being a totally offline game- doesn't really stop it from being a singleplayer game.

Just means downloading screens where normal games would have loading screens.

8 hours ago, Midnoot said:

In case you haven't noticed , half the people in second life are attempting to play it as a single player game as it is right now .

- theyre always in " entertain me mode" , angry when the npcs  standing around in the sims don't respond quick enough .

- they're always in character , whether it's a blatantly rp  character, or that one they think they can fool us into believing is their actual rl character, the 100x cooler than the real them character  . Always adding more false lore to their legacy.

- every time someone pulls that " there's 28,000 places to go in second life !" I am reminded that 27890 if them are private parcels where people are at home , a single dot or 2 on the map where they're changing clothes all alone , or having " fun" with their sexy alt.

- standing outside of chat range , watching the social circles from afar, hoping someone messages them as they never say a word to anyone on their own, trying to let the world provide them with some kind of stimulation without ever actually taking any initiative and going for it on their own, etc. 

I have more , but no time for now.

Thanks for that depressing reality.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

You know, that really only stops it from being a totally offline game- doesn't really stop it from being a singleplayer game.

Just means downloading screens where normal games would have loading screens.

You wouldn't download a cat.

I have Single Player mode SL.

It's known as "Sims 4".

And just like multi-player SL; it's full of DLC they want me to buy - outfits, stuff to rez in my home, etc.

As an aside; it's funny how often Sims 4 players panic over a fear that Sims 5 might be online / multiplayer. A lot of which has to do with a fear that they will lose the ability to mod things. Every now and then the discussion over there notes that the end result would basically be a new alternative to Second Life.

As another aside; many (as opposed to all) of the things people who insist SL isn't a game cart out, could also be said of Sims 4, which is seen as a game.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:38 PM, Istelathis said:

and using solar power to keep your computer running.

Solar power?  how gauche. any true wastelander is going to be using the bicycle generator to power their personal grid.  You gotta keep in shape somehow so you can fun from the zombie mutant vampires when they inevitably break in.....

<ponders>

or is that mutant zombie vampires? vampire zombie mutants?  hmmmm..... oh heck,  I can never remember the proper order of descriptors there....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Salyx said:

<ponders>

or is that mutant zombie vampires? vampire zombie mutants?  hmmmm..... oh heck,  I can never remember the proper order of descriptors there....

Mutant has to come first, but it's your choice whether they're vampire zombies or zombie vampires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great idea! An offline mode for SL. With mobile, I think this would be a nice way for people to enjoy SL in places where there is no internet connection. Maybe players could have a limited play area that is saved in a cache. 

As for the Sims 5, I think Linden Lab could experiment with an isometrically locked camera and UI to support a top down play style for SL. I guess this could be something a 3rd party viewer might try.

To push it further, maybe an AR style of camera view where the SL world is locked to something in the real world like the floor or table and a mobile phone or tablet would be a free camera looking down on the virtual landscape. 

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.