Any other people try to make their ideal boyfriend or girlfriend as a Second Life avi?

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I probably mentioned it here before, and I know it sounds pathetic, but I like to make pretty female avatars to look at because I don't have a girlfriend in real life.

I'm pretty sure that's what half the people in second life do , even if they did it subconsciously . They make their ideal attraction and then they fall in love with it , identify with it , take 24 selfies an hour of it .

I make avatars like people listen to songs . If it gives me a certain feel that I like, Like nostalgia , comfort, or if it resembles a game I'm playing or have played,  etc, I make it.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I probably mentioned it here before, and I know it sounds pathetic, but I like to make pretty female avatars to look at because I don't have a girlfriend in real life.

I don't think this is in any way "pathetic." As Midnoot notes, it's a version of what most of us do -- whether it is producing an idealized version of ourselves, or of someone else.

RL can be pretty disappointing. Why, given the opportunity, would you not want your alternate reality to be beautiful and ideal?

(I remember a guy once telling me that he used a female avi because he enjoyed watching her wiggle her butt when she walked. Which . . . sure! Whatevs, right?)

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(I remember a guy once telling me that he used a female avi because he enjoyed watching her wiggle her butt when she walked. Which . . . sure! Whatevs, right?)

I once knew a guy who made alts like they were going out of style, just so he could watch them doing the oingo boingo on screen while he did... things in RL. To each their own, I suppose. 

On topic, though, I agree that people tend to make their ideal avatars inworld, whether that ideal be human, furry, or anything in between. Why would anyone make an avatar that they don't want to look at for hours at a time, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While I do realize it's true that people make what they want to look at mostly, and that people might (even unconsciously) express their ideals with their avatars as far as romantic stuff goes, I don't even want to consider the implications. If it's unconscious, it can stay that way.

I play a child, a fish-monster-hybrid, an undead ghoul, a necromantically animated skeleton, a Yithian (Google it), a Starfleet science officer with bewbies, and a potato. I can't really imagine any of them as my ideal love interest, if I even had one. Even my science officer, she's just how I'd want to look myself if I was a grownup lady in space.

My GF is a werewolf dolly. She gets jealous of my mermaid dolly, but I keep telling her I only carry the mermaid dolly around as part of my job, because fish-people live where I work. And I have two other dollies besides. I don't know if they have any alts. I only take them out for tea parties.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

XD

I made it a Starfleet uniform, and it has all of the proper insignia for its role as security officer.

It's actually a rather high-def potato avi; I just get a seam around my midriff if my texture isn't baked right, is all. Not going all tinfoil though, I know it's just SL.

And yes, I already know every potato one-liner. I use them all.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

Isn't this what SL is ALL about?  Making something you'd love to be, and making something you'd love to love, are not very different.

Way I see it, it's kinda the whole point. I agree.

Having the option of making and/or being whatever you like, however you may think of that. And however you may personally like it.

I might not make avis of my ideal fantasy partner, but I certainly don't see anything weird about people doing that. I'd think just about everyone has at least thought about it, or dabbled in it, at some point.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I made it a Starfleet uniform, and it has all of the proper insignia for its role as security officer.

It's actually a rather high-def potato avi; I just get a seam around my midriff if my texture isn't baked right, is all. Not going all tinfoil though, I know it's just SL.

And yes, I already know every potato one-liner. I use them all.

Meet your kryptonite:

Petato smasher.webp

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I'm pretty sure that's what half the people in second life do , even if they did it subconsciously . They make their ideal attraction and then they fall in love with it , identify with it , take 24 selfies an hour of it .

So half want to mate with their avatar and half want to be their avatar? I should start asking people I meet inworld what their preference is 😃

• Like 2

So, this would be like how Dr. Frankenfurter created Rocky?

I'd be afraid that like Dr. Frankenfurter, I'd regret having previously created "Eddie".

On the plus side, you could always invite "Edwina" (Eddie) to dinner in SL, even after you decide "Rochelle" (Rocky) is your favorite SL girlfriend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So half want to mate with their avatar and half want to be their avatar? I should start asking people I meet inworld what their preference is 😃

When you create your survey, just make sure to include a box that's labeled "both." (Suggesting on behalf of a friend.)

• Like 3

...make their ideal boyfriend or girlfriend...

I don't really do this, no. Only a handful of my avatars are what one would typically think of as attractive, and those are primarily brought out when I want to do a fashion shoot or a themed photo series based on an album or film or something. The main bulk of my "hang out in SL" avatars are quite different. Some are silly-cute (frog, deer, etc.), some look very strange or otherworldly, and some are grotesque or off-putting. 

I mostly make avatars for self-expression, commentary, and storytelling. If I'm feeling goofy, I'll toss on my frog. If I want to make a statement about the state of the world or planet in general, nobody's going to want to date the horrors I come up with - not even me.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I was trying to figure out what to write in response to the OP, but go so very lost. I think this sums it up well enough ...

1520162373276.jpg.6d32f2071d392018fe289936117af919.jpg

A compliment: Gopi is GOOD at these types of threads!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I did try once but my "ideal mate" does not exist. Society doesn't accept people like us because they can't let go of their imagined reality and live in the heart of a cloud.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

and a potato

Reminds me of a great DEVO song ("Smart Patrol"), where the boy (a potato), is looking for a girl (a tomato)! 

Lyric:

Afraid that no-one around me
Understands my potato
Think I'm only a spud boy
Looking for a real tomato

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I was trying to figure out what to write in response to the OP, but go so very lost. I think this sums it up well enough ...

1520162373276.jpg.6d32f2071d392018fe289936117af919.jpg

Yes, Queen! This should be the new picture for the Community Forums!

For myself, I like my avatars to look attractive to me, but I wouldn't want to date any of them because that would just be talking to myself. And I do enough of that already in RL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

People make avatars for all kinds of reasons.  I make "leave me alone" avatars.  Some don't update their avatars at all and don't care how they look.  They'd prefer to be known or liked for who they are and not how they look.  Plenty of people aren't in SL to watch their or other's avatars jiggle.  I am rarely swayed by someone's great looking avatar over who they are as a person.  

I make pretty avatars, too.  It's fun to manifest some kind of physical ideal.

• Like 4

Also, this is why I capitalized on Animesh and made hundreds of "temporary" companions for I and others to "use".

No risk of getting hurt, judged or shamed.

Whether or not you still feel lonely afterwards is something it can't remedy, though. 🙁

• Like 2