What's the buzz, tell me what's a-happening?

Just now, Pixie Kobichenko said:

What is the other big issue?  I don’t know if that comes across snarking in asking (I’m talented that way when I don’t mean to be) - I honestly do not know & am curious?

We've been told not to discuss it on the forums so this seems like a way around that?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought we heard about the CMO leaving, about a week ago (IIRC).  

Right. (I know the OP's reference, it's just… gah, we can't respond.)

EDIT: Wait. I only knew about the CMO from Inara's blog post, which was just yesterday. Where did it come out a week ago?

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Right. (I know the OP's reference, it's just… gah, we can't respond.)

EDIT: Wait. I only knew about the CMO from Inara's blog post, which was just yesterday. Where did it come out a week ago?

Maybe yesterday was just a really long day for me? LOL!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe yesterday was just a really long day for me? LOL!!

(Incidentally, the "timing" I meant was that they apparently disappeared from the management roster between December 25 and January 15, per the article.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/28/2024 at 5:34 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm a little disappointed about these departures (which I am pretty sure are unconnected to anything else), especially Mojo. It seems to me he did actually make a real difference in terms of viewer performance.

I'm really sad about Mojo because he had this vision -- there it is! -- in the gleaming distance -- on the yawning heights! -- of a Mainland where a preview would roll out in front of you as you drove along seamless roads. Of course, some people pointed out that you actually don't WANT to see that much Mainland up close or in a preview or at all lol. Still, it was a vision of a contiguous world which was really great to see after 20 years of it dying in stages.

• Like 5

Perhaps shuffling around people due to Unity now being used, I suspect the viewer on the desktop will be moving to Unity as well.  If it is, development on the desktop engine currently in use will probably slow down to a near halt as the resources will be shifted to Unity and the manpower required to maintain two different engines would no longer be necessary.  Then there might be the ordeal with having to deal with Apple and Google, and trying to cater to a mobile audience.  Who knows though?  I do know, that I was looking forward to hearing the next Lab Gab, and that may have giving us a few more hints as to their plans for the future, unfortunately, did not happen on the 29th.

I don't know though, I haven't a clue as to what the roles are in Linden, who the developers are, what their specialties involve, or even the direction SL is going to take.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 5

On 2/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, diamond Marchant said:

https://modemworld.me/2024/02/27/linden-lab-departures-mojo-and-styfy-linden/

This does not feel right, given the proximity to the other BIG issue floating around recently.

Why should you want to know?

Don't you mind about the future, don't you try to think ahead. Just save tomorrow for tomorrow

Ya gotta think about today instead

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

*Runs in the thread really quick*  Just wanted to run in to at least say I was in here. * Runs back out really fast, before the lock*

* Goo clings on to @Ceka Cianci

/me looks horrified

It won't let us leave Ceka!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Perhaps shuffling around people due to Unity now being used, I suspect the viewer on the desktop will be moving to Unity as well.  If it is, development on the desktop engine currently in use will probably slow down to a near halt as the resources will be shifted to Unity and the manpower required to maintain two different engines would no longer be necessary.  Then there might be the ordeal with having to deal with Apple and Google, and trying to cater to a mobile audience.  Who knows though?  I do know, that I was looking forward to hearing the next Lab Gab, and that may have giving us a few more hints as to their plans for the future, unfortunately, did not happen on the 29th.

I don't know though, I haven't a clue as to what the roles are in Linden, who the developers are, what their specialties involve, or even the direction SL is going to take.

Considering (IIRC) the Unity licensing changed while the Mobile viewer was in-progress:  Theoretically, each Unity user "costs money"? My theory at the time was, maybe that's why the Mobile Alpha testing was so limited (stingy test budget).

It will be interesting (to me at least) if the main viewer DOES move to Unity, to see how long it takes the TPV's to adopt / catch up!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Have wondered the same thing, if they can get a viewer working in Unity then it seems pretty logical they would move to it on the desktop too. Easy cross platformyness as well, they've been in a pretty bad spot as far as not having a native viewer for Apple Silicon for this long.

• Like 1