What's the buzz, tell me what's a-happening?

59 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Didn't you recently mention you are often on Speedlight? Does that not qualify you as a user who has a very limited scope of needs to interact with the world? I would think that disqualifies you as being with the "most users" category. :) 

I do, yes. And I also use normal viewers when I want to do more in SL than Speedlight can manage. Right now, for instance, I am logged in with the SL viewer and I have an alt logged in with the Genesis viewer. So I'm not disqualified at all ;). Also, after 17 years in SL, I think I can qualify anyway :) In fact, I use various 'normal' viewers, depending on what I want to do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's true, because it takes them TIME to try and fix all the things LL fubared in their fustercluck coded half finished mess.

No. It takes them time to incorporate the changes. That's all. I do realise that that's one of your stock offerings, so I won't get into it ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I do, yes. And I also use normal viewers when I want to do more in SL than Speedlight can manage. Right now, for instance, I am logged in with the SL viewer and I have an alt logged in with the Genesis viewer. So I'm not disqualified at all ;). Also, after 17 years in SL, I think I can qualify anyway :) In fact, I use various 'normal' viewers, depending on what I want to do.

Ok so i misunderstood the intent of your post. My apologies.

• Like 1

If it helps a bit more, I also use the Alchemy viewer.

The SL, Alchemy, and Genesis viewers are my viewers of choice these days, depending on what I want to log in for, but I've used others over the years too.

Correction:
I should have said 18 years in SL, not 17 years.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If it helps a bit more, I also use the Alchemy viewer.

The SL, Alchemy, and Genesis viewers are my viewers of choice these days, depending on what I want to log in for, but I've used others over the years too.

Correction:
I should have said 18 years in SL, not 17 years.

Didn't you post awhile back about using the Raspberry Pi for some experiments?  If so, which viewer(s) did you use for that?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Btw, I like the 360 view photos.

image.thumb.png.974fdb2c9f32c855acd83c13a994e3b3.png

Me too. These are Experience teleporters that look very real viewed from inside; walk through a sphere to arrive at the location and orientation depicted. (With a little Gimp work I diced the high-res 360 image to maximize pixel density at the middle "longitudes" of the sphere.)

The Linden viewer I'm using has parcel boundaries showing on the mini-map, but that can be turned off in the context menu and I'm not sure which is the default.

Anyway, I've had enough of viewer wars, especially when I use several—as do TPV developers, and none of them would say the only good features come from TPVs. (Well… okay, there's one who might.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Thank you for admitting your opinions on TPV's are largely irrelevant.

LOL!  I never said anything "bad" about TPV's.  I believe you are "projecting" by "deflecting". 🙂

I am referring to how OTHERS judge the LL Official Viewer - who apparently despise it, but of course it seems they don't use it.  So, their opinions would seem to be based on either reading other people's reviews, or trying the official viewer many years ago.

You're a funny lady sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:38 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

OK, go and look at those teacups I discussed on Twitter and tell me if you see the same thing I do because they're in PBR.

You're @Prokofy on x?

Is it the 1400L tea set? I have much better tea sets that wasn't so expensive. That 1400L set does not look better than them.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am referring to how OTHERS judge the LL Official Viewer - who apparently despise it, but of course it seems they don't use it. 

As usual, you have overlooked the bloody obvious.

Allow me to clarify.

We TPV users HAVE tried the official Fail-Viewer, back when we were noobs, found it to be zero-quality-of-life-feature sh*te, and tried a TPV and gone "wow this is sooooo much better than that official sh*te".

The Fail-Viewer Cultists, never try anything else, because Fail-Viewer Cultists.

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

or trying the official viewer many years ago.

It's as much inferior sh*te today as it's ever been, since the only quality-of-life features it has are few and far between and invariably stolen from TPV's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Didn't you post awhile back about using the Raspberry Pi for some experiments?  If so, which viewer(s) did you use for that?

I did. It was during last year. I use a Raspberry Pi as my main computer, but I have to use a tower machine for logging into SL with a normal viewer.

With Henry's help, I did manage to get a thin client (Radegast) running on the Raspberry Pi but it stopped working the next day, and I couldn't get it back again.

The problem with the RPi is that it uses an ARM processor but a 'normal' viewer doesn't exist for that processor. Apparently there was a way to achieve it but Microsoft scuppered it by no longer supporting something that's needed. Henry knows all about it, but I wasn't used to it at all so my memory hasn't retained what it's all about.

Speedlight runs in a browser so I can use the RPi fully for it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

The problem with the RPi is that it uses an ARM processor but a 'normal' viewer doesn't exist for that processor. Apparently there was a way to achieve it but Microsoft scuppered it by no longer supporting something that's needed. Henry knows all about it, but I wasn't used to it at all so my memory hasn't retained what it's all about.

I remember now that there was something about Microsoft runtime libraries (whether the MSVC libs or others). Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

LOL!  I never said anything "bad" about TPV's.  I believe you are "projecting" by "deflecting". 🙂

I am referring to how OTHERS judge the LL Official Viewer - who apparently despise it, but of course it seems they don't use it.  So, their opinions would seem to be based on either reading other people's reviews, or trying the official viewer many years ago.

You're a funny lady sometimes.

Who are the OTHERs then? I've already said I use the official one for comparisons requiring me to use it, hence giving me a good foundation for criticizing/despising it.

• Like 1

I forced myself to use the official viewer and make sure i can do everything i do on it.  Its always possible LL bans third party viewers just like they banned emerald viewer when we all loved it.  I would not stop playing SL if i could only use the official viewer.  But between using the official viewer and using windows 11 there is going to be a lot more swear words then necessary.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

As usual, you have overlooked the bloody obvious.

Allow me to clarify.

We TPV users HAVE tried the official Fail-Viewer, back when we were noobs, found it to be zero-quality-of-life-feature sh*te, and tried a TPV and gone "wow this is sooooo much better than that official sh*te".

The Fail-Viewer Cultists, never try anything else, because Fail-Viewer Cultists.

It's as much inferior sh*te today as it's ever been, since the only quality-of-life features it has are few and far between and invariably stolen from TPV's.

I use the official SL viewer and that's all I wish to use, I don't wish to use Firestorm for many reasons. If I have to do some serious search work, e.g. looking at my own land parcels I've put in search/places, which I can't usefully see on the official SL viewer (!), I go to Alchemy which has the best, neatest, cleanest search results I've seen and I'm content with that. The only down side to Alchemy is that I can't get it to search groups for names, even just partial names (the SL viewer won't let you search on a pasted-in name, it shows "0" -- you have to coax it with just a few letters of the name).

It works fine, and doesn't have the down times and glitches that Firestorm and others do. No doubt the view of the world is better or richer or whatever on other viewers but I turn all that stuff off anyway as my graphics card isn't the greatest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I can use the official viewer, but I do not like it.

Would I quit SL if the official viewer wat the only option and all others banned?

Maybe. I have said things before and changed my mind. So I will not say yes or no.

You really have to wonder why the offical viewer won’t support  RLV, especially now that LL is willing to admit that s e x exists in second life 😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Oh my!

The SL viewer I tried 14 years ago is not the same SL viewer I tried 6 months ago. I still prefer Firestorm by a wide margin, but I also acknowledge that this is partly because I've been using it for all the time it's been a TPV, so I'm used to it. I've got my settings set how I like them. I know where to go in the Advanced menu to highlight invisible objects, change my camera perspective, or even to make the ocean disappear. I know how to do things with it that a newbie wouldn't even think to want to do.

I've tried Black Dragon, so I can say for myself that it has some advantages for photography. I've tried the SL viewer, so I can say it's at least basically usable for a newbie in SL. I haven't tried other viewers, so I won't comment on them. 

If it's just me talking with a newbie, I'll recommend Firestorm to them as much because this makes it easier for me to explain to them how to do stuff as because it might give them a better SL experience. I don't think it's necessarily the easiest viewer for a newbie to use, however, because it does give them alot of options that the SL viewer doesn't have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You really have to wonder why the offical viewer won’t support  RLV, especially now that LL is willing to admit that s e x exists in second life 😂

It'll be interesting to see if the LUAU (Roblox-flavored LUA) client-side scripting will effectively replace RLV. At first I assumed that any API that's useful for anything would necessarily subsume everything RLV does and more, but I think there may be a way to neuter it so it can't respond to any communications from in-world at all (which would relegate it to glorified UI shortcuts programming).

Interesting times if we can just hold in there.

Speaking of which, for the idle conspiracist, "across the street" has a topic germane to the OP, as does reddit and NWN. I've yet to detect any signal in the noise.

• Like 2