Forum needs a garbage section.

PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

One can only cringe so much before saying enough is enough and having to block a poster who is rarely on topic. It is in fact a protection to the one being blocked because they will no longer be responded to either and that will result in their feelings not being hurt when one might respond caustically.

I didn't say blocking was mean spirited but one doesn't need to post that they are blocking or continually blocking someone on the forum.  Would that not be the same as engaging with them. If you want to block someone don't respond to any of their posts or what's the point?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I didn't say blocking was mean spirited but one doesn't need to post that they are blocking or continually blocking someone on the forum.  Would that not be the same as engaging with them. If you want to block someone don't respond to any of their posts or what's the point?

I'm actually ok with people telling me they blocked me since then I will usually not respond to something they brought up unless I use it as a way to go deeper on a particular topic and will not be expecting a response specifically from that person. I've thought about whether one's profile should list those who someone has blocked as a sort of common courtesy. Would be the same as a:

eaf89899ab8878e45b01bc517703d0ec.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

If you want to block someone don't respond to any of their posts or what's the point?

Never miss an opportunity to tell someone you dislike them and never want to hear another thing that comes out of their mouth!

I think I saw that in the Bible...one of the 10 commandments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm actually ok with people telling me they blocked me

You mean you want to deprive them of power-tripping you...their grand attempt to tell you they've rejected you to the core and your words mean nothing!?

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

You mean you want to deprive them of power-tripping you...their grand attempt to tell you they've rejected you to the core and your words mean nothing!?

Like that's never happened before 😃

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think I saw that in the Bible...one of the 10 commandments.

It's wrong info to point to the Ten Words, but  according to Luke, Mark and Matthew( 10;14) totally OK to show and tell the dislike ... 

Καὶ ὃς ἐὰν μὴ δέξηται ὑμᾶς μηδὲ ἀκούσῃ τοὺς λόγους ὑμῶν, ἐξερχόμενοι τῆς οἰκίας ἢ τῆς πόλεως ἐκείνης, ἐκτινάξατε τὸν κονιορτὸν τῶν ποδῶν ὑμῶν.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

It's not to hard to act simular to a forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was just being silly using fantasy humor.  Imagining some crazy situation where we'd try to get past the rules by pretending to psychotic so we could talk about RL.  I tend to use a lot of fantasy humor...imagining silly, improbable situations.

I wanted to make a graphic with the orange one strolling through my rain forest and saying things about the election, but figured I better not push it!

If you did I'd make one about sleepy uncle joe lost in your rain forest 😂

7 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Normally I wouldn't block anyone, but back and forth sniping leads to someone getting ARed, and kicked from the forums and possibly inworld. In fact i'm pretty sure some people in here bait others just to get a response so they CAN be ARed

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm actually ok with people telling me they blocked me since then I will usually not respond to something they brought up unless I use it as a way to go deeper on a particular topic and will not be expecting a response specifically from that person. I've thought about whether one's profile should list those who someone has blocked as a sort of common courtesy. Would be the same as a:

eaf89899ab8878e45b01bc517703d0ec.jpg

It would be interesting to see who has the biggest blocked list. We could call it the "No Drama" list. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Normally I wouldn't block anyone, but back and forth sniping leads to someone getting ARed, and kicked from the forums and possibly inworld. In fact i'm pretty sure some people in here bait others just to get a response so they CAN be ARed

I never block here - I am rarely logged in to the forae. But I do read and take notes.

'General' is where I tend to find herberts - great place to find who I do not want to interact with when InWorld =^^=

Now that is a thing - block on the forum = block inworld.. ah where is that feature request when you need it

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It would be interesting to see who has the biggest blocked list. We could call it the "No Drama" list. 

It would also be interesting to see who is most often blocked.

• Like 1

The forum already has a garbage section.  It's the General Discussion section.  Anything that doesn't fit under the other sections can go there.  

If a person's only goal is to create conflict, there are other forums to check out that aren't run by the Lab.  

Announcing that you blocked someone is only done for effect and is always off-topic. I will announce my unblock days, though, in the Pet Delights thread where it's not off-topic.  Sometimes that unblocking only lasts until I read the next post, but no one needs to know that except me.  Right now I have 2 people blocked.  Both Master Baiters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have a great scroll wheel on my mouse.
No need to block people.  Someone who is a pain in the ... one post, can post something really interesting the next time.
I don't want to miss that.
We all have bad hair days every now and then.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
20 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was just being silly using fantasy humor.  Imagining some crazy situation where we'd try to get past the rules by pretending to psychotic so we could talk about RL.  I tend to use a lot of fantasy humor...imagining silly, improbable situations.

I wanted to make a graphic with the orange one strolling through my rain forest and saying things about the election, but figured I better not push it!

If you did I'd make one about sleepy uncle joe lost in your rain forest 😂

Yeah, I'd position him on one of my meditation lotuses, waking from a nap, and saying "whaaat?....huhhh?...Russia bombed Chicago?...I'll finish my nap in a few and deal with it".

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

No need to block people.  Someone who is a pain in the ... one post, can post something really interesting the next time.

There was a time when I used to think that too. I found that constantly reading anger and hate had an adverse effect on me. It changed how I engaged with people, turned me bitter and hostile too. I'm a natural hot head with a temper and it got me into a looooot of arguments.

Well I got older and found myself a deeply ugly person for it. To this day, I still don't block most people even if some of them have me go "what the fudge is wrong with you?!". I try to engage with people but I have learned to block folks that are so hateful, their very presence poisons any discourse they touch beyond repair. Whatever they have to say, someone else quite likely can say it better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

My block list is tiny, but even so, I find if someone I have blocked says something interesting then someone else will generally quote it, so that saves me a lot of effort wading through the 'who knows where it comes from' negative emotion hose-pipe of doom to find the pearly rainbows of occasional sense!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Even the "worst" posters have golden moments when they say what everyone in a thread needs to read.

I don't think I have anyone on Ignore currently. If I do, they just aren't posting, or I'd notice.

There are a few users I just won't interact with anymore though, even if they say something that makes my day. Only so much BS that one should have to put up with from others, especially online.

When I do my best to act like a friend and be supportive of someone and all they can do is pull my pigtails and call me stupid-face, well, there was a reason I hated elementary school.

Every clown has a toxic center, in my experience. It's why I've decided to start handling them with a long, pointed stick, lately. So when they pop, I get less of the ick on me, and I'm less likely to pop, myself.

Edit: And yes, I realize the pointed stick might not help them much, but it sure helps me.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Every clown has a toxic center, in my experience. It's why I've decided to start handling them with a long, pointed stick, lately. So when they pop, I get less of the ick on me, and I'm less likely to pop, myself.

Edit: And yes, I realize the pointed stick might not help them much, but it sure helps me.

If you have to use a 10 foot pole to touch someone, it probably helps if that pole has a pointy end too.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you have to use a 10 foot pole to touch someone, it probably helps if that pole has a pointy end too.

That was my reasoning, pretty much. And a Lochaber axe is too messy.

Ruggedly elegant, in a rogue-ish manner, but yeah, messy.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:37 PM, Kathlen Onyx said:

The same point in blocking someone when the person you block constantly replies to your posts even though you can't see the posts. If they are not informed, they rarely notice because they are too busy creating havoc to pay attention. That's putting it nicely.

21 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

The same point in blocking someone when the person you block constantly replies to your posts even though you can't see the posts. If they are not informed, they rarely notice because they are too busy creating havoc to pay attention. That's putting it nicely.

Why does it matter that they keep replying to you while you have them blocked? Why do they need to be informed that they're being ignored, isn't ignoring them enough?

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Why does it matter that they keep replying to you while you have them blocked? Why do they need to be informed that they're being ignored, isn't ignoring them enough?

It might not matter to others when things are said about them that are not true but I'm pretty sure it's upsetting to have those lies believed and that does matter.

If you have never been hounded on a forum (not SL) by someone constantly replying to every post of yours they can find for no other reason than to bad mouth you because you disagreed with them and it goes on for months, years even...

I shouldn't need to point out that some people take every advantage and opportunity to be malicious or just plain nasty towards those who have disagreed with them.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.