Forum needs a garbage section.

PheebyKatz

I think some sort of display about the forums in that welcome center would defo be cool , but the forums are an LL product, so they need to do it. 😂

Darn this post is totally off topic now.

Someone should go start a new one in the general discussion

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I think some sort of display about the forums in that welcome center would defo be cool , but the forums are an LL product, so they need to do it. 😂

This is why we need a trash section, so things like this conversation could end up there and we could continue them instead of it just being considered a derailment whether the OP was willing to see the thread mutation continue or not.

I would love to see threads that "devolve" into really engaging group discussions have the option to just be okay that way.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I think Sid should start the thread. He already came up with some good ideas.

Maybe Pheeby could be in charge of the build project? 

@PheebyKatz, Are you any good at herding cats? You do know how to build stuff, script stuff, and handle problem people with humor.

@Zalificent Corvinus would be great on an advice panel, kind of like Simon Cowell on America's Got Talent.

I love the idea of showcasing the artistic photos here too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@PheebyKatz, Are you any good at herding cats? You do know how to build stuff, script stuff, and handle problem people with humor.

I'll need to finish Hangman's Hill, and I kinda already committed to doing a themed, simwide build for Sci-Fi Con, but after that, sure. Count me in.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think Sid should start the thread. He already came up with some good ideas.

Nope, that will not happen. For me it was just a brain fart this morning. There ends my contribution for now. SL and the forums take already too much time of my life as it is. I like the idea of participating in both events, but I will not play a role in organizing things.

If others want to, feel free to use my idea, I might even have some more when a real organization of the events starts happening.

Edited by Sid Nagy

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

SL and the forums take already too much time of my life as it is.

This is why he would be so good for it. The one best qualified is always the one least willing.

I like to think of it as spending time, because usually I get at least something back. But as Sid already knows, and I can confirm myself, it's a lot of horse puckey to dig through to find a pony sometimes.

I'm glad at least for what time I let you guys take. ^-^ I can think of far worse ways to pass the time in between Blender, building, and the bathroom.

On that note, goodnight, SL. I got a lot to mesh out tomorrow.

Remember you're awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nope, that will not happen. For me it was just a brain fart this morning. There ends my contribution for now. SL and the forums take already too much time of my life as it is. I like the idea of participating in both events, but I will not play a role.

This is one of those times I am thankful for being so easy to forget. At first it hurts but then I realize the bullet(s) I've dodged. I have no interest in being at the bottom of the dog pile when some little thing goes wrong. Not to mention all the times people think they know my mind when in reality they are way off base.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nope, that will not happen. For me it was just a brain fart this morning. There ends my contribution for now. SL and the forums take already too much time of my life as it is. I like the idea of participating in both events, but I will not play a role.

I am always nervous suggesting things as there seems to be a kind of magnetic inevitability that I end up running the thing, and I think @Silent Mistwalker is right about the drama that always follows, so what I am saying is 'good move Sid'.
 @BilliJo Aldrin has it right thought really, in that as this is an official forum then it wouldn't really work in any case. 

On reflection, one of the reasons I like the forum is because I don't have to organise it, or moderate it, or all the other things that need doing to keep communities in good health. I can just turn up!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 4:33 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I think we need l33t sp33k, l0lspeak, and tummy talk sub-forums. Maybe a subforum for people who prefer not using punctuation and paragraphs.

A containment unit for **** like this would be awesome. I mean your post, not the stuff in it.

Coming in behind someone saying nini, and crapping in their thread and all. If you don't like me, you can keep it to yourself, and just leave me alone, instead of just mocking me, right?

Each to their own. Right?

\o

To reiterate: I would love it if this forum had a place for all of the bored, too-clever, compulsive-typing, people who just have to mock everything and insult everyone's intelligence to go and make threads for that, instead of playing "let's try acting like turkey turds some more".

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2024 at 1:40 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'd love to start a thread about the upcoming total eclipse of the sun in April, hear about what other residents of second life will be doing, but of course that is totally forbidden, because It's not about second life

I often stumble over such things only by accident, in unlikely places, in this case, in the Second Life forum, thanks to your signature. I may try to see it in real, if even possible, while having my avi logged into Second Life. Maybe there are people or venues who have total sun eclipse events in SL... I shall try a search when I'm logged into SL again later.

ETA: "Eclipse" would be an awesome last name suggestion, if it doesn't already exist.

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 4

On 2/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Of course I could imagine even a topic as mundane as growing and preserving your own food could become a flame war between the canning camp vs the freeze dried camp. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:26 AM, ValKalAstra said:

I mean - that's more or less what happened. :D Any topic was just one step away from turning into something gender and then things went flying fast.

That's only because men are too stupid to recognize that 1) freeze drying is far more nutritionally sound and doesn't damage the taste of the food, and 2) CANS ARE HARD TO OPEN.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

I often stumble over such things only by accident, in unlikely places, in this case, in the Second Life forum, thanks to your signature. I may try to see it in real, if even possible, while having my avi logged into Second Life. Maybe there are people or venues who have total sun eclipse events in SL... I shall try a search when I'm logged into SL again later.

ETA: "Eclipse" would be an awesome last name suggestion, if it doesn't already exist.

Hope you get to see it in RL. The trouble with it being in April is its in the spring storm season. Best bet for clear skies in the USA is in Texas, closer to Mexico the better. Cloud cover increases as the path of totality moves north and east thru the country.

Ive made plans for Texas since forever, but until we start getting forcasts 10 days out its all guess work.

I could easily end up on the shore of Lake Erie.

Three days out, which is when i start heading for Texas, or cancelling my Texas motel reservations, ill know pretty well for sure where I’ll be.

😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's only because men are too stupid to recognize that 1) freeze drying is far more nutritionally sound and doesn't damage the taste of the food, and 2) CANS ARE HARD TO OPEN.

I think the dragons have got it all figured out. Once they setup the pretty princess protection service, their food is served in self-delivery cans. Just remove the *****ly parts and roast as desired.

Done, one freshly barbecued knight.

/edit: Oh for BLEEP sake just how BLEEP many BLEEP innocent words are BLEEP censored by now. Okay let me  grab my thesaurus and see what else would fit.

And Nina is back with this bit of wisdom: Thesaurus recommends: complicated, knotty, nettlesome, ticklish, tricky as synonyms. Ticklish? Theoretically, all the swords and pike might tickle a dragon? Okay, ticklish.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2024 at 6:40 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'd love to start a thread about the upcoming total eclipse of the sun in April, hear about what other residents of second life will be doing, but of course that is totally forbidden, because It's not about second life

Just say you're watching the eclipse from your home on the Mainland, BilliJo. That for some strange reason, it's visible in the sky there.

They can't argue with psychosis!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Just say you're watching the eclipse from your home on the Mainland, BilliJo. That for some strange reason, it's visible in the sky there.

A properly folded tinfoil hat of the appropriate thickness should literally do the trick!

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 1:28 PM, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply is Luna.

Usually, you are a nice person.

*shrug*

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 1:32 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

A properly folded tinfoil hat of the appropriate thickness should literally do the trick!

Occasionally I'll read one of your post to confirm, that yes, I should continue to keep you blocked

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Occasionally I'll read one of your post to confirm, that yes, I should continue to keep you blocked

This is why a garbage section won't work. Was it really necessary to post on the forum your continued intent to block another member?  That's simply mean spirited.

Also most of the people that used to start all the political posts aren't even participating in this thread.

I'm probably one of the few that was very happy with the change.  What exactly are you going to promote as the forum is now just for resident support?   I see this as becoming a disaster but shrugs, go for it.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

*shrug*

I didn't get a mean intent but just a way to make the subject to be about SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

This is why a garbage section won't work. Was it really necessary to post on the forum your continued intent to block another member?  That's simply mean spirited.

Also most of the people that used to start all the political posts aren't even participating in this thread.

I'm probably one of the few that was very happy with the change.  What exactly are you going to promote as the forum is now just for resident support?   I see this as becoming a disaster but shrugs, go for it.

One can only cringe so much before saying enough is enough and having to block a poster who is rarely on topic. It is in fact a protection to the one being blocked because they will no longer be responded to either and that will result in their feelings not being hurt when one might respond caustically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
On 3/7/2024 at 12:28 PM, Luna Bliss said:

*shrug*

I was just being silly using fantasy humor.  Imagining some crazy situation where we'd try to get past the rules by pretending to psychotic so we could talk about RL.  I tend to use a lot of fantasy humor...imagining silly, improbable situations.

I wanted to make a graphic with the orange one strolling through my rain forest and saying things about the election, but figured I better not push it!