Forum needs a garbage section.

PheebyKatz

In my humble opinion, I believe this forum would benefit from having a garbage section.

It might seem like it's more to moderate, but giving people a section of the forum for when they are bored and feel like discussing off-topic things is, in my experience, a beneficial thing.

I see users who are bitter about the forum being about what it's about, and wishing they had more freedom to simply talk about whatever. When there is no off-topic section on a forum, there is nowhere for any of that to go, and it bottles up, and people leak off-topic and bitter and all sorts of things all over the place, to the detriment (read, derailment) of otherwise interesting threads.

When there's nowhere for this stuff to go, it leaks all over. When there's a section for it, even if that section sees little activity because nobody wants to start a topic in the "trash" forum, it does seem to lessen  the amount of it in other topics.

Just a suggestion.

EDIT: I see an emoji. Let me clarify.

Every (other) successful and healthy (yes there are healthy forums) forum I've ever participated in has had a Spam, Garbage, Off-Topic or Trash forum.

General isn't usually inclusive enough, as forums tend to have an overall topic of common interest, and subtopics or subsections of related things, and so forth, and then things in a General section tend to either get a bit spammy or get derailed, as it is closest to being "off-topic".

Having a dedicated section to either move derailed/mutated topics to, or to start off-main-theme topics in is a good thing, I think.

Even letting people make threads about TV shows.

Just saying, it's worked at other places, and people can always just point at the "off-topic" forum instead of getting upset by things veering off-topic. It works.

At least I've seen it work.

I myself would like it, too.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'd love to start a thread about the upcoming total eclipse of the sun in April, hear about what other residents of second life will be doing, but of course that is totally forbidden, because It's not about second life

Yeah, see, I think a lot of people would like (aside from politics and religion, because fights) to be able to post about things "out there", even just to see how others "in here" are relating to them. Especially if it's stuff that people can participate in regardless of geographical location. Like, sure, maybe the running of the bulls in Spain is completely off-topic, but things like major events that everyone can relate to, well, sometimes people in SL have their own takes on these things as well, and takes that are interesting from the standpoint of a resident of SL.

But even junk like someone posts about whether they like soccer (football) or not, really. Even people who disagree about politics, religion, and Second Life sometimes find their common ground in such things sometimes, and the more people find they have in common, the less they tend to act like unfeeling automatons or worse to one another.

Because maybe just a little bit of ordinary chatter and socializing might not be so harmful. Maybe.

A healthy body often even includes a spleen, for that matter. The Peeve thread is one of the most popular. Everyone needs to spit up some ugh now and then. It's part of a healthy forum, I think, having at least one designated place for things "nobody else" wants to see.

EDIT: And I get that football (soccer) was a bad analogy for people getting along with one another. I did say earlier I was making more coffee.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I myself would like it, too.

no thanks, the GD is trashy enough already.
It's for a reason that path was closed some years ago.

It's always possible to start a own forum for that.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

My main objection is that I don't like to create threads, and I've been to other forums where they will snip out your post which removes the context it was created in, and then create a new thread from it. Thankfully, it only has happened to me once, it was regarding Will Smith's slap felt around the world, and it was not really meant to be a stand alone thread.  It kind of puts me in a place I would rather not be in.  

Not that I would object to SL removing the newer rule where we can only discuss SL related stuff.  

1 hour ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

It didn't occur to me that there wasn't an off-topic section, I wonder why not? It is such a common thing elsewhere.
Maybe it would be seen as too much work for the mods?

The basic premise of this forum is that it is  ONLY about Second Life, nothing else is allowed.

7 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Yeah, see, I think a lot of people would like (aside from politics and religion, because fights) to be able to post about things "out there", even just to see how others "in here" are relating to them. Especially if it's stuff that people can participate in regardless of geographical location. Like, sure, maybe the running of the bulls in Spain is completely off-topic, but things like major events that everyone can relate to, well, sometimes people in SL have their own takes on these things as well, and takes that are interesting from the standpoint of a resident of SL.

But even junk like someone posts about whether they like soccer (football) or not, really. Even people who disagree about politics, religion, and Second Life sometimes find their common ground in such things sometimes, and the more people find they have in common, the less they tend to act like unfeeling automatons or worse to one another.

Because maybe just a little bit of ordinary chatter and socializing might not be so harmful. Maybe.

A healthy body often even includes a spleen, for that matter. The Peeve thread is one of the most popular. Everyone needs to spit up some ugh now and then. It's part of a healthy forum, I think, having at least one designated place for things "nobody else" wants to see.

EDIT: And I get that football (soccer) was a bad analogy for people getting along with one another. I did say earlier I was making more coffee.

Perhaps it never occurred to the esteemed Lindens that we are not stand alone creations in Second Life that do not exist anywhere else. I bring my whole being with me when I log in, I'm not just a cartoon playing a game. I talk about real life all the time while I'm inworld. Why shouldn't I be able to do the same here?

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Perhaps it never occurred to the esteemed Lindens that we are not stand alone creations in Second Life that do not exist anywhere else. I bring my whole being with me when I log in, I'm not just a cartoon playing a game. I talk about real life all the time while I'm inworld. Why shouldn't I be able to do the same here?

Heck, I'm a character from someone's stories, and even I can't stay fixated entirely. Even I have a 1st life somewhere.

Also, forum games. There would be more engaging and better spam threads overall if there was even just a tiny little section specially for them.

I can understand if they tried it, and just wound up doing it this way because maybe SL users are a particular crapfest on forums, it just sucks that the litter gets all over the place instead of having a designated spot.

And no, I'm not going to some other forum. Nice try, though.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

An off topic section would be useful for keeping the on-topic sections on topic. People need a space to blabber.

Of course the noisiest threads would be culture war/rage bait/politics. Not sure we want those, probably better discussed in-world where fires don't spread too fast when people say stupid things lol

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe we just need a well-publicized list of "grandfathered off-topic threads"?

- "Just forget this one and let it die"

- "Pet Peeve"

- "Pet Delights"

- "What are you listening to"

etc.

most of those ar far past their lifetime, should be closed and end the endless repeating posts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most of those ar far past their lifetime, should be closed and end the endless repeating posts.

Maybe what is needed here, could be a facility to ignore certain threads? I know some people have asked for that in relation to the land adverts etc.
I don't mind the social threads,  the pet peeve one in particular can be quite interesting or entertaining.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

The same could be said for the vast majority of SL only related threads. Twenty years of the same topics being brought up over and over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we will ever get an off topic section again. Mostly because LindenLab was a lot more lenient about these things not too long ago and what they got as thank you was a lot of angry in-fighting, flamewars, name calling and just an overall political sludgefest. They rigorously shut that down and in the process, shut everything not strictly related to SL down as well. I can say, the Forum has gotten a lot more peaceful since - but it also has gotten a lot more chilling.

However to a company, peace and quiet is worth more than ugly mud fights over super charged US politics. They could give us an off topic forum but that would mean inviting all of that back in and needing to moderate things more actively again - yah I don't think that will happen. It's just easier for them to occasionally boop folks if they get too off topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

I don't think we will ever get an off topic section again. Mostly because LindenLab was a lot more lenient about these things not too long ago and what they got as thank you was a lot of angry in-fighting, flamewars, name calling and just an overall political sludgefest. They rigorously shut that down and in the process, shut everything not strictly related to SL down as well. I can say, the Forum has gotten a lot more peaceful since - but it also has gotten a lot more chilling.

However to a company, peace and quiet is worth more than ugly mud fights over super charged US politics. They could give us an off topic forum but that would mean inviting all of that back in and needing to moderate things more actively again - yah I don't think that will happen. It's just easier for them to occasionally boop folks if they get too off topic.

It doesn’t need to include politics or any other topic that inflames passions, just RL topics as opposed to SL topics.

Of course I could imagine even a topic as mundane as growing and preserving your own food could become a flame war between the canning camp vs the freeze dried camp. 

😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Of course I could imagine even a topic as mundane as growing and preserving your own food could become a flame war between the canning camp vs the freeze dried camp. 

I mean - that's more or less what happened. :D Any topic was just one step away from turning into something gender and then things went flying fast.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Actually, one of my favourite threads was when we were watching the England vs Italy Euro '21 final on the forum...started with me and Amina and Krystina, then others joined in...I can't remember any fighting  

I miss the old non-SL threads too, there were some fun ones a few years ago :) But I don't think they'll ever return, because too many ended up with off-topic arguments...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Actually, one of my favourite threads was when we were watching the England vs Italy Euro '21 final on the forum...started with me and Amina and Krystina, then others joined in...I can't remember any fighting  

I miss the old non-SL threads too, there were some fun ones a few years ago :) But I don't think they'll ever return, because too many ended up with off-topic arguments...

Even the Pet Peeves and Make Me Laugh threads seem to be on thin ice at times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Even the Pet Peeves and Make Me Laugh threads seem to be on thin ice at times.

Yes...Make Me Laugh has been gnarly recently 9_9 

I was actually quite sad when the Covid support/peeve threads got locked. I found it really interesting sharing advice and info, and seeing how others were coping, but they both ended with people getting confrontational, or going on about the US election...:|

Edited by Rat Luv
it didn't like me saying pr1ckly, lol
  • Like 2