Forum needs a garbage section.

PheebyKatz

I found the forums much more fun and engaging in the past when we could have more conversations about non-SL things.  Not the political or religious crud, but just general LIFE.  I don't participate here near as much as I used to.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I found the forums much more fun and engaging in the past when we could have more conversations about non-SL things.  Not the political or religious crud, but just general LIFE.  I don't participate here near as much as I used to.

You were one of the standouts back when you posted more (meant as a compliment)!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand WHY we don't have an off-topic area -- because LL doesn't want to moderate it.  Experience on other forums shows that the off-topic stuff often requires much more moderation effort and LL just doesn't want to do that.  Tis their house, so their rules, but I can still hate it and think negatively of them for it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's weird to think how much of it WAS non-SL around 2020-2021...I remember threads about gross foods, cats, dogs and rats, WWYD RL situations and telepathy xD 

Wasn't there a hurricane watch thread too around that time? 

It seemed to all change when the Queen died, the RL threads started getting locked until they made the announcement...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 5

I had a thought, also. Partly because someone mentioned same old threads for twenty years.

The majority of people that I ever even mention the forums to ask me, "what forums?" I don't think that many people really even know this resource is here.

If they did, sure, we would probably get a lot more posts by people who just need to learn to use the search function, but there'd also be a lot more actual SL related activity by those who really could use some of the knowledge the people on this forum are able to give.

Without as many people asking questions about things to help them learn more about SL, the people here who have active enough brains that they can help might not feel they have as much reason to look in on the forums as often. So maybe rather than trying to find more ways to keep the forum regulars from going bonkers or getting bored, we could find ways to get more of the newer userbase to actually look here and learn stuff.

I know it might sound dumb, but maybe bringing people who need help and people who like helping together with this awesome resource we have here would actually help improve the place overall.

In general, I think the forums are way nicer than they used to be. I just kind of wish we had more opportunities to share what the community here has.

We have some of the most knowledgable people here, and not just SL-related, either. And people new inworld often can't figure out how to wear an alpha. Finding the forums was one of the best things that ever happened for my SL, because so many of the skills I make use of inworld, I learned here.

It kind of makes people want to stay around and be here and pay it forward, when they get something like that.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

The majority of people that I ever even mention the forums to ask me, "what forums?" I don't think that many people really even know this resource is here.

It's always been that way.  A very small percentage of the SL user base has ever come to the forums.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I had a thought, also. Partly because someone mentioned same old threads for twenty years.

If they did, sure, we would probably get a lot more posts by people who just need to learn to use the search function, but there'd also be a lot more actual SL related activity by those who really could use some of the knowledge the people on this forum are able to give.

Without as many people asking questions about things to help them learn more about SL, the people here who have active enough brains that they can help might not feel they have as much reason to look in on the forums as often. So maybe rather than trying to find more ways to keep the forum regulars from going bonkers or getting bored, we could find ways to get more of the newer userbase to actually look here and learn stuff.

I know it might sound dumb, but maybe bringing people who need help and people who like helping together with this awesome resource we have here would actually help improve the place overall.

In general, I think the forums are way nicer than they used to be. I just kind of wish we had more opportunities to share what the community here has.

We have some of the most knowledgable people here, and not just SL-related, either. And people new inworld often can't figure out how to wear an alpha. Finding the forums was one of the best things that ever happened for my SL, because so many of the skills I make use of inworld, I learned here.

It kind of makes people want to stay around and be here and pay it forward, when they get something like that.

New user comes in, starts a thread.... "How do I wear an alpha to keep my body from sticking through my clothes"

A snarky adviser (the one I have blocked) replies, "why didn't you do a forum search instead of wasting our time with this tenth thread on alphas?"

Chastized noob leaves, never to return.

Personally, I find the SL forum not a very nice place at all, it's very cliquey, and oh so biased in one direction.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed something
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Personally, I find the SL forum not a very nice place at all, it's very cliquey, and oh so biased in one direction.

Sounds like a challenge, to me. I'm up for it. I like a challenge. I'm not the only one, either.

<-<

>->

^-^;

Edited by PheebyKatz

8 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

What would you include?

Never gave it much thought, it popped up spontaneous just now.
But it could include
- media on prims with the different sections of the forums.
- a few live discussion sessions about Secondlife
- Maybe a DJ event or two
- presence of forumnites to talk to
- Give away of a free car...  :D

- communication classes by Zali maybe?

- Let the ideas role in.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But it could include

Maybe some quotes from people who enjoy the forum or who have found it helpful?
Links to topics particularly helpful to newbies?

• Like 2

I'm down with all of these ideas, serious or not.

If we did a thing for an SLB, I would want a panel discussion with Rowan, at very least. She very much "gets it" all from the standpoint of someone who found SL and just ran with it and became knowledgable in things a lot of new people could probably benefit from.

Some of the Scripting Section people are so amazingly overloaded with useful knowledge, a panel with some of them would be as good as a six-week class anywhere else, probably.

Just about every part of this forum has people who, in my opinion, should be known all over the grid by name. For good things, at that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The forum sure has got a lot less interesting since the new rules.   I guess that was the idea bore us to death.  Not being able to talk about anything is just awkward. 🤐

Yup, but their circus .... etc.

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Yup, but their circus .... etc.

Their forum, their rules.

*nods*

I get it now. It's all a conspiracy to get us all to spend more time inworld.

Verrry sneeeeaky.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I'm down with all of these ideas, serious or not.

If we did a thing for an SLB, I would want a panel discussion with Rowan, at very least. She very much "gets it" all from the standpoint of someone who found SL and just ran with it and became knowledgable in things a lot of new people could probably benefit from.

Some of the Scripting Section people are so amazingly overloaded with useful knowledge, a panel with some of them would be as good as a six-week class anywhere else, probably.

Just about every part of this forum has people who, in my opinion, should be known all over the grid by name. For good things, at that.

Great ideas Pheeby.

There should also be an exhibition of some of the excellent photo's that are shown here on the forums regularly by forumnites.

And some pictures of our two most favorite forum Moles.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But it could include

- Let the ideas role in.

I'll log in my alt... Phorumities

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe we should build something for the next SLB exhibition, to create awareness under SL's residents.

49 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

... it could include

- Let the ideas role in.

This is a good idea. The forum is a community too. Why wait for SLB21 though?  We could start with the Community Exhibit at the Welcome Hub.

The forums can be off-putting to newbies though. Younger people are probably not used to having to read so much or the land mine social dynamics of a group of people from such diverse perspectives and communication styles. I find forum drama to be part of the fun, but it can also be an emotional roller coaster at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Great ideas.

There should also be an exhibition of some of the excellent photo's that are shown here on the forums regularly by forumnites.

And some pictures of our two most favorite forum Moles.

I miss seeing Dakota, but yeah, we got good Mole. I very much like Violet Mole, also, but she does the Welcome Hub.

And personally, I think they could probably do a banging new forum banner with what I've seen posted by our regulars. We do have some real artists here. I actually really like that people have threads for all of the pictures and stuff, it's one of the best things about the forum. Getting to see what other people are doing with themselves is always inspiring.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The forum sure has got a lot less interesting since the new rules.   I guess that was the idea bore us to death.  Not being able to talk about anything is just awkward. 🤐

And be oh so careful if you make a joke or smart ass reply, or even better, just don't. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And be oh so careful if you make a joke or smart ass reply, or even better, just don't. 😂

Sometimes I think it's people being oversensitive, and sometimes I think it's just that everyone here has very high and easily disappointed expectations for every post, just because we're all so awesome. XD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The perception about what is acceptable in a joke is changing worldwide very fast. Not only here on the forums.

• Like 4