Anybody ever make an alt to try to befriend someone who de-friended you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Now that I've grabbed Terry Pratchett as my male alt name, I'll start posting witty remarks in his account IN ALL CAPS TO DISGUISE THAT I AM NOT REALLY HIM, BUT RATHER THE REAPER.

You do know that he's no longer with us, yes? No need for such a disguise ;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

You're right, it doesn't really matter, and there's no way of proving it anyway! 

I bet the Moles and Lindens have a laugh sometimes though if they check IP addresses xD

I'll let you in on a little secret. If the feature is on (it can be set to allow only admin/global mods/mods), they don't have to go looking for an IP, it shows up on each and every post.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I meant disguising my male alt as Death. I actually cried when I heard Terry had died, gosh, 8 years ago now. Has it been that long?

I liked Death - in Discworld, of course :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

The only reason I could see for anyone doing this, is because of a failed relationship. But really, the relationship is with the person behind the keyboard. It's not going to change things with an alt. 

• Like 1

Anybody ever make an alt to try to befriend someone who de-friended you?

Nope. I have zero intention of running after someone who defriended/rejected me. What for? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The question is kind of specific so how about has anyone used a different gendered alt from their main to be friends with someone who has a preference for that of the alt.

I'm jacked up on theraflu right now.. Are you trying to make me dizzy!! \o/

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Haha, yes it confused me too on rereading it this morning.

What I was trying to say by example is like the guy I didn't want to friend who then pointed out maybe he would have more luck if he came with his female Alt. I didn't want to friend him because he smacked a little bit of desperation and offering that emphasized the point. There have been other times in past where I have met someone that I wondered if they were someone I knew already and that using a different alt they were trying to take the relationship further than we had gone with their original account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Sambucus (black elderberry) works better and benefits your liver. And it tastes good! Seriously!

Gummies, syrup, lozenges...

image.png.fc33b79bee2649151f3f1c0836cff3a3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sambucus (black elderberry) works better and benefits your liver. And it tastes good! Seriously!

Gummies, syrup, lozenges...

image.png.fc33b79bee2649151f3f1c0836cff3a3.png

Im growing elderberry in my back yard, not for the medicinal value, but because its a cool spreading shrub the birds will enjoy

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 6:43 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Indeed...seems creepy to me.

I think people do it to have a sense of power over the person that hurt them by unfriending them.  It's a kind of passive-aggressive form of griefing.

I spontaneously misread that as "grieving" for a moment. But realising you wrote "griefing", I guess it could actually be both, in a way. If they'd not really grieve about the loss of that friendship, why go to the deceitful lengths of gaining back a former friend vs. making a new one. It's still a twisted thing to do, and unfair towards the grieved/griefed person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:
On 1/5/2024 at 11:43 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Indeed...seems creepy to me.

I think people do it to have a sense of power over the person that hurt them by unfriending them.  It's a kind of passive-aggressive form of griefing.

I spontaneously misread that as "grieving" for a moment. But realising you wrote "griefing", I guess it could actually be both, in a way. If they'd not really grieve about the loss of that friendship, why go to the deceitful lengths of gaining back a former friend vs. making a new one. It's still a twisted thing to do, and unfair towards the grieved/griefed person.

Yeah makes sense.

I think all anger is simply saying, in greater or lesser degree, "I don't like feeling hurt".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Danielle Atheria said:

Most people who know me know my alts names and why I created them

i only know of 1 person right now who has and still is doing this. I promised not to tell.

Why would they bother? It's not helpful in any way. 

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah makes sense.

I think all anger is simply saying, in greater or lesser degree, "I don't like feeling hurt".

Or more succinctly, I don't want to be used and abused in a non BDSM sense.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What I was trying to say by example is like the guy I didn't want to friend who then pointed out maybe he would have more luck if he came with his female Alt. I didn't want to friend him because he smacked a little bit of desperation and offering that emphasized the point. There have been other times in past where I have met someone that I wondered if they were someone I knew already and that using a different alt they were trying to take the relationship further than we had gone with their original account.

I recall a relationship drama thing some time back along those lines. Guy was rejected, used a female alt to be close friends, then pulled the "surprise, I'm that guy!" and thought it would end with a romantic/sexual relationship. Stuff like that happens. It doesn't end well. It usually just confirms that the person was right to reject / unfriend / block in the first place.

I wouldn't get too paranoid about it though, because someone doing that will reveal what they're doing pretty quickly. They want you to know, because the whole point was to prove you wrong (by doing something that proves you were right).

• Like 3

On 1/5/2024 at 1:09 AM, SodaGnome said:

It's like a second chance or do-over that one never gets in real life.  But I will admit is sounds very weird and stalker-ish.

Nah... why would I bother?  They're either someone who doesn't like me, for fair reasons or foul, or it could be as simple as the friendship has run its course.  With the former, if I offended someone to the point where they unfriended me, then that's what we call consequences; even if I think the reason I've been unfriended is bogus, I've learned that people ultimately believe what they want, and anything I have to say won't have any bearing on what they perceive to be the facts of the matter.  For the latter, relationships can 100% have expiration dates; friendship is no exception.

My alts are generally for cruising shopping events or hanging out uninterrupted.  My guy alt is unabashedly me, down to his profile practically screaming it.  My friends know who all of them are, and I'm blatantly obvious with some, like AjayMcDowwll Alter.  I had to make her just to grab that last name :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bagnu said:
17 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah makes sense.

Or more succinctly, I don't want to be used and abused in a non BDSM sense.

I think it works better to tell someone you're feeling hurt by their actions because you like having your own choices (or whatever) rather than telling them they're using and abusing you. The latter would produce a defensive reaction while telling them how you personally are feeling (hurt) would more likely cause them to hear you.  But only with the right person who actually cares about you, of course, and would not be wanting you to feel hurt.

• Like 1

I personally know of at least 3 people, and have heard countless tales of others, who have made as few as 9 and as many as 40+ alts in order to attempt to re-contact people who have blocked them, in most cases even going so far as to use multiple alts for purposes like intelligence gathering, political influencing via gossip, etc., and so forth.

In the majority of cases, I think they just can't let go of anything voluntarily, so when a person detaches from them, they go after them via deception, so they feel like they still have some control, while also managing to avoid confronting themselves concerning it.

Sometimes they get so uptight they go looking for revenge. I think they should just puff a doobie or something and learn to ease up.

I'm just like, dude, there's how many sims, and how many people you could be getting to know instead? If it's about closure, send them a n/c via a mutual acquaintance, but dang, learn when to let go.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

I've never done this or had it happen, that I know of, but if the person already owned the alt, I can definitely understand why they might contact the one who blocked them (though not anonymously, that's weird)

If someone defriended me I likely wouldn't even notice, never mind want to chase them with my alt. Then again, if you met my alt, you'd know immediately on looking at their profile that they're my alt. The only differences are the lack of boobies and brown hair instead of red.

I won't let my alt near the forum. All they'll do is make snarky comments at me. 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.