About "LookAt" targets

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've never used the function to see others' LookAt targets until today, and I have never disabled others from seeing my own LookAt targets. With that said, I decided to test the function to look at others and my own targets today for a little while (at Social Island 10, of all places.)

Maybe it's because of the way I use the camera (I basically use the viewer's HUD to control it), but my own LookAt targets don't seem accurate. I know I am focused on one thing but my target's crosshairs are pointed at something else (where my avatar is looking, not where the camera is focused on.) I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but those are my observations about the feature.

A couple of questions for you to answer if you want:

-Do you use the option to look at others' LookAt targets?

-Do you prevent others from looking at your LookAt targets?

As I mentioned above, my answer to both questions is no.

• Like 4

I don't care what other people look at, so I never use their Look At targets.

I always disable mine, because I like to look at other people and don't want them to get upset about that. I'm a snoop. Sometimes I look to see people nearby in my neighborhood. I also like to read profiles. When I'm shopping, I may look at what others are wearing, but only read their profile if they look interesting.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't care what other people look at, so I never use their Look At targets.

I always disable mine, because I like to look at other people and don't want them to get upset about that. I'm a snoop. Sometimes I look to see people nearby in my neighborhood. I also like to read profiles. When I'm shopping, I may look at what others are wearing, but only read their profile if they look interesting.

I guess that's a good reason to disable your own, to avoid upsetting other people.

• Like 2

I have my viewer set  so that I can see if someone is looking at me.  No real reason  other than that I just like to know.   I haven't  disabled my look at beacon, as I don't have any problem with others knowing I'm looking at them. 

As an aside, it's interesting to see how many males on SL use their Superman like ability to look through walls when there's a woman nearby in a changing room......

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess that's a good reason to disable your own, to avoid upsetting other people.

It doesn't really work though.

I've sat myself and alt there side by side before and on one of them I will toggle every option to stop broadcasting what I am looking at, and on the other one I will flip on every "I'm crazy and paranoid" option and yeah - the paranoid alt can see what SL says the other alt is lookin at. That noted - it's very often NOT what's in my camera, but it does have some relationship to things I have done to my camera even if it's showing something I was never looking at.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I've sat myself and alt there side by side before and on one of them I will toggle every option to stop broadcasting what I am looking at, and on the other one I will flip on every "I'm crazy and paranoid" option and yeah - the paranoid alt can see what SL says the other alt is lookin at. That noted - it's very often NOT what's in my camera, but it does have some relationship to things I have done to my camera even if it's showing something I was never looking at.

This is good to know.  A little story:

A few months ago (a blink of the eye in my SL time), an.."immature" (judge much) person gave me the "lol, what are you looking at?"  Of course, they were being nosy-curious (whether they thought I was looking at them or not).

It had been so long, years, since I had thought about this feature that I had no idea what they were talking about.  I always have it set so I have no idea what others are looking at.  

In retrospect, I wish that I had said something wise such as, "I'm not looking at anything in particular, you should consider turning that feature off".  (There are many more "less kind" things that I could think of saying.)

I found it intrusive, awkward, paranoid, etc. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I've sat myself and alt there side by side before and on one of them I will toggle every option to stop broadcasting what I am looking at, and on the other one I will flip on every "I'm crazy and paranoid"

It does work, at least on Firestorm. Some other viewers that don't actually hide it completely, but freeze lookat position in front of avatar might work differently, though. There's not really many lookat settings in debug either. So the list of "crazy and paranoid" options would be nice. That said some settings only take the effect after relog and/or teleport.

---

As for the topic itself, I have both own and others' lookat disabled at all times. They serve no purpose and get on the way.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

I like to leave them off (and with privacy on.)  Sometimes we'll be hanging at a club and a friend will say "Ohh looks like someone is interested" or some such comment. I get it, I used to leave them on but the whole dance of exchanging crosshairs across a crowded room doesn't really work for me. Hello is better!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't really worry about them too much and leave them on.. I don't really came up on people and if someone is camming on me, it can be a good indicator of an in coming IM sometimes.. So I'll usually get the name of the person camming me and then pull up their profile from the radar.. this way I have an idea of who it is if they do IM.. plus it gives me an excuse to check out their profile.. hehehe

I love looking at profiles..

• Like 6

I'm kind of hypocritical in how I use it. I like seeing who looks at my avatar. It's a bit of vanity and like it was mentioned, you can just tell when there's an incoming instant message.

However I've turned my own look at off. There are some moderately unhinged people on the grid. The only drama I ever got into was over a look at indicator. One example was that I was at a shopping event, cammed somewhere (an ad, not a person), went afk and came back to someone blowing up something nuclear in my instant messages over gawking at their partner.

It has been turned off since. Too much of a drama magnet.

• Like 3

Just now, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Firestorm is where I've done my tests. It doesn't fully work.

Did you relog/teleported out and back with the 1st avatar? During my tests (not tonight and not even recently, but a while ago when I was curious about the same thing) it didn't fully work if first avatar had privacy settings turned off at first, then turned on (or off/on/off cycle). The lookat target did stick around and while was unreliable it was still somewhat active. But if it was enabled prior to testing, then it was working at intended on both avatars.

That's assuming you did stick to available Firestorm's settings and didn't went further to compile FS with some changes. In which case I do remember reading it was possible to change some lookat behavior that way, but it also has been a while ago.

6 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

my own LookAt targets don't seem accurate. I know I am focused on one thing but my target's crosshairs are pointed at something else 

I never paid attention to that feature, so it's always been the standard settings, whichever those were, for me... until I happened to hear or read about dramatic persons causing drama over "crosshairing" :D where said "crosshairing" didn't even occur, because, not accurate, or accident, or something. Since that, I've turned it off, seemed a neglectable waste of time compared to potential dramatic botherances. 

• Like 2

I disable my look at targets simply because I do not want my head to twist around like I am in the exorcist. The only time I have ever enabled showing look at targets was at event once when I wanted to see how popular some vendors were over others. I do not care where people look and people that get all upset because someone dares to look at them probably need to think long and hard about why they are getting upset after spending L$ to look good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

No, and no. I do not mind people looking at me, I spend a lot of time and effort in my avatar - so please LOOK AT MEEEE!
Likewise, I look at others, I've not had a complaint in years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think the LL viewer has that option. And if it has, I never found it.
And rightfully so IMHO. It is a source for SL drama.
Since I'm a passionate LL viewer user ...... my answer is, where the arrow points to.

<---------------------------

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Personally, no to both. Mostly because I find them unsightly; and secondly it really doesn't matter in the long run. We look at each other, that's what we do. Staring at each other's avatars is most peoples past time here, so I'm not sure what the whole commitment to acting like we don't peek at whoever just dropping in next to us at an event, or some such.

As other people have said, I can see the reason for turning your own off for either drama reasons because people find the strangest things to be mad at (Why be angry someone's appreciating you? Silly to me.) or for animation-based reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't think the LL viewer has that option. And if it has, I never found it.
And rightfully so IMHO. It is a source for SL drama.
Since I'm a passionate LL viewer user ...... my answer is, where the arrow points to.

<---------------------------

I found the option to turn on/off "see" and "show" LookAt targets in the official viewer Advanced (/Developer) menu.

That's the only place I found it, mine were both "off" and someone saw mine anyway..I asked earlier where to look in the Official viewer  option options but I think no one replied.

Older threads put it in the Developer menu.

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.