One thing or person that you wish you can get back in SL?

FelicityPage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Feeling nostalgic. For me, *thinks*...ok I got it! That feeling of pure wonder and curiosity when within your first month of SL. Not the frustrating parts but being in a new kind of world. Exploring all over, learning about others, making funny mistakes...it reminded me of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, when they first went to Narnia. I still do have some wonder and curiosity but a lot less because when you know about a lot of something, it can become "old hat". 

What's yours?

• Like 10

Looking back fills me with nostalgia and horror. I made my own homes back then - ok they were mostly ugly concrete boxes but they were low prim. Being pre-mesh meant people of all abilities could and did learn to create their own stuff without the need for any 3rd party apps. It was simpler to help out a new resident then too as you did not have to wade through mesh bodies, heads, appliers or BoM and lord knows what else! Simpler times but (and I do have photographic evidence) we looked awful!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, North Pole said:

Looking back fills me with nostalgia and horror. I made my own homes back then - ok they were mostly ugly concrete boxes but they were low prim. Being pre-mesh meant people of all abilities could and did learn to create their own stuff without the need for any 3rd party apps. It was simpler to help out a new resident then too as you did not have to wade through mesh bodies, heads, appliers or BoM and lord knows what else! Simpler times but (and I do have photographic evidence) we looked awful!

I have a 1/4 sim of land on a private region and also have a place on the water in Bellisseria.. on the 1/4 sim on the ground I have a nice beach and mesh house that I bought the pieces and put together  which feels really nice..  In Belli I have a house boat on the water.. But in both places, I'm much happier up in the air at about 3k to 4k meters on my platforms..not really just platforms but big square rooms that feel like a warehouse..

I haven't found too many homes that are really that roomy and usually feel cramped..

As far as getting nostalgic about the past.. I might start off on a good road, but it always leads to cringe at some point.. So I tend to not do that as much as I used to.. hehehe

• Like 2

It would be interesting if it was possible to have a reunion with the group that I was part of in 2007/2008.
But everybody left over the years, or possibly switched to alts, so I guess that will not happen any time soon.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was learning at a fantastic pace during my first three or four years in SL. Everything was new to me. I had to pick up building and texturing skills that I never knew even existed, and I had to learn LSL ( a very different sort of scripting environment than I had ever known). I had some highly talented mentors like Void Singer, but most of the people I learned from were barely more experienced than I was. It was all very heady.

As time has gone on, much of what I learned back then has become "old hat" or has become obsolete knowledge. LL has added new features and tools at an accelerating rate, so it's still an exciting race to keep up with everything. At the same time, though, I find myself in a paradoxical spot. I am now one of the "old hands" who mentors newcomers but I have also hit my own limits so I don't understand some of the new features and probably never will.  In an odd way, my SL has developed some gray, fuzzy "unknown" territories; years ago, the unknown territories were all hazy but well-lighted and welcoming.

All of this says much more about me than about SL, of course. After all, I can say exactly the same things about RL.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

For me, it would be Freedom Continent, where I spent most of my first year in Second Life. That was my introduction to the adult side and D/s. Sadly it has shrunk away to a fraction of what it once was.

Coghaven, another area I occasionally hung out at, is still going but has moved a few times and some areas have shut down and gone.

I lost contact with a few friends from that time, no idea if they're still around in Second Life.

I am, however, still filled with wonder and curiosity, and occasionally stumble onto hidden gems on my travels around the Grid. :)

(Forgot to add: mastered working with prims and managing my inventory early on, thank goodness, and still make use of that knowledge today.)

Edited by Spiffy Voxel
Remembered something I wanted to add right after hitting the Submit button. *facepalm*
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FelicityPage said:

Feeling nostalgic. For me, *thinks*...ok I got it! That feeling of pure wonder and curiosity when within your first month of SL. Not the frustrating parts but being in a new kind of world. Exploring all over, learning about others, making funny mistakes...it reminded me of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, when they first went to Narnia. I still do have some wonder and curiosity but a lot less because when you know about a lot of something, it can become "old hat". 

What's yours?

Thinking about this gives me butterflies in my stomach (real life).

Last night I had a conversation with someone from my real life past, cleared up some misunderstandings, and it felt so good.

I suppose I'd like to go through the back of the wardrobe to when I lived at Quincentival with my then partner and mentor. We had the kind of relationship where if we were in real life we would have talked with our hands and our feet! Our real life personal issues marred our Second Life enjoyment, and for various reasons there were too many misunderstandings, but for sure my happiest times were when I lived with him in Quincentival, in our lovely big house with the cinema room where we would meet up either just before he set off for his real life work, or when he would come "home" to me afterwards. 

We had some fun/funny adventures, but some ridiculous disagreements, and there is absolutely no going back. Ever. Not to that place or time or person. We are, I am sure, both very different people now, just like the person I was speaking to from my real life past last night. Too much water has passed under too many bridges and too many bridges have been burnt.

temp laugh.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For all the issues that the Teen Grid had, and boy were there a lot of them, I miss the community we had there. Since it was so small and everyone was the same age, we all sort of knew each other. We hung out in the same places, played the same games, shopped at the same stores. Even the big name creators were accessible people you could chat with. The TG was a microcosm of SL, its own little world. Our economy was different, everything was much cheaper, and you could easily make a name for yourself with a little bit of work. 

I'm totally disconnected from that world of teenagers now, and I imagine most of them are playing Roblox or VRChat these days, not SL. Teens in SL now (and remember, you can make an account at 16) are limited to G sims. There's not a lot of those. Most stores are on M sims. They can't find other teens easily. It seems like a lonely existence compared to what I had as a teenager. 

I was one of the biggest advocates for the grid merge back in the day. There were good reasons for it. Copybotting was rampant, kids felt disconnected from their friends who aged out, and LL didn't have the resources to maintain the separate area. But we lost what made it special, what made it work, and I'm still sad about that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

When I was new, I thought our avatars stood in place & hibernated while we were offline.  I also didn’t know what camming was, so I thought I could go underwater or behind a bush to change clothes & no one could see me.  Also didn’t know you shouldn’t go to an open rezzing parcel to unbox purchases and leave them.  And I miss the newness of not knowing it was bad to accept a giant folder of skins and hair from someone- cause that gets you a terrifying message from the lab warning you to never have stolen content in your inventory again- lest you lose your account!  Just simple things like first time dancing in sync and hula hoops and gestures that animated anyone with it active with an on/off command.  So I miss the newness.  But I really miss some good people who are no longer in either world.  I wish I could have their names log on one more time so I could  tell them how much they brightened my entire life before their avatars hibernated forever- their names still on my friends list.   🥺

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

But I really miss some good people who are no longer in either world.  I wish I could have their names log on one more time so I could  tell them how much they brightened my entire life before their avatars hibernated forever- their names still on my friends list.

Yes.  I should have said this in my own post earlier. I still have quite a few people on my friends list that I will never see again because they have passed on in RL. A surprising number were younger than I am, which is a sobering thought. I miss some of them very much, remembering the places we explored together, the things we built, and the long conversations that filled our evenings. 

• Like 7

Back in 2009 when I first joined SL I basically only went there to roleplay in a German Na'vi community. We had some amazing looking Pandora themed Sims, it was awesome. I miss the community we had, the friendships that formed, the fun we had. I haven't found that anywhere again and I still miss it to that day. 

But we looked awful with our prim tails and the system body and head 😂

Edited by Sabrina Nebula
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I clean up my friends list every now and then. People who are never online or who I never have contact with for a long time, are silently removed.
My friends list will never become a nostalgia museum.

I do the same. I don't understand why people first want to be your friend and then almost never reply to a conversation, or never start one. I remove them silently after months of not one beep.

• Like 4

Person - quite a few! But especially my friend Peanut :x  

Thing - I REALLY miss crowded public sandboxes :( I know they could be griefer magnets but I would rather put up with that than see them so empty, with scripts disabled...it's depressing. AMAZING places to watch geniuses at work and see what was possible on SL, and also to see what clothes, vehicles, HUDs and items others had (and a good place to swap hairs and particles B|). And you never knew who you'd meet or what would happen...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I clean up my friends list every now and then. People who are never online or who I never have contact with for a long time, are silently removed.

You and me both.

Staring at a list of missing, ghosted, possibly actually dead people seems depressing as hell. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That's probably very wise, and it certainly would reduce clutter. I have a hard time doing this for people I have been close to, though. I have a hard time believing in an afterlife, but I do have a strong feeling that we are "alive" as long as someone remembers us.  My parents and grandparents are alive in my mind, and I hope I remain alive to some people well after I am gone.  It's not nostalgia in the wistful sense; it's hard to explain.  Somehow, removing a person from my friends list just because she has passed on in RL shuts a door that I don't want closed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, North Pole said:

I gave you the laugh response because of how awful we did look wayyy back in the beginning, when to change our appearance meant using sliders for everything including hair, and nose and ears, and ended up looking quite bizarre.

Some of my builds were cringeworthy, but making a one prim forest back in the day seemed cutting edge. I totally agree that it was simpler to help out a new resident. I would not know where to begin these days, so leave it to the current experts over at the newest Welcome Hub. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

When I think back to the early years of SL, I especially miss the sense of wonder we all had back then
That will never come back.

nostalgia.jpg

That's such a smashing photo, it actually brings tears to my real life eyes. Just cartoon representations of us, and yet you captured a moment there, and I know that you have great memories attached this photo, as much as if it had been taken in real life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

I do the same. I don't understand why people first want to be your friend and then almost never reply to a conversation, or never start one. I remove them silently after months of not one beep.

In my case I think they add me to remember who it is they don't want to talk to again! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.