How would you feel if Second Life had a like/dislike rating for residents?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In an MMO I've played, MapleStory, users have the ability to increase or decrease the "fame" rating of other players. It didn't affect much except it for being cool I guess. Players (if I recall correctly) had a one month cooldown before being able to assign another fame point to another player.

I was wondering what you think if Second Life had a similar thing for other residents - a "fame" rating or what's also known as a like/dislike rating for each resident that can be changed by others.

It seems cool but I can see it being abused (for example, alts may inflate the rating of one resident, someone writes a script that affects someone else based on their "fame" rating, access to things can be affected by the "like" rating, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

SL used to have something like this for residents, ratings for 'Behavior', 'Appearance' and' Building' (skills).

I vaguely remember it used to cost 1L$ to rate someone.

It's last remnants can be found on the Linden Scripting Language Wiki page:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/DATA_RATING

Wow, didn't know about that. Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

In an MMO I've played, MapleStory, users have the ability to increase or decrease the "fame" rating of other players. It didn't affect much except it for being cool I guess. Players (if I recall correctly) had a one month cooldown before being able to assign another fame point to another player.

I was wondering what you think if Second Life had a similar thing for other residents - a "fame" rating or what's also known as a like/dislike rating for each resident that can be changed by others.

It seems cool but I can see it being abused (for example, alts may inflate the rating of one resident, someone writes a script that affects someone else based on their "fame" rating, access to things can be affected by the "like" rating, etc.)

The TikTok generation would love it, they need that kind of validation.

Me, not so much. 

• Like 11

We have self importance and group pressure enough as it is already in SL. Even more high school behavior?
No thanks.
It could easily be the reason for me to fold my cards in SL it that was re-introduced in some way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

There was a reason LL yanked the old system. Please, let's not go through it all over again. It is enough I already know I'm one of the most hated people in SL/on the forum just for being who I am and not who they want me to be.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

tI would find it a pity if sl were to degenerate in large parts into a competition for popularity and "fame"

The current sl is not entirely free of it either
but the tendency would, I think, be massively reinforced.
What I like about sl is that it gives you the chance to read different people with different points of view and different arguments.

Edited by mona Bluestar
  • Like 4

The first draft was a bad Idea for profiles years ago..

I can't see them heading that direction again.. they have enough problems already on their hands..

It irritates the daylights out of me how so much crap is driven on the internet  for the likes.

Lets see if WE can get this video to 50,000 likes this time..

I love how they say WE when they beg for likes..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The first draft was a bad Idea for profiles years ago..

I can't see them heading that direction again.. they have enough problems already on their hands..

It irritates the daylights out of me how so much crap is driven on the internet  for the likes.

Lets see if WE can get this video to 50,000 likes this time..

I love how they say WE when they beg for likes..

I had someone out of the blue message me yesterday.  She asked if I could follow her on Flickr and like some of her photos.  Can't say I've ever had that happen inworld before.  I get people following me on Flickr weekly but if I take a look at their stream and all the pics are sideways or tilted or they're just a fashion blogger, I pass.  I also stopped putting photos into groups unless asked.  I fav something if I genuinely like it and not because I want favs back.

I take and post photos for me.  I don't care if anyone likes them or not.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I had someone out of the blue message me yesterday.  She asked if I could follow her on Flickr and like some of her photos.  Can't say I've ever had that happen inworld before.  I get people following me on Flickr weekly but if I take a look at their stream and all the pics are sideways or tilted or they're just a fashion blogger, I pass.  I also stopped putting photos into groups unless asked.  I fav something if I genuinely like it and not because I want favs back.

I take and post photos for me.  I don't care if anyone likes them or not.  

It reminds me of the club events where people would call all their friends and ask them to come click the board and vote for them so they could win whatever the silly event was that hour.

Any voting contest in SL really..

When I got on Flickr, I don't even think there was that kind of stuff.. I went there because it had a huge amount of space where you could upload images and link them.. I think a lot of the social stuff came later.. I never really ever got into all that..

I have so much random stuff on my flickr.. hehehe

I even have textures stored on there.. hehehe

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The profile "feed" wasn't so hot either.

Ya, I never really got involved in that but one time.. That was when Rodvik became CEO and we were hounding him for our linden bear which he was supposed to be making.. He ended up sending us ponies instead..lol

Rodvik Linden BearPony

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The profile "feed" wasn't so hot either.

I use the feeds.  They are a whole different set of friends than what I have here, and I am more involved with those friends inworld than I am with other forumites.

On topic: Any system that encourages people to rate other people is a really bad idea.  I would want a way to opt out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.