Can you spawn npc to pose with you?

LusciousFox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

So on marketplace i keep seeing npc models and was wondering. In public places you can use pose balls (like to make you and someone else cuddle). A lot of places i go,there is no one there. So can i buy some npc,spawn them in my location,and make that npc pose with me???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LusciousFox said:

Hi,

So on marketplace i keep seeing npc models and was wondering. In public places you can use pose balls (like to make you and someone else cuddle). A lot of places i go,there is no one there. So can i buy some npc,spawn them in my location,and make that npc pose with me???

Can in Opensim so would be surprised if one could not in SL though I have not seen any.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LusciousFox said:

Hi,

Yes. Attach to avatar centre. Then right click and position. What you cannot do is change their pose.  They will remain in the pose you purchase them in. You'd need animesh for changing the pose, but animesh will attach to avatar centre as well so ....

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 2

The NPCs I'm thinking of won't pose. They're like furniture or decor, except shaped like people. I have one who's in a seated position, and I rezzed her to put in a chair in a sort of tableau I made. But she was already sitting. I've got another one who just stands holding a tray.

If you need someone to pose with, creating an alt will probably be easier and more effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Can in Opensim so would be surprised if one could not in SL though I have not seen any.

I really wish LL would create more options for (animesh)NPCs in this regard, but I don't think they have yet.  I do know with AVsitter you can purchase a few scripts to install on the furniture you wish to use, and have your animesh sit on furniture.  If I recall correctly, you have to also put the scripts in the animesh NPC along with the animations you want to use, so it is not really built into SL as far as I know.  I am speculating it is more so just a work around, the animesh is probably responding to commands sent to it through the configured furniture on some obscure channel.

So  if you were to attach an animesh NPC to you, you would not be able to hop on to any object and direct your animesh NPC to sit with you, and perform the animations contained in the object you are sitting on. You could probably place a bunch of animations in your animesh companion, and create a bunch of different commands you could give it to use those animations, then manually move the animesh around by editing it to the location you want though.

In Opensim, the server performs all of this work for you, and makes the whole process a lot easier as you don't need to modify the objects that you want the NPC to interact with.  If I recall correctly, you also don't need to place any animations in the object the NPC is spawned from to use animations contained in the furniture.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You can in fact do it.

You can't use any npc model thou, it has to be animesh. You can do it using Black Dragon viewer and attach the animesh object to yourself, from there you can access it and adjust it using the built in poser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I haven't played with it, but I can't imagine it to be all that difficult to get a humanoid animesh "avatar" to pose with any animation you can push into its contents. If there's a lack of scripts for that, it might be an interesting freebie project. But… is there a way to get an animesh figure to attach the clothing you want it to "wear"? And do BoM textures bake onto animesh? Maybe that all works, but personally I wouldn't know where to start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

I haven't played with it, but I can't imagine it to be all that difficult to get a humanoid animesh "avatar" to pose with any animation you can push into its contents. If there's a lack of scripts for that, it might be an interesting freebie project. But… is there a way to get an animesh figure to attach the clothing you want it to "wear"? And do BoM textures bake onto animesh? Maybe that all works, but personally I wouldn't know where to start.

I know that it can attach different outfits, because I used to have an animesh character that would wander around my previous parcel on a beach and you could give it commands to put on a hat and sunglasses. I'm not sure about BOM though, I was curious about that myself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Yes. Attach to avatar centre. Then right click and position. What you cannot do is change their pose.  They will remain in the pose you purchase them in. You'd need animesh for changing the pose, but animesh will attach to avatar centre as well so ....

If you buy them mod you can rip out the existing pose scripts and poses and put in your own AO script and anims.  That's what I've been doing.  See here:

1374317446_GabrieleandStephenAnimeshPoseball_004.thumb.jpg.b0f1434b12b46d0617b5473893e16e12.jpg

I have both pose ball and attachment versions of this working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like the OP, original poster, was seeing a set of pose balls at a location and wondering if an NPC, non-player character, avatar could be spawned and make use of the pose balls. As others have already said, creating another avatar (an alt avatar) and logging in with a second client would allow the OP to pose with both avatars under their control. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It sounds like the OP, original poster, was seeing a set of pose balls at a location and wondering if an NPC, non-player character, avatar could be spawned and make use of the pose balls. As others have already said, creating another avatar (an alt avatar) and logging in with a second client would allow the OP to pose with both avatars under their control. 

They wouldn't need to use the poseballs at the dance place if the animesh character was worn as an attachment.  They could take them along with their own dances and everything would be fine.

Strictly speaking though if they really want to use the poseballs at a venue, the only option is actually the alt account obviously.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

No BoM*, rest yes. You need to link clothes so some building skills and mod items are required.

*well if you don't use BoM on yourself you can on your worn animesh - but who the heck wants to do that?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No and Yeah, kinda.

Note that I am discussing Second Life NPC's made with the Animesh feature.

Animations must be in the NPC contents so you can't make one that will sit on and use animations contained in furniture.

There is a script on the MP that supposedly allows this function, but I have not used it so can't verify if it does this or not.

(I've heard the furniture needs to send the animation to the NPC and 'No Transfer' perms would stop this happening in most cases. It would work only if you owned both the furniture and the NPC, and the animations were copiable.)

There are several NPC's/ Animesh/ Companions that you can modify/ change animations on/ re-position, and since you attach these to your avatar you can use them in no rez areas.

Get an animesh with copy & modify perms and load it up with your favorite poses and go for it.

Edited to add, There are several low cost, rigged mesh, BOM ready avatars for free and for $1 Linden on the MP. Making an animesh from one is simply a matter of dropping an animation in it and telling it what animation to play. Grab a freebie and start playing with it.

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Like 1

You can do quite a bit with animesh NPCs. But they can't do many avatar things. In particular, they can't "sit". "Sitting", in SL, is a strange kind of linkage that's only implemented for avatars. So NPCs can't interact with furniture intended for avatars.

However, NPCs and furniture can be designed to work together. You can see this at "Sexytyme", which is what you'd expect.

There's also SmartBots/SmartMates. These are actual avatars, bots controlled by programs outside SL. Rent a bodyguard to follow you around. They can even follow you through teleports. These are quite good, but they're expensive and sold as a service because they need a computer outside SL to control them.

Virtual Kennel Club had pets that would follow you around. They shut down recently.

And, of course, there are my own NPCs. Visit Hippotropolis. Cindi will find you and say hello, then run off and resume jogging around.

All of these work. All are hard enough to set up that they are not used much in SL. If you sell something like this this, it takes a support organization to get customers through the rough spots.

Edited by animats
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

You can do quite a bit with animesh NPCs. But they can't do many avatar things. In particular, they can't "sit". "Sitting", in SL, is a strange kind of linkage that's only implemented for avatars. So NPCs can't interact with furniture intended for avatars.

However, NPCs and furniture can be designed to work together. You can see this at "Sexytyme", which is what you'd expect.

There's also SmartBots/SmartMates. These are actual avatars, bots controlled by programs outside SL. Rent a bodyguard to follow you around. They can even follow you through teleports. These are quite good, but they're expensive and sold as a service because they need a computer outside SL to control them.

Virtual Kennel Club had pets that would follow you around. They shut down recently.

And, of course, there are my own NPCs. Visit Hippotropolis. Cindi will find you and say hello, then run off and resume jogging around.

All of these work. All are hard enough to set up that they are not used much in SL. If you sell something like this this, it takes a support organization to get customers through the rough spots.

I'm sure I've seen an animesh sexbot that seemed to sit on a bed.

VKC pets can be told to follow you, another avatar, or even another pet. I don't think they can cross sim borders in this mode, but I haven't tried it. (They're still supposed to be functional and are supposed to be changeable to Copyable in October of this year.)

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 6:51 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm sure I've seen an animesh sexbot that seemed to sit on a bed.

Yep, I, and a few other creators, have found various ways to utilize animesh for interactivity with avatars and furniture.

But generally speaking these are purpose built animesh, as in they come as a part of the furniture. The animesh has to have the animations in it's own contents so it really needs to be supplied with the specific ones for the specific furniture it will be used with. You (currently) can't create an animesh NPC that will sit and use random furniture owned by others.

Different creators have different ways of doing it but it can be done, within certain limits.

Other functions, such as following, are different commands entirely. All my standard animesh NPCs can follow, evade, patrol, wander etc. Those are done with pathfinding (usually) and are "easy" to script into animesh characters, but none of those can sit on a pose ball or furniture.

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, Artorius Constantine said:

Yep, I, and a few other creators, have found various ways to utilize animesh for interactivity with avatars and furniture.

But generally speaking these are purpose built animesh, as in they come as a part of the furniture. The animesh has to have the animations in it's own contents so it really needs to be supplied with the specific ones for the specific furniture it will be used with. You (currently) can't create an animesh NPC that will sit and use random furniture owned by others.

Different creators have different ways of doing it but it can be done, within certain limits.

Other functions, such as following, are different commands entirely. All my standard animesh NPCs can follow, evade, patrol, wander etc. Those are done with pathfinding (usually) and are "easy" to script into animesh characters, but none of those can sit on a pose ball or furniture.

Animesh is pretty cool for building robots if you want stand-alone objects - and really the way to interact with them pose-wise is to use them as furniture (as I do in my systems).  But in the end - the nicest bots are "alt-bots", AI-powered alt avs that can be logged in using low-overhead non-video viewers, have zero land impact, can wear any usual clothes and devices, and sit on things the same as you and I.  I've designed AI systems to allow them to be GPT/RLV-powered and pretty independent if you want them to be.  For an article on this see I Want A Second Life Bot - But What Kind Should I Get? (johnsonbots.blogspot.com)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.