LaraX?

Rowan Amore

I decided this week to move away from Legacy back to Lara. I forgot LaraX was out so I redelivered it and checked it out.

I really, really like it. It reminds me of the things I liked about Legacy, but with a HUD I like better.

Naturally, the clothes situation is a tough sled while creators roll out their new content. But I was seriously debating dropping the $L3500 for Reborn so I will budget that money for new LaraX outfits.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zallia Creeley said:

I decided this week to move away from Legacy back to Lara. I forgot LaraX was out so I redelivered it and checked it out.

I really, really like it. It reminds me of the things I liked about Legacy, but with a HUD I like better.

Naturally, the clothes situation is a tough sled while creators roll out their new content. But I was seriously debating dropping the $L3500 for Reborn so I will budget that money for new LaraX outfits.

Check out the thread for LaraX updates. There are some free group gifts, sales and updated clothes there that you may already have. Also try your Legacy sizes. Sometimes they fit on LaraX.

• Like 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Also try your Legacy sizes. Sometimes they fit on LaraX.

Yeah, I have been going through that thread and grabbed the gifts.

I had some luck with Legacy shapes. The pants seemed to work better than tops showing any skin. I really wish the back alphas had the same cuts at the front.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife (and I) really like LaraX. She's tried all the bodies out there but never found one that gave the sort of shape she wanted better than Lara, but it had its issues as we know. Particularly around the posterior, for me anyway. LX fixed them.

The shapes are close enough that it only takes a few minutes with the sliders to convert a Lara shape to an LX, with significant improvements. She can't make her mind up about the butt deformer though; sometimes it's on, sometimes its not... the question, "does my bum look big in this?" has cropped up a few times now 😄. Not that it's a bad thing to have, it's just she can't decide which looks best. Sometimes choice doesn't help and if she asks me again... 🤣

We're seeing plenty of support for LaraX at the events and some creators; some of the clothes are even good (from the usual, trustworthy suspects). Some are using templates and you get four sellers at an event with the same item in vaguely different textures; and some not so well made, as always. Some 'creators' still think that they can dump a half-finished mesh out for sale that I could do a better job of myself if they handed over the .blend file, and it will sell. I guess many people don't look as closely at what they are buying as we do.

A fair number of creators are updating existing clothing, as well as releasing new stuff. That's great and very kind of them. Others (including some of our favourites) I don't think will update, which is a shame as the ones I am thinking of are the ones that would benefit the most from LaraX vs. Lara. Money talks though and there's always more in new products. We would happily pay again for a LaraX version of many things she already has. Given the attitude I've seen from some people on the groups though, selling like that instead of offering a free update would cause some unpleasant kick-offs from a lot of people.

We've managed to fit a lot of existing Lara stuff to LX. Some covers most of the body anyway (which really makes using LX vs. Lara irrelevant, but having the same body on makes outfit changes simpler) and home-made alpha masks help for some if the body/clothes don't clip in difficult places. Some older clothes with v4 of the autohide are a pain though and require setting up a 'custom' Lara with alpha'd parts then pulling Lara's scripts out. That was often needed originally anyway.

Of course, many of her outfits aren't (and never will be) available for LX. Her favourites from Elven Elder (one of the best designers in SL; he left last year to move on in real life) for instance. For those, Lara is still good enough, as it always was. I wish we could get the EE jeans for LaraX though. There's nothing else as good. Yet.

That's the good thing though - Lara is still perfectly usable and as good as it always was of course, and now new buyers get to have both. Double the choice.

I keep saying we're not going to buy anything else until PBR is really mainstream. I get a say because I make the money; we have a pact that we don't put 'real' money in (we used to) and just share and spend what I make in SL. Then she gets a group message from TT and has to go and have a look, and has to use that founder member's discount she has because it looks so good on LaraX... oh well. It's only money.

Wow... that turned into an essay, didn't it? I was only going to say a bit while I enjoyed my coffee.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
spelling
  • Like 6

I'm in LaraX 95% of my time in SL.  My favorite stores have been pumping out stuff at speed for it, including updates to add the size to their existing clothes.   I only need to raid my 5.3 stuff and body for mostly costume parties because certain stores that do that sort of design are ignoring LaraX. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Zallia Creeley said:

How are folks doing with moving to LaraX?

It's a little rocky at times, but then I'm not the kind of person who gets excited by 'generic H&M-esque dress no.14', I want pieces that either are versatile and can be worked into other outfits (but having 2-3 tank tops is sufficient, I don't see why I'd need a 4th one). But I do feel that, whilst a fair few 'alternative' style clothiers have dropped Maitreya completely, some of the best (IMO) brands did grab onto LaraX fast, which is good.

I still swap back to Lara every now and then to wear specific stuff that doesn't work with LaraX, but almost all my new purchases are all LaraX, and overall I think that the LaraX section of my wardrobe is pretty decent.

• Like 4

I still don't feel like I can move just yet but I admit my plans to stop buying 5.3 Petite clothes didn't work out... I certainly have a small collection for LaraX Petite now and I am noticing there is basically nothing new for 5.3 Petite coming out so the time is definitely coming.

Need to figure out and make a new deformer package for LaraX Petite too since I'm OCD and undoubtedly will want to change something about it, time to renew that Bento Buddy subscription... or just learn how to do it without it.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

The challenge I have is.... myself, really.

I am guilty of way overthinking these things.

As much as there are things about the Legacy body that bother me, at the end of the day right now I can wear 5.3 stuff with deformers and Legacy stuff.

I am making a determined effort to not buy anything that is 5.3-only.

I also spent a large chunk of time this weekend redoing all by base shapes for the 3 bodies into something that is mostly close enough.

• Like 3

I still don't have enough for LaraX yet. Most of the modest stuff I like is largely in 5.3, but I'm slowly getting to finding LaraX versions. I don't think I'll completely stop with 5.3 as some clothes I wear only exist in 5.3 (or earlier) form. It'll come, I'm sure... I just need to look at sales more often and pick on tips when I see them. 

I also am sporting a few other bodies... Erika and the Legacy based Bladencat HUME. So... I'm hardly bored with my choices with my appearances in SL. OK, gotta run now... :D

Edited by JeromFranzic
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Zallia Creeley said:

At a current shopping event I finally found the first LaraX outfit I want to buy.  At this rate, should only be 2 or 3 years before I actually have a useable LaraX wardrobe 9_9

Maybe some of my 5.3 clothes have been updated, which would be really handy, but so far I haven't come across any simple method of determining that.  Are any stores listing or displaying what they are updating?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zallia Creeley said:

This week I am going to dump another $25 into SL for the weekend sales.

I still haven't worn the body much while I wait for my inventory to catch up.

I bought Maitreya years ago and wore it all the time. But after switching to Reborn I have no desire to use LaraX. Reborn has such great add-ons and nearly everyone rigs for it now. So I am not moving to LaraX, though I appreciate them providing the free update.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

But after switching to Reborn I have no desire to use LaraX. Reborn has such great add-ons and nearly everyone rigs for it now. So I am not moving to LaraX, though I appreciate them providing the free update.

I get tempted by Reborn but I don’t know if I can get the butt small enough. I need to spend more time with the demo. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zallia Creeley said:

I'm using X full time but that hasn't stopped me buying stuff that's 5.3 if it looks like it's compatible with X. i've probably only bought one or two things that i couldn't make work with X since it came out 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Maybe some of my 5.3 clothes have been updated, which would be really handy, but so far I haven't come across any simple method of determining that.  Are any stores listing or displaying what they are updating?

Bumblebee has a Lara X area in their store. A few other stores update to Lara X and display it on their vendor pictures (also check weekend sales as some stores add X sizes for them). And this thread is also usefull:

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 8:33 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

I really feel that  if they would have just named the body Ceka X, I think the world would be a better place and there wouldn't be so much hostility towards the Lara X..

hehehe

Interesting that you should say that. IF they had named it a new body and released it do you think that as many of the creators would have stopped rigging for Maitreya 5.3? 

It's beyond me why creators would stop rigging for the most used and popular body out there for a whole new body.  Yes, I get that it's easier to rig for but to make a complete dump of a body because there is a new one out that is crazy to me.  

I can't notice a difference in the bodies except that the dimples on the butt are craters and I hate that. I'd never wear it with clothes that showed that part of the body.  I have made one concession and have started buying clothes that are rigged for both.  That way If for some reason I will be forced to change I'll have built up a wardrobe. 

I also don't understand the mentality of just deleting all your Maitreya outfits or not caring if there is a redelivery and having to buy the same outfit again.  It seems that some people don't see L's as real money and just don't care.  I'm on a very limited budget so I hardly delete anything unless it was a free gift and  god awful ugly.  I would hate to decide down the road to get a legacy body and find out that I deleted thousand of L's in clothing I'd never thought I'd use or any of the bodies really.

I've recently updated my head to an Evo X head and am finding that a lot of the hair just doesn't look good on it. Very disappointing. I've fiddled and fiddled with it and sometimes what looked good on my LAQ head looks terrible on the Evo X head.

That's my .02 cents on it. If I've learned anything in SL I've learned people are going to do exactly what they want to do no matter what? If it makes you happy and you are happy with the look who is anyone to say it's wrong.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I can't notice a difference in the bodies except that the dimples on the butt are craters and I hate that. I'd never wear it with clothes that showed that part of the body.

Did you update it to LaraX 1.1? They softened the butt-dimples a fair bit after people complained. They're still there, but they're a bit less .. Crater-y. 

Other than that, there's a fair few differences between the two, although most of them are rather subtle. The biggest difference is that the rear got a little larger and rounder, and that the shoulders were totally remodelled (which in turn has shifted the arm position slightly; the combination is why most Lara tops won't work on it unless they're strapless and sleeveless, and even then the subtle differences to the torso itself may be just enough to make some Lara clothes too tight, especially around the flanks of the ribcage), and that the crotch area has become quite different (the thigh joints deepened whilst the mons pubis became more pronounced, making it a lot 'bumpier'). But yeah, if you're wearing something that covers the shoulders (and crotch) it's really hard to tell which of the two it is at a glance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Did you update it to LaraX 1.1? They softened the butt-dimples a fair bit after people complained. They're still there, but they're a bit less .. Crater-y. 

Other than that, there's a fair few differences between the two, although most of them are rather subtle. The biggest difference is that the rear got a little larger and rounder, and that the shoulders were totally remodelled (which in turn has shifted the arm position slightly; the combination is why most Lara tops won't work on it unless they're strapless and sleeveless, and even then the subtle differences to the torso itself may be just enough to make some Lara clothes too tight, especially around the flanks of the ribcage), and that the crotch area has become quite different (the thigh joints deepened whilst the mons pubis became more pronounced, making it a lot 'bumpier'). But yeah, if you're wearing something that covers the shoulders (and crotch) it's really hard to tell which of the two it is at a glance.

Oh! How did I miss that they updated it. I'll go get it now and see if I like it better. I do like a round butt! Thanks Orwar!

• Like 3

I've been a Petite X 100% enthusiast since its launch. Naturally, I tend to lag in unpacking items, but so far, I've gathered a diverse collection, visible here: https://gyazo.com/3244a7aa0f72693dcc2ddd1bd1345fb6. My wardrobe ranges from sexy outfits for when my partner is around, to more conservative attire. It took some time, but now, there are numerous creators designing clothes for Petite X. So, I am content with using Petite X while my Legacy Perky collects dust.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Neve and Ison are the two stores I frequent that have been updating some items to LaraX, usually with their Saturday Sale offerings (Ison occasionally with FLF).  When I see a TSS or FLF item from those two stores that I've already purchased in the past,  I always head straight to the redelivery terminal to get the LaraX version. 

• Like 3

In addition to Neve and ISON, I have found the following brands offering LaraX updated items on the weekend sales:

• Thalia Hackworth
  • Baiastice
  • Friday
  • Fashionably Dead
  • Addams
  • Tori Torricelli
  • Azoury
  • Bumblebee
  • Stiff
  • Technofolk
  • Eru Couture
  • Versois et Mailloux
  • Rowne (some)
  • ValentinaE (some)
  • Enfant Terrible (some)
  • Zara (some)
  • Like 3

I will never move to LaraX. I will be sticking to the original Maitreya Lara for my older styles. I did branch out and try and purchase the reborn body as well as one from legacy. Over time I really have found I like legacy. So I'm happier now that I found a back up.

Many of my favorite fantasy creators have ignored LaraX or have made it clear they will be creating for both. Other stores I frequented that have dropped Maitreya Lara no longer get my business. The entire feedback I've gotten from certain creators to just "switch to the new body" doesn't really sit well with me. So I did switch to a new body, but I still won't be supporting those stores.

I'm just happy that I found a different body that I actually like.

I apologize if this sounds grumpy. Rereading it made the tone sound like that. To me at least. It wasn't meant to sound snarky. Eek!

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
Edited because I sounded really grumpy and just wow!
  • Like 2