LaraX?

Rowan Amore

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have been thinking about Lara and LaraX a while....

And I have come to wish the updates were only for the neck/shoulders. I am totally wild about them, now that I see the difference.

The rest of the changes, tummy and upper thighs, is so small that they are annoying. It is a bit smoother, but is additional work with alpha layers and the HUD, since all autohide scripts wrecks alpha cuts. This 'work to make it fit' should not be necessary, since it is really just minimal change.

If Maitreya had only updated the shoulders/neck and released Lara as 6.0, it would have been better for me. The only things I had to replace would be tops/dresses, not thigh high boots and pants.

LaraX could have been released as its own body and made appealing to curvy body users.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The changes in the thighs for me is a big difference. Sure if you keep your thighs super thin you may not noticed what an improvement there has been made to the shapeliness of the upper legs, but for me it makes all the difference. Also, the change in the pelvic region itself is so much prettier than it was with the 5.3 body. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If Maitreya had only updated the shoulders/neck and released Lara as 6.0, it would have been better for me. The only things I had to replace would be tops/dresses, not thigh high boots and pants.

If Maitreya had only changed the shoulders and neck, it would still have to be a new body, because it would still have not worked with existing Maitreya Lara mesh clothing.

Giving us 2 bodies for the price of one (free if you already bought Lara) was really the best solution to some people wanting major changes to the body and others not wanting changes. Also, even though I didn't have to buy a new body, I'm buying new clothing at Maitreya for LaraX, so they're still making money. (I love the Vintage jeans.)

• Like 3

There are a fair number of LaraX gifts at Shop & Hop. I actually found a few keepers.  The Bold Llama has now started offering LaraX rigging with her gift for those of us who need snarky tank tops.

If you use Fabfree's Shop & Hop spreadsheet, please note that some items are marked for LaraX, but some items are available in LaraX but not labeled as such on the spreadsheet. 

Son!a Edge at Shop & Hop has some really pretty jewelry rigged for LaraX at a discount too.

Most of the sales items for the clothing stores are pre-LaraX though. 

Sorry there are no photos. Too exhausted from boss moving goalposts at work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/31/2024 at 11:56 AM, Marianne Little said:

I have been thinking about Lara and LaraX a while....

And I have come to wish the updates were only for the neck/shoulders. I am totally wild about them, now that I see the difference.

The rest of the changes, tummy and upper thighs, is so small that they are annoying. It is a bit smoother, but is additional work with alpha layers and the HUD, since all autohide scripts wrecks alpha cuts. This 'work to make it fit' should not be necessary, since it is really just minimal change.

LaraX could have been released as its own body and made appealing to curvy body users.

I can understand where you're coming from since there were small details of the LaraX body I disliked to a point where I just couldn't like it. I did try to like it. I just couldn't like it. It doesn't matter that it was a free body for those of us who had the Lara body already. I still absolutely love Maitreya Lara and will always support Maitreya as long as the original Lara continues to be supported. My shape that I created for Maitreya Lara on my own is petite, but shapely. My shape isn't overweight, but just a healthy look. Maitreya Lara neck and shoulders never bothered me. I always thought the body was beautiful as is.

I will be sticking with my Lara for the most part unless it comes to blogging newer looks. I purchased a different body to model newer looks if it is a necessity in the future, but I also have stopped supporting stores that are no longer creating for Maitreya  Lara.

We are all going to like different things. Need different things with our look. Not everyone is going to agree and that is completely okay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:43 AM, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

We are all going to like different things. Need different things with our look. Not everyone is going to agree and that is completely okay.

I was told from a friend in world that a lot of shops have dropped the older Lara for the X. She mentioned X makes the toon look like a Kardashian and will stick to the classic Lara.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I was told from a friend in world that a lot of shops have dropped the older Lara for the X. She mentioned X makes the toon look like a Kardashian and will stick to the classic Lara.

Your friend is giving you some half-baked information. I absolutely DESPISE the Kardiashian asthetic, and I managed to make my shape very slim, including the bum. It requires some different usage of the shape sliders, and the most recent LaraX update includes a butt deformer to make it smaller.  I now cannot put my 5.3 back on without seeing the linebacker shoulders, even though I still have some favorite outfits that are only rigged for 5.3. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:58 AM, Blush Bravin said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. The changes in the thighs for me is a big difference. Sure if you keep your thighs super thin you may not noticed what an improvement there has been made to the shapeliness of the upper legs, but for me it makes all the difference. Also, the change in the pelvic region itself is so much prettier than it was with the 5.3 body. 

And that butt is way more POW POW also. :)

5 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

There is a lot of Kardashians to even begin to know what shape they are talking about.. hehehe

Kardashians probably have a lot of the bodies on lock down when it comes to shapes in SL..

If we're talking butt implants and breast implants.. They must have blinders on if they see that in Lara X compared to a lot of the other bodies out there.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

On 2/1/2024 at 7:43 AM, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I can understand where you're coming from since there were small details of the LaraX body I disliked to a point where I just couldn't like it. I did try to like it. I just couldn't like it. It doesn't matter that it was a free body for those of us who had the Lara body already. I still absolutely love Maitreya Lara and will always support Maitreya as long as the original Lara continues to be supported. My shape that I created for Maitreya Lara on my own is petite, but shapely. My shape isn't overweight, but just a healthy look. Maitreya Lara neck and shoulders never bothered me. I always thought the body was beautiful as is.

I will be sticking with my Lara for the most part unless it comes to blogging newer looks. I purchased a different body to model newer looks if it is a necessity in the future, but I also have stopped supporting stores that are no longer creating for Maitreya  Lara.

I totally agree with this. I do think it will be a huge mistake for stores to drop Maitreya and rig only for Lara X.  I do think there will be a market for Lara X but creators will lose out on a lot of sales if they drop Maitreya completely.  I have way too much invested to switch and am not one to jump on the next new thing just because.  It's just crazy to take the most successful body, change it and then stop supporting it.  This change has actually stopped me from spending so much RL money in SL.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

I totally agree with this. I do think it will be a huge mistake for stores to drop Maitreya and rig only for Lara X.  I do think there will be a market for Lara X but creators will lose out on a lot of sales if they drop Maitreya completely.  I have way too much invested to switch and am not one to jump on the next new thing just because.  It's just crazy to take the most successful body, change it and then stop supporting it.  This change has actually stopped me from spending so much RL money in SL.  

I think the ones you will see doing that are the ones with already too much on their plate..

A lot of the things I get which are pretty good quality so far , have had both versions in them.. If we lose the ones rigging for 16  to 24 bodies, I don't think we'll be missing out on too much quality.

I have ask an honest question though.. How many of the other body creators have gotten so much guff for coming out with another body version?

Most all of them charged for  the new bodies even to their existing users and i don't think they got as much grief as Maitreya has gotten.. This isn't really a reflection from the forums, but just being in the inworld group it's been non stop guff and complaining.. hehehe

The thing is, the older versions are still being supported by the creator.. As well as the older addon versions are also full bodies now which is an improvement on the older addon versions.

ETA: I just want to add also, 5.3 has more content than we could ever shake a stick at.. So much of the newer content getting made nowadays is rehashes of so much that has already been made for the bodies of the past..

I really don't think Maitreya 5.3 wearers are going to be suffering for content.. the 5.3 body will still have more content  probably 3 years from now , than any other body out there..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 11

I really don't get this idea that Lara X can't be slim or looks,  I used the same shape for the 2 bodies. Also the butt deformer. And wore different lingerie (obviously) . The first one is Lara X the 2nd is the 5.3 for both sets of pictures. The Lara X body's shoulders look odd because this shape had the shoulders set to 0 and I didn't change anything.  So that is something that needs to be tweaked for the body. The breast size is 34. The butt size is 10 and I'm wearing the smaller butt deformer in both.

4fbb7c88613b8cd7ee9533b48a33ebee.thumb.png.fcda3d70a428a6794ee1dffd43d6dcb6.png85f7e5fc55fbbee582010059c7dcbd87.thumb.png.bf910fe62427604462e8b683da5d7656.pngf681b512a62c65cef58dec8f80943254.png.acc8a8af9987bd291c81c543af3fc046.png274f11308b80a4d5a99e62e96945b2e7.png.ad6e2705ea27bad84a867785fa41f895.png

Edited by MillyWH
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Your friend is correct about many shops.

You can make a slim shape on LaraX. I've been making shapes since 2010. Not a business by the way. Needed to clarify that because I don't wish to cause confusion. For myself and people here and there over the years who wished me to make a personalized shape for them.

I did make a slimmer version of LaraX as well as a shaplier one. The body still wasn't to my taste. I'm not going to point out the faults in detail since it is just a personal preference. Just as some find issue with the original Lara shoulders and so on. I never had issue with the shoulders. The look that is often described really depends on the body frame an avi gets from the shape they are using. Since my shape can't be described as slim by any means, the shoulders were never an issue because my frame was curvier. For slimmer avis, I can understand why the shoulders were a nuisance though.

The Maitreya creator has made it very clear that LaraX was never meant to replace the original Lara. They are two different existing bodies that will continue to be supported so everyone can use what they are most comfortable with. I don't and never have had an issue with the creator of Maitreya. The new body will open up a new customer base for Maitreya. Which is great. I will always be a loyal customer as long as the older body is supported.

Now I have my own thoughts behind creators dumping the original Lara as they did. They have a right to decide what works for their business because it is their business. That just means they no longer get my support. The ones who have continued support of the original Lara and started creating for LaraX have gotten even more support from me. So much so, I may have acquired a shopping addiction. So there we are.

My whole spiel here is I feel people should use what they want. What they are comfortable with. Without getting flack from either side.  :)

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 7

I can understand people having personal preferences about the bodies and not liking the new one. The only issue I have is saying it can't be a slim shape .

One thing I like is that I've been able to get more of the legs to look closer to the way I had them with Belleza Isis (which was my fave body). I only had issues with the shoulders on 5.3 with some things 

I also understand if creators want to only do 5.3 or X but not both because there are a lot of bodies out there and a lot of variations.  I haven't paid attention to all the variations of the other bodies. 

• Like 5

I think it's great that we have the option to use one or all of them if we want.. There may be some sort of split in the market, but that's always gonna happen when a new body comes out..

I think with the older body we are much more fortunate to already have such a wealth of content to keep it fueled for some time to come, as well as what will still be made.

From what it's looking like, the newer are getting a good stream of content coming in as well as some updated things..

I'm really glad that nobody is really getting left in the dust.. We might lose a little something here and there, but that's always  happened in the past when something new comes along..

I just hope everyone finds where they want to be and ends up enjoying where they end up.. They are all good bodies in my eyes and I'm enjoying the versatility..

I've been playing with the Lara and Lara X as well as the petites.. I'm really enjoying the feel of the petites now.. I'm not sure the flats will be for me though, but I'm glad they are there.. You just never know.. hehehe

:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MillyWH said:

I can understand people having personal preferences about the bodies and not liking the new one. The only issue I have is saying it can't be a slim shape .

This too is my concern. I have helped a person who wanted a super skinny body like she was able to get with 5.3. She was really upset that she couldn't be skinny with LaraX. I was able to get her a shape that was nearly identical to her old shape, and that was before we had the butt deformer. I'm pretty sure that with the butt deformer we could get the X bottom to be as thin as her 5.3. 

I have absolutely no issue with anyone preferring the 5.3 over the X as long as they aren't following a misconceived notion that the X can't get skinny, because it can. You just have to rethink how the body is going to react to the sliders, because if you try to get the same shape using the same sliders and numbers as you have in the past with 5.3 you will not like the result unless all your numbers were pretty much in the center of the sliders.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have pretty much moved completely over to LaraX Petite now.  To some extent this is thanks to @Earalia Nolan, and Sensations - the final piece in the body-jigsaw.

I won't be buying anything that doesn't support it from now on either.  This isn't proving to be hard.  I have found lots and lots of clothes for 'me'.  While many are new clothes (or updates) rigged especially for LaraX Petite, I have made custom-alphas for a huge swathe of my old Lara and Lara Petite clothes, mostly 'cold weather' types.  A key factor in much of the re-tailoring work has been use of V5 autohide in some clothes,  anything with V4 autohides is a real pain (I'm looking at ya Blueberry), but it's not insurmountable.

I'm also having fun going through my inventory and deleting stuff that I'll never been seen dead in again...

• Like 6

On 2/3/2024 at 5:45 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I have ask an honest question though.. How many of the other body creators have gotten so much guff for coming out with another body version?

Most all of them charged for  the new bodies even to their existing users and i don't think they got as much grief as Maitreya has gotten.. This isn't really a reflection from the forums, but just being in the inworld group it's been non stop guff and complaining.. hehehe

The thing is, the older versions are still being supported by the creator.. As well as the older addon versions are also full bodies now which is an improvement on the older addon versions.

When Belleza brought out their GenX bodies, they said there wouldn't be any further updates to their Venus, Isis and Freya bodies. There weren't as many people using these bodies as there are people using Maitreya Lara, so their disappointment didn't register as being important. Of course Belleza also made the mistake of over-pricing the GenX bodies coming out of the gate and not giving their customers any discount on them, so many of their former customers switched to another brand, rather than buying one of the new bodies.

The same thing happened when Slink brought out their Cinnamon and Chai bodies. Physique and Hourglass weren't as popular as Maitreya Lara, so the cries of their loyal Physique and Hourglass customers went largely unheard. Their new bodies didn't break the usefulness of their previous bodies though, so most people ignored Cinnamon and Chai, while those loyal to Physique and Hourglass continued to use those bodies.

The ebody Reborn body, in contrast, was actually much more popular than the old eBody Slim and Curvy bodies had been. Reborn was lucky that it was seen as a good alternative to the rival Kupra bodies, so they actually gained customers, rather than losing them.

Maitreya saw what happened with Belleza and Slink, so they didn't make the same mistakes. They gave those of us who already had Lara the new body for free, without discontinuing support for the old one. I think the amount of complaints about the changes is simply the result of there being so many Maitreya users. Some of us prefer the new body, while some prefer the old one. No problem. Both are still supported by Maitreya and by the creators of skins, tattoos and clothing.

Skins and tattoos made for Maitreya bodies work equally well on either Lara classic or LaraX. Much of the old clothing doesn't work on the new body, but the new body is getting plenty of clothing, because creators can see that it's pretty popular, and they've also been supported by Maitreya listening to what they wanted to make rigging for LaraX easier than rigging for Lara classic had been. A few creators have stopped making clothes for Lara classic, but more are still making them. Some haven't even picked up LaraX yet, though if their customers ask for LaraX sizes, they will.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A few creators have stopped making clothes for Lara classic, but more are still making them. Some haven't even picked up LaraX yet, though if their customers ask for LaraX sizes, they will.

I agree with everything you say.  The main reason why I am so vociferous about where I am taking my future purchases (LaraX Petite only) is to help those who are dithering, and also to guide designers.  Others will be just as firm, but with different tastes.  It's like wine, I don't like white wine, but I'm happy to drink Cabernet Sauvignon until the cows come home.  This doesn't mean I think Chablis drinkers are nuts (unlike my views on Tea-Totallers 😄).

I see some places with LaraX + Lara, but no Petite, I am not a customer any more.  Sorry.  The number of alternative bodies is now so huge you have to make strong decisions or waste vast efforts making more than one work for you.

• Like 4

I did a side by side wearing 5.3 and X. The shape is Velour Aissa with the Velour Louise face skin and Velour Venus body skin in porcelain for full disclosure. I used the same BOM lingerie which is a current free gift from Pixel Doll at the Valentine's shop and hop so I would not have to change clothing. Head is lelutka milan. Hair is Navy+Copper Blanca.

. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in size between the two bodies. My avatar is slender with both bodies.

lara5.3vslarax.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, starladustangel said:

I did a side by side wearing 5.3 and X. The shape is Velour Aissa with the Velour Louise face skin and Velour Venus body skin in porcelain for full disclosure. I used the same BOM lingerie which is a current free gift from Pixel Doll at the Valentine's shop and hop so I would not have to change clothing. Head is lelutka milan. Hair is Navy+Copper Blanca.

. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in size between the two bodies. My avatar is slender with both bodies.

lara5.3vslarax.jpg

A lot of the things that were smoothed  out were when the user decides to go with much more of a  curve to the body..

but even in those images you can still see the differences in the shoulders and where the arms meet the back and more length to the rear..

When you start to go more curvy you will see where the butt begins to make more and a triangle with the 5.3 and will pinch pretty good where the legs and butt meet..

When you start going below 50 on the sliders, you won't see too much noticeable differences.. it's when you start tweaking upwards is when you see where things have been changed more..

• Thanks 1

To add to the post above to give a little bit better perspective of what I was referring to..

This is one of my lara X shapes on the lara v5.3 and the Lara X.

On the lower scale of the sliders, you may not see this, but on the upper scale this is what happens..

Take into account that I am also a kind of small avatar, so longer avatars may not have this problem with v5.3 in the waist as much, but just goes to show what they had fix in that area.. plus this will also give a better idea of what I mean by the butt and hips going triangle  on the 5.3 when you decide to put more curves to it, than the Lara X which is a smoother rounder shaping..

I'm not sure how this image will size up in here.. but if you look at the bottom right image, you can notice the waist ledge  just above the gold chain on my hips.. if you click the image you should  be able to notice it more.. Where on the Lara X it's a smooth transition..

You probably won't get these things on the 5.3  in the lower end of the sliders because the mesh is not as stressed.. but start squishing and  stretching and testing it's limits and you get pinch points and scrunches..

5.3Xcomparisoncopy.thumb.png.cac54d11dcbb9f97ddb165421bc606a5.png

Lara v5.3 is still a really good body and this isn't  in any way me dissing the 5.3.. I'm just showing that there is differences and that the newer body was more made for going up where the other one doesn't do so well..

If it's doing just as well down in the lower end and  also handling the upper part of the sliders better.. Then we are all getting what we wanted.. We have the one for those that like the thinner shaping and we have this one  for those that like hanging in the upper part of the sliders more..:)

Another good thing, I didn't even know I had these bom undrwears until  before I made this post, because I hardly wear too many bom undies.. But I kinda like'um..

I had to dig for them because I had to find something they both could wear to keep things in comparison...hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1