Notes on the WelcomeHub

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're assuming here that people are just against any sort of progress or change, as if they're doing something deliberately against you in order to thwart what you want.

What if people, for the most part, are just disagreeing with the ideas and methods you're proposing though?

If it were just me or just one suggestion (a few, even), you might be on to something.

But we see this with everybody, every suggestion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're assuming here that people are just against any sort of progress or change, as if they're doing something deliberately against you in order to thwart what you want.

What if people, for the most part, are just disagreeing with the ideas and methods you're proposing though?

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's ideas. I, and I bet most people here, have no issue with that. We all have our own opinions on things. Just like I dont agree with some of your ideas, yet thought your post above about dedicated mentors per user was a good idea.

The problem comes when all suggestions/feedback are knocked down to the point where flame wars starts and insults fly, however minor and then certain users start turning the topic off topic to close it down. Just state your disagreement and move on and let those that want to continue to contribute to a thread about improvements or noting down issues people find (such as this thread) discuss, hoping one day Lindens will look at the thread and at least discuss the suggestions at their offices.

That all said, there is a trend in these forums of late (and earlier) where all of those things Paul mentioned and more are automatically targeted and comes across very much like the users in this forum are against change or any feedback/suggestion offered. This to the point where the forums are getting threads made here and in other places about the stifling of any criticism, feedback or suggestion. The 'g' word and its variations is such taboo in these forums it leaves people frothing at the mouth in every thread it is mentioned even if it isn't compared or used to describe SL.

I am over it all and would like to just continue to discuss the points raised and continue to keep the thread on topic rather than derail a good thread further.

Edited by Drayke Newall
made it more happy go lucky
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

there is a trend in these forums of late (and earlier) where all of those things Paul mentioned and more are automatically targeted and comes across very much like the users in this forum are against change or any feedback/suggestion offered. This to the point where the forums are getting threads made here and in other places about the stifling of any criticism, feedback or suggestion. The 'g' word and its variations is such taboo in these forums it leaves people frothing at the mouth in every thread it is mentioned even if it isn't compared or used to describe SL.

Step inside the Walled Garden, a place of apparent perfection. But hidden within its walls is a troubling absence—criticism is not allowed. In this sheltered environment, growth stagnates and innovation fades.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

The mentor program isn't going to work if there is no schedule whatsoever. That is one of the main reasons the program failed years ago.

If I remember correctly, Linden Lab's less than cryptic term for saying the volunteer system didn't work due to the scheduling issues and other issues they wanted to keep hidden, was that 'we are closing the mentor program due to scaling issues'.

Everyone knew why it was closing, LL just didn't want to admit that the organisation side of it and oversight failed (both things they were in control of) so the business term 'scaling' was used.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

If I remember correctly, Linden Lab's less than cryptic term for saying the volunteer system didn't work due to the scheduling issues and other issues they wanted to keep hidden, was that 'we are closing the mentor program due to scaling issues'.

Everyone knew why it was closing, LL just didn't want to admit that the organisation side of it and oversight failed (both things they were in control of) so the business term 'scaling' was used.

So you expect them to take your suggestions and use them while you are accusing them of hiding the truth? Someone like that would be the last person I'd want to partner with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

There is a myriad of reasons that LL won't ever admit to, if for no other reason than to not spoil [it for] those who view LL/SL through rose-colored lenses.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

I see people criticize LL, Lindens, and Moles all the time.  I've actually been shocked they allow some of it. So I don't get what some of you are saying -- that they don't allow it on the forum.

Maybe you're saying they don't take it to heart and believe any of the views expressed are valid, but just see it as a bunch of disgruntled people babbling?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

That all said, there is a trend in these forums of late (and earlier) where all of those things Paul mentioned and more are automatically targeted and comes across very much like the users in this forum are against change or any feedback/suggestion offered. This to the point where the forums are getting threads made here and in other places about the stifling of any criticism, feedback or suggestion.

Technical people should stay in their wheelhouse and not pretend they are skilled at being community managers.

This is what the Welcome area needs -- people who are skilled in community management issues.

The above fact is why I see some getting such push back.  Many of those criticizing the criticism (LOL) really do simply disagree with certain ideas and remedies, and it's not about being against change or feedback.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What is the 'g' word....can you give me a hint...like they do in charades, but with words?

Games. Particularly MMO's, like SL is. 

But SL is not a g.......     oh nevermind...lol

• Like 1

I hung out there again today for an hour or so. I really like it. Surprisingly busy, always a mentor or three popping in and out.  Viola doing a great job. True newbies progressing is a pleasure to witness. Sadly there's a good sprinkling of the socially inept popping up with trash talk quite often, and linden beggars and the like. Thats why I couldn't ever be a mentor. Not got the patience or the skills to handle the more demanding side of it. But the grand mixture of oldies newbies and mentors makes for a most interesting session all in all. It's working well. Hope that continues a long time.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I hate that saying. As if we only have one road!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

I hate that saying. As if we only have one road!

Only reason [I said anything] was because someone else had already posted it and in the name of peace I decided to not quote it.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

At least the "road to Heaven" is paved, because we're all going to be barefoot walking that road. 

That would be awkward if we arrived in Heaven with muddy feet!

"The only reason I said something, is" because there is no equivalency between the "road to Hell" and the "road to Heaven" last time I looked.

..Except for those who believe in Predestination I guess. "Pick a road, doesn't matter which one."

@Qie Niangao

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

At least the "road to Heaven" is paved, because we're all going to be barefoot walking that road. 

That would be awkward if we arrived in Heaven with muddy feet!

"The only reason I said something, is" because there is no equivalency between the "road to Hell" and the "road to Heaven" last time I looked.

..Except for those who believe in Predestination I guess. "Pick a road, doesn't matter which one."

@Qie Niangao

Last I heard there was a Highway to Hell, only a Stairway to Heaven, but many paths to the top of the mountain.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I hung out there again today for an hour or so. I really like it. Surprisingly busy, always a mentor or three popping in and out.  Viola doing a great job. True newbies progressing is a pleasure to witness. Sadly there's a good sprinkling of the socially inept popping up with trash talk quite often, and linden beggars and the like. Thats why I couldn't ever be a mentor. Not got the patience or the skills to handle the more demanding side of it. But the grand mixture of oldies newbies and mentors makes for a most interesting session all in all. It's working well. Hope that continues a long time.  

Do they beg and trash talk in voice? I was there a bit out of curiosity. But I have voice off.

Without voice, it looked nice. Not much happening in local chat. But I understand that it is better to talk in IM, or else newbies (and others) do not get who's talking to who unless the name is in every sentence.

Several fresh newbies rezzed in, always a mentor or more, oldbies like me standing a bit to the side. Several of us standing next to "friend" sitting group.

I also saw a few new-ish persons, one or two weeks old. And that's good, isn't it? They came back after the first day.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't know any of the right stuff, but thanks!

Yeah but if somebody spent even ten minutes talking with you they would be completely hooked and never leave sl. The right stuff is being welcoming and entertaining to be around. Everything else you can learn from a youtube vid. XD

R.gif

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.