What would an SL achievement system look like?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Achievements idea for "Creator":

- Make a Thing

- Put the Thing in the MP

- Sell the Thing

Creator Challenge # 1

Make a Thing

Put the Thing on MP

Get the Thing Flagged

Redo Post for the Thing so it doesn't get flagged

Sell the Thing

Get Comment on theThing

Creator Challenge #2

Obtain and Rez a House

Retexture the House - as all one texture

Retexture the House appropriately

Take the House back into Inventory

Creator Challenge #3

Build your own House

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

These all seem pretty reasonable -- but I'm not clear on the intended function of such a system.

Do you think that anyone who has been in SL for more than a month or so is going to continue to be interested in "leveling up" by, say, walking 50k metres? Do you think that's going to be perceived as an accomplishment by most long-term residents?

What is achieved by this? What "happens" if I level up?

My immediate thought is to look at it the same as any other MMO.

Same as "level to 60" is more fun with a friend, or we can find groups in SL like the drivers or sailors ones, maybe "walk 5000 meters" with a friend could work in SL. 

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

Y'all are forgetting teh ultimate achievement:

"Become FIC."

Do you have to just earn it once or maintain it? I used to be but I fear my nefarious plotting to make the proletariat suffer has fallen off in recent years. Really should get back to it... 

• Like 1

Achievement Unlocked! Standing In Place Doing Nothing For Hours

Achievement Unlocked! Blew All The L$ On Whoop-Dee-Doo Again

Achievement Unlocked! Sold A Freebie You Got Full Perms For 10L$ As No-Mod/No-Copy/No-Trans

Achievement Unlocked! Avoided The Entire Mainland For 7 Years

I could go on, but yeah. Nah.

Edited by PheebyKatz
ONE derned misplaced letter... sigh.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, it was a fake level up that I made a long time ago. When I was talking to a new person I'd activate the level up which played a sound, showered glowing particles and animated my avatar. I only played this prank a few times.

Oddly enough, when I activated it for this picture, it made me feel quite elated. I think achievements would give new players a small dose of happiness that encourages them to seek new achievements and keep them playing in SL.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2023 at 2:30 PM, Arwyn Quandry said:
On 7/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

Y'all are forgetting teh ultimate achievement:

"Become FIC."

Do you have to just earn it once or maintain it? I used to be but I fear my nefarious plotting to make the proletariat suffer has fallen off in recent years. Really should get back to it... 

The more Alts you have in the FIC, the better.

• Haha 1

Maybe an achievement system like this (with all the crazy achievements as well as all the functional achievements combined) would be a good way to build a portfolio with the aim of being a mentor.  Someone who has visited 1000 regions.  Someone who has built a house from scratch. Someone who has worn an entire folder of trees.   All of these "achievements" represent problems that needed solving and therefore can be useful to others who are going to have to solve these problems. 

Therefore, an achievement system like this would of course be "opt in" for those who wanted to develop that kind of personal record of having done all the things; it's an instant Curriculum Vitae for such stuff as Mentorship.

• Like 3

While I think this is a good idea (and I only skimmed this thread) I just wanted to mention that toward the end of LL in Sansar they made an achievement system as well as a really good tutorial.  I did both to see what they were like.

The achievement system was a game of sorts and you did build skills AND you got credits that could be used on the Market (and only there) so you could outfit your avatar.  It did not help keep people there however so most likely this will never happen in Second Life.

Just some history.   

• Like 1

is a interesting topic this

in a game where there is no game then the only measurable levels (measurable in a non-game achievement sense) I think are those that reflect status insofar as that status reflects a value that supports the world. Reflected status being profile badges. For example:

Badge 1: Linden staff
Badge 2: LDPW staff
Badge 3: Second Life/Belli Mentor
Badge 4: Linden Event Helper (Birthday, etc)

Badge 5-8: Emeritus Badges for 1->4

Badge 9: Charter Member
Badge 10: Lifetime Member
Badge 11: Premium Plus Member
Badge 12: Premium Member
Badge 13: Premium Minor Member

Emeritus badges also for 11->13

Badge 14: Estate Owner (where you leasing region direct from Linden)

Badge 15: Estate Owner Emeritus

Badge 16-17: Marketplace Shop Owner (17 = emeritus)

Badge 18-19: Community Gateway provider (19 = emeritus)

Badge 20: Code contributor

Status badges that people get for doing/contributing

then there are merit badges that the company Linden awards (like annually) similar to Hall of Fame. People who have made a long time contribution to the world. (I can think of a whole bunch of people who I think would be deserving of being included in the Second Life Hall of Fame for their contribution to our world). Has been 20 years now so I think Hall of Fame is worthy of consideration

as can be seen from this list, there are heaps of badges (levels in a game where there is no game) that can be achieved. And no doubt is some levels/badges that are not listed here

people can have more than one profile badge

a thing about badges is that Linden do provide this already for code contributors (menu Help \ About \ Credits) so I don't think it would be a biggie to extend this to other areas, with the caveat that people are able to not display their profile badges if they choose

One of my friends built a club and a group called SL*t Scouts. They had a number of achievement merit badges (maybe they should have been called "Demerit Badges), but I can't list any of them here for reasons which should be obvious.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

These all seem pretty reasonable -- but I'm not clear on the intended function of such a system.

Do you think that anyone who has been in SL for more than a month or so is going to continue to be interested in "leveling up" by, say, walking 50k metres? Do you think that's going to be perceived as an accomplishment by most long-term residents?

What is achieved by this? What "happens" if I level up?

I wonder if they earned lindens when they had it.. If they had lindens then, I'm willing to bet that's what it was.. Maybe something like the premium membership took over and eliminated the need for achievements.. Getting that 1000 linden bonus or something..

I haven't read beyond your post, so  if someone already said what it was and I'm way off, that's par for the course.. hehehe

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:37 AM, ValKalAstra said:

I've pondered the question about achievements since decades ago when they popped up in gaming. I still don't understand it and have since learned that there are people, that "farm" achievements by buying *****ty one dollar games with easy achievements to inflate their achievement score on their profile and I have learned that people absolutely riot if something has got unattainable achievements that break their 100% score and...

Achievements be weird.

I believe a lot of games add them later, mainly to keep people playing the game.. Great news everyone, We've added Achievements, so now you can go out and reach your own personal goals and earn vanity items to show off to your friends.. hehehe

3 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

What is FIC?

Feted Inner Core.

Someone imagined that LL treated certain users more favourably than the rest. She called the group of such users the 'feted inner core'. She believed that it existed, and she probably still believes it exists, but it was just her imagination.

Edited by Phil Deakins

4 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

What is FIC?

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Feted Inner Core.

Someone imagined that LL treated certain users more favourably than the rest. She called the group of such users the 'feted inner core'. She believed that it existed, and she probably still believes it exists, but it was just her imagination.

I think the truth was that when the SL world was much smaller there were some very active creatives who were highly engaged with SL, attended LL-run gatherings, and helped showcase the possibilities of this new platform to the outside world.  Because of this engagement they got to know some Lindens well.  It's not surprising if they got extra attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I think the truth was that when the SL world was much smaller there were some very active creatives who were highly engaged with SL, attended LL-run gatherings, and helped showcase the possibilities of this new platform to the outside world.  Because of this engagement they got to know some Lindens well.  It's not surprising if they got extra attention.

My understanding was a bit different. She complained that certain people got special treatment, such as the ability to buy sims at lower prices. Some people do get lower prices, of course, but it's because they buy in quantities, and anyone can do it, not just a feted inner core of people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I believe a lot of games add them later, mainly to keep people playing the game.. Great news everyone, We've added Achievements, so now you can go out and reach your own personal goals and earn vanity items to show off to your friends.. hehehe

Funny enough, to my knowledge* any game releasing on either of the consoles is actually obligated to have a certain amount of achievements as part of the certification process.

No achievements? No release.

Although you're right that some keep adding more over time to have people come back.

* From residual knowledge and peeking through the docs for the process. I haven't found info for Nintendo so might be they allow you to release without them.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Feted Inner Core.

Really?
I'm not so sure.  There is no organized group, but IMHO there is an amount of people active in SL that are more equal than the others, like some animals in George Orwell's Animal Farm.
There are people circling around the Lindens like bees around an open honey pot. And that is not for nothing IMHO.
Networking. Old boys network it is called in business abracadabra. FIC in SL terms.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Almost Saturday again.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Funny enough, to my knowledge* any game releasing on either of the consoles is actually obligated to have a certain amount of achievements as part of the certification process.

Although you're right that some keep adding more over time to have people come back.

* From residual knowledge and peeking through the docs for the process. I haven't found info for Nintendo so might be they allow you to release without them.

I wonder if that was something that became the norm later in the game creating world..

I remember some games added them as content later on, like when content would dry up between expansions or patches..

48 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

It only shows that Second Life isn't a game, but a social platform.
Each and everyone has to come up with their own goals just like in real life, whether it is to have the most beautiful avatar west of the Mississippi, accumulate the largest virtual shoe collection of SL, running the most exclusive Nightclub on a beach, find a lover for life or like me trying to earn my monthly tier bill with selling virtual stuff for Bellisseria.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

My understanding was a bit different. She complained that certain people got special treatment, such as the ability to buy sims at lower prices. Some people do get lower prices, of course, but it's because they buy in quantities, and anyone can do it, not just a feted inner core of people.

So some buy their way into the feted inner core but it is still a feted inner core. I would suspect too that creators in general have more sway into decisions and policies the Lab incorporates then just the consuming residents. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.