LL should buy the Cinnamon and Chai bodies from Slink

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks. My Legacy-wearing alt just asked in the "Legacy Lovers" in-world group and got passed three items:

• MeshBody Welcome Box 1.1 (Add me!)
  • BoM Activator + Materials v1.5b [MESHBODY]
  • Magic Eraser v1.0 [MESHBODY]

They're Copy+Transfer so if the situation ever arises, we can distribute them like samizdat among the survivors. (I haven't investigated in any detail what they do. And I only just took the 1.5 body update, so it's just like Christmas morning, with wrapping paper all over my Inventory floor!)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

With the new 1.5.1 update even the small risk of possible problems in such case is gone. Before you only needed the web portion of the HUD to activate the BoM and chainge nails colors, the rest of the HUD never needed their servers in the first place. Now there are chat commands to activate BoM, clean layers etc. And the nails now support 3rd party appliers too (kit is available to everyone).

Good news!! 😄

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Thanks. My Legacy-wearing alt just asked in the "Legacy Lovers" in-world group and got passed three items:

• MeshBody Welcome Box 1.1 (Add me!)
  • BoM Activator + Materials v1.5b [MESHBODY]
  • Magic Eraser v1.0 [MESHBODY]

They're Copy+Transfer so if the situation ever arises, we can distribute them like samizdat among the survivors. (I haven't investigated in any detail what they do. And I only just took the 1.5 body update, so it's just like Christmas morning, with wrapping paper all over my Inventory floor!)

Even better news! I hope the update is for the Perky one too.

Can you send me a copy? I can not join a new group, since I downgraded to Basic. I am maxed out. 

I have Perky, but I use only Maitreya since it has lower complexity. It is good to be prepared anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, Marianne Little said:

Can you send me a copy? I can not join a new group, since I downgraded to Basic. I am maxed out. 

I have Perky, but I use only Maitreya since it has lower complexity. It is good to be prepared anyway.

I think it is all their bodies, even the free classic body.. I have the Legacy and the perky.. If you wear the body they should send you the update..

If not, you should be able to use the redeliver without being in the group I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Re. the Legacy updates... You can use the chat commands from a script. They've done the owner check the clever way. Nice!

Maybe not much you can do with it, but turning the toenails on and off (with a script in whatever is being worn) could be useful in conjunction with wearing a foot alpha for automated outfit changes.

And yes - just wearing the body should pop-up an update dialogue. At least on the free one I have.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I just received an update notification the moment I put on a demo of the Perky body I picked up a couple months ago but had never tried on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

Re. the Legacy updates... You can use the chat commands from a script. They've done the owner check the clever way. Nice!

Maybe not much you can do with it, but turning the toenails on and off (with a script in whatever is being worn) could be useful in conjunction with wearing a foot alpha for automated outfit changes.

And yes - just wearing the body should pop-up an update dialogue. At least on the free one I have.

Oh, cool! My two male alts use the free Legacy... the older man does anyway. But I'd be happy to try the free one again. I mess with it once in a while.

Uh oh... *shuts up so thread can go back to C&C* 😁

Edited by JeromFranzic
It's the free vessel, not the L$5k or whatever
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Oh, cool! My two male alts use the free Legacy... the older man does anyway. But I'd be happy to try the free one again. I mess with it once in a while.

Uh oh... *shuts up so thread can go back to C&C* 😁

Ya, I have the classic on all my alts and they all got it the moment I put on the older version..

• Like 2

Got the updated version of Legacy.  Although I still LOVE the overall look of this body and the chat commands are a great thing, I still will not nor can not justify wearing it.   Naked with just hair and earrings put me close to 1M triangles.  My Reborn body, fully clothed, is 1/2 that.  Maybe they could work on optimizing the entire thing with the next update?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It has been tough this year for any area with mostly small independent creators (in general, not just talking Second Life). When money is tight, it's not that people don't spend, but they're going to buy everything else first. The little arty things are last on the list. The main way around this is not to put everything into one business angle. I made enough money with art outside of Second Life, which covers any drop in Second Life sales. But I'm also working on a few things that aren't mushrooms (the horror) to spread my Second Life sales around a bit.

For someone in bodies and other wearables, the obvious thing is to try stuff that isn't so dictated by fashion. Decor items don't age half as fast and don't need to be constantly updated as body fashions change. Also, the usual advice to put your shop in your signature, your profile, and anywhere else where you can shout it from the rooftops. You want to be sure that people know you exist.

As I said in other posts, I have been selling in SL for a long time and have never experienced what I've experienced.  I've always sold and never had a bad month. I was selling when there were scultpties.  Learning mesh has been newer for me but I'm pretty well knowledgeable at mesh enough now to say I finally made really good items and cute and original and a bit arty so they wouldn't be like anything else on the grid.  I would say I did switch just this year more to new clothes items than decor than I ever did before.  I've always been mostly decor.  New decor, I was waiting for Spring because of Halloween and Christmas, I didn't have much at all for that.  This post is for @Pixieplumb Flanagan too.  Pixieplumb, I sell both inworld and on MP but there is no business for me now, as I said, unless a special sale.  I am doing sales and having business but never experienced that before either.  I've always sold without sales too.  shrug

I wanted to say also that I've had a bad five months or so since gasoline prices shot up and inflation has been madness where I live. Six dollars for a loaf of bread is double the usual price before the war.

Edited by EliseAnne85

I am in the danger of derailing the thread further, I just say, it is not smart to release a product to a high price in these awful times, when RL prices rise and rise.

A year ago, we came out of the pandemic when C & C was released. And a body that can use nothing of what the previous body did, not even shoes? Sorry if I remember wrong, and  C & C could use shoes and rings made for Slink.

Belleza gen X also came out with nothing you could use of the previous things you own, and a crazy high price.

I think the female body market is filled up. We saw a new, thin male body succeed, but that found a niche for thin and androgyn avatars. That body is selling for 2000 L. I consider replacing the male avatar who has Slink, with it.

2000 L is where I can say "It is not so expensive". I can talk myself into buying it.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo and adding a few words
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am in the danger of derailing the thread further, I just say, it is not smart to release a product to a high price in these awful times, when RL prices rise and rise.

A year ago, we came out of the pandemic when C & C was released. And a body that can use nothing of what the previous body did, not even shoes? Sorry if I remember wrong, and  C & C could use shoes and rings made for Slink.

Belleza gen X also came out with nothing you could use of the previous things you own, and a crazy high price.

I think the female body market is filled up. We saw a new, thin male body succeed, but that found a niche for thin and androgyn avatars. That body is selling for 2000 L. I consider replacing the male avatar who has Slink, with it.

2000 L is where I can say "It is not so expensive". I can talk myself into buying it.

This is a very good point. 2000L is kind of the upper edge of my "eh, I'm willing to piss that away" range. It's about $10 RL USD and I'm usually willing to shell that out if I really like something and haven't been overspending lately. 5000 is more in the range of "sit and think about it for a month or more" and often decide against it. The only things I've spent that much on are my head and horses.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the female body market is filled up.

I don't think it's 'filled up', but I do think that a side-effect of the avalanche of new bodies over the past year has been that people are more critical and careful about buying into new ones, and that creators being in a rather tough spot of figuring out what rigs to do adds to the suspense of whether a body will 'make it' or not - no one wants to be that fool that bought a body that no one ended up making clothes for, but if no one buys the body because they want to wait whether it gets supported by their favourite creators, the creators might perceive it as pointless to rig for it because no one uses it.

From a technical point of view, I was very happy with C/C, it ticked a lot of boxes that appeals to me - but it was a little curvier than I liked and I figured I'd just sit back and see whether it would actually have anything made for it. Then I kind of forgot about it entirely, as I barely ever heard anyone talk about it or saw anyone make stuff for it. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't think it's 'filled up', but I do think that a side-effect of the avalanche of new bodies over the past year has been that people are more critical and careful about buying into new ones, and that creators being in a rather tough spot of figuring out what rigs to do adds to the suspense of whether a body will 'make it' or not - no one wants to be that fool that bought a body that no one ended up making clothes for, but if no one buys the body because they want to wait whether it gets supported by their favourite creators, the creators might perceive it as pointless to rig for it because no one uses it.

From a technical point of view, I was very happy with C/C, it ticked a lot of boxes that appeals to me - but it was a little curvier than I liked and I figured I'd just sit back and see whether it would actually have anything made for it. Then I kind of forgot about it entirely, as I barely ever heard anyone talk about it or saw anyone make stuff for it. 

And yet, nobody of the creators have picked up on the cheapest body & head of them all: the Ruth one.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I agree with you 100%.  *Waits for the FOMC minutes to come out today and U.S. jobs report Friday; these two things should tell us if we are going into a recession or not.*  But, yes, rl prices were rising and rising and rising.  I have had to cut back my SL spending.  

As far as her C&C bodies it may not have been what people were looking for as the photo shows average housewife to me.  But, the picture I put up doesn't show how it might have been able to be shaped and I never tried a demo of it.

SLINK brand is still an icon.  My viewpoint about tons of bodies is it's a lot of work for creators, especially if we go into a recession.  It's becoming apparent it is best to wait to make sure that new body has creators behind it as Orwar said.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

10 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

And yet, nobody of the creators have picked up on the cheapest body & head of them all: the Ruth one.

I have one of the Ruths on an alt, and it fits enough Maitreya stuff that I'm not sure creators really need to design for it specifically. (There's also the argument that if someone is looking for completely free, they're mostly looking for freebie clothes too instead of buying, which--considering this is an alt I rarely use--is fair in my case.)

2 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I don't know that it would be a smart move for designers to invest time creating for Ruth. If people are too cheap to spend money on a body, they are probably too cheap to spend money on clothes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But yet when I purchased this cheapie complete avatar based on Ruth body and head for 300L$, the alt was hit on way more then my regular account with her top of the line bodies and heads

6571a1cf1947822c8b704875775ba107.jpg

Was it a new alt that you got those things for?

I was gonna get the ruth for my one alt, but I wasn't allowed to give it money at the time and I think it cost like 1L$ at the time and I didn't have squat.. lol

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But yet when I purchased this cheapie complete avatar based on Ruth body and head for 300L$, the alt was hit on way more then my regular account with her top of the line bodies and heads

Because people who rarely upgrade their own avatars (ie most men) are less intimidated / more inclined to chat up someone who isn't decked out in $50 USD worth of mesh stuff. 

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Was it a new alt that you got those things for?

I was gonna get the ruth for my one alt, but I wasn't allowed to give it money at the time and I think it cost like 1L$ at the time and I didn't have squat.. lol

No, it was an alt who had no mesh body or clothing and I didn't want to spend big money on upgrading. I didn't realize it was a Ruth body and head until later when I was inspecting it and realized it was a version of Ruth done by a friend who had already given me the body and head but it took the KG creator to do up a shape to make that particular one passably pretty.

6 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

Because people who rarely upgrade their own avatars (ie most men) are less intimidated / more inclined to chat up someone who isn't decked out in $50 USD worth of mesh stuff. 

Yes I somewhat agree with you on that though to be fair, I had a number of compliments also from females who were fairly high end.

2 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Because it's giving eager noob.

No, most were older more established accounts though sure, there were newer accounts too. I'd chalk it up to having a girl next door sort of look rather than the haughty fashionista snob. In any case nowhere near "irreparably ugly". That then wouldn't be the fault of the mesh itself but of the one playing with the shape sliders.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2023/01/siddean-munro-slink-mesh-bodies.html

Would you be willing to sell Slink to another brand or even Linden Lab?

I am not selling Slink. I haven't yet decided what I will do with the thousands of assets that I created over my time in SL. I still need some time to regroup. The assets are and will always be my intellectual property and I haven't given anyone permission to sell them in SL post closure of my store.

Edited by AzureWaves
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.