LL should buy the Cinnamon and Chai bodies from Slink

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Siddean has put an amazing amount of work into these bodies/ She was one of the original creators making mesh hands feet then bodies and has been an amazing resources to anyone wanting to learn how to mesh. When so many body creators will not give a kit, Siddean was so kind and allowed people the opportunity to get the kit and learn.

I understand that LL has been working on a body, but it is still not available, with no release date at this time. This is a great opportunity for LL, this is a current, optimized body that can be used right now. This would allow new people to get a current body, people who want to create a kit to work with and try and learn to make clothing.

One of the fundamental things that attracted me to LL was the ability to make clothing, to learn, and share my creations. This is one of the things I feel is sorely lacking these days in SL,it is so difficult to create with the learning curve, and even more difficult when you have no access to the developer kits.

LL don't miss this opportunity, see if some kind of deal can be worked out, this would be a benefit to everyone on the grid and to SL.

@Patch Linden

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I couldn't agree more.  Having a standard and well made mesh body for new avatars is key to retaining new players.  Standardizing in any market creates a increase the overall market  for everyone.  Having easily available developer kits for designers puts everyone on the same page and encourages creativity.  LL has shown themselves perfectly willing to buy companies to fill a need in SL (Caspervend!).  This would solve a huge problem.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I also agree! Slink was the first on the market for realistic hands and feet (remember having to tint the toes in the generation before realistic mesh feet and appliers!). Sid worked on Bento with the development team and she produced two well optimized bodies for Residents. As Sparkle said, we don't know the situation with the SL mesh body right now and this is perfect for LL to catch up to the market with developer kits, both that are already built and ready for use! We need a mesh body that is ready for newbies that is supported widely by creators. I would support these bodies if LL made these the default bodies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Except for the part where literally no one wanted the shape of Cinnamon and Chai - it wasn't cartoony enough for the Kardashian Krowd and too matronly for the other side of the fashion spectrum. I will be sad to see SLINK leave the grid. I still wear the hands and feet for pictures where those are the main, featured portion of the picture. But C&C was a major misstep.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 6

No, they should not.

Like Blaise already sayd C&C was a big mistake by Slink. The body that no one wanted and used, aside of body's creator, of course. But most importantly, the only mesh body and classic head is not a great solution to say the least, so they'd have to also get the deal for the compatible mesh heads, put it all together along with working skins, starting outfits and so on. It's not a day's worth of work, not a week's and probably not even a month's knowing LL.

NUX avatars will most likely be out before this could ever be finished anyway. Besides LL has already invested resources and time into developing those, so they won't (and shouldn't) put time and money into such questionable temporary solution.

• Like 7

I don't see any reason why they'd buy the rights to a random body when they have one being worked on by the team. NUX was far enough along to show last year, so it doesn't look like they're struggling. Also, even trying to negotiate something like that would be a lot of stress for the creator, who was very clear about needing a break. I get that you're sad about the closing and want to try to keep it going somehow, but sometimes things have to end.

• Like 9

Polenth got a point about NUX.  Yes, it hurts to see Slink leaving the grid and coming to the end of an era. When Siddean decides to leave, we have to learn to let go. Okay, fine, we grieve.  We will always love her and feel grateful for what she brought to SL.

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 7

No.

They have not stepped in to "save" other product lines in the past, Casper's systems are a fringe exception that required intervention (one of if not the last remaining system of its type in widespread use).

I'd not encourage such a thing for any of the present Mesh Bodies on the market either.

Move on.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Contracting the body from Siddean does not preclude the Nux body, it gives new people a good body right now, it keeps a developer kit available right now for people who want to learn.

We have no clue when this Nux body is coming, could be next month, 6 months, a year who knows. I really hope that they are developing a body that is as good or better then what is on the market. Anything less is short sighted, it needs to have a developer kit that is accessible to all. That is what should happen, but I am not holding my breath.

Every day LL loses new people who decide to give SL a try and give up in frustration. I personally have helped people who have come to SL spent a $100 thinking they where buying the right things only to find that none of it was right or really useable.

This is not about just being sad about Siddean closing, I am. We are losing more than that with her leaving. Anyone who has encountered the gatekeeping that exists with getting a developer kit for a current working body will understand. Is this body the perfect shape for everyone? No, nor does it need to be, people  buy different bodies and heads to suit their changing tastes.

SL needs a current mesh body today, we need an accessible developer kit for it today. LL should have addressed the need for updating Ruth and giving us a mesh body years ago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sparkely Sugar said:

this would be a benefit to everyone on the grid and to SL.

i don't think it should be kept.

Some creations last for a while, Slink did it for a very long time for SL meanings,  except for a certain amount of players it fades out since long time. It's a natural thing to happen.
The focus has to be in the new developments.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Its bad idea as slink kit was most painful work with.Yes she did shared with everyone kits and yes she is really great person but sorry her skinning was one of most worst ever i worked with.If llabs would plan to buy some body and make as standard sl body i def would be Maitreya. The body done really simple and with small tunes on back bones weights that body could be main body for those who come new in sl. For creators its easy work on kit too.Such body kits like slink was reason why i got pain in my  twists by manually fixing all skin weights.I wouldn't bet on Slink .

• Confused 2

… but why? 

The fact of the matter is that Slink was unable to keep up with the demands of the grid. It’s a sad truth, and I absolutely wish the designer the best in the future. However, simply hanging on to something just because it once made us happy is.. packrat syndrome. It’s the reason for spring cleaning. It made us happy once, yes, but others have swept in with replacement options. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sparkely Sugar said:

I really hope that they are developing a body that is as good or better then what is on the market. Anything less is short sighted

Then you didn't follow news or threads about NUX at all. LL themselves said about it not being a replacement for any existing bodies/heads on the market, but rather a stepping stone for the new users so they'd get used to bento, mesh bodies/heads and everything else classic avatars lack compared to the modern ones. And so the new users wouldn't start with just as terrible look as they do now, too.

I would guess it'll be similar quality to some of those gift mesh bodies+heads combinations I see around every now and then, some from Altamura and other stores. Not great by any means, but usable and still much better than those sticks classic avatars have instead of fingers and toes.

I personally have helped people who have come to SL spent a $100 thinking they where buying the right things only to find that none of it was right or really useable.

Should they also provide everyone with a library full of quality bento animated furniture too then? How about quality landscape, decoration, vehicles? I know a big number of stores that used to make really good things for its time and then got abandoned or closed, with creators leaving SL for a while or for good. Because I also did help a number of people with pointing them towards good stores after they got baited by something like "the best bed in SL for a mere L$5000" on the MP only to find it's some old garbage. As you can guess it's new users for the most part, as more experienced ones already know better.

We are losing more than that with her leaving.

No, we do not. Slink hasn't been relevant as far as new creators/creations go for quite sometime. Some big few that can afford to pay the rigger still have HG size included in some releases, but that's about it. And C&C never got any support whatsoever.

Like others have said, she did her part in and for SL, some of it was successful and appreciated, like hands/feet pre-mesh bodies days. Some not so much, like the C&C body. She moves on now, and it's time to move on from her creations, too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, norajulian said:

… but why? 

The fact of the matter is that Slink was unable to keep up with the demands of the grid. It’s a sad truth, and I absolutely wish the designer the best in the future. However, simply hanging on to something just because it once made us happy is.. packrat syndrome. It’s the reason for spring cleaning. It made us happy once, yes, but others have swept in with replacement options. 

it is not  being a packrat when new users have no body at all

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Then you didn't follow news or threads about NUX at all. LL themselves said about it not being a replacement for any existing bodies/heads on the market, but rather a stepping stone for the new users so they'd get used to bento, mesh bodies/heads and everything else classic avatars lack compared to the modern ones. And so the new users wouldn't start with just as terrible look as they do now, too.

Actually I have followed, and I believe this is short sighted and a huge mistake on LL's part. It has been my hope that they reconsider what they are making.

You do not need furniture, landscaping, furniture etc to get started in SL, You do need an av. Providing a quality av would encourage new users to stick around and learn about the world. No one wants to stay in a world where they look bad, and can not figure things out. This is about increasing user retention, providing a mesh body that is of good quality should be a basic thing provided when you start SL, access to a creator kits for a mesh body should be available to anyone who wants to try.

SL used a world where anyone was able to create, there was a lot of joy in creating things for yourself and friends. This was a huge part of SL and it has been lost along the way with learning curves getting steeper and the inaccessibility to developer kits. As it stands now you can not get a developer kit for personal use if you are not a store. Not everyone wants to have a store.

While I can understand that from the perspective of a mesh body brand, as a user of SL I think it is not acceptable to not have a body that is attractive and useable with the ability to create for it.

If Nux is going to be lower quality, less than and not have a developer kit, I see no point in it, it solves nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's so much fun when people who can barely figure out their personal home economy start screaming about how the government should run things. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

It was said back in  the middle of October that we should be seeing the NUX Avatars in a couple of months.. They were introduced 6 months ago at a preview at SL19B.

They won't just be mesh bodies, but also mesh heads With Bakes on Mesh, full Wardrobe, Hair, skins and whatever else is coming with them, Plus the Developments kit.

The problem new users run into is having to piece things together and getting them all to work.. Most new users are going to go for the free things like the free mesh bodies and free mesh heads.. Most of which hasn't been updated in years.. Now they have to try and mix and match things that work for those..

It takes new users forever and day  to get a mesh avatar put together before they can get out there and really start to enjoy SL..

With the Nux complete mesh avatars, not only will it give them a better starting point in the curve, but also opens up more lanes in the world faster with a complete uniform mesh avatar.

Right now there are already free mesh bodies they can grab, but then they still have to gather all the rest of the stuff to finish the avatar.. Not just all the other stuff, but the right stuff.. The hair, skins,clothes and so on..

If it were just a free mesh body, the problem would have already fixed itself.. It's the jigsaw puzzle of piecing the perfect Frankenstein together, troubleshooting why this isn't working with that  body and this head, why is there a line in my neck , how come my toes are black, where are my eyes, how come I have two sets of eyes and so on, is where the big frustration comes in..

The Nux is so close from what we were told 2 months ago.. We should see them hopefully in this month or the next if they are on target..

A complete Mesh avatar is what new residents need to make the start less frustration, not another part added into the mix of parts already there..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, Sparkely Sugar said:

Actually I have followed, and I believe this is short sighted and a huge mistake on LL's part. It has been my hope that they reconsider what they are making.

You do not need furniture, landscaping, furniture etc to get started in SL, You do need an av. Providing a quality av would encourage new users to stick around and learn about the world. No one wants to stay in a world where they look bad, and can not figure things out. This is about increasing user retention, providing a mesh body that is of good quality should be a basic thing provided when you start SL, access to a creator kits for a mesh body should be available to anyone who wants to try.

SL used a world where anyone was able to create, there was a lot of joy in creating things for yourself and friends. This was a huge part of SL and it has been lost along the way with learning curves getting steeper and the inaccessibility to developer kits. As it stands now you can not get a developer kit for personal use if you are not a store. Not everyone wants to have a store.

While I can understand that from the perspective of a mesh body brand, as a user of SL I think it is not acceptable to not have a body that is attractive and useable with the ability to create for it.

If Nux is going to be lower quality, less than and not have a developer kit, I see no point in it, it solves nothing.

The NUX Avatars can't be better than the better products out there sold by the users running businesses here or LL would be going in direct competition with it's residents.. Their goal is to make a better starting point for new users to help retain new users, not to piss off the Mesh business world and start having them close their doors.

New users need something complete that they can work from and learn from..  If some of them or anyone on the grid for that matter, wants to create things for the NUX, they will have the Dev kits for that as well.

The learning curve is so much steeper because,  new users have to work with a mixed bag of parts.. With the NUX Avatars, they'll be starting off with everything that works together.. They can  now get a different head if they want, and learn the differences from their current head..

If they were to ever make a deal for a mesh body on the grid, I would think it would be with Maitreya, because of the amount of content it has on the grid as well as the amount of support it has from the user base.. For a male I would say Signature Gianni or Belleza jake.. Then you still have to cut deals with head creators and then hair creators,skin creators, clothes creators and so on, before they would have a complete mesh avatar ready to go for new users..

A mesh body itself won't fix anything, it would just just add to the already existing curve of mixed parts.

• Like 5

I guess it's a bit of a conundrum. On the one hand, LL wouldn't want to scare away new users with ugly standard avatars, giving new users the prospect of having to purchase pricey alternatives to be socially accepted, and, last, but not least, a steep learning curve on how to customize these bodies and head in rather convoluted ways. On the other hand, LL wouldn't want to drive out thriving mesh body and head businesses by competing with them, since these businesses are in large part the hands that feed LL.

Having LL adopt an older mesh body would maybe be a nice middle road.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The NUX Avatars can't be better than the better products out there sold by the users running businesses here or LL would be going in direct competition with it's residents.

That has never stopped LL before. And why worry about competition? Putting such a basic but important product solely in the hands of resident businesses will result in what we have now.. some of them leaving, leaving customers to scramble for other options. LL should want to offer the best body out there, that doesn’t mean the alternatives won’t thrive, they will,  because there’s no way LL will be able to keep up with all the quirky demands of the customers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.